Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin finds further errors in 2020 election returns: 26th Jan 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

We do know that NI has even a bigger homeless issue than the South.

I don't belive for a second that SF will solve the housing issue, in fact they would probably make it worse.

Also, if they need FF to go into power, there wont be anything near as radical in terms of housing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You make is sound like SF do not have a plan to solve the housing problems. Surely they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They do and it’s another party with a plan to do things differently to the incumbents.

Whether it works or not remains to be seen. But what is certain IMO is that we have to do many things differently.

Share what?

I am referring to the many different ways of doing things that SF and indeed other parties have offered in the many many debates around the problem areas of housing and health etc.

I presume this will be the ways things are done if in power

• Advertisement

I asked if SF had a plan to fix the housing issues when you said they do. I then asked you to share it. Now you seem to be (again) makjbgbut sound like they don't.

So, have SF an actual written plan or strategy that will fix the housing problems?

erm, aside from PR sound bites, there is no substance in any of that. Is there an actual strategy with details rather than populist waffle*

* I presume the same waffle is also on the FF & FG websites but the previous comment was that they have failed so SF as an alternative is a better option

Well anybody can do that.

One thing is a fact though, 100 years of FG and FFs way has been waffle, unless a housing crisis is the objective.

I'm confused now Francie. Do SF have details of how they will fix the housing problems os is all they have just some populist slogans e.g. "Reduce and freeze rents", "Increase supply of affordable homes" or "Create sustainable communities" which are worrying lacking in any kind of detail?

We know that the attempts by FF & FG to intervene in wht rental market has made it even worse. SF look as if they will continue with this policy though. As for increasing the supply of homes, where will they be getting the builders from? As for the nonsense to " Enshrine the right to housing in the constitution", what will the referendum question be and will this mean that i can soon stop paying my mortgage?

Have SF any actual details apart from the same kind of populist crap that the government parties have been giving us for the last number of years because you seem to be struggling to provide me with anything?

• Advertisement

If you think the info is deficient, why not ask them?

I have been listening to them for years and I'm happy they will approach it differently. They may not solve it but at least we will have tried.

Francie is being taken to the cleaners here.

But what is most important here is the fact that there is very little known about or scrutiny given to SF's housing policy.

It is just assumes that they are better than the current lot. That is a dangerous thing.

I'm actually not trying to take anyone to the cleaners though. My question was genuine and I've been left feeling that SF, despite their constant and usually justified criticism of government housing policy, have no actual policy of their own. It is somewhat deflating tbh because it wouldn't be that hard to put something together which would outshine the FF & FG housing policies.

To be told by our resident SF mouthpiece that I should go and ask them does feel like a "would you ever feck off" response from someone who usually has all the information available regarding a topic on SF. I never had much time for SF and this isn't encouraging me to keep an open mind on them.

I explained this fairly and squarely.

I will vote for SF because they offer a different way of doing things. I have come to that conclusion from listening to the many many debates over the years.

After the mess FF and FG (who I used to vote for) have made of these areas, we need a different way of doing.

I couldn't quote you FF or FG housing policy either - but I can see the results though and they are not good enough. If something is 'not good enough' do you vote for it again and again?

Not this 'mouthpiece'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭maccored

if its a junior party to anyone it wont work. Not too sure what I'd feel of a FF/SF coalition though. Not too sure many shinners would be into that

I don't think they'll fix housing in isolation. theres many contributing factors to housing issues, including the state of the health service and mental health issues that lead people to end up on the street. one thing we do know for sure is that FF and FG havent handled housing well at all over their century of role swopping. As long as SF do better than that it'll be an improvement

They wont have a choice tbh.

There are not enough votes for SF and the broad left to form a government and even if you did, can you imagine SF, Labour, SD, The Greens and the PBP/Solidarity crowd in a government?

SF will have to take its medicine if it wants to form a government and go to FF. That is the nature of coalition government. A reality sorely lacking from some SF supporters

theres always a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

If they're the largest party this time around and don't go into government, they'll have an awful lot of questions to answer to their borrowed voters.

There will be a core vote from the permanently disaffected who do not understand how our elections work and who will rant about how it is somehow anti-democratic, but ironically those are the voters they're likely to lose if they DO go into government and don't have a magic wand to fix everything, give them all free houses and increase the dole to a grand a week.

There's always a choice.....they're not always good choices

I doubt those who believe that even vote Fionn.

I don't see any evidence of SF offering that, so why anyone would expect it beats me.

I think voters will expect a fairer system and a start on fixing the main issues

• Advertisement

Ah come on now, Francie.....you're engaged enough with politics that I can't believe that you've not encountered someone claiming that MLMD should be Taoiseach because SF, 'won' the last election, or someone making claims on how they're voting SF because they'll look after, 'the poor' and moaning that FF/FG have never done anything for those on benefits despite our very high rates and our annual fiver rise, or how they'll fix everything by, 'taxing the rich'?

Not suggesting that ALL people intending to vote SF are so inclined, there's plenty I've spoke to with a, 'well they might not fix everything but couldn't be worse than the other shower' mentality too.

I said I reckoned people like that don’t vote not that they don’t exist.

I'd disagree, I think plenty of those people vote. Certainly there are some so disenfranchised that they never vote, but there have always been a core, 'the Shinners will fix everything' vote who are out every time. Now they're joined with a new cohort who were previously disenfranchised non-voters but have bought into this mentality and are now voting because of the aforementioned reasons.

i think a lot of the general disaffected public now seem to believe SF believe in 'open borders' etc etc etc, so I wouldnt be banking on those votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Quite the opposite.

Given some of MLMD's statements about the protests, and her support of protesting communities, there is more than a little of playing to the gallery going on from Sinn Fein.

In my opinion, calls for more consultation and more information are just facades for racist anti-immigrant behaviour to hide behind. MLMD is indulging these people for votes.

Any update on Sinn Fein housing policy? Been travelling around rural Italy and rural Spain for the last few weeks and have to say, we have it far far better here. But I am sure Sinn Fein can tell us how it will get even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In what way do we have it far better here? We seem to have the worst of both worlds, bungalow blight yet finding housing is difficult and unaffordable.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Well said

It is a bit disconcerting to see Francie Brady, who is a 24/7 social media poster advocating a United Ireland / SF policies, unable to explain what exactly SF would do in government (if they get in to government) to fix the housing problem, surely one of the main issues facing the country if not the main issue?

Just saying "ah sure they cannot be any worse than FG / FF " is not good enough. Before leaping from the frying pan in to the fire, voters would like to know the plans the army council ( who both the Gardai and PSNI have said "oversees" SF - who knows if that is still the case? ) would have for the housing situation?

who is a 24/7 social media poster advocating a United Ireland / SF policies

What specific SF policies have I advocated on here?

Politically, my primary goals are to see the breaking of the 100 year power swap and a UI. If the SD's look like it is they who can do it, they get my vote in the next GE.

I'll judge SF when they are in power just as I have FF and FG the Greens, Labour etc.

I'm a republican, I am in agreement with SF on some issues, though not all.

• Advertisement

The standard of living in Ireland is far higher than anywhere else.

Just look at this, apartments being turned down for houses by social housing applicants. Bad internet connections? In parts of Europe, there is no internet connections of any worth.

Advertisement