Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin finds further errors in 2020 election returns: 26th Jan 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yet it seems their support has peaked and is now trending down.

Shouting and roaring doesn't make policy.

Besides, they are going to need FF to go into government. Cant wait for the explosion of anger from the usual fools on social media about how SF 'won' the election but are confused as to why FF are getting ministerial cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,044 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, not as yet 'trending down'.

They dipped in the second to last poll and are back up to 31% in the latest poll. This is common in all parties. The trend is UP from the last GE.

No, not as yet 'trending down'.

Not true.

Its clear their support has peaked.

As I said, I heard this claim before...when SF were on 18-19%

Do you accept the trend is UP since the previous GE?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Are we a month out? To answer the question we are not

I don't think I need to explain how irrelevant your post is.

Back to the topic and no more of this nonsense

Sinn Fein are up to eyeballs in this type of "errors", I expect to see plenty more coming out over the next few months/years. If voters want to ignore then that is their decision. Certainly nobody shoudl expect the entire population to be that stupid

• Advertisement

We have seen errors across the political class.

What we need really is the government to fix the regulation problems they have presided over for decades. Stop ignoring the calls from the regulators for the appropriate powers.

No more of this nonsense as you would put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I'm sure the media especially RTE are scrutinizing Sinn Fein's accounting more than any party in the history of the state.

But the fact of the matter is both FF and FG need to be scrutinized equally intensely.

If RTE took their cloudy goggles off during the build up to the financial crash of 2008 and held FF to account, maybe Ireland's young people wouldn't be servicing the resulting enormous national debt for the next 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,226 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If anything demonstrates the amount of trouble stored up for Sinn Fein on this issue, it is the significant amount of whataboutery and deflection on this thread aimed at talking about absolutely anything else possible other than the Sinn Fein problems with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

They are not used to being the No.1 party in the country..

And do not have all the slick moves that FFG have picked up over the last 100 years or so..

Lets all hope they learn fast,, the whole country will depend on them very soon,, Thank God ..

Did you find any evidence of on-going inquiries yet?

Any of the three vested bodies will suffice.

Revenue.ie, SIPO or the Gardai.

• Advertisement

Ahh its a vendetta now against Sinn Fein is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Of course. That bit is obvious. But we need to be on guard against all parties, that's all I'm saying.

We have a grave pension crisis bubbling under as reported in the news yesterday, caused by idiotic and questionable FF and FG decisions made in the last 20 years.

Footing the bill will be the young people who were not to blame in any way.

Is that the pension crisis where Sinn Fein are opposing all reasonable solutions such as increasing PRSI and raising the pension age?

The biggest problem with this government is that it doesn't always stick to its guns and face down the populist nonsensical opposition parties, but hey, that is for the government threads.

I'll stick to the problems with SF finances on this one.

Sinn Fein's financial issues can be fixed. And probably will be.

But I think when parties like FF and FG screw around with our taxpayers money, this is a lot harder to put right, and is a much bigger concern for me. And they need to be reminded about what they done. How they screwed our country into receivership with impunity from RTE and the rest of the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Be careful what you wish for. Who was it that said at least with FG and FF a relatively tiny percentage (if at all) of their politicians were ever accused of violence or being members of illegal organizations?

I am not sure if any of the current Sinn Fein politicians in the Republic are from that time in history. Maybe there are one or two. But they are from a bygone era. A bit like FF and FG in the 1930's/1940's.

The pension crisis is discussed all the time.

The reason we have that is because lots of people during the boom and still today don't take out a personal pension even with all the tax breaks. The idiots in this case are not the government but the people not taking out the pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Please do not bring us back to the mentality and times of the '30s and '40s!

When Mary Lou got chosen, who chose her? I understand Sinn Féin's ard comhairle met in Belfast and she was the sole nominee?

Its not a claim, just look at the graph.

Polling shows that support has peaked for SF and is trending down. We are talking about the now.

Your attempts to dance on a pinhead doesn't change this.

• Advertisement

Trends

This term typically refers to the long-term patterns over time relating to topics of interest in public opinion that are measured by the repetition of the same question with unchanging wording over many years. An example of a survey that includes many important trends is the GSS, one of the nation's longest running surveys of social, cultural and political indicators.

You can claim anything if you set the parameters to suit yourself.

What I said, 'the trend since the last GE is UP' is correct.

More recently, to say 'SF have dropped from their highest ever polling level' is also correct, but having regained ground in the most recent poll you cannot yet say the trend is down.

Believe what you want. That's as far off the topic I am going.

The truth is the truth. Some posters want to spin and because SF is still above its general election position, they want to spin that as an upward trend. All you have to do is give a fuller explanation as follows and their spin is exposed as more silliness. How about this:

"The trend since the last general election initially saw a significant further upturn in fortunes for Sinn Fein, however this has levelled off and there has been a continuous ongoing downward trend since last summer, which, however, still leaves Sinn Fein above its general election performance for the moment."

Nobody can disagree with that.

More dancing on the pinhead.

The lengths people go to do say black is actually white is amusing.

All I said is that support for SF looks to have peaked and is trending down.

I posted a graph to support my point of view.

That is all

Actually holding at 31% would be the fair assessment. 8 or 9 points up on their GE performance.

And trending down from its peak of last year..

You can say whatever you want if you arbitarily set peak points. Like when the 'peak' was set at 19-20%, events soon proved that it wasn't their peak at all.

In that way you could say all parties are down from their 'peaks'.

It effectively means nothing but you do get to use the word 'down', I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

yeah sure - its peaking AGAIN marko surely, as apparently SF always seems to have peaked or will do well in the polls but not in an election (that got busted last time).

Face it lads, SF will get into power and show up FF/FG for the conmen they are. Or maybe they won't. I think most people are willing to take the gamble at this stage. Rather though than fixing the broken stuff, the current government spends its time slagging off the opposition.

If the government wasn't making such a hames of everything from housing to immigration to health to the cost of living (basically in all aspects of government), then the opposition wouldn't be an attractive alternative in the first place. lots of feet shooting going on..

Who do yo think SF will get into power with?

FF seems to be the obvious answer but there goes your narrative about the 'power swap'.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Face it lads, SF will get into power and show up FF/FG for the conmen they are. Or maybe they won't. I think most people are willing to take the gamble at this stage. Rather though than fixing the broken stuff, the current government spends its time slagging off the opposition.

If the government wasn't making such a hames of everything from housing to immigration to health to the cost of living (basically in all aspects of government), then the opposition wouldn't be an attractive alternative in the first place. lots of feet shooting going on..

Out of curiosity, can any of the SF fans here tell us how exactly (assuming they lead the next government) they will solve the current housing problems and over what kind of timeline?

• Advertisement

What I would be looking for is a better effort at 'solving it'.

The current mess created and nurtured by FF FG policy or lack there of is untenable.

If SF create the same mess and nurture it, they lose my vote too. Simple as that really.

Advertisement