Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching about Gender

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hilarious that you think your kids will believe you unquestioningly and won’t make their own minds up based on other influences and what they see in the world around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

Take your fingers out of your ears for five seconds and read what I've said if gender dysphoria persists past puberty in a small minority of cases then social and medical transition has been used to help this gender dysphoria presumably in the adults you know. What competent adults do or decide is up to them and what's best for their well being. We are talking in this discussion about children who are medicalised before puberty when in previous studies puberty resolved the gender dysphoria.

Again I did not say that all "trans" children were autistic or mentally ill i linked a source for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭briangriffin

Completely false we have a completely different approach to treating these children its the affirmative care model that's change the number of children who are trans not the acceptance of society or the evolution of humanity in the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's interesting isn't it. You accuse me of having my fingers in my ears but the idea of actually talking to real trans people seems to scare you.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,171 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Because you just confirmed what I said. I'll take the first two:

Exhibit A

You: What is a child's reference point for definitely being trans? Is it that a girl likes playing soccer or a boy likes dolls?

Me: You don't know the difference between something you are and something you do

You: (asked the same question again)

Transphobia - you made absolutely no effort to find out...? You just confirmed your own bias.

(Answer - in some cases yes - they just know - but you wouldn't know that because you've never spoken to any, have you? You've never tried to find out? You just decided that what you believe in is true because it fits your transphobic stance)

Exhibit B

You: Explain how brain washing an entire generation of children form the age of 5 into believing men can actually become biological women

Me: Bias just because you don't like it, it's 'brainwashing' - it's not even on the syllabus how could it be anything to "an entire generation of kids" who are barely able to read? We're not even talking about kindergarten kids, we'r talking teenagers - why are 5 year olds relevant: because it fits your natrrative?

You: the gender unicorn of the gender bread mans .... completely and utterly baseless in science ... How many genders are there? should we teach children all 80 genders should we teach them all the different pronouns? Its indoctrinating an entire generation

Transphobia - baseless contextless accusation - I don't believe anyone says that 80 genders all have different - you are lying and making up bullshit to suit your own bias. And if they do, they're idiots and should be dismissed as such, but for some reason you think it's representative of the entire community - why is that? Because you hate the community and are expressing it here.

You: Explai the increase in referrals to Gender clinics in USA UK and Ireland?

1 - can you prove this? and 2) can you directly link it to being caused by the gingerbread group? Correlation =/= causality and if you think it does, it proves your bias again.

You believe that this is what will be taught in the classroom - with NO EVIDENCE - because this is WHAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE. It suits your transphobic narrative.

CONCLUSION - You have no interest in finding out anything neutrally. Your have your biases and you are just looking to confirm them with lies. You don't know what will be taught or by whom, so you assume the worst and peddle it as fact. You are transphobic and only looking to prove it.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

These changes are being drawn up and lobbied for by activists and ideologues ,good luck expecting much common sense

Exhibit C:

if gender dysphoria persists past puberty in a small minority of cases...

How do you know it's a small minortiy of cases? You made it up because it suits your narrative.

We are talking in this discussion about children who are medicalised.

Ditto - what the **** is "medicalised"?

As for "what adults do" - in a lot of cases, these feelings suface long before the person becomes an adult so they need to be dealt with early. Now - just to be clear - this does not mean automatic transition or puberty blockers - this means ediucation.

The way things are going the only kind of people who will be inclined- motivated to enter the teaching profession, are radical leftists with a Maos red guards style mission mindset

It's be the other side - you need Irish to teach and the radical left see that as a form of oppressive indoctrination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

They can't get teachers either left wing or right.

But I think what will happen is what happens with a lot of teachers forced to teach Religion at primary level it will not be taken seriously because of its contradictions and lack of evidence.

So will be taught as some people believe this etc not as a fact like the Earth goes around the sun.

I think religion doctrinaire instruction should be taught outside the school at primary level.

The same should apply to this ideology

• Advertisement

Didn’t know that ?, Aodian o riordain is a radical progressive and is a fluent Irish speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If parents want to explore this non medically they should be free to do this outside of school.

Lets keep in mind a lot of kids believe in Santa until 9 or 10

You said radical leftist - I don't think he'd qualify as going that far. But generally speaking, teaching is more a conservative (in terms of characteristic rather that political discription) position.

Really?, I thought most public servants were centre left as a rule ? , of course centre left twenty years ago is well to the right today

It's not a rule - ti's just the personality attracted to a certain job.

The main rule in this case would be no personal agendas in the classroom, teach what's on the syllabusm and htat suits a conservative mindset rather than a liberal one.

Have you actually met any teachers? They're the most conservative bunch in general. Most teaching interviews still have 'Catholic faith' as an interview criteria that people get marks out of ten for.

Really? Please show me how and where and when the HSE took on this 'affirmative care' model please? Interesting though that you have to shift the goalposts away from the teaching issue under discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

They might not but they will be given the the facts and ability to make up there own mind, they will know that this idea that there is "57 genders" is completely fabricated by LGBTQ and has no basis in reality or science. And is pushed by a mob of woke attention seekers.

They will be told that there are mental disorders that run parallel with these LGBTQ beliefs aswell.

They won't be groomed into believing all this stuff is good and every notion should be cheered on and accepted, and that it's ok to not be ok with ideas the woke crowd push and shame people into following.

God willing they will be logical and sound of mind with the ability to critically think and spot narratives and ideologies that aren't reasonable.

Well that’s good news if it’s indeed accurate?

Everyone in this thread was never taught about trans people in school and yet we are all well aware of them and what it's about.

You're being dishonest when you say it's to "teach kids trans exist"

You want to normalize it and make it more optional, unfortunately that is very difficult to do based on the fact it isnt normal, and is a contraversial thing in it's very origin...

Don't confuse the above with hate or saying trans people should be treated different, I respect there views but they need to respect people don't want there views pushed on them either and that's what introducing it to the education system is doing. And that will face serious resistance.

And rightly so, you can't enforce one groups rights by trampling over another groups rights.

From a religious viewpoint, yes. From a freedom-of-expression one, no.

• Advertisement

The only question is how long it will take for them to meet their first trans person, and then start wondering what the hell their oul fella kept banging on about. My five year old niece has a non-binary student in her class, so it's more than likely they'll meet a trans student at some stage in primary school. The most likely outcome is that they'll see their da was making a big fuss about nothing, and realise their classmate just wants to live an ordinary life.

If you have a problem with teaching that “ all this is good”, are you implying that being trans is bad?

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

Were you aware of trans people when you were in primary school? Or secondary? My exposure was hearing class mates talking about having seen The Naked Civil Servant on TV, and news reports of Renée Richards, not exactly a balanced introduction. Children are going to experience trans peers, teachers, parents of peers and more, so some basic information helps to avoid conflict and drama down the road.

What rights are trampled by teaching kids about the existence of trans people?

... or they'll have the good sence to not even tell the Dad about it...

Y

Perhaps we should have been? I mean, when I was a kid, there was no such thing as gay teenagers and I heard the same arguments as I'm hearing here and homophobia flourished. Yay, let's keep that shall we? Great idea!

The world changes, society changes - education needs to do the same. It needs to eolve. The idea that it needs to stay the same and we shouldn't teach about the world as it is now is simply ignorant.

I don’t care about religious instruction, I view it as essentially harmless these days , the religion of woke on the other hand is utterly militant and determined to indoctrinate from a young age , they took a lesson from the RCC by attempting to recruit from a young age

There is no necessity to know - learn that trans people exist, no more than their is a necessity to know- learn that albinos exist , the topic gets so much coverage, you would think it was as crucial as understanding how to read and write

Why should LGBTQ get special treatment? we shouldn't be changing to teach about trans and other stuff and LGBTQ should be put well on the back burner peoples sexual preferences should be irrelevant.

And if they open the door to teaching about trans where does it stop? there's an litany of nonsense attached to LGBTQ should they teach about the "2 spirit" sexuality as well? where's the line?

Plenty more important things that should be taught to children rather than that stuff, like first aid for a start and other practical skills that will actually be useful in life.

As I said in my previous comment leave sexuality and religion out of schools and keep unbiased factual learning thats fair to everyone.

Humans don’t change that much in a few generations, this trans thing being the most important issue for kids to learn about is an utterly contrived fantasy, nothing organic about it

Its my right to refuse to have my child be forced to learn something that is extremely subjective and not based in fact especially when its going to be presented in a way that is it is going to be presumed as fact.

I don't know of anyone that wasn't aware of trans people in school, people simply did not care about them.

Trans people are always going to be out of the ordinary its never going to be normal because its not natural or normal, people shouldn't have to walk on egg shells and if someone questions them perhaps the trans person should be calmer and explain rather than cause drama. It would be a good start if they understood the reality of there situation and altho they see themselves as the opposite sex the rest of the world wont see it that way and thats not the rest of the worlds fault.

In short tho the vast majority of people couldn't careless about trans people, conflict starts when trans people want to force there beliefs on others.

For example I think transgender is nonsense I think its a form of a mental illness, do I hate trans people or treat them differently? No, I let them do there thing treat them the same as everyone else.. with respect and so long as they leave me alone I leave them alone. Haven't ever had an issue.

• Advertisement

Well, you did say you though catholic interviews was a good thing, but I don't think it really matters who's opposing the freedom of thought - catholicism or woke. You're just trading one whip for another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement