Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭downcow

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: We are not discussing all of that in this thread.

Anyone can watch that clip for themselves and decide is Danny a disheveled, unslept, broken individual with ptsd or is he a supremacist. To bandy the term supremacist at a decent man like Danny who has worked for all in south Armagh bandit country, all his adult life, is a bit much. Put that title where it belongs in south Armagh. He is in the condition he is due to the south Armagh supremacists

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's an extraordinarily mean-spirited article when it comes to understanding nationalism or republicanism, to an offensive degree. But the problem there is not so much the offence as the fact that the writer's preconceptions prevent him from coming up with any kind of useful or realistic analysis of the situation of nationalism.

He is, as you say, slightly more astute when it comes to analysing the situation of unionism. But only slightly.

The most significant thing in this election is the static unionist vote which — unionists will devoutly hope, but I think they will be right — is due to a low turnout. Low turnout (same number of unionists, but a lower proportion of them voting) is not so bad as a declining number of unionists. But it's still bad. The thought that there are more unionist votes out there to be won is not very consoling if you are unable to win them. Unionism badly needs a strategy to tap what he calls the "untapped well of potential support". But, despite having identified the need for such a strategy, the author conspicuously fails to come up with any suggestion as to what it might be.

And this, I suggest, is because, while he's happy to mutter darkly about "uncomfortable truths about the values and priorities of members of the communities which support [Sinn Fein]" he's not prepared to look at why the DUP is hoovering up the votes of unionists who vote, and at why other unionists don't vote. He talks about "nationalism’s inherent thirst for the stronger stuff. Who wants fluffy, social democratic language about baby steps towards an Ireland of equals when you can have the full-fat alternative?". This is ignorant and offensive, but it at least betrays a critical attitude which he badly needs to apply to unionism. Why is political unionism increasingly repellent, even to unionists? Why is unionism unable to offer a positive, confident vision of the union? And what would have to change before unionism could do that?

Pretty much agree with all you say. Also agree that ordinary nationalist are not moving to support those who eulogise the sectarian conflict, but rather sf have managed to dress up their sectarianism in nice clothes

but yes you are correct on all counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Again you blame somebody else when a Unionist messes up.

I didn't notice anything particularly dishevelled about him much as I didn't notice anything similar in the two jackets Mary Lou and MoN were wearing in the clip you said they were puppet 'poster girls' for the backroom boys of the 'RA.

Again and again we see Unionists default to this kind of rethoric,

that it is all a conspiracy of the Shinners/'RA,

that Unionism is the 'victim' of Vatican/Dublin/Shinner/RA plots (add the EU and Catholic America to that list too),

that they are being deliberately outbred by Catholics having families,

that they need more than a democratic vote of the electorate,

that Unionists have to give and Nationalists have to get etc etc etc .

Danny's comments were not an abberation because he was tired, they are part of a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭rock22

Peregrinus is made of tougher stuff than me. i found the article so offensive and filled with hate that iIgave up half way through . But you feel it is 'astute'.

To add to Peregrinus questions, jf, as you claim, many Catholics support the Union, why are the Unionist parties not canvassing their support? After all if you can convince the Catholic community in NI that their future is with the Union then all your political problems fade away.

But, could it possibly be, that those unionist parties are more wedded to sectarianism than they are to the union. Perhaps a Unionist party led and made up of Catholics would be too much for those staunch Orange men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If I were a citizen of NI I'd resent party workers from the neighbouring state interfering in my election. Just as we in the south would be pretty pissed if the Tories or British Labour Party came over here and interfered in ours.

Quite a lot ( ? maybe majority) if 'citizens of NI' hold Irish passports. So clearly they do not see Ireland as a foreign state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I wonder if someone from the Republican side had made such a fool of themselves if you'd be so swift with the excuses or land in all guns blazing with your usual sense of outrage?

I could take a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Those Catholic Unionists are probably from the same town where those GAA-loving Catholics are also avoiding the Republic like the plague 'cos it's such an alien, hostile place to the simple folk of ... ahem, OWC. If you listened to this user and their straw fictions, the Catholic populous of NI doesn't vote nationalist/republican and are too busy painting their paving-stones.

Reality is not a strong suit of a certain demographic or age bracket of Unionism; not like the DUP doesn't constantly back that up with their words.

"Interference" is a charged word that I think is paints the issues as wildly more problematic than it is. The only reason Tories would ever canvas here within the scope of this discussion would be ... if there were a Tory Party in the Republic. Which, aside from being as likely as Germany's CDU opening a branch in Dublin, would be perfectly normal, legal and typical. I did say it wouldn't necessarily be a smart tactic to have outsiders waffle about local issues - but that'd be just as true for a Dublin FG member canvasing in Kerry; and this is all getting sidetracked by the obvious stunt being pulled by the DUP, noted scaremongers writ large.

And by all accounts, I have had the suspicion myself that McDonald and O'Neill aren't necessarily Best Friends Forever and there's more of a split between North and South than they'd ever admit. But that's another matter again.

What if you were a passport holding 'citizen' of Ireland Furze who has an right to be an Irish citizen?

Unionists have a right to be offended, but as Stephen Fry said, 'so what if you are offended?'

Did anyone say boo when this worked the other way?

Of course they may have Irish passports but as you well know, we have completely different civil administrations both north & south. We may live on the same island, but for all the wishful thinking, we are different states.

Therefore I ask you, would you welcome British political parties interfering in elections in this Republic. Like bloody hell would we, there'd be outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

My optimistic take on the static unionist vote and the low turnout is that they are voters who are rejecting the DUP and all it stands for, but are not ready to vote Alliance yet. If they are won around to the Alliance, that will mark further progress towards normality in Northern Ireland, as the most significant long-term trend from this election is their move into third place.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I can't see any issue with people from either part of Ireland taking part in electoral activity in the other. This has happened pretty much since partition.

People from Britain also take part in electoral activity in NI, but I think not in the Republic. I don't think anybody took offence at their participation in electoral politics in NI, although their impact has mostly been negligible — the notable exception being Enoch Powell who after giving up a seat in Wolverhampton contested and won South Down, and held that seat for 13 years. There have been other instances where the NI Conservatives ran English candidates in NI seats, but their efforts were, um, not attended with much success. UKIP tried it as well, I think.

I just showed you a party from what you define as a 'different state' campaigning here on behalf of FG and Labour. Was there 'outrage'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wherein is the interference though? You keep saying it's "interference", and IIRC even drew parallels with Russians interference with American elections - which seems like a wild swing of equivalence between the open election doctoring that happened in the US & the supposed (it's still completely unconfirmed) issue of some RoI volunteers knocking on doors. It's not remotely comparable.

How and why would some guy form Cork handing out fliers be "interference" in the NI election? You don't even need to open your trap to do that so their origin would be unknown to those taking the leaflets.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

so they are in fact then huffing. whinge until mammy gets them an icecream to keep them quiet

British Political parties have interfered in Irish affairs for centuries. But we are not talking about British politicians ( who incidentally have previously interfered in NI politics) we are talking about Irish people in Ireland . And I would say, all Irish people have every right to engage in political activity anywhere in Ireland.

But what evidence is there that politicians from Ireland did participate in the NI local elections? Can you point to any credible sources?

• Advertisement

Going by the DUP's ability to punch itself in the face, willingly, I imagine - at best - they'll get a totally-definite-pinky-promise from the Tories they'll give the DUP NI Executive more money, if they just go back to 'effin work.

It's said by many a smart-árse on newspaper websites, but has anyone tried just cancelling the pay-cheques of the MLAs? They're not working so shouldn't be paid; bet that'd get the DUP to return to Stormont pronto.

They have form for using handouts from Westminster as a smokescreen for capitulation, Westminster has form for playing along.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Multiple below standard and off topic posts deleted (and replies).

The topic of discussion here are the recent NI Elections , not who killed who and for what reasons ,decades ago.

There are posters that are on their very last chance here.

Here is a solution of mine, for what it is worth, to get stormont going.

1) establish a free port covering Belfast and Larne or Antrim/Down or maybe even all of NI https://www.gov.uk/guidance/freeports

2) heavily subsidise the NI to mainland ferries (I am assuming this can now be done as we are out of EU) it would increase trade but also ease interaction across the Union as this is one of the most expensive pieces of water in the world to cross.

3) don’t just label NI destined food ‘not for eu’, but label all food staying in Uk. Keeps the sense of one nation.

im sure I could think of a few more when these are ticked of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Sure why not tack on a monorail, the bridge to Scotland, a million quid for every good Unionist and mini Union Flags for everyone since we're talking about things that aren't going to happen?

Would you be prepared to support a poll on the issue?

Ask the people?

It was reported earlier up this thread that SF bussed in campaigners to assist with getting the vote out. I opened my remarks by saying 'If this true etc etc' No-one has denied it??

"Irish people have every right to engage in political activity anywhere in Ireland" No they/ we don't - we are still separate states and no amount of wishful thinking changes that.

Sinn Féin can try this out but don't be remotely surprised if unionists see this as hostile interference and react accordingly. It is not appropriate in the current state of affairs between the two main communities and is openly provocative. And therefore hardening attitudes and distancing the day to resolution.

I don’t think there is anything unreasonable on my list.

A number of Freeport’s have been created on the mainland. What not one in NI?

boris muted £60b for a silly bridge just £60m subsidising ferries would be great for the union

treating us all the same with food labelling would emphasise that we were Uk and roi is a friendly neighbouring country.

• Advertisement

Why should you get anything? Nobody else is being bought off to obey UK law.

The vote on the last Assembly election and in these local elections show support for what has been agreed with the EU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement