Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Build-up Tread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cut em off at the source. I see big pressure coming on Luke McG and Harry B from the Munster blitz D. That's how to most effectively stop Henshaw and N'gatai doing damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Great opportunity for Luke McG to compete against Casey and show what he's worth to Farrell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As far as I’m aware, Luke McGrath has never been in a squad under Farrell.

I don’t see it happening tbh.

"Outrageous scheduling!" Whinged Wulliums.

"ROG is playing mind games!" Moaned Dorce.

"A biased ref!" The others exclaimed.

"Well here's nineteen paragraphs of data why we'll win, <HOYVIN-GLAVIN>". Said some, more to convince themselves than anything else.

But the most worrying part for Leinster fans must be... not even Venjur is trolling.

HOOK IT ALL TO MY VEINS.

But the most worrying part for Leinster fans must be... not even Venjur is trolling

Don’t provoke him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You're getting fierce excited about a match that is barely registering for most Leinster fans or even Leinster themselves.

Maybe Munster win and they get their pens out to write a play about beating a Leinster B team who were focused on the far bigger game the following weekend.

Much worse if Munster lose, call being knocked out by a Leinster B team a successful season and then have nothing left to do next weekend except rage support a foreign team over an Irish one, just trying to dig up some small memory of what winning a club trophy is like.

I can’t possibly think why some Munster fans may decide to, as you put it:

…rage support a foreign team over an Irish one

Ya, I can’t possibly think why.

It’s an absolute mystery to me.

Whatever could it be.

Sadly, long gone are the days when there is true spite coming from the Leinster side of these fixtures.

I was there during those good auld days when beating Munster actually meant something - it was an achievement rather than just another day in the office.

Leinster lose every now and again and they might even do so this weekend, such is the way in sport, but these days even when they put out a weaker side than Munster on paper they still tend to beat Munster, even when playing in Thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ABL

It comes with the territory of being the best team. It’s a compliment, even when it’s not intended that way.

• Advertisement

Joint best team in Ireland.

And after next week, joint best team in Europe.

(At bottling finals)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’ll take losing in a final over just losing any day.

When was the last time Munster got to a final to lose one? What are Munster? 4th most successful province in the last 10 years? Or is it third?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Why do ye even react, lads?

When was the last time Munster got to a final to lose one?

Two seasons ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

It would be great for Munster to win tomorrow, they need to go into next season with their tails up and properly turn a corner on a decade of decline. That said, the most important thing is that one of the provinces wins the URC and that Leinster win in Europe. That puts all of us in a stronger position come the RWC. Hammering Toulouse and putting LA Rochelle back in their box is vital to keep the psychological pressure on France, and to boost Ireland's confidence.

Ah why'd you have to go and ruin the vibes with all this non-trolling...

If you read to the end of the sentence you quoted, you’d see clearly that I’m very much aware if you're not.

They’ll be choosing to quench the enormous hole that is there from not winning a club trophy in so many years by picking a single former player over the vast majority of the current Irish team, who they claim to support in green.

This is driven mostly by the never ending rage against anything and everything Leinster. It is okay, I know Leinster have hurt Munster fans for so, so long – people cope with pain in different ways.

I meant just in the Heino, but Munster and Leinster are equally outstanding at bottling ProX finals too. Five apiece.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Good to note it’s nothing to do with Frank Murphy, at least.

You project so badly I'm going to start calling you Foxzeotrolpe

We actually do owe world rugby an apology for him, tbf....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I can't even say this kind of thing in jest and spite.

It used to utterly boil my piss when Munster fans said it about the Magners back in the day and I just can't bring myself to even joke about it.

Proper teams win both trophies.

Cullen slumped back in his chair, his exhaustion satiated only by his sense of anticipation.

His great burden weighed heavily upon him, yet in a moment of subdued clarity he reflected upon his labour. His unfolding masterpiece, his magnum opus.

A full year had passed since a rush of blood handed Leo his impossible task, his Everest. A year of scheming, manipulating, lies, vindictiveness and ... hope.

But the time had come, the day was near and tomorrow - Leo would finally, finally be able to text back.

Goodman and Lancaster entered Cullen's chamber and took their seats at the near curve of the ornate round table in the head coaches office.

"Is it done?" said Leo?

The pair looked at each other sombrely and nodded. "It's done" they uttered collectively.

Leo leaned back in his chair and shifted his gaze to the ceiling where a giant letter 'B' was painted in a maroon red.

He sat like that for a while before shifting forward once more in a tired, reluctant fashion.

"Let's go over it all one more time" said Cullen.

Lancaster and Goodman sighed. They each reached down and picked up the identical folders they had brought into the office with them, and setting them open on the table turned to page 5 with a familiar cohesion.

"Alright" said Cullen, "leave nothing out, this can never be linked back to us".

Lancaster begun.

"So, we entered the Supermac's competition 355 times, all anonymously. No one can trace the lifetime supply award Zebo won back to us".

"Good", said Cullen, "Ryan?"

"We've wired the money to the Chief's through 3 shell accounts, Munster actually think it was there own complete mis-management of the situation that lost them John Ryan... twice" All three laughed.

"How about O'Mahony?" asked Leo?

"As planned" said Goodman, "He didn't leave South Dublin for almost an entire 8 days after the six nations. The subtle change in his accent has undermined his leadership credentials at Munster, they actually played better last week after he went off".

"And he never copped all the lads were talking D4 to him every time he passed out?" Asked Leo

"Not a clue" replied Goodman "lads in Munster are going spare with him calling them the 'goys'".

"Perfect.." said Leo.

"And the ref situation?"

Lancaster turned a number of pages on his folder

"Ah yes" he said as his finger traced down the page, "we rejected all the options bar Murphy".

"Excellent" exclaimed Leo,

"Does anyone know I'm his kids godparent?"

"No" replied Lancaster

"Do they know we own those properties together?"

"Definitely not" said Lancaster

"How about the wife swapping?"

"The what??" asked Lancaster

"Never mind" said Leo, "Forget I said anything"

"Now" he said in a hushed fashion.... "what about Carbery?"

Lancaster supressing laughter said "The sound devices have all been removed and we managed to get Seany back out of the attic" he said triumphantly.

Goodman shuffled uncomfortably in his seat.

"what is it Andrew?" asked Leo.

Goodman hesitated. "I..." "I don't know how I feel about what we did to Joey..."

Cullen's silence compelled Goodman to continue.

"I think operation paranormal activity went a bit too far" he said.

No one spoke for a few moments, which Goodman mistook for quiet contemplation.

Lancaster sniggered. Leo couldn't hold back and he too broke into laughter.

"He really is terrified of Ghosts" said Lancaster.

"Was it Sexton who had to walk him home after the Exorcist?" asked Leo

"No that was Poltergeist, the second one I think" chuckled Lancaster "and Sexton had to check the entire house before he left"

The discomfort was still etched on Goodman's face

"He had a priest in and everything, he hasn't played in months"

"He'll be grand" said Leo, "If he's that bad maybe uncle Joe and Mr. Nucifora can take him for another coffee..."

The sharpness in his tone hastened the brief levity from the room.

Leo sat back in his chair once more and again fixed his gaze on the red 'B' which he had painted just a year earlier. With his pride on the line he thought back to the moment that got him into this situation.

1 year earlier

Leo sat in his office, aghast at Leinster's season collapsing in the home straight.

His phone pinged. He unlocked the screen and saw a new message from Graham Rowntree.

"Howya Odo, out in the semi's, what happened to the conveyor belt LOL" read the message.

Enraged, Leo texted back "AT LEAST WE MADE THE SEMI'S"

He stared intently at his phone, his face flush with anger. He didn't need to wait long as his phone pinged again.

"I bet you TWO euros we beat you in the playoff's next year" chided Rowntree

Without thinking Leo replied "I BET OUR FECKIN B TEAM BEATS YOU IN THE PLAY OFFS"

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Advertisement

You know it’s match day when the tension has ratcheted up in here by about five notches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement