Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Build-up Tread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

its not his "proper" wedding, he just had to get the civil ceremony done. Its not that weird.

Looking at the two teams, Kelleher the stand out of the two front rows, beyond that not loads between them. I rate Loughman, Milne is developing well but still raw enough. Ala'alatoa a far better tighthead than Archer, but the red v blue rivalry factor should get a lot out of Archer.

Advantage Munster in the second row, Kleyn is having a terrific season and Beirne is on the cusp of world class. Interesting though in that Jenkins and Kleyn would play a very similar brand of rugby and Beirne / Baird are similarly athletic second rows.

Backrow a tough call. POM Hodnett Coombes v Deegan Connors Conan.

I think people will call this one on provincial lines. No doubt POM a far more established international than Deegan, but the same could be said of Conan over Coombes. Connors looked to be Ireland's openside at one point but injury has derailed his career of late. Hodnett has never been in the frame for Ireland but has had a stand out season that's brought him close to the top table.

Can't really call it but going to give slight advantage to Leinster. I think Connors is a better player than Hodnett and the margin between the two is greater than that between POM / Deegan. I think Conan is a more dynamic player than Coombes as much as Coombes gets through an immense amount of work I think he's more a Rhys Ruddock style 8. Lineout is going to be fascinating but advantage Munster, can't see the scrums going either way.

Overall not a lot between the packs, front row Leinster, second row Munster, back row parity. Leinster the better coached unit however and that gives them advantage.

Halves another interesting one. Munster look to be in a 'getting their best players on the pitch' situation with Crowley moving to 12. I'd take McGrath / Byrne over Casey / Healy personally. Crowley is hardy enough for the 12 channel but will the line hold against two hard carrying 12s? Advantage Leinster at half and mid field to be honest, and that's a significant advantage.

No much between the back three's. I'm a big Haley fan and I don't think it's JOB's best position. Earls v Kearney makes me want to post the jumanji 'what year is it' meme. Daly v TOB is a nice line up as both are up and comers with International aspirations. Parity in the back three from what I can see.

Leinster's forwards replacements are far stronger. If the game hasn't been won at that point, I see the forwards bench sealing the deal for the home side.

TLDR:

Front row: Advantage Leinster

Second row: Advantage Munster

Back row: parity / slight Leinster advantage

9/10: Advantage Leinster

12/13: Advantage Leinster

Back 3: Parity

Bench: Advantage Leinster

Conclusion: Ladyboy's to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What makes you think Beirne isn't fit, he played the full 80 last week. The squad update even specifically said Beirne came through the game without injury

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, he couldn't get legally married in France if he's not a resident there. The 'actual wedding' would be just a party with no legal status.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Pretty happy with those team, all things considered.

Think Fineen Wycherley is a little unlucky not to be starting, given some of his performances of late.

Niall Scannell only recently back from injury but looks like Barron’s out starting hooker now?

Feel we’ll miss Murray or Patterson here, even one of those fit would’ve been helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Given that he needed to give 3 months notice maybe he was expecting the season to be over by now.

What if Munster were away to South Africa for the semi (3 months notice is necessary) he would have missed one of the other.

Yeah, I don't mean he's injured, I just mean he came back pretty quickly from a very long layoff. In an ideal world they'd have preferred to have eased him in more slowly than they've had to. He played 80 last week out of necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

he had it on a wednesday. They always have wednesdays free. it's not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Harry Byrne has been playing well since returning from injury and getting consistent time on the pitch. Tomorrow he's starting the biggest game of his career. It's a chance for him to show he should be ahead of Crowley and that Farrell backed the right man over Healy.

I hope he plays well, brings the ball to the line and puts his outside backs into space.

• Advertisement

Well, we can rule you, Ciaran and me out for definite... after that, not sure...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Handicap has narrowed from 15 to 10 since the teams were announced.

Nah, Beirne is one of those players who is better the more he plays. If he's coming back from a long break, usually he has one poor enough game before he hits form, he was very good last week, I'd expect him to be even better tomorrow.

Munster destroyed Glasgow's Maul last week. Given the team Leo picked today, it's clear that they're focusing on LAR and I'd say most of their training is with that game in mind.

Having Pete, Kleyn and Beirne fit is important for our set piece

It'll be interesting if the same techniques that ruined Glasgow's maul last week will work again this week.

Leinster haven't really relied on the maul to a huge extent this season. They have a lot more variety and plays that they run off of it now; though typically it requires a player with JVDF's passing qualities to be in the 7 shirt.

They've still scored a good amount of tries with it, but certainly aren't Ulster-level reliant on it.

Leinster score plenty of tries through the maul but just as many if not more using the maul as a platform. Different kind of threat entirely to Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

A lot less confident now the teams are out. Obviously Europe the focus, but still, the league matters too. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Munster manage to take this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ahern could disrupt our line outs. He's a big lump of a lad. I'm happy he's not in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Think Leinster will eat that team up. Pressure defense causing knockons, leading to scrum penalties, leading to scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Fingers crossed for Henshaw and Kelleher. I hope they go well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Has it been mentioned that ex-Munster player Frank Murphy is the ref?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's not a big deal, but it is a bit odd. He got married on Tuesday (not Wednesday) so he missed training, the week of the URC semi-final. And this was planned months ago.

For a guy fighting for his place in the squad, it's a weird approach.

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Didn't realise how little Earls had played this season. Only ~250 mins in total from 7 appearances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

It's actually not rubbish, very few will make the first 15 let alone the subs bench next week, in fact you can't even say they've mixed and matched

A lot of the Leinster fans seem to forget that even if they have a plethora of internationals missing, they still have plenty of internationals in their stead WHO WERE THE URC PLAYING SQUAD.

the fact that these guys are playing tomorrow, is justification for the hard work they put in all year.

You can talk about who is missing, the Eurpean front liners but there are still plenty of internationals/ex-internationals in the 23 tomorrow.

By my count at least 13/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

No a big difference between the packs but I can see Henshaw Ngatai making holes in mid field all day. Ngatai has been playing very well and Munster defense will be sticking close to him, perfect opportunity for Henshaw to hit his stride. That's Munster's biggest challenge that I can see, if they contain them they'll go a long way to a win but if they don't it could be a very long day for Crowley and Frisch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I guess they might have travelled on a Thursday anyway. They don't seem to spend that much time out there.

I'm sure he cleared it with Munster like.

I think Venjurs comparative rundown was solid enough.... (Venjurs Venjur's, do I stick an apostrophe here?)

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Quite a bit weaker Leinster team than i expected. If Munster can play with the same level of aggression as last week, they have a chance here.

Leinster’s biggest advantage in this game is the bench and the midfield. Crowley needs to have a big game at 12.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement