Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Build-up Tread

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We're still at four notches for at least a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Excellent Venjur.

Explains why you were so quiet recently, must've taken quite a few man hours to achieve that.

Brilliant.

But also true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There's a few C team members in that squad. Clarkson is middling from B to C. Nick McCarthy is definitely a C team player. TOB is middling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This has been one of the most muted build ups to a Leinster vs Munster game in recent years. It's a huge fixture in the context of potentially winning a trophy, but there is such little hype.

The rivalry has been dominated by Leinster in the last decade and they're clearly focussing on next week's Champions Cup final. Just feel like not enough focus is being put on the decent chance that Munster can win today. They've had peaks and troughs this season, but their style of play is far more likely to trouble Leinster than it ever was under Van Graan.

It's not quite a 2009 turning point in the rivalry when both sides were full strength. But the way the understated build up has gone, with it almost sounding like a fait accompli that Leinster wins, makes me wary of an upset.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Great post and sums things up well. People have been saying this is a shot to nothing for Munster but it's like 10 world cup finals rolled into one for their paid trolls and internet warriors.

• Advertisement

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I really haven't been arsed about this one. My nerves are shot for next week. I'm going into work. I really haven't had much interest in this one. I'm a poor excuse for a ladygoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I feel as if this gets said before every Munster v Leinster fixture these days, each one seems less hyped than the previous. It would have been unthinkable 12 years ago to imagine these two sides playing a semi final in Ireland on a glorious May afternoon and for the stadium to only be half full.

Sad to see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But the way the build up has gone makes me wary of an upset.

Is it fair to say you’re regularly wary of an upset when it comes to this fixture tho, Clegg?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty sure 12 years ago they played in plenty of smaller stadiums that were not full.

Having 20 odd thousand people turn up for a URC match on one weeks notice is not too bad going (though its far from great also).

The reputation and care for the league was a lot worse a decade ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Of course. Derby games are always very tricky fixtures.

But I still have hang ups on how Leinster were favourites to win the league and CC last season, yet came away with nothing after losing to two less fancied sides. The potential for an upset is always there and not enough has been made of Munster's threat. Even Murray Kinsella, who I think is the best rugby pundit out there, seemed quite certain of a Leinster victory which I don't think is as clear cut.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well I'll be watching this one from my couch. And if I had to sum up my attitude to this game as a Munster fan it's most certainly one of "ok, let's get this over with."

I won't say that I'm entirely bereft of hope for a victory, but I find myself hoping mostly for no serious injuries to any Irish players for the WC.

The Van Grann hangover isn't over yet unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'll be so irreparably devastated if we lose this game - at the end of a season when we completely rebuilt our systems, beat a touring side, qualified for Europe and reached the league semi final - that I may not have the energy to erect that large inflatable black and yellow barque outside my house next week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm very very keen Leinster win this. Really looking forward to the battles in the back row, half back, and centre. I'm confident.

Ok that’s enough if the shenanigans.

Match thread open here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement