Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Build-up Tread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

When house of pain drops, what’s a man supposed to do?

Was it Nigel Owens that gasped with appreciation for Larmours wonder try against Munster a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yep and I think he exclaimed wonderful or something like that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I recall Owens, a Llanelli man, also reffing Scarlets v Munster in a major Pro12/14 game at some stage too.

Ultimately, let's just get over it. If Leinster do contrive to lose this game, it will be because of some talking point other than Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anyone else think it's funny that there are two separate threads on this forum where Leinster fans have spent pages complaining about referee appointments in their next 2 upcoming games.

The referee is the referee. You can complain about him afterwards when you lose but getting the excuses in before the game even starts is just sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Little piece of advice; don't click into the Munster thread, your illusions will be shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

well i guess its that its a ref from Munster who played for Munster reffing multiple Munster games . its bizarre considering the amount of refs available .

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am pretty sure Rolland also referee'd an Ulster Leinster game within a year or two of him retiring as a Leinster player, which meant he was essentially refereeing his mates!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

again , bizarre considering other refs available ,

referees aren't allowed ref their own country in an international match , referees should not be allowed ref teams they've played for in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

You think that's bad, I once saw an Ireland vs. England legends match where he stopped refereeing midway through the game and started playing scrum half for Ireland! Despicable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Only record I can find of Rolland refereeing Leinster was Leinster v Munster in a Pro12 match ten years ago, when Pascal Gauzere cried off with an injury.

Both Matt O'Connor and Rob Penney were consulted before he was substituted in and both agreed due to his record and seniority, with Rolland not long finished officiating at Test level. Leinster prevailed 22-18 that day.

So on the Murphy appointment; as an emergency measure I wouldn't complain too much because Leinster will likely win handy regardless, but as a planned appointment and when alternatives are available, why do it and open this avoidable conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭tom traubert

Would it surprise people here if it turned out that Frank Murphy played more times with, and under, Leo Cullen at Leicester than he played for Munster?

(I'll admit it surprised me when it read it elsewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm just so mad right now.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shure he played loads with Graham rowntree as well

Unbelievable. How are Leinster suppose to compete here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

That’s two threads with extensive debate about refs. Propellor head stuff. Let’s dedicate a thread to ref gossip.

In the absence of literally any other news released about this game, what do you expect?

Don't like the conversation? Don't engage, or change the direction.

I don't see anyone else trying to steer the discussion elsewhere other than cribbing about ticket prices.

At least this will all finish tomorrow when the teams are named and there's more cribbing about who's injured, rested, fighting for a final starting spot, maybe playing their last game etc etc

Easy on there. Lots of threads and post match discussions are derailed by this sort of stuff, often disparagingly going into a refs playing history to promote theories as to why this or that ref is biased. See above for examples. It's often bad faith and/or one eyed and is one of the more unseemly aspects of fan culture that is a net negative for the game. So it's not just boring in my view but is often unkind and disrespectful to people who put a lot into the game. I don't ref but I often do sideline for matches and some younger supporters/players see little wrong with abusing refs in a way that goes far beyond humorous ribbing. I have a lot of respect for players and coaches who simply get on with it and take their knocks if a ref gets it wrong in their view, rather than looking for reasons why the ref is to blame for things that go wrong for the team. Pages of discussion reinforcing the idea that some refs are purposely unfair contributes to it on fan forums (think Rassie). My suggestion is that there might be a thread, like the red card thread, where this stuff can be siloed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Might be an idea to circumvent some of this by not appointing an ex-player to ref his old team...

I'm not going to be here complaining about the ref after the match. I rarely (if ever?) do that. I just think its stupid from the URC.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough as it's on the URC to manage optics and appoint appropriate officials, etc. Managing the appearance of fairness should be basic stuff for any league if they want to grow and pointing that out is not going after refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

To be fair to Archer, the three games were all away, two of those in South Africa. 2 wins and a draw against Stormers, Sharks and Glasgow away is an outstanding return. He is also probably influenced by the fact that he had one of the best runs of his own career over those 3 games, going back to back 80 minutes in South Africa and fronting up in the scum on the back of Munster being absolutely minced there by the Sharks only a few weeks previously.

Leinster won't be the only team fielding a weekend side, Munster will likely be missing 7 of their 1st choice 15 (Barron, Snyman, O'Mahony, Murray, Feikitoa, Conway, Nash) and there could be up to 4 academy players in the 23 (Edogbo, Coughlan, Campbell and Philips).

A Munster - Connacht final would be good for Irish rugby, although there is an argument that a Leinster double would be best from an Ireland perspective going into the RWC.

Munster: Mike Haley; Keith Earls, Antoine Frisch, Jack Crowley, Shane Daly; Ben Healy, Craig Casey; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, Fineen Wycherley, Jack O’Donoghue, Neil Cronin, Rory Scannell, Alex Kendellen.

Earls has made a miraculous recovery. Poor Joey still can't make a 23. Zebo nowhere to be seen, what a waste of a signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

That's a much better team than I thought Munster could field. Looking forward to this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭bingobango12

Almost completely second string for Leinster. Noticed no Carberry again and Scannell on the bench. He’s been poor for a while but the poor blokes confidence must be on the floor.

No Lowe, Ryan, Moloney, Ringrose over the past two weeks. Anyone else?

Of likely/certain starters for next week that we know are fit: Keenan, Ringrose, Ross, JGP, Porter, Furlong, Doris, Moloney rested. Which is... fewer than expected. Lowe and Ryan we don't appear to be sure of their fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭durthacht

Great week for Nick McCarthy to get called up to the US Eagles and the URC semi final squad. His Leinster career is probably winding down but this must be a lovely week for him.

Also, delighted for Deegan and Connors as they were excellent in South Africa and it's nice their season didn't finish with the big defeat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement