Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Build-up Tread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

that almost completely second string for leinster is still a load of bollox. how many internationals/ex internationals are in the 23?

you'd have to throw a stone fairly fcuking far not to hit one with the squad Leinster have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not happy with that squad at all really. Sub halfbacks the standout problem, but would like a much stronger bench in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭bingobango12

What’s that got to do with anything? Porter Sheehan Furlong Molony Ryan Doris VDF Gibson Park Byrne Lowe Ringrose Larmour Keenan all not playing. So yes it is second string.

Conan and Henshaw (out of position) only two that will likely start the final next week. Because Leinster have a better squad doesn’t mean this second string team is “a load of bollix” as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shocking that there isn't a better TH in Munster than Archer. Damning indictment of their academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

6-2 split with Earls starting just back from injury is a huge risk. I understand O'Mahony may have been touch and go too but you have a lot of flexibility between Beirne and Wycherly to cover 6. It also leaves Munster with zero impact from the bench in the backline.

• Advertisement

TBF, he's been good enough over the latter part of this season. Good enough that he hasn't been a problem anyway I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Both 15's are pretty even I think. Leinster's bench is stronger however. That and home advantage should hopefully see it through.

Can't overlook the cup tie factor though. Munster lads striving for a final while the Leinster players could be holding back for next week. Hope it doesn't happen, but easily could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Jaysus that is fairly harsh for carberry. Both healy and crowley start and not even on the bench with rory scannall in the 22 shirt.

How long is left on carberrys contract? (Edit I see he is out of Contract summer 24.)

Great to see Earls get a run but is he fit ? And not a lot of cover for him.

Have to carry extra back row cover as pom is hardly fit either

Is it? Leinster's bench looks ropey as hell to me.

Two interesting selections - on Munster first; not remotely surprised to see O'Mahony, but am surprised to see Earls. Good for him and glad he doesn't have to bow out with an injury in SA. Win or lose tomorrow and over the next few weeks, he deserves a proper send off.

Feel like Leinster will try to threaten and stretch that midfield defence between Healy and Crowley. It's a fairly disastrous state of affairs for Joey that he isn't even in the 23 here, and makes it almost impossible to envision him clawing his way into a RWC squad, absent a lot of injuries elsewhere. 6-2 split on the bench again. Any injuries to outside backs will require a bit of rejigging.

On the Leinster side - brilliant to see Henshaw, Kelleher and Healy all healthy, and able to play. Big opportunity for the forgotten man in our backrow Will Connors to show what he can do. Feel like if he can use his elite tackling to shut Coombes down as a carrier, it could go a long way to deciding this one. Also great to see Tommy O'Brien getting a big chance here.

Agreed with the @Podge_irl that our bench looks weakish, especially at half back. Despite that, it's still a strong enough selection and in the Aviva we should be good enough to win this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭TRC10

Jaysus that is fairly harsh for carberry.

Not really. He's been 3rd choice for a couple of months now. Not sure why that would suddenly change. Crowley and Healy still very much the two matchday 10s. Crowley starting the match at 12 doesn't change that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Glad for Earls on a personal level that he gets another game in a Munster shirt , but does his inclusion make the 6-2 split on the bench risky?

If Munster lose a back three player earlyish in game they could be in bother.

It is. McKee, McCarthy and VDF are three very impactful players to spring from the bench.

I see nobody on the Munster bench that can make the same physical impact, bar maybe Salanoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Joey Carbery got married during the week. He was never going to play this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I know he is behind healy and crowley since they got knocked out of Europe but now it looks like he is behind scannell too.

I know they don't play the exact same positions. Where scannell is a 12 who can sub 10. But carberry can play 10 and 15. And you still have cover in the centre from daly and Earls..

If daly Earls or haley go down you going to have a number of positional switches to accommodate bringing in scannell..

It's always the risk with the 6 2 split I suppose.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sadly a likely more accurate statement is "Joey was never going to be playing this game , so he got married during the week"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,137 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not too worried about the leinster half back situation. Harry will do 80, Luke 70. Frawley will come on for Robbie on 60.

The sharks are way more physical than Munster and Harry came through grand, even moving to 12 for the last quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope he refocused and comes back into the reckoning. I'm not a fan of him at 10 but, he's a good player. Full back would probably be his best option. He's due to get back into the squad next season. Healy off to Scotland opens the door for him.

Also unlikely.

Back when he was planning this he still would have been the starting 10 - it really wasn't that long ago.

In reality, he had a civil ceremony because he needs to before having the actual wedding in France apparently. He did it on a down day and it wasn't a big affair and thought he could still play. But he just hasn't been selected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You wouldn't go for 3 10s in a 23. Unless the 10 was better cover for other positions.

Scannell is probably a more solid defender. If someone gets injured he can cover.

Foe example I wouldn't want frisch to go off and have 10/12/13 as Healy, Crowley, Carbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This isn't Vegas. You can't say "hey honey, I've a great idea, let's get married today!". You have to give three months notice.

It's odd that he chose to do it in the business end of the season but here we are.

The key risk though is a back 3 player going down though.

If Earls breaks down, you are probably looking at Haley to the wing , Crowley dropping back to FB and Scannell coming in to 12.

Just lots of seemingly unnecessary disruption , unless of course they are more concerned with POM not lasting the game than Earls.

Leinster's big advantage is in the centres I think. If Henshaw is back to anywhere near his best, he and Ngatai can get a lot of joy. The latter is especially good at sitting down defenders and drawing them in before passing. Could put Henshaw into a lot of space.

I'm a bit concerned that they haven't played together all that much, but neither had Ngatai and Frawley and thet went well enough.

Ngatai and Henshaw are both more than experienced enough to play together and I'm sure they've done plenty of sets on the training field as well.

Just hope that Henshaw can get through the game unscathed.

Yeah, but Beirne likely isn't 100% either. Feels like they probably scrambled him back for Glasgow given the significance of it, but the plan wouldn't have been for him to go 80 last week absent the injuries to O'Mahony and Snyman.

They've gone 6-2 a good few times this season.

I'm surprised (pleasantly) that neither Ahern or Edogbo features for them; I rate them both (especially Ahern) higher than Fineen Wycherley. Probably not quite fit enough in either case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ya its a tough decision either way. If Munster lose Frisch, Daly or Earls they have no cover. In any of those cases you are moving Mike Haley to the wing, who I believe has never played there for Munster. It may actually just be that Campbell and Zebo aren't fit, they don't trust Philips (who still has no contract for next season) or McCarthy (who only joined the academy halfway through the season) and with Nash, Coombs and Conway all ruled out they literally have nobody left to cover the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Henshaw hasn’t been anywhere near his best in his last few outings.

Games are won upfront and with a 6:2 split, that’s where Munster are going to try and win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Not surprised at all that Leinster have rested nearly all their first teamers, should be a competitive game, can see a couple yellow cards at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hodnett finished at 12 against Glasgow. There are risks with the 6-2 split, but we certainly needed the extra forward last week.

Anything can happen, I expect there to be at least 2 injuries to our players tomorrow given the nature of these contests

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement