Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But who will look after you when you're old?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That poster has form for getting triggered whenever anyone disagrees with them. They respond with lies and gaslighting as above.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mykrodot

i know your post in months old but your attitude is great, your lifestyle and your friends sound spot on too!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

All you can really do in life when making a big decision is to base it on the knowledge you currently have to hand. Nobody can read the future. I have no way of knowing anything about children that do not exist.

Piece of knowledge 1 - In general, I find children incredibly annoying and don't want to be around them for extended periods of time.

Piece of Knowledge 2 - all of my friends with children look almost a decade older than I do. They're mostly overweight, greying and look tired any time I see them.

Piece of knowledge 3 - my life is pretty darn great as is. I've my own property, a great partner, a great job, great friends, my health and loads of time and cash for my hobbies that I am very involved in.

Going on the above points, I can extrapolate to a degree as to how my life might change for the worse if I were to have children and have decided not to have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Missed my point.

The poster alluded to the fact that people who don't have a steady job, home or income should not be having kids until all those boxes are ticked so to speak.

A serious question thus arises, How many young people in their 30's or younger own their own home, how many have a job for life, how many of them have substantial savings that can sort them out for 4-6 months?

I'd say if you looked at each criteria, the vast majority of people would fail that test.

Individually, of course, people can decide for themselves.

Lies?

Ha, it wasn't I who stated that to 'handle' being a parent you must satisfy some arbitrary criteria.

• Advertisement

Piece of Knowledge 2 - all of my friends with children look almost a decade older than I do. They're mostly overweight, greying and look tired any time I see them.

That isn't knowledge, it's an anecdote.

Why do people who want to be childfree (and fair play on your decision) need to punch down and use people with children as some mirror to base their decision of?

I know many parents who are fit, happy, and healthy while people without kids spend a lot of their time in pubs drinking themselves away to oblivion.

I know many parents who are fit, happy, and healthy while people without kids spend a lot of their time in pubs drinking themselves away to oblivion.

That would be an anecdote also, no?

Master of the Universe

I was responding to someone posing 'how do you know?' type questions. The reality of the situation is 'I don't' - I just have to base my own personal decision on my experiences and observations of those around me who do have children.

Having kids takes a toll on you physically. From lack of sleep in the early years, worrying and anxiety about providing for them, the physical toll on the body during pregnancy/child bearing, not to mention things like postnatal depression and how it can result in partners growing distant from each other - it's all fairly factual and I don't think it's punching down that I happen to have noticed a lot of the above in my peer group who have had kids.

I am not saying that is every case, it would be ridiculous to say it is. There are plenty of people living healthy lives out there with kids. It's just another risk I'm not willing to take by having them.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I knew what your point was. I'm just interested in how you ended up at eugenics as a way to express that point? But I guess hyperbolic appeals to emotion are all the rage nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"...punch down"

Nonsense. It's the childed who do all the punching, and manipulate government into supporting their optional lifestyle choices.

"...It's like saying marriage is a crapshoot, so whatever you do, don't get married... EVER!"

There are legal escapes from marriage, it's called divorce. You typically can't retract the choice to have children, beyond giving them up for adoption, but the child exists at that point. At best you can foist the burden off onto others.

• Advertisement

True, but I'm not using it as a method to decide wether or not I should have kids.

Nonsense. It's the childed who do all the punching, and manipulate government into supporting their optional lifestyle choices.

Tell us more about this 'manipulation' and support for optional 'lifestyle' choices, and try and say it without punching down.

Master of the Universe

What method are you/did you use if you don't mind me asking?

If you know the history of Eugnics you will know that there have historically been calls for the 'unwashed' and poor to be sterilised in order to prevent them from having kids.

As I mentioned already, most people would fail the 'are you rich enough' to have kids' criteria set out by that poster. Yes, it was hyperbolic, but it had a stench of eugenics of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I wanted a family, as did my partner.

You don't need an Excel sheet for this type of question, most of the time. Often people will know one way or the other. Good luck to people either way.

There is that word again. Repeating it wont make it true my'lord.

Master of the Universe

It's absolutely okay to analyse your choices before making them.

If I had the urge to make any big decision I'd first be asking myself 'why?' just to make sure it's the right decision and I'm not walking into a mistake.

Be that buying a house in a certain area, taking a job, having kids etc.

Deciding to have kids is just another big decision like any other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Clearly none of these perceived negatives are really that much of an issue, based on the fact that all of us are here?

Master of the Universe

What a strange bit of logic. What has us all being here got to do with people having negative experiences during parenthood?

Is it that because we are all here, parenthood can't be bad by virtue of it 'always being that way'?

I suppose what childless by choice people are doing is questioning a status quo. You don't have to have children, which is something society as a whole has somewhat brainwashed everyone into thinking is 'the correct way'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mod Note
    Folks, let's get back on topic.
    Please bear in mind that while this is a divisive topic, this is also the "Childfree by Choice" forum and is intended as a space for those who don't intend to have children for whatever reason.Please respect that.
    Thanks
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They say you die twice - firstly when you kick the bucket and lastly when you're no longer remembered by any living soul.

So forget about who's going to wipe your arse and think of your legacy, children and grandchildren etc. :)

Of course you can try to be famous by other means but that by definition is limited in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We had decided to remain child free, but then an accident happened,

Once we had one we wanted more and that rest is history. Really enjoyed life being child free, and it was a shock when she got pregnant. But life has been amazing with the kids. Better than I ever thought it in a million years t would be.

But I digress. To get back on to the post title ...

What needs to happen in Ireland is that retirement vilagges need to start being built. Proper ones. I was visiting a realtive in the UK who lives in one and it was so nice. You have to be over 55 to live in it. It was its own little village, but on the outskirts of another village and had woods to walk in, a bowling green, cycle lanes, tennis courts, sports hall and a big hall where people could meet up for whatever they wanted to do, all sorts of nice things in and around it. It also had its own bus which did the rounds to all the local towns and villages. There were doctors who would call to the village twice a week and visit people who needed them. There were also nurse who lived there. There was also a service that went to the hospital and back as needed. We need that kind of place in Ireland. But in Ireland all you have for "retirement" villages is a little house in a bunch of little houses and nothing else with it. Its either a nursing home or just a normal house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- please think before you post- and be considerate of other posters.

It only takes a moment to be civil.

The legacy argument makes no sense. Virtually nobody leaves a legacy. The best an average person is getting is something like a park bench with their name on it. A poor return for decades of your life if you ask me.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Pretty much this 100%. Do something with your life that people will remember for good reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We had decided to remain child free, but then an accident happened,

Once we had one we wanted more and that rest is history. Really enjoyed life being child free, and it was a shock when she got pregnant. But life has been amazing with the kids.

i suspect this is common enough; in that people who often don't want kids end up having them for various reasons, and are great parents.

funny thing is, i know a couple, one of whom wanted kids and one who didn't. the one who didn't want the kids is a far better parent than the one who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For me at least, its a pretty good indication that having significantly negative experiences is effectively an outlier.

Otherwise the vast majority of people wouldn't be having kids.

I don't agree that having kids is "the correct way", but its certainly the default way for things that are alive, its pretty much the meaning of and essential to life.

Not having them doesn't make you wrong, but its certainly unusual.

Or, they're having children and don't want to admit it was a mistake. The only way to know what having a child is like is to have one for yourself by which point it's too late to step back.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't think anyone having "accidents" and then going through with them can genuinely, innately not have wanted kids. They simply wouldn't have ended up in that situation in the first place otherwise. I don't want children and have never had so much as a pregnancy scare because I am *militant* about contraception. I simply can't conceive (no pun intended) of any scenario where a) I could end up pregnant or b) I'd continue the pregnancy if I did.

Also, that "die twice" stuff is specious nonsense. What difference does it make that nobody remembers you any longer? You'll be dead, you won't know.

Advertisement