Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Pundits on Men's Sports *Mod warning in Post #42*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

They certainly weren't reading Roy of the Rovers either.

I am delighted that there is a minority of women in Ireland enjoying soccer.

I prefer mixed beach volleyball myself. It is a great sport to enjoy with other genders.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,880 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The best most genuine, articulate, likeable and knowledgeable pundit on irish sports for me , male or female is Noelle Healy….as a player she’s won……..5 all Ireland’s, 4 all stars. All achieved while working as or studying to be a doctor…. Articulate, intelligent and interesting, super nice girl too… certainly a good addition to the ranks of pundits on RTE / irish sports…. And considering her aforementioned achievements, her contribution to the media as relates to the men’s game is absolutely ok with me…

Joanne Cantwell is absolute quality, nobody with a bad word to say about her, a former Dublin footballer and Leinster Championship winner. More presenter then pundit but the point still stands.

Cora Staunton, 4 all Irelands 11 all Stars with Mayo… a very savvy, enthusiastic, insightful and good pundit… and very respected individual.

Stephanie Roche, that’s a bit of a head scratcher… few times I’ve seen her, not the most natural communicator..speaking way too fast, breathlessly tripping over words to get to the end of the sentence … almost can’t wait for the anchor to ask one of her colleagues the next question..

Stephanie contributes from about 1:10 …..^^^ one might think that she is there to add more gender balance ? Possibly or probably but I’d like to think that if RTE are of that mindset that perhaps there might be more suitable alternatives for the job….

Ebony Rainford Brent and Isa Guha are brilliant on cricket…. Both ex internationals, excellent communicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Na, pundits like Neville, Keane, Giles and Dumphy have made brilliant points over the years. I'll always wait to see who's on the panel and then decide if if think I want to hear that person's opinion or not. Some pundits are great and some are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I thought about individual sports like tennis, athletics and golf etc but even there I'm not so sure. There's still a large gap between mens and womens tennis at grand slam level. Someone like Marion Bartoli is very competent and experienced at a high level in womens tennis but she has never had to take on the likes of Djokovich, Nadal or even any of the top 50 male players in the closing rounds of a grand slam. How can she comment knowledgeably without knowing that aggression, intensity and pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

It does seem tokenistic as do some other things like "man of the match" becoming "player of the match" in games featuring only men.

The whole world is afraid of causing offence or falling foul of the ever moving goal posts of what's acceptable.

Female pundits aren't something that bother me but there are definite overtones of having to crowbar them in as a box ticking exercise.

It would seem that the fairest solution would be to have auld lads that would have traditionally been sports pundits turning up in traditionally female places in the media as a means of fully embracing equality.

The spring summer collection modelled by Eamon Dunphy while John Giles and Liam Brady dissect his catwalk form would be a good starting point.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tennis is still played a high level by women in it's own right even if not comparable to the output of men, same with athletics and a few others I could think of field hockey for example .....they are all watchable from a tv spectator point

I've tried watching womens football but I just can't ....there's nothing there for me personally, would love to know the viewing figures it gets on tv and while it appears to be getting crowds in stadia it does appear to me to be a totally different diaspora to that of the mens game

It's all moot anyway, broadcasters all across the board have gone with female pundits from all walks being brought on ......something that is likely to increase more than anything so any amount of complaining won't change that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Re crowds a lot of them give a lot of tickets for free to boost the crowds. At least that was happening in the past.

It may have started out as a box ticking exercise but, pound for pound, I think the standard of women's punditry is better than the men's.

Perhaps it's because women offering insight is a relatively new phenomenon and they take more pride in their notes and due diligence, but whatever the reason, they're not just there to keep the WOKIES happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep absolutely - we can just disengage/ switch channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I watch a fair bit of soccer and, generally speaking, I have found that the closer an ex-pro was to playing at the highest level of the game then the worse they are at analysis. For example, Roy Keane, Liam Brady, and Johnny Giles played at the absolute pinnacle of the game and their analysis is dross. Similarly for the likes of Eamon Dunphy and Richie Sadlier played at a slighly lower level and their commentary, though still terrible, is slightly better.

The same goes for female ex pros. The likes of Stephanie Roche and Karen Carney may have been decent players in their day but when it comes to punditry they're about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I should add, as well, that it is a well-known phenomenon where the best managers tend to have been journeymen (or women) pros at best.

The issue isn't a male or female thing, it is an athlete thing. Professional athletes (and I include the "stars" of gaelic games in this) are people who were incredibly capable physically, at the expense of being absolutely stunted mentally. They may have been great players but that came at the expense of anything other than the most basic intellectual development, where they are now completely incapable of articulating their views. They are pure id. That also explains their lack of impulse control and the various sex scandals you hear over the years of professional athletes (particularly rugby "stars") committing sexual assaults, and so on.

To that end, I have learned not to take any ex-pro's analysis of the game seriously. I am capable of analysing the game perfectly well myself, and the ex-pros' attempts are a novelty similar to when a chimpanzee is dressed up in a beret and throws shíte at a canvas in an art studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Take the analysts with a pinch of salt, male or female. They are all there for entertainment. But i really miss the days when there would practocally be a fight between analysts. When women are on there just is not that potential for a fight. The men are afraid to attack the women. And that kind of banter is not in the womens nature.

What I really hate though is when I see headlines about results nowadays eg "England put four past lackluster Italians" and i click in and its Womens sport that I have zero interest in. Id like them to identify if its mens or womens sprt so I can decide if im going to read the story. Sometime they dont even have the image on the link clear enough in case you might see its not the mens football they were talking about before you click on it.

Dont get me wrong, in some cases the womens is ona par, and even better, with the mens, like tennis and athletics, but in general womens sport is just shite to watch let alone read a report on a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

good post but women’s tennis hasn’t been good in many decades. It’s hopelessly inferior nowadays

True its not as good as it used to be, but its still up there with the mens at the moment, which isnt as good as it used to be either to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Your theory certainly doesn’t hold true with Richie Sadlier. He’s done a bit more than “most basic intellectual development”.

Well there will be some exceptions. Sadlier, for example, had to retire from sport very early so he has close to a decade's head-start intellectually to the typical footballer/rugby player/GAA "star" who retire in their mid-30s. His football analysis is atrocious, regardless, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

I have absolutely no issue with female pundits, as mentioned, some of them have proven to be superior to their male counterparts. A good point was made that being a good pundit does not necessarily equate with playing at the top level of that sport.

What I have an issue with is the script that has been written which presents women's sport at the top level as being comparable with their male counterparts. That is plainly not the case. Granted, sports such as tennis can often produce better contests, but in arenas such as rugby and soccer it is definitely the case that the female game is not as fast or skilful.

The hypocrisy of those in the media when it comes to this is most galling. I would suggest that if you offered the average person on the street the choice of a ticket to a top flight men's match or women's, they would choose the men's match 100% of the time. That is just the way it is.

Men, because of the physical difference, kick the ball harder, run faster and play a contest that is usually more intense than the female equivalent.

This is in no way to denigrate women's sport - one of the best fights I have seen is Katie Taylor's bout with Serrano - but, in the areas of team sports such as soccer, rugby, hurling, Gaelic football, the men's game is definitely at a higher level.

The issue of punditry is a different matter, and as I said I have absolutely no issue with female presenters or pundits. Gabby Logan and Joanne Cantwell are two that spring to mind as being particularly knowledgeable and are at the top of their game.

The lie being constantly peddled that the women's game is on a par with the men's is the problem. It's virtue signalling in overdrive, and needs to be toned down...

Threads like this are always overrun with posters saying rubbish along the lines of "let the wee girleens play their games but the fact is that they're not as good as men," as if a single person is in here suggesting that an adult female professional soccer team could get anywhere near an asses roar of beating a male equivalent. Nobody is suggesting otherwise. It's such a blatant, bad-faith strawman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I went to school with thousands and thousands of women, they all thought soccer was crap and had no interest in it.

This is an interesting comment, and generally true.

In very general terms women are not as interested in sports as men, and men are not as interested in women's sports as they are in men's sports.

So overall women's sports are not as popular as men's.

Various patries like sports governing bodies and the media have over the last few years tried to push a narrative that the opposite is true, that people are as interested in women's sports as in men's.

And thus you have sports stories with headlines like "so and so to start for such and such a team in champions league quarter final", without any indication that it's the women's champions league they are talking about.

And the governing bodies are never slow to remind us how much they support the ladies side of the sport.

But this is beginning to come to a head, especially in rugby, where the ladies are looking for better facilities,a better share of profits etc.

But the governing body is pushing back, because in reality the women's game is not generating anything and has to be subsidized, because surprise surprise it's not actually that popular.

Women's sport is niche, and always will be.

Ladies Gaelic football has been on TG4 for over 20 years, and is well established there and is well suited there, as it's a niche product on a niche station.

He would not be an example I would use to make that point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you read his book? Are you familiar with his counselling work, particularly working with teenage boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is one major difference in the GAA v Pro sports world many have other professions. If they they have white collar professions they are better analysts more often than not. Noelle Healy is a prime example of this, she is a trained anaesthesiologist. Which mean she has a good eye for the little nuances in Gaelic football male/female. Very analytical in her approach, with excellent delivery.

However, I would caveat it by saying not all white collar/highly educated individuals make good analysts. Joe Brolly prime example he does not know how to be an analyst/analyse games. Brolly was more interested in putting on 'a show' in studio.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Honestly I don’t follow GAA analysis, I think both codes have been ruined with financial doping (Dublin in football and Limerick in hurling).

Also there’s this whole shamateur thing they have going on, where county players are amateur in name only and gifted with soft part-time-jobs-for-the-boys-on-full-time wages so that they can focus on making difficult sacrifices like going to training three nights a week and going on the odd jog. Oh and joining a gym (along with some chemical assistance hahaha 😉 shhhh 🤫 ).

There may be the odd exception like Noelle Healy, and perhaps ladies GAA is different overall. But the whole smug-in-their-humble-sacrifice culture around both Gaelic codes in the mens’ games turn me off the whole thing to be honest. Same goes for rugby, for entirely different reasons.

However I have never seen any Gaelic footballer, hurler, soccer player, or rugby professional who didn’t come across as thick as two short planks, whether it was immediately after playing or doing analysis in a studio. There are a few exceptions but they’re not worthy of mentioning, I’m talking about an overall trend.

They get bate around the pitch by teenager boys.

So what?

For a start 'financial doping' is a phrase borrowed from a soccer manager and shoehorned into the GAA to suit arguements and agendas. If you look at GAAconomics by Michael Moyinhan

You will see how money in the GAA funnels back into itself.

--

As for 'financial doping' argument used against the GAA - it is normally used by non GAA people or contrarians looking for an argument online, but that is not a discussion for this thread. It has been well discussed in many other threads. Simply put you can't buy players in the GAA - so 'financial doping' line becomes tenuous at best or laughable at worst.

As regards falling back on your stereotypes of calling most GAA people as thick as short planks, I suggest you go through the Dublin football and hurling team. Look at where they are employed and so on. From all sorts of demographics they are doing well for themselves. Philly McMahon has his fitness/food business. Dr. Jack McCaffery... yes doctor Jack McCaffery has returned to the Dublin fold.

To be honest the GAA in Dublin has become a mainly middle class game. So the majority are erudite and articulate. You only have to listen to Eoghan O'Donnell (Dublin hurler) speaking and giving analysis - for example. Plus look at the areas where Dublin hurling traditionally thrives Ballyboden, Kilmacud, Dalkey. And when Dublin won Sam in 2011 in the football. One of the players started a singing on the bus parade 'We have the poshest full back line in the world'

All of which you plainly have no idea of judging by your post. The next question I will ask why do you think they come across as thick? I mean calling Rugby players thick in analysis, surely omits the fact that many Rugby players work in white collar and are privately educated. Shane Horgan is working in the Legal field in England, for example.

That is not to say you have to be extremely educated to give a good analysis of a game. Tomás Ó Sé is a primary school teacher, and has a good turn of phrase when describing matches or GAA issues. It is unfair to tar all analysts as 'thick' regardless of gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's also when they start introducing the crossover ......at the most recent Fifa awards Englands most capped female player Farrah Williams was announced by the commentator as Englands most capped player ahead of (wait for it) .......Peter Shilton

well I mean that's just crackers really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

@CGI_Livia_Soprano 'along with some chemical assistance hahaha'

That's every sport though.

It’s not, nobody is under any impression that female athletes could compete with male athletes in virtually any sport. The teenage boys battering women’s footballers happen in meaningless pre-competition friendlies.

That doesn’t mean that top level female athletes aren’t worthy of any mainstream coverage, or decent financial remuneration, or basic respect after training their holes off for years.

Vicky Sparks? I agree she is an awful commentator, used to work for Radio Norwich then got promoted to mainstream. Mistakes loudness for sincerity. But there are plenty of Male commentators just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭pgj2015

She is the only commentator that I turn the volume way down when I hear them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

For me, a pundit should be recognisable to the average viewer. I can’t remember a single male pundit that I didn’t recognise. Thus I know they are speaking from experience of playing at the level of men’s professional sport. That doesn’t mean they won’t be thick or boring, but they are speaking from experience.

I never recognise the women pundits. I am sure they haven’t played at the level they are commenting on.

I’d hate to ever be a token choice in a profession. No self-worth.

Advertisement