Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Pundits on Men's Sports *Mod warning in Post #42*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Maybe an hour before they go on air give then a massive feed of pints and coke that would liven things up. Love to see Keane after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Most female pundits speak more sense than the legendary Roy Keane, yet he seems to be the darling of panels, Joe.ie, the Indo etc.

If you actually listen to Keano, he never analyses tactics of a manager or team, he just speaks in generic sound bites. Maybe explains why he isn't the best manager/coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

He a famous sports star & controversial legend. Love him or hate him, he is guaranteed to get views and is therefore there on merit.

The appointment of women to the top pundit/presenter jobs however has nothing to do with merit and everything with the board of RTE being feminists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, but he is not there for his analysis, cos he rarely provides early. He's there cos he's box office, will say controversial things and get cheap laughs.

The pundits are meant to analyse. Keane can't. Lisa Fallon outclasses him, and most other, male pundits when it comes to analysis of the game and tactics.

But gender make up of panels rarely bother me as I don't listen to much of it. I can watch the game without having listen to the likes of Kenny Cunningham or Mica Richards preach to me.

I would agree with the argument that a woman say who plays rugby for Ireland knows what it's like to play rugby for the mens ireland rugby team. Completely different level of sport. Night and day.

No pundits aren't there to analyze, they are there to get viewership numbers. Sports on TV is an entertainment industry. Eamon Dunphy was a drunken mess half the time, didn't hurt his popularity one bit. RTE don't care that forcing pundits onto TV that will result in lower views once its a women in the top job. Hence the thread.

Same with the Late Late, except there it was nepotism rather than feminism that tanked the viewership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Just as well there are no girls on After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Could we get women to do the VAR referees on football? After today's Spurs v Brighton match they couldn't do any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Get the pundits to do referee. Solve every problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is a female commentator on match of the day, she just shouts all the time, its really irritating to listen to.

in general I'm not a fan of female pundits but its all pc these days so we are stuck with them. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What promotions happened regardless of legality please?

Is Ray Kennedy a trans man or something?

Do you have a source for your €50k claim please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod:-

Tone down the blatant misogynistic and sexist rhetoric or bans will be dished out and this thread closed.

Neither of your Exhibits prove your point. The very narrow scheme for Professors is not illegal, and hasn't had any legal challenge since it came in.

The funding scheme doesn't give €50k extra for having a female lead.

Bahaha, I'm sure you'd be perfectly fine with a professorship scheme for men only then? As for it no having legal challenges, well guess what the Troika had to say about access to the law for the commoners of Ireland?

Fun fact, the gardai have been successfully sued for illegally discriminating on the basis of age. Now they've had that age limit for forever, but since no one had taken them to court about it previously then by your logic, it wasn't illegal!

On the Screen Ireland funding, it was true that anything with a female lead was allocated an extra 50K back in 2017, but I cant find that number now. However as my link CLEARLY shows, men are in fact discriminated against by virtue that the extra funding is only given to women!

The misandry and unfairness was pointed out by literally all the commenters in that journal link, Ive never seen all of them agree upon one thing, but as our resident govt. apoligist I can only hope you are getting well paid for your spin.

If there was a huge historic imbalance in access to Professor posts, then I’d be perfectly fine with an appropriate positive action measure, given that positive action is explicitly permitted under equality legislation.

There is no “extra funding to projects with a female lead” as you claimed. There are funding schemes specifically for projects with female leads, which is a different scenario.

It’s fascinating to see the fragility of the downtrodden males in response to simple measures to address historic inequities though.

If you’re relying on Journal commentators to make your point for you, you might as well give up the ghost. How many of the Journal commentators were predicting that the State was certain to be sued for gender discrimination?

I think I need to print this out and frame it.

First youve declared that discrimination based on sex is ok, secondly you give what is possibly the best ever example of doublethink. This level of mental gymnastics is truly something.

Unfortunately that something is sexism, which once used against men, you and boards.ie, (and it's owners distilledmedia) are fine with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

• Registered Users Posts: 23,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Female pundits are identical to male pundits in so far as some of them are utter morons not fit for the job while others are excellent.

The presence of a female does however cause great upset to some of the usual suspects which is always funny.

She's awfull however I found that on red button switch commentary then switch back and there was a glitch and you got NO COMMENTARY , it was great wish it was a permanent option.

just read this on youtube about her. 😂

• Advertisement

You can indeed print it out, along with a nice treatise on the definition and history of positive action in addressing inequality.

Why are you so afraid of actually addressing inequality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The female pundits in the World Cup on bbc and itv were dreadful. Stating the obvious, inability to counter anything said by any other pundits so were just nodding dogs. The perception of women in football would be helped by having a female pundit that could impress but we wait for that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Any female pundit on men's football or rugby has never played the game at anything remotely approaching that level and have no business bring there. Good analysis requires far more than just knowing the theory, you need to draw on experience. That's not to say that all male pundits are good, they're not,some are awful, step forward Rio Ferdinand. All women pundits for top level men's sport are token gestures/ affirmative action or whatever you want to call it. Get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I must say it completely alienates me and I basically no longer watch punditry as a result.

There are excellent women pundits. In cricket, Isa Guha and Ebony Rainford Brent are both insightful and charismatic, and likewise Tanya Sachdev in chess. But so, so often they are vapid and dull, which is compounded by the fact that they often played the sport at a much lower level than that which they’re commentating on.

People say that men can be just as bad, and that’s certainly true. I can’t stand, for example, Rob Kearney. But at least he can be said to be one of the best players of his generation. He’s not very insightful but his reputation gives some interest to what he’s saying. But the women don’t have that, and so platitudes delivered in a monotone are just unacceptable. And, anyway, if they’re going to shake things up and push women on the viewer, the expectation should not be just that they match the worst male pundits.

I know many people will read this as sexist, but answer me why I am willing to watch hours of test cricket with women commentators, sometimes breathing a sigh of relief when they take over from male commentators I don’t like, if my issue with these pundits is their gender.

It’s disrespectful to the viewer to install inexperienced and uninteresting pundits purely on grounds of diversity and expect us not to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If the bible has taught us nothing else (and it hasn't)......its that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling, foxy boxing and such and such.......

Post edited by StevenToast on

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Being a decent analyst has got nothing to do with previous ability as a player. Most of the high level ex pros are dull as dishwater.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

It’s not sexist, but it is misogynistic.

Why does the commentary on a sport have such an influence on whether you watch it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

How casually I’m accused of misogyny - a hatred of women.

I think we might have chanced upon the answer. Those defending the phenomenon are too stupid to assess the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

From male pundits I either want them to be insightful, bringing their years of experience playing the mens game to the table, or entertaining - winding others up, getting arguments going.

Female pundits all come from a level so much worse than the mens game it's beyond belief. Stephanie Roche is rolled out on RTE from time to time and if you dumped her at the peak of her career into the mens system, she'd settle probably at a level in the double figures in the English divisional system. She has no expertise on the mens game. She played at an absolutely terrible level, relative to Premier League level or Champions League level or Mens World Cup level.

And none of the female pundits are remotely entertaining. Just bland and boring. No expertise, no personality. Karen Carney another example. Just an absolutely dire pundit. Nothing intelligent to say, and nothing interesting or entertaining to say. No chemistry with the male pundits.

A pure box ticking exercise that diminishes the quality of the overall show. But the vocal types on twitter that would never watch the sports anyway love it, so of course it has to happen.

Advertisement