Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Pundits on Men's Sports *Mod warning in Post #42*

Options
  • 07-04-2023 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭

From Rugby to Football and even on our own national sports in GAA there has been a big change in the analysts covering big games.

Tuning in for big games I'm left scratching my head as to who these new guests are. I'm wondering what have they done to gain these well paying jobs?

Post game I'm left wondering what did I learn from these supposed experts.

Are they there on merit or is it some form of affirmative action?

Discuss

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Who watches/listens to pundits?

I watch the game, and make up my own mind ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

How much are they paid, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It all depends on what they have to say.

There is no denying that a lot of male pundits offer nothing in the way of "analysis"

So it's the same for the females.

I believe there is one lady that has done analysis on Irish soccer games and she has put her male counterparts on the panel in the ha'penny place with her ability to analyze and articulate.

But even though it's common now to see female analysis, it's not that new.

The Sunday Game back in the 70s had a female analysts talking about hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Augme

Have you ever heard of Google OP? Maybe the next time you are sratching your head wondering how they are, you could Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Sports punditry has well jumped the shark, who wants to listen to an hour or more of dour gobbly gook technobable. Bring back the craic, who cares about the sex of the presenters.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Depends on the quality of the pundit really. Lots of former male players are dreadful pundits so to me the gender of the pundit doesn't matter. With regards to RTEs football coverage give me Karen Duggan and Lisa Fallon over the likes of Stephen Kelly or Ronnie Whelan.

Jane Mangan on racing and Laura Davies on golf are two that immediately spring to mind as being genuinely excellent pundits, regardless of their gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Yep.I've given up on pretty much all sports media in the last few years, I even turn off the sound of most matches so I can watch without commentary.

Much more enjoyable way to watch sport that way, truth is most pundits and sports journalists provide almost zero insight.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Not really anymore though. Often have all female panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

Being a female pundit must be one of the best jobs going. Safe in the knowledge that no matter how bad you are no one can ever say it because you can also just pull the sexism card. Are all male pundits good? No but they'll have to put up with that criticism as ''part of the job''

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Things were much better in the old days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This trend that has exploded in the last two or three years leaves me baffled. To speak knowledgably of either womens or mens sports at any sort of decent level - surely you have to have played at that level in those competitions. I'm scratching my head when I hear a woman giving her expert opinion of what's going on in the scrum of an international mens rugby match - how could she possibly know? Most men wouldn't know even but at least some might. Likewise if I heard John Mullane giving his pearls of wisdom on a county camogie match - I'd be thinking what de f* does he know about camogie at a county level. But you don't hear John M as far as I recall talking about camogie.

I've no problem at all with men or women giving their opinions on any sports as in ordinary supporters. Not quite sure about TV hosts of sports shows, as they steer the inputs of the pundits but you can make an argument there that as long as they don't force their own opinions, it is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I’d prefer Fiona Coughlin doing punditry on men’s rugby to the incredibly boring Rob Kearney or the absurd Matt Williams

can’t stand Jacqui Hurley as a presenter though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is a mixture regardess of gender some are excellent pundits - lisa fallon in the soccer is a particular standout. Aine Gallagher for hurling is very good on TG4. I find Noelle Healy informative and gives good insight on the football (GAA).

But there are others like many of the men who are terrible. Full of cliches and or talk in circles. There is a South African woman named Melissa Reedy who works for SKY. But she talks in circles and just waffles.

Like the OP once I got over the initial shock of wondering who the pundits were, as John Giles would say, I took them on their merits.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I think we are missing the real issue here, all sports pundits are sober is the problem. Bring back the days they came in drunk or cranky or hungover or had a row with the wife and took it out on the rest of the panellists, calling them names and saying they were a sh*te player and an even shi*ter analyst and sitting there in a huff smoking a fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's especially true with Gaelic games as men's and women's games are organised by separate distinct organisations. Women play different games with different rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But the rule difference are very minimal.

Women can pick up off the ground in football, men can't.

There is a "countdown" clock in the ladies game.

But the opinion of a woman who knows her football and knows her football tactics and strategies and can read a game on what is going on in a men's senior game is just as valid as the option of a man regardless of the fact that she never played at men's senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Re: female pundits, some of them are good enough that its hard to dismiss them entirely whatever shortcomings or experience gap they may have.

Punditry in general isn't great. MOTD in particular is too "matey" imo. It is good for comedy double acts like Neville-Keane and Neville-Carragher.

I find some Italians like Pirlo and Ancelotti are capable of merciless, cold-eyed analysis.

After Pirlo scored his famous "trick-shot" chip penalty against England, he said afterwards that he knew the over-confidence of the English team was fake and that all he needed was to cut through it and their morale would collapse.

That is ice-cold and too astute for a waffly television show.

I had to check this wasn't a zombie thread from the 1950s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

The female pundits on the English channels during the World Cup were an incredible level of boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The first Premier League (or former Premier league) player to come out as gay is going to absolutely mint it when it comes to punditry.

On the topic, some of the male pundits are woeful and some of the female pundits just as bad. What I would say is in relation to professional sports broadcasters - the level of competence they should have doesn't seem to be an issue for a lot of the new kids on the block, a lot of it seems to be related to gender balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm usually surprised at just how little some pundits know (or at least, how little they are able to express) about a sport they played at an elite level for so long.

Ronnie Whelan and Damien Duff being two examples.

Lisa Fallon seems to know far more about the game and understand it better than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Depends on the pundit and the sport. Lisa Fallon is excellent and far more qualified than other pundits. Sonia is excellent on athletics. Noelle Healy very good. Ok, some of the female soccer pundits on the BBC aren’t great but then the male pundits aren’t either. Most are not professional broadcasters and have very little training so it must be hard for them.

Agree Rob Kearney is quite boring. Fiona Coughlan is good. Mixed bag really as in all aspects of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

Yiz are missing the forest for the trees.

Female punditry is just a continuation of RTE and the rest of "official Ireland" promoting women into every high profile position regardless of merit (and in some cases - legality).

RTE and the rest of our public sector has been on a 10+ year long feminist free for all at tax payers expense. Advantaging women and discriminating against men all under the slogan of equality and diversity. I have thought yiz would have noticed this by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The six one women’s news is a prime example…

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

For those not in the know, when Dee Forbes was appointed the first thing she did was kick all the male presenters off the six one.

Fun fact: independent productions bought by RTE get 50K in additional funding for featuring a female lead, courtesy the taxpayer via Screen Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

The TG4 rugby pundits are brilliant. Can't understand a focal that they are saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Pure box ticking wokery....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement