Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Pundits on Men's Sports *Mod warning in Post #42*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

The poster said that they don't watch punditry as a result, not the sport itself. Didn't bother reading the post did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

The perception of women in football will never be changed because it is a dramatically inferior level to the mens game. The best womens teams in the world are getting annihilated by under 14 boys teams. It's an atrocious standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭purifol0

Come on now, you know damn well that literally any criticism of a female is utter blatant misogyny, and if you disagree a boards mod will ban you until you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭purifol0

Remember when you closed this thread:

"A girl in work was chatting to me at lunch about her idea that she'd like to see implemented, constituencies should have a minimum number of women candidates, ideally 50%. And a person's ballot paper won't be valid unless they select at least one woman, whether that's first or tenth or whatever preference.

I was amazed what she was coming out with. I hope such ideas are not mainstream. As a woman myself, I would not want to be elected as token candidate. Are quotas rubbish?"

I PM'd you about it, your response was "I have good reason. At the moment I can’t elaborate further."

Anytime anyone starts a thread that is even vaguely critical of women/their opinions it gets modded. This very thread has a mod warning for "blatant misogny" FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I presume that none of yiz have ever enjoyed any commentary or punditry from any of the non-playing male pundits who peaked on the B team in 5th year, the professional journalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

As i pointed out the Mod has no issue with people slating male pundits. Not very good ''Moderating'' now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Despite what some think not all male pundits are good and not all female ones bad.

The point is people getting jobs as a token and then having a different set of standards.

For example imo Joanne Cantwell is one of the worst sports show hosts RTE for had in a long time. Is it because she's female? No it's not. She's just not good. Did she on the other hand get the job because she's female? Yes she did. Ursula Jacob is another good example. If anyone dares say a bad word about her they're shot down. Not forgotten for ''I know more about hurling than Liam Sheedy'' line last year. If a male pundit came out with that they'd be ripped to shreds.

Take soccer for example. As has been said Lisa Fallon is there on merit and is quite good. But then you have Stephanie Roche who's still living off one goal from almost 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The thing about a camogie or ladies football player analysing the respective male sports is that there are different rules so they simply don't have the real-life experience of the game they are covering. 45's instead of 65's in camogie, up to recently you were allowed use your hand to score a goal (may still be a rule, not sure). Allowed to pick the ball off the ground in ladies football and a different tackling parameter. Non-existent kick-out and puck-out routines in both as their skillset is so poor.

It'd be like Roger Federer doing punditry for the badminton world championship. Yes they are both racket sports, but chalk and cheese. At least mens and womens soccer have universal rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are 28 in-game rule differences between LGFA and GAA, with additional differences in games administration.

They are different games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Joanne Cantwell is an excellent host in my opinion.

Suppose that's the thing with opinions.

Jacob on the other hand offers a stream of clichés. But then a lot of pundits are guilty of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think Alex Scott gives an outstanding analysis on each and every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,058 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not really thought.

15 players, the same positions, the same scoring system, the same tactics.

If a female analysts can see that a corner back is being roasted by a forward in a ladie's game she can spot the same in a men's game.

If she can see that a team a pushing up on kick outs or conceding short ones in a ladie's game she can also identify that in a men's game.

A smart ladies player can read a game just as well as a smart men's player.

I do remember. You’re still talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Thinking again about this thread. There is a difference between presenters, who tend to be professionally trained broadcasters, and pundits, who tend to be ex players or current coaches, and who tend not to be trained broadcasters.

RTE punches above its weight in both areas. Athletics: Peter Collins, Sonia, Derval, Rob (Jerry Kieran RIP). Great team. Hard to find better on any channel,. Gender not relevant as it should be.

GAA. I think Joanne Cantwell is a fine broadcaster. Jacqui Hurley fine in both GAA and Rugby. Both professional broadcasters. Again, gender not relevant. Pundits: well pundits vary across both genders. I’d trust Fiona Coughlan to explain what goes on in a scrum to Shane Horgan (who I like) as Horgan has probably never in his life packed down. GAA, soccer, rugby. Good and bad, male or female. But if there is a choice of channel for a match or something like the Olympics I’d always opt for RTE.

The Beeb are good for no ads. Again, broadcasters like Gabby Logan, Hazel Irvine and Claire Balding or Sue Barker do a fine job. Soccer is a bit of a disaster. Can’t stand the ‘blokeiness’ of Lineker, Richards and Shearer, who really have zero insight. Just as bad on ITV. Can’t think of any good male or female pundit tbh. Have to agree with a previous poster that Roy Keane is a terrible pundit. Great fun to watch though and I have great time for his playing record and winning mentality. Female pundits new to the game. Give them time.

Sky and subscription channels. Soccer no thanks. Awful generally. They seem to believe soccer was invented when the Premier League started. Jeff Stelling apart, not worth the subscription fee.

Vigin media a strange one. Rugby ok, but they need to relax a bit. Get rid of the suits for one thing. I like Fiona Steed (Hayes). Soccer. Again ok. Brian Kerr is great in the studio but can’t stand him as a ci-commentator. Never shuts up. They don’t really cover other sports.

TG4 get a pass. Their remit is the promotion of the Irish language and I have no idea what their pundits are saying so they might be very insightful or useless. Sometimes, one of the guys standing there reminds me of the bus driver who’s put in goal in a Junior B match to make up the numbers. Also, that co-commentator is rugby drives me mad. Keeps talking when the ref is explaining a decision to the players. Awful stuff. Donal Lenihan is very good on RTE.

so, to conclude. I watch too much sport on TV. I’m off out for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

'Are they there on merit or is it some form of affirmative action?'

I mean obviously a no and very obvious yes ........there is no other explanation it's just how it is now, simply point it out and you're a this and that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I found myself watching the friendly match between Ireland and USA ladies last night and surprisingly Ireland gave a good account of themselves.

But for some very average goalkeeping for both USA goals they could have nicked a notable win.

Anyway, one thing I noticed from commentary (Hamilton and a woman whose name escapes me) is the referring to the players by their first names.

"Good run by Katie there", "nice tackle by Denise" etc etc.

When did this become a thing??

Re that female commentator, google 'horrid Henry' ........I'd read of the comparison never heard of it but is brilliantly spot on 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's a strong case to be made for equality in male/ female punters in sports where they compete at the same level and against each other - horse racing assuming we call it a sport is the prime example.

Other than that, at a higher level - pundits/ experts should be pulled from panels of people who have played the respective sports in whatever relevant gender. Otherwise you just look at them and think - spoofer. And that applies as much to men commenting on womens competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Congratulations on wiping out the entire field of sports journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There are loads of journalists who never played a serious game in thereblife who comment and write on games. Not 1 poster on here who has said only people who played at a high level should be pundits have never said WHY. Dumpy never played at the highest levels

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Found I started really enjoying sports if I just watched the game, made a cup of tea at half time or a break, and turned off once it is over. Avoid all punditry as well as ad breaks. I detest watching adverts.

Tend to record a lot and just watch it back. Don't need any punditry, thank you, whether it's male or female.

I'd recommend this to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Punditry is just a joke nowadays. Most of the time the goal is to continue the narrative through to weekly shows until the next game. Look at all the Carragher vs Neville rubbish.

Some sports move on so quickly that retired players become outdated within a few years of retirement. Rugby is particularly noticeable at that

Not necessarily even against each other, there are very few sports where that happens .......but athletics for instance where very high levels can be performed by both men and women .......I personally have never had any problem with female athletes commenting overall on athletics, tennis possibly another .......both individual sports by coincidence, maybe it's just the team sport thing that doesn't transfer over as well .......female football/rugby players just don't compete at anything like the same level .....that's where I have the problem with them brought on to comment on the mens game

Presenters or journalists is a different thing altogether, they could be anything doesn't matter ....they never make a play of calling on experience

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Johnny Giles is a much loved legend of Irish soccer but he may as well be giving his opinion on Badminton for the relevance of his experience to modern soccer. His opinion is still worth hearing.

I think the female pundits know they'll be held to a higher standard and generally I find they're well prepared, sometimes better than former male players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It is pure tokenism and only serves to patronise itself. I actually feel sorry for the female " experts" that are being asked to give their input into a sport that no one even knows they play or where they play it?

I don't think coerced sociality is a good idea. Inclusion is not all it is cracked up to be.

Now if she is pleasing on the eye mind you.......

This pushing of women's soccer is a waste of time. I went to school with thousands and thousands of women, they all thought soccer was crap and had no interest in it.

Tennis is different, women's tennis matches are very enjoyable and competitive, they always have been. Same for hockey, women's hockey is fine.

Why do Camogie players wear skorts and the peile na Mná wear pants , what is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"I went to school with thousands and thousands of women, they all thought soccer was crap and had no interest in it."

....what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm not sure the thousands and thousands of women you went to school with would appreciate that sentiment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Cow towing?

Advertisement