Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Pundits on Men's Sports *Mod warning in Post #42*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It doesn't make sense to me why there are female pundits for men's Gaelic football. There are various differences in rules between ladies football and men's football. Ladies football is a much softer sport which essentially makes it a different game. Also I don't even think ladies football is even a part of the official GAA, I heard that they are joining the two. They may as well bring me into the RTE studios as a pundit as my days of playing U-16 were harder hitting than adult ladies football. Ladies football is easier because you don't have to worry about big hits when a high ball is kicked in, etc.

You can't even bring this matter up to anyone in today's society as they are quick to accuse you of misogyny even though it is a legit point. In reality they don't give a monkeys about ladies football either, they just use it as a virtue signaling tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Mick Fitzgerald is on talking about flat racing, he was a jump jockey, Jeffery Dujon, former West Indies wicket keeper was asked a question about keeping to the quick bowlers of the 70s & 80s, and just as he was about to answer, was interrupted by a female co commentator with a poor record at international level, who to listen to her talk about herself, you would think she was the greatest player in history, overconfidence and lack of awareness goes a long way. Nasser Hussein, captained England, was an average player but believes he was a legend of the game. That is more annoying than the gender of the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Simply put you can't buy players in the GAA - so 'financial doping' line becomes tenuous at best or laughable at worst.

You can't buy players but certain counties have been "doped" by inflated funding by the GAA. For example Dublin was the recipient of 21 million euros from the GAA since 2007 until 2021 (1), 39% of the total funding allocated during that period (2).

Some counties are also benefiting by financial doping with massive sponsorship deals. JP McManus has gifted Limerick GAA with literally millions of euro, starting with a 5m euro donation(3) and a state of the art training facility (4). Similarly, Dublin GAA were the recipients of an estimated 1million euro a year sponsorship deal from AIG from 2013 to 2023 (5)

Compare that with Clare GAA's sponsor Pat O’Donnell & Company whose total profit in 2018 was 2.4m euro in 2018 (6), indicating that their sponsorship contribution is a fraction of that, and Donegal GAA's 2020 income from sponsorships of 300,000euros (7).

Financial doping in GAA isn't about buying players, it's about huge investments from various sources (such as sponsorships, or the GAA itself) who pay for top-of-the-line facilities such as gyms and pitches for local clubs, physios and medical equipment for treating injuries, professional coaches for underage teams, under-the-table payments for top players so that they can focus on their playing "careers," inhalers for Limerick hurlers who seem to be suffering from an epidemic of asthma(8)(9), and so on and so forth.

Any reasonable person would believe that billionaires or multinational corporations donating millions of euros to "amateur" sports clubs will absolutely skew the competition in those clubs' favour. Limerick GAA and Dublin GAA have been bearing the fruits of this for almost a decade.

To be honest the GAA in Dublin has become a mainly middle class game. So the majority are erudite and articulate.

You imply something very worrying here, you seem to have confused social class with intelligence level. Can working class people not be erudite or articulate?

I mean calling Rugby players thick in analysis, surely omits the fact that many Rugby players work in white collar and are privately educated

Here it is again, you seem to believe that certain social classes and vocations means you are more intelligent. It doesn't. Sure it teaches you slightly nicer words like "erudite" but to cite the fact that a rugby player has a white collar job or went to private school means they aren't of low intelligence is astounding.

The next question I will ask why do you think they come across as thick?

I said they come across as thick because a lot of their "analysis" is trite, regurgitated platitudes and stock phrases which don't show any greater insight or reasoning that anyone who watches the six nations casually could produce.

I have to imagine you live a very sheltered life if you equate job/social class with intelligence and reasoning capabilities. It's almost childlike.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

Isa Guha and Ebont are both absolutely SH1T! I specifically thought of Guha when I saw this thread. I have to watch on mute when she's on comms, shouting and screaming and cracking awful jokes. Useless aul bint!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I don’t think you’ll find many people in the cricketing world who agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

they neither shout or scream, your TV is obviously broke ;) I doubt you heard of either before this thread…

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

All negative nonsense from you. How about bekind?

Who is a good pundit then? Who, in your expert opinion, give excellent analysis???

Ireland is not full of transphobic racists.

Jonathan Wilson is the best analyst of soccer out there.

I actually quite like most of the mainstream pundits, despite their shortcomings. Their shortcomings would be that that they lack the intellectual capability to analyse a bowel movement, never mind a soccer match.

Dunphy, Giles, Brady, Keane, Neville, Carragher, Souness, Kerr et al. Watching them is like watching a Nicholas Cage action film in the late 90s, it’s great entertainment despite the fact that it’s the worst kind of shallow, mindless schlock.

Just one?

I listened to Wilson on offtheball this week. And he isn't any better than the people you mock and dump on.

But hey, you're the expert on boards, and never wrong.

Ireland is not full of transphobic racists

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Jonathan Wilson is the best analyst of soccer out there.

Wrong. Wilson is a statistic nerd with a really good memory. The best analyst out there, for me, is Barney Ronay, with his next-level intellect.

Post edited by fatbhoy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,700 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wilson is more of a football historian than an analyst really. He literally wrote the book on the history of football tactics. Would strongly recommend all of his books but I'm never too bothered by his articles on current football events.

Just one?

You asked for one, pal. Scroll up and stop embarrassing yourself.

But hey, you're the expert on boards, and never wrong.

Well I'm clearly more of an expert than you are. You don't have a clue, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Most people prefer to be entertained so it would be more like watching an Arnie/Stallone action film in the 80's and 90's. Not all games are worth a deep analysis anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

He’s the best current analyst aswell that does popular not too in-depth analysis.

his withering analysis on the guardian podcast of the signing of Ronaldo by man united is one of the single great mic drops I’ve heard on a podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Wilson is fascinating to listen to. He was on OTB am the other day and his analysis of Man citys tactics and how it was implemented a long time ago was a great listen. Football weekly which he's on regularly is one of the top podcasts.

You seem triggered dude.

Don't be, sure I don't have a clue, mate.

Maybe you explain in expert detail why all those pundits you ridicule are so much worse than the one pundit you like? Thanks, pal.

Ireland is not full of transphobic racists.

I already did, mate. Seriously, scroll up and you'll see. The likes of Keane, Dunphy, et al are great entertainment but their analysis boils down to trite observations like "he needs to work harder," "he's a baby," "he's a cod" etc etc. Real man down the pub (it's always men) having a whinge stuff, and definitely not the kind of insights you only get from people who played at the highest level.

The likes of Wilson, just to use one example, is a highly educated academic who has spent his entire professional career analysing the game, illustrating backdrop via historical accounts in his articles. He is able to do this by dedicating his time to poring over primary sources such as matchday reports in many different languages, and conducting interviews with witnesses to historical events in soccer.

This gives him the savoir faire (that means "know how to do" in French) to be able to present current events in soccer via the prism of historical context and precedence.

Compare that with the likes of Neville and Carragher, whose expertise of football analysis only stems from playing the game themselves. It's fun to watch them fight but it's shallow entertainment and nothing else.

Therefore I believe that it doesn't matter if a woman is on the punditry panel for soccer, even if she played in a league for a different gender. The fact is that a person who spent their lives kicking a ball around, and nothing else, is no better at explaining the mechanics of a soccer match than a chimpanzee is at presenting why their stream of urine is more yellow than usual today. It's literally outside their realm of capability.

Excellent stuff dude. The last paragraph is genius. You probably know more than ex professionals that played their sport at the highest level and won multiple trophies.

But dude, you forgot to mention this female pundit who is better than keane, neville, carragher, Giles etc etc. Can anyone be up there with yourself and wilson?

Ireland is Not full of transphobic racists.

You seem a bit irritated or something my friend. You probably need to chill out a little and stop getting upset about stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I saw this story today and thought... there's probably a few people on boards that could do with doing something like that. A period of introspection and self reflection away from the Internet.

• Advertisement

That poster needs to learn how to take the L instead of swinging after the bell is rung. At this stage he may as well be debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I never said job - equates to intelligence, you seem to enjoy playing the contrarian 'That's your bag man!' - as they would have said in the 60's..

In fact I said the opposite see my comment on Tomas O'Se and his turn of phrase, you can't teach that - he lives football.

However, I also stated how erudite and composed many Rugby and GAA pundits are these days. Refuting your blanket initial statement. It was you yourself who claimed that the GAA and Rugby pundits you have seen/heard were not very intelligent. In other words 'thicks' to use the vernacular.

But there are many young vibrant pundits these days who are very articulate as I pointed out. Regardless of gender, you just refuse to see it. Or watch it apparently.

You posture/pose to argue at an informed level on the issue of pundits on one hand.

Yet on the other state you stated do not watch GAA analysis at all! So who is fooling who? Your'e tying yourself in knots for some reason. You just don't seem as informed as you pretend to be.

But that is what contrarians like you do they don't see the wood from the trees, all the sake of argument. It is black or white and there is no grey in your world. No nuanced argument.

It was yourself you stated that all pundits in the GAA and Rugby you have seen/heard were thick'. You seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder which is unrelated to the current issue of this thread. And are just looking to vent. I suggest read the relevant Dublin threads involving finances etc. Because I have discussed it in detail at a knowledgeable/informed level. Away from your your style of hyperbole, and very narrow take on that issue. You do not factor in a myriad of variables.

---

By the way the way you replied makes it very hard to read poorly laid out, and poor formatting IMO.

It seems like a desperate backtracking attempt by you.

A better person would instead admit that your initial premise that many pundits on Rugby/GAA were 'stupid', is a somewhat flawed argument for many reasons But that is not how you operate is it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You are not reading are you or reading correctly apparently.

This is what I said in my initial post.

'That is not to say you have to be extremely educated to give a good analysis of a game. Tomás Ó Sé is a primary school teacher, and has a good turn of phrase when describing matches or GAA issues. It is unfair to tar all analysts as 'thick' regardless of gender.'

--

Yet, magically - you somehow have attempted to twist this to me meaning that you have to be educated at a high level to be considered intelligent. The mind boggles.

But to me I think you did so because you looked foolish in your initial blanket statement that all rugby/GAA pundits are 'thick'.

And you also admit in the same post that you don't watch GAA analysis! So how can you claim to be informed? It does not make any logical sense on a lot of levels.

What have angels and pins got to with anything? It is only in another effort by yourself at obfuscation.

1) How can you claim that all GAA/Rugby pundits are thick? It does not stack up in my opinion and I gave you pundits/examples which show how illogical your argument was.

2) You als boldly stated that you don't watch GAA analysis correct? How do you argue at an informed level (beyond stereotypes) if you don't watch it?

-

Your'e GAA opinions seem to be of a distant barstooler - 'pub talk' , with little or no informed opinion. Your'e opinions of Rugby much the same - it seems.

Inform yourself of the facts - then make an argument?

Watch Noelle Healy (football), and Eoghan O'Donnell (hurling) doing punditry both are excellent. And I don't even consider gender as an issue. Once a pundit or poster is informed - I applaud them. If not I would see through them quick enough, as a bluffer.

If you were a pundit (regardless of gender) I would switch off - ill informed/agenda led (playing to the gallery) and with chip on the shoulder. With added constant obfuscation.

Not good viewing IMO. Maybe a novelty for some at first, but it would wear thin fast.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Meh, I barely listen to analysts nowadays so it makes no difference what gender they are to me.

Haha good one dude.

Maybe you should read what your buddy soprano wrote above. Very triggered today.

But you'd defend anything that poster says. All we need is emmet in here too. The three amigos!

#bekind

Right on. Big L.

But you still haven't answered the question. Ahhh sure the poster gormdubhgorm has basically explained how wrong you are. But you'll never admit you're wrong. That's okay dude.

Don't forget to log into the correct account when you reply to me.

Ireland is Not full of transphobic racists

Well that's fair enough, but unlike the poster above @CGI_Livia_Soprano who doesn't watch the analyse of GAA (Hurling or Football) - :

At least you don't base your opinions on biases/agenda/stereotypes/hyperbole. What the poster above you @CGI_Livia_Soprano is the equivalent of someone not reading a book or watching a film. Then going in all guns blazing with major holes of logic/reason because it is so ill informed.

@CGI_Livia_Soprano whole premise can be summed up as follows (by this image)

The poster has the gall to say they don't watch GAA analysis, then proceed to slate all analysts as 'thicks'. At least do a bit of research is my point.

---

Anyway, I was trying to think of my favourite analyst/pundit.

In snooker it would be Alan McManus.

But funny enough, I was just after watching Reanne Evans female snooker player giving her opinion on the male snooker world championship.

But. Reanne gets wildcard to some male snooker events by virtue of her ladies WC title.

The most famous match she played was an acrimonious one against her ex partner Mark Allen.

Do posters feel that she is more entitled to talk about men's snooker (as a pundit) because she played competitively against some of them?

Or does it not make any difference as she has a knowledge an interest about the game of snooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Leave me out of this.

Jesus, again, I removed the signature after the death threats/murder fantasies over on that anti-boards hate site. That should be enough.

Just stop it now, please.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

You're not making making sense to me pal.

But thanks for proving my point in response to the doc.

Advertisement