Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

it isnt the same thing. im sure at times the fixtures and fittings are 'upgraded' for actual needs like energy efficiency, but it is generally done just to appease new tenants, it has almost nothing to do with the planning department or building control.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Saw an African woman on Oliver Plunkett street last week having a full blown row. Not sure if it was with herself or she had an ear piece in. A lot of shouting.

Not sure if its a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭thomil

I'd put that down to in-ears if I'm honest. With many modern truly wireless earbuds (AirPods Pro, Google Pixel Buds, etc) you have to look very closely to see if people have them in. Got surprised by that a few times, with people walking past me and talking, with me only seeing the earbuds when I'm next to them.

Ands they're not that expensive anymore either, basic models are available for around 50-60€

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Saw two lads unbelievably off their faces crossing onto the Coal Quay yesterday. It's like they were moving in slow motion. Honestly, it was like something from Adam and Paul. I've never actually seen someone so wasted and still conscious.

What's interesting is that 2 guards happened upon them. Obviously, these guys were no danger to anyone but themselves. From where I was, it seemed that the guards brought them into the Bridewell. It looked pretty voluntary. My guess is that they were probably put in a cell to sleep it off for a few hours for their own safety.

Good, compassionate policing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭sporina

I was in town yday eve and saw so many out of it.. coal quay, paul street, shandon (1 guy totally out of it - lying in a flower bed at the Firkin Crane (where kids are going in and out).. etc - broad daylight.. tis just a regular thing now..

When I have to go into town now, I get my things and get out as quickly as poss - I no longer browse etc..

I think the reason they stand out so much is cos Cork city is small in comparison to Dublin and other cities on the continent.. (lived in Dublin for 3 years.. and been to many other cities)

I think I will have to make peace with it - no point being annoyed about things I cannot change - emailed the council again and not even a reply.. being annoyed its no good.. so I'm gonna back out of this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's not going to affect council mandarins in their gated mansions located a comfortable distance from the city, so of course nothing will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭thomil

To be fair, I feel like that area (Coal Quay, Paul Street) has been the worst affected by this. It was always a bit of a dogy area, but I don't remember it being nearly as bad before the pandemic as it has been in recent years. Granted, Patrick Street and Oliver Plunkett Street have suffered somewhat, but I feel like the Coal Quay area has really become an epicenter for antisocial activity since 2020/2021. A colleague of mine mentioned something that has really struck with me in that regard:

According to him, the high number of restaurants and clubs in the area, with their security staff and the resulting footfall, caused quite a bit of exposure and social pressure that kept the worst of the addicts away. At the same time, the number of derelict buildings and sites in the area, particularly on North Street, gave these addicts something to retreat into. Then came the lockdowns. Restaurants et al were closed and people stopped going out, removing that exposure and pressure. Suddenly, all those who had been pushed into these areas could come out without too much in the way of control. When the restaurants etc. started reopening and the restrictions disappeared, footfall increased again. and the problem started becoming more obvious.

At the same time, a number of the derelict buildings in the area started seeing redevelopment. There are student apartments going up on North Main Street, an apartment building was put on a formerly derelict site on Kyle Street, and that "Bermuda Triangle" up on Kyrl's Quay, outside the garda station, has been turned into some sort of community garden/events venue. So now, footfall is back to its pre-pandemic levels, a lot of the retreats that addicts would have used to get away from the crowds are being redeveloped and, from my observations, many of these addicts are now so far gone that they don't really care about anything anymore.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Man dead after bad beating last month in Cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

The building in that thumbnail looks like a chimney in a gas house in Auchwitz or something. So many of those horrific red brick structures around. Anyway carry on.

those sitting in CCC wearing suits and pushing pens would wanna take a walk around the city - day or night..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Local elections are due soon. It needs to be specifically brought up at the door, with no waffle accepted from the candidates! It might be the only way to get CCC to actually do their job.

oh well God help who comes to my door - nah - i'll be civil - but I will ASK Qs

thank you

on a positive note, I went walking in The Glen park this eve - ashamed to say I had never been before - its sooo fab.. cudda been anywhere in the countryside

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Esho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Very sad news. There was a murder recently in Limerick as well though, and according to someone on Galway Reddit there was a stabbing in the city centre a few days ago as well. The tail has been wagging the dog here in Ireland for a hell of a long time. Our justice system is heavily biased towards and in favour of the criminals and scum. People are acting and behaving like this, because they know there will be no consequences for their behaviour. Our city and Ireland in general needs it's own version of Rudy Giuliani.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Spent (misspent 😎) a very happy childhood and youth down the Glen. A real adventure land for kids back then.

Haven't been there for years, I'm sure that it must have changed a lot!

awe

no idea if its changed as had never been before - its a fab spot - lots of diff paths and the flowing river hmm.. will defo be going there more often

It's fantastic. I only discovered it during covid and I'm walking distance from it.

You'd never think you're still in the city!

It was known as Gouldings Glen having been bequeathed to the city by the Goulding family for the enjoyment of the people of Cork. I had a look on Google maps. It has had a lot of development on the peripheries, its probably a quarter the size that it used to be.

Not much to do with anti social behaviour, I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭ofcork

Spent a lot of time there when i was younger as living in the glen.

• Advertisement

while walking up OP street last night (more or less from bottom to top) we wer asked for money by 3 diff people.. well enough dressed.. for drugs no doubt..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It used be 20p for the bus home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

Awful awful news. That could have been any of our families. Just a completely random attack, beating someone effectively to death on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Sounds like that screaming preacher woman, though she's generally over by the library.

Apart from the fact that it happened in a house in the Glen, not on the street, and doesn't appear to be random.

I was at the above tonight - those of you interested wudda found it v interesting.. post show talk with James Leonard from The 2 Norries and cast.. hats off to all.. inspiring and infuriating in the same breath

Did I mix the fella up? What's the story then?

Don't know, but the article linked was about an older man assaulted in a premises in the Glen.

• Advertisement

the everyman link is gone - the above is a link to the website of the theatre company

Advertisement