Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Picks 2022

1212223242527»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Intel generated huge cash flows for years but never reinvested sufficiently to keep ahead of the competition. Cash flows now gone into negative as it tries to catch up.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

US inflation numbers bad this morning (inflation up not down as expected), next fed raise is going to have to be 0.5%, going to be a bloodbath in the markets.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

You'd think ultimately, that inflation would be good for stocks right?

Like, prices rarely ever come down. So if things do stabalise, you'd think the higher inflation would mean higher profits than a couple years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Inflation has never been good for stocks, especially non dividend payers , why chase high beta growth when you can get 4% plus from government bonds?

when interest rates are zero, growth stocks shine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I lightened up on my Tesla position yesterday, looks like I cut a little early, still my biggest position so see what investor day brings

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

intel had the best horse and carriage for a couple of decades and a lock on it , along came a car . I’ve to reread this article but as far as i remember it gives a great overview https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2

Anyone holding Ryanair? I've some here since Covid days. Bought circa 9 €. They're back in profit again. Had a sell figure of 17€ in mind. Just have to sit it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Why sell a share thats on the up. Why not sell one of the losers instead. Like Peter Lynch said "selling a winning stock and holding onto a loser is akin to pulling up the flowers and watering the weeds"

Ryanair's current Market Cap is 18.1789 Bil. It generates about a billion a year free cash flow, give or take, every year. All that cash flow goes into growth. No dividend and no share buy backs. I'm between minds, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

you should be holding/selling based on what you feel the share will do in the future. holding a stock that is in profit, but doesnt move much for the next 1,2,5,1020 years isnt a good idea. Why not cash that in and reinvest in another stock that you think will continue to increase?

Similarly selling a loser just because its a loser is not a great idea. It may have bottomed out and may be going to increase (in your opinion).

If you think something is going to keep going down, SELL. If you think something is going to go up, BUY (or HOLD).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone have any thoughts on the JNJ offer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes, don't. They are spinning of brands that are unlikely to grow significantly which is why they are dumping it along with some of their debt (and going into a recession the last thing you want are low premium brands relatively speaking as consumers cut back on their spend due to inflation/recession). In theory you have a 7% discount and could sell them to buy back JNJ but reality is the market is likely to re-price things to not make that possible combined with other trading firms will be the once who can get it done on the second pushing down the share price directly. If you want the spin off you're still better of holding on to JNJ shares and sell them afterwards and buy the depressed new company stock (and that's assuming JNJ can get the full trade completed; if it goes to book building they will go even lower).

Those are my toughts.

Advertisement