Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

My fear would be that in 1 or 2 weeks some of those will be on a list of companies that have hit a 5 year low...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Nothing more than short covering taking place right now, what moved the most? The beat down stocks that are 80-90% off highs, institutions aren't piling into these names pumping them up 20%+ in a day, that's short covering (U, UPST, AFRM, COIN, etc.).

Market internals are horrific, a broad uptrend cannot be sustained until we see real accumulation and new leaders show up. It could be sooner than we think but it could also be a long way yet, bear markets typically have 3 legs down, We've only just begun a second. Friday's weekly close looks impressive, but again, mostly short covering for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Like a lot of names on that list I really like....Google, Adobe, Salesforce, Intel, Amazon, TSMC, Disney and ASML....half of these I own admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I think it wouldn't be the worst time to start DCA'ing.

Intel are at a 4 year low.

Disney trading at levels of 7 years ago.

Adobe is trading at levels it was 2 years ago

Really hard to know what will happen though. If these interest rate rises work and inflation comes down without mass layoffs or a moderate recession then the market will recover well imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Is borrowing money to invest a bad idea in people's eyes here?

I'm toying with the idea at the moment when the market bottoms out. I'm in my early 20s and work in tech with a salary of around 40k annum. I still live with my parents because of the housing crisis and I have no real expenditures besides the car and home house rent.

I was thinking somewhere between 20k - 40k with payments spread out over 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Not a good idea…. What if you lost it all because your timing was wrong? On top of that if the market only delivered modest returns you would probably be in the red due to the financing costs.

it’s one thing to be holding a stock at a price much lower than you bought it hoping that in time the price will rise so you can exit. It’s another thing doing so with borrowed money that needs to be repaid regardless.

Never borrow money for investments, not even €100 nevermind €40k!! Save up and in the meantime research, investing isn't as easy as buying when the market bottoms so you definitely don't want to be trying it out with borrowed money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

No, I wouldn't do that. I bought stocks on margin a few times and it's never really worked out, couldn't imagine doing it on a larger scale.

Getting involved with what you can afford in your 20's is a great idea tho, the earlier you start, the more years to compound. In your 20's, you're probably thinking saving for a mortgage, so 10 year time frame is good for stocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Crazy. Don't do it. Your investments have to outperform the loan before you can even consider taking profits for yourself. Only invest what you can afford to lose and not 1c more. Your living expenses should be relatively low vs your earnings. Start DCA'ing a monthly amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Treppen

PSTH .... Once the talk of the town here, went into the doldrums. Now with markets tanking are they actually in a very strong position?

Not suggesting to buy, but maybe hold for a while longer if you're still a holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Anyone green lately? Had my two largest holdings take a big 30/35% dip since the start of Ukraine and Russia but both have recovered to nearly the same level. Had funds in apple/tesla sold them all before Christmas serious value been wipped out! Way to jumpy to buy back in.

One share which performed well for me was St James Wealth management. Got in when it tanked and recovered nicely doubled up. Took my profits but bought back in recently just 10% behind breakeven. No rush for the cash sitting and holding all my investments long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Starbucks at a 52 week low looks interesting. Same with Home Depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Yeah, in the green for the year. But I would be buying and selling constantly. We are living in uncertain times, so when I see a "bargain" I will snaffle it up, I'm also quick to take profits.

TARGET down 22% pre market after releasing earnings.

as the the retailer coped with pricey freight costs, higher markdowns and lower-than-expected sales of discretionary items from TVs to bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It was a toss up between Target and Costco when I invested some cash last month. Looks like I backed the wrong horse!

I heard Motley fool saying WalMarts stock price fell off a cliff after reporting enrings yesterday too.

Costco down ~26% in the past month. One bad, the other...

• Advertisement

It is surprising seeing the massive drops on stocks which were always though of as stable and never moved much. Fair enough seeing growth and pandemic stocks like Peleton, tesla, twitter bounce around but would not have expected some of the retail and value stocks to be getting a hammering

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm still in the green here, never went red. Bought in the covid dip and held most till now. Sitting on the fence a long time on a few stocks. I will buy if they go lower, but won't chance it till then.

There's crazy debt out there in Corporate America. Even Apple has $110 billion in debt and only $63 billion in equity.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I'm down 4.5k, or about 15%. Haven't bought anything in 2022 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Im green largely based on google and currency movements. Only 10% of cash in shares as either extending or moving soon. I would happily buy into amazon, microsoft and google etc now and will still buy a little each month. I think we are into oversold territory personally. I will play it bit safer though and stay in the googles rather than the twilios

Google/Alphabet stock price at a 52 week low and set for a 20:1 stock split in July. Looks like an easy short term win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tesla now at $665 from an all time high of $1,243. Kathy Woods ARKK fund seriously down too. A lot of people getting hit heavily with these high profile, so called Growth stocks.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Growth topped and has been in a decline since Feb 2021. A lot of those who bought these names after the Covid bear have unfortunately done a round trip and given most if not all back. Everyone only talking about a bear market this week but on the plus side, growth has been in a bear for over a year so the clock has been ticking by for a new uptrend to begin eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bought more Disney yesterday ( also bought Google , bought Kingspan yesterday ) , my average is now $112 , stock could easily drop to $80 if we enter a bear market but il just buy more if that happens , Disney is sort of a conglomerate at this stage and while its gone nowhere for several years , its pretty much up there with Coca Cola or Johnson and Johnson in terms of surviving , might not bounce back as strong as Netflix but is a much more conservative bet , that said Ive Netflix booked to buy @$151 , its less than seventeen times earnings right now which is for nothing relative to its long term average PE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Im still up for the year as Hibernia got bought out which gave me a bit of a windfall six weeks ago or so , really cushioned the other falls

my british american tobbaco and rio tinto shares are also up for the year , Tesla my biggest laggard

• Advertisement

Was thinking about the whole market and the feds moves to tame inflation.

Lots of talk of a recession as a result. But how low can the market go before the actual bad affects start hitting the economy and jobs market.

And if there is a recession, will the fed reduce rates again meaning another bull market?

Advertisement