Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I am looking at Boeing and glad I didn't go in a few months ago at 180.

I have been banging the "anti" Boeing drum for quite a while and my posts over on the Aviation forum can attest to that. Since the McDonnell merger the issues around engineering and quality control have been compounded IMO by a drastic shift in management culture to following shareholder value, rather than engineering excellence.

The hit from the Max fiasco is being compounded by ongoing quality issues, the charge accrued on military programmes such as KC46 and next AF1. There was a bounce when the F15ex was adopted by USAF as it was expected to be a 1 for 1 replacement for the F15C. That order has been cut now. The military side of Boeing is short US sales.

Add to that, Airbus are beating Boeing and building more planes. Management have moved HQ again, this time to DC. Away from Seattle and the expert engineers and closer to lobbyists.

It's currently @ 130 and despite that being a huge drop on its 52week high of $258 ? I see it going lower. I'm a buy at $120 and let it ride. It's the USA's biggest exporter and it will be insulated to a degree by Govt action whatever happens IMO.

It is a sad state of affairs for what was a benchmark of excellence tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

This article (behind paywall) seems to think a break-up is on the cards. Splitting military and commercial jets into 2 different companies, this is behind the DC move. Even if not he thinks Airbus will dominate commercial jets for the foreseeable future. In the article he said that Boeing don't seem to know how to progress - do they develop new planes (which take a lot of time) based on existing jet technology or do they jump ahead and look at new technologies (eg hydrogen). Either way he is not very positive about the company

I am not sure I would touch it even at 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've not seen that article but have had a similar albeit unresearched thought re: a split in the company.

Getting in pre-split in and around 120 would IMO be a decent long hold. Boeing still have huge Military sustainment contracts. For "new" sales the wedgetail will be the next US & NATO AWACS as there is nothing else in play. Similar with P8 Poseidon. What Boeing don't have is a 5th gen fighter and if rumours re: NGAD are true? They have no 6th gen either. Missile and weapon sustainment and replenishment will keep cashflow positive but barring a huge surprise? Their military airframe sales are with modded civilian stuff or reconditioned F15s F18s to countries looking to panic buy or to Aggressor contractors.

Civilian airframes, if they are spun off? Have an immediate headwind to beat on heavier regulation post MAX but, given current geopolitical situation? Are IMO in a potentially strong position. They have build capacity and an order book. Yes Airbus are beating them but a potential Sino-Rus rival is now sanctioned so no Irkut MC-21 in wide service likely and COMAC's tie up for the CR929 is done given the sanctions too.

If Boeing can get production started outside the US on MAX? Maybe India? They could well not just hold what they have but gain back some share.

TLDR; I think that a split would be awful for Boeing but present opportunity in investing pre-split.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I think it was last November time I panic sold NET at like 83 and then it went up 20 or 30% and I got FOMO and thought I messed up. I see now it's at 54. Some drop.

Upstart, another Reddit darling dropped 62% today. Ouchies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭antimatterx

As I mentioned the other day, something weird happened with my DKNG shares. Seems they were automatically sold and bought immediately again. My overall % drop is 27% now when it was closing in on 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

another darling of covid era, FVVR tanking 20% today, it had a 52wk high of 260 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Floor & Decor (FND) now down at $68. Berkshire loaded into these at $120 in the 3rd quarter of 2021. Just saying is all . 😉

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Rough few months

• Advertisement

Amazon now down below it's pre Covid peak

No end to it. Bloodbath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I see GME bidders are dipping their toe into it again, up 16% today.

Then again, 16% of very little.....Where will the pain end....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The notification from DEGIRO informing me that "10% decline in the value of your portfolio" are getting depressing. Need to switch them off and stick my head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The EU are getting a lot wrong.

How long before individual EU countries start to forment their own strategies. Usually when people suffer economic pain its the ballot where the damage is done. Could see big changes across the EU when people have less money in their pockets.

What's the stock market version of Lidl? Cheap food is where it'll be at for the next few years.

Ending the day 0.44% in the green which I think is all thanks to fx rate

• Registered Users Posts: 81,830 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Carrefour is doing well YTD at the moment in these strange times.

DG (Dollar General) is what you're looking for. Should do well in a recession

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The tricky thing now is deciding when to buy back in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Not yet :)

I tried to time the bottom back in... Feb/March. I may start averaging back in to some safer stocks and index funds over the summer. Right now, I'm really tempted to jump in but we need a clear bottom. I'm happy to miss out on a few % by catching the ride back up a week or two late.

No harm Dollar Cost Averaging your way back in over the next few weeks. Catching the absolute bottom is blind luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nobody can time the market. It's important to recognise that. Your dealing with human emotions, rather than underlying fundamentals. Always better to just concentrate on what you do know.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Layne

Twitter tanking in premarket, down 15%.

So glad I cashed out at $50 when Musks intention to buy were first mooted. Only broke even but was a frustrating hold for me, glad to be rid of it.

Looks like it won't revisit those for a while again.

Markets seem to caught that Friday feeling today - plenty green.

Disney looks good value at the moment. Once the parks business returns across the world, I expect it to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Of course, but obviously you start second guessing yourself when every day is red regardless of the solid principles of DCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

thats about the lowest PE Tesla has ever had , i bought some Tesla @$688 two days ago

• Advertisement

Very tempted to put together a basket of stocks which have hit 1yr lows in the past week for a long term holding.

I was looking through the list here and a lot of good companies on it.

Follow this list to discover and track stocks that have set 52-week lows within the last week. This list is generated daily, ranked by market cap and limited to the top 30 stocks that meet the criteria.

https://finance.yahoo.com/u/yahoo-finance/watchlists/fiftytwo-wk-low

Advertisement