Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,356 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hard to know. I'm sure like in the Army, crew will be able to apply for postings or there may be a duty rotation to the east coast base for a specified time.

Given the size of the operation I don't think its likely there will be anyone assigned there full time.

In any case the Lake Class ships will be well in service before any east coast station is stood up at this stage.

So the mast alone is almost double the cost of a whole Beckett-Class?

Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭sparky42

I did note that her sensor system could be a cheaper option, but I’d still question how much a “downsized” version would cost as a one off for us given all the changes that might be needed, and whatever system replaces the I-mast.

Stands to reason. Apple proprietary products are always way more expensive.

Disgraceful state of affairs.

Its an emergency situation, national service is needed, now.

National Service isn’t happening in Ireland, you might as well call for an Irish Moon landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭roadmaster

When the lakes are in DL and working, To get crew particuarly for non married crew they

defence forces should take out a lease on this building so young crew have a place to live. As part of better T&Cs the personal will live free there.

Now now, do you want Finance and DPER to have collective heart attacks? And have everyone left in the NS wanting to take postings on the Lakes?

• Advertisement

A lot has changed in the security paradigm of Europe in the past 11 months. The Germans are calling it 'Zeitenwende', a turn for the ages.

If I told you 18 months ago Germany and Finland, among others, would be sending MBTs to Ukraine to repel a Russian invasion, you'd have had me committed.

Sacred cows are being slayed all over the shop and Ireland is not immune, because all of a sudden, we have a boat load of critical infrastructure to be protected, not just critical to Ireland but to Europe and to global commerce and communications.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, when all other solutions have been exhausted, whatever is left, no matter how unlikely, must be the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

4 ships operational.

I doubt the new minister of Defence cares.

Can the Chief of Staff not do anything or is he happy being a Yes man?

I know there’s retention issues around the world with other Navy’s but the government could have done something more meaningful years ago and we wouldn’t have had this mess.

Something needs to change or else we can forget about new ships & investment in renovating buildings on Haulbowline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Engineers seem to be the main issue, national service is usually short term, maybe a year, engineers are usually better staying on the vessel they are used to,a constant turnover of engineers is not a good idea.Are you proposing that engineers only have to do national service, surely not,or how do you see it working?

Chief of Staff doesn’t set the pay so not sure how you think he can change things? And the story of Irish defence is “if we had done something before we wouldn’t be in the “X” state we are in”, given the story on the fight over unspent funds between DOD and DPER I wouldn’t expect DPER to either care or change. Hell they would most likely love the reduced costs of not having a Navy, and for them the best bit is they won’t be blamed if anything happens….

My model of national service would see two years compulsory national service for all citizens and qualifying residents of the State before age 30, irrespective of education level, job, parental status etc.

It wouldn't all have to be military, it could be in social and community service, paramedical, educational, sporting, charity, overseas aid and development work etc

Basically, every person would gain skills and experience that would enable them to give back throughout their lives. For those trained militarily, they could progress their technical studies through ongoing DF membership if they wish, and remain in reserve, serving maybe one month per year, until say, age 55.

I know its a massive piece of work and realistically it would have to be gradually introduced over a few decades, but there are many models internationally and I think it would be really good for Irish society, not least by integrating the work of the DF into everyday life.

But the overall point is, the World is getting less safe, more unequal, more divided. If every person growing up had exposure to how others live, to work alongside them and to be skilled to contribute in times of need and scarcity, like the epidemics, hospital crises, weather emergencies, movement of refugees, we'd all be better off than the cosseted and somewhat oblivious and feckless bunch the last couple of generations have become.

Basically all the reasons the Government are buying the MRV....

• Advertisement

Will comapare to what the government are paying to hotels for refugees its small change. It would pay for itself in crew retenion

If they were willing to spend relatively small amounts of money the DF wouldn’t be in the state it is with the issues it has. Clearly one or more of the departments are beyond not caring about retention and are actively trying to reduce the DF at this point.

It wonder the examiner or the times havent reported about Niamh & Roisin yet

I noticed that, nothing on the Indo either, RTE might not even notice of course.

Well the one positive if you can call it that is we seam to have strong leaders in the defence forces that are willing to stand up and say listen we dont have the man power to run the ship safely so we are not going to sea. I imagine there was a lot pressure from government to not park up the ships

• Advertisement

And so, when is our obligation to police EU regulated fishing and fishing grounds considered to be neglected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Eu have 3 new fishery protection vessels for patrolling mainly Irish waters by the looks of it,if you Google it they had a big party in Spain for them a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Viva La Armada Espanola!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

I say fair play to the naval brass for tying up the ships. No point going through the pretence we can crew them. It is drastic action that might move things on. Not that u wish it but is some form of ‘event’ that usually galvanises the system into action … incremental decline is not a catalyst. Russian navy to play tricks anyone?

To be honest a Dedicated EU fisheries protection flotilla would be a better alternative. It’s mostly non Irish boats in the fishing grounds anyway.

Historically previous governments have neglected the sea & this government has neglected the sea & the people who crew the naval ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I don't think the Russians would see a 20 ship Irish navy as much of a deterrent!

Given the Russian Navys "record" who knows, they might sink on the way even without anyone helping, I mean they are the navy that sends tugs with their deployments...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭mupper2

How much was in that waste oil slick they left us a decade plus back?

• Advertisement

In the article below its a follow up on the drive to recruit non national naval staff. In the article it states EU nationals areto be targated to join. They must know something that the rest of industry do not know because i know a few companys that tried to get EU staff and they would not come here

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-naval-service-chiefs-look-29067136?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

I taught the whole problem is that ERAs are getting paid better else where, any other EU Marine Nation workers are hardly going to join the irish navy when they can go private sector for better pay.

The Industrys i am talking about are Construction & Manufacturing

That all comes back to a reasonable and affordable standard of available housing.

We have none of that.

Sure there’s accommodation on the base for the single man/woman.

I honestly don’t know why would someone from abroad join. Your annual leave entitlements are restricted when your posted to a ship.

100% correct.

This is a big issue across the DF. Base housing for single and couple/family units alike ought to be a huge aspect of DF reform.

It could help address the attractiveness issue of a DF career in a big way and also contribute economically in considerable way to the local Community where quarters are located. Quite apart from being a brilliant Community itself.

The vision for this sort of wider thinking remains absent unfortunately.

Its very hard to attract people to Cork when rent prices are very expensive & limited.

I hope the TDS in the Dail start asking the hard questions during the next ministers questions.

If I was a Td these would be the questions I would be asking.

How many people are currently in the NS?

How many seagoing people are available for seagoing duties or at sea?

What are you doing to address the retention crisis in the NS? everything to date has failed.

Why is money being handed back to the government when it could be spent on increasing the Sea Pay? There are 4 operational ships out of 9.

Are you aware that Le Róisín is tied up?

Do you acknowledge there’s a crisis in the NS?

The minister should be getting a rough time because the government has neglected the DF. The likes of Cathal Berry should be ashamed of himself he’s been a cheerleader for the government and they are doing a terrible job

Lads things are not going to get better, I said this last year and nobody took note.

Would you believe there is a report on the rte archives about the new cavan barracks opening at the time and the reporter asks about accomadation and the officer says no need due to private and council houses!

Cathal Berry has asked the important questions that is true.

He’s very well informed but he has voted for the government in no confidence motions. He said there was extra money for the defence budget and that’s why he supported the government at the time.

I’m very aware what goes on in the Dail I’m not stupid but we all know That the government are doing a terrible job in running all the departments Housing, Health, the gardai, cost of living and defence.

Maybe we need Sinn Fein in charge. I know the officers hate Sinn Fein but they couldn’t do any worse than the shower we have.

• Advertisement

Yes they could.

Cos however bad things may be in some areas in these times of global crisis, they'll be a **** load worse in the hands of a bunch of novices with a marxist idealogy.

The government have done a terrible job with every department they have and I have had enough.

They have destroyed the DF. And people think they can fix the mess they created.

Niamh & Roisin would have been operational if the Fine Gael government actually addressed the real issues in the NS.

Bobo the clown would do a better job than the last 2 ministers of Defence.

Sinn Fein are not going to be the saviours if they get elected to power or any other party but they might do a better job and listen to Raco & Pdforra because the government are deaf.

I don’t have much confidence in FF either because the Tanaiste has a track record of spoofing.

You think Sinn Féin, who until relatively recently refused to even recognise the legitimacy of the Defence Forces of this State and who are still unclear about if or whether it would allow the DF continue participate in UN backed missions, will be the ones to fix it?

Pull the other one, its got massive shiny bells on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When FG had the reins, their man SC was the minister for Defence, also representing the same Cork South Central constituency that the main naval base and headquarters for the Irish Naval Service. So happy days you'd think, the Navy will get everything they need to be a functioning and modern branch of the defence forces.

How did that work out again...?

FG have form for this too, anyone with an interest in Irish maritime affairs will know exactly which political party was in power when Irish Shipping was scrapped overnight and Irish seafarers left stranded around the workld as their ships were arrested when they docked at their next port of call.

So not only are FG no better than any other political party, they are demonstrably worse when it comes to Irish maritime affairs. So for anyone muttering "be grand, carry on", pull the other one, it will ring out loud like a church bell on a Sunday morning!

I seem to remember another TD from the same constituency who was also a Government minister in charge of the department that seems to be one of the other main stumbling blocks towards any change in the status quo at the same time? But sure now that hes over in Finance I'm sure things will be better...

What are ye on about, the first budget expansion towards LoA2 has already been introduced by the Govt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Coveney to be fair brought thru the Cion on Defence and index-linked budget increase for the level 2. It is D/per who oversee terms and condition in terms of pay, allowances etc …. That didn’t work out too well so far

So according to MM, a reduction of 33% in Fleet strength, amounting to a 56% reduction in 18 months, won't affect the NS capacity to carry out its tasks.

Thats the best I ever heard.

Do better Meehole. A lot better.

60% reduction in the fleet since we are down to only the becketts that is some drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

• Advertisement
Advertisement