Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

The Swedish have a small, 400t, 48M, MCM vessel https://saab.com/naval/submarines-and-surface-ships/surface-ships/mine-counter-measure-vessels/
    Maybe too small for Irish Waters

This Belgian/Dutch model looks more appropriate but its 2800t and nearly €170m per vessel https://navaltoday.com/2019/05/22/belgian-dutch-minehunter-contract-officially-awarded/

Either way I'm sure we wouldn't spend the money on the sophisticated electronics and other equipment needed for modern mine counter measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

Yawlboy wrote: »
    The Swedish have a small, 400t, 48M, MCM vessel https://saab.com/naval/submarines-and-surface-ships/surface-ships/mine-counter-measure-vessels/
    Maybe too small for Irish Waters

This Belgian/Dutch model looks more appropriate but its 2800t and nearly €170m per vessel https://navaltoday.com/2019/05/22/belgian-dutch-minehunter-contract-officially-awarded/

Either way I'm sure we wouldn't spend the money on the sophisticated electronics and other equipment needed for modern mine counter measures.

I really wouldn't like to think about how they might handle West Coast weather tbh, also fails on the replacing the current capabilities of the Peacocks.

As I said even leaving aside the costs of modern MCM capabilities, we'd almost have to attach them to someone else to build up the operational knowledge base and that brings it's own headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Just spotted an interesting snippet of info. (At least I thought it was interesting)...The Royal Navy is replacing the 2 smallest ships in the fleet (inshore patrol vessels based in Gibraltar) with 2 modern ships. It is expected that the contract is going to Safemarine for their Barracuda vessel. The one I'm always recommending for the NS.

Just spotted an interesting snippet of info. (At least I thought it was interesting)...The Royal Navy is replacing the 2 smallest ships in the fleet (inshore patrol vessels based in Gibraltar) with 2 modern ships. It is expected that the contract is going to Safemarine for their Barracuda vessel. The one I'm always recommending for the NS.

And there's still zero use case for them for the NS.

I don't agree. I think they could come in pretty handy. Tis a pretty lethal piece of kit for pursuing drug dealers and any dodgy shipping in Irish or Mediterranean waters.

• Advertisement

I don't agree. I think they could come in pretty handy. Tis a pretty lethal piece of kit for pursuing drug dealers and any dodgy shipping in Irish or Mediterranean waters.

Our deployment to the Med is over and I can almost bet money that between the DOD and DOF they will move heaven and earth to make sure it never happens again (remember the DOD basically had to be overruled by Kenny). Nor is Drug Dealers an issue there, it's dealing with unsafe boats full over people that vastly outnumber what the Barracuda could deal with.

Nor can I see why it would be the case for Irish waters, there's nothing like the "Go Fast" that the US Coastguard deal with crossing the Atlantic.

They make sense for the RN if they are buying them for base protection missions at Gib and Cyprus but we don't have any such commitments.

I like the look of that Almirante Juan de Bourbon. One of them would come in well handy, albeit a bit pricey !

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

I like the look of that Almirante Juan de Bourbon. One of them would come in well handy, albeit a bit pricey !

Handy for what?? Using up our entire defence budget? I like the look of a Lamborghini Huracan but I cant afford it, and it wouldn't even come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A bit. 600 million.

Why not ring up the USN and make an offer for the Kitty Hawk, its currently inactive in the reserve fleet, I'm sure an Aircraft Carrier would be pretty handy too.....

Was thinkin that meself...only problem is that I don't think that the Air Corps Gripens, which hopefully will be arrivin in a bit, will be compatible. Not keen on them F35's at all...Too pricey for me! Someting less grandiose such as the Mistrale class would be perfect if establishing an air arm. With a dozen second hand Harriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Was thinkin that meself...only problem is that I don't think that the Air Corps Gripens, which hopefully will be arrivin in a bit, will be compatible. Not keen on them F35's at all...Too pricey for me! Someting less grandiose such as the Mistrale class would be perfect if establishing an air arm. With a dozen second hand Harriers.

As a lurker here I’m absolutely shocked that you’ve found something that you consider too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Harriers ? Those really difficult to fly things , that are pretty much at the end of their life , and a mistrale ?
    It's, ah ,umh , an interesting proposal...
    Just the 1 mistrale ? Or should there be 2 ? And while the mistrale(s) is protecting Ireland or invading Finland or chile or whatever ,who or what is protecting the mistrale...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Harriers ? Those really difficult to fly things , that are pretty much at the end of their life , and a mistrale ?
    Just the 1 mistrale ? Or should there be 2 ? And while the mistrale(s) is protecting Ireland or invading Finland or chile or whatever ,who or what is protecting the mistrale...?

Why a half dozen Flight 3 Burkes of course, I mean why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Markcheese wrote: »

A few P60's up armed with 25 or 30 20mm Rhinemetalls, nipping in and out of Killybegs, Kilrush, Kilkee, Belmullet etc to refuel from a couple of old Topaz tankers parked on the jetties.

Couple of FCA lads with recoilless rifles and Brens up front in the stern and down back in the starboard, Cushty!

Good to see all the regulars have bucked up their ideas and are looking at more ambitious plans going forward. By the way....slightly off topic , but read that the Spanish are flogging off some block 1 Eurofighters. 17 all told. Might be able to pick up 8 of them at a nice price!

Good to see all the regulars have bucked up their ideas and are looking at more ambitious plans going forward. By the way....slightly off topic , but read that the Spanish are flogging off some block 1 Eurofighters. 17 all told. Might be able to pick up 8 of them at a nice price!
    Think we're just ripping the p!ss out of you to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The FCA lads would get sea-sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

roundymac wrote: »
    The FCA lads would get sea-sick.

Are slua na marra still going ? Maybe I got the name wrong , anyway marine version of the fca ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I'm a member!

I'm a member!

You should forward your ideas to the quartermaster

• Advertisement

You should forward your ideas to the quartermaster
    What did that poor QM do to deserve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm a member!

Nearly right, you're a p****.

Couple of very good articles in todays Examiner dealing with the pathetic amoubt spent on the DF as a % of GDP compared to other small nations. Mirrors my thinking.

sparky42 wrote: »
    What did that poor QM do to deserve that?

:D QM might promote him to public relations officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No point buying expensive military kit when the state has no interest in retaining the personal needed to operate the gear. I see another naval vessel will have to be tied up indefinitely due to manning numbers.

If they bump up the annual spend to a healthy level then they can pay decent salaries and retain and recruit. They can also buy some more kit. Ships an aircraft and upgunning the P60's.
    I'm sorry I upset everybody by suggesting a Mistral. I was trying to counter a previous posters suggestion of an American Supercarrier. On reflection I believe that a smaller vessel would probably suffice. Something along the lines of the San Giorgio class in the Italian and Algerian navies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If they bump up the annual spend to a healthy level then they can pay decent salaries and retain and recruit. They can also buy some more kit. Ships an aircraft and upgunning the P60's.
    I'm sorry I upset everybody by suggesting a Mistral. I was trying to counter a previous posters suggestion of an American Supercarrier. On reflection I believe that a smaller vessel would probably suffice. Something along the lines of the San Giorgio class in the Italian and Algerian navies.

Surely you have better things to spend your time at, instead of posting nonsense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

who are we planning on invading?

Nobody is upset, they are annoyed that you've hijacked the thread by posting stupid outrageous rubbish and not contributing anything useful.

• Advertisement

who are we planning on invading?
    Rockall?

Advertisement