Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭sparky42

Interesting, given the time since the Doorman was built I would think the one off costs for us for a smaller variant would be well more than the reported budget for the MRV even if a less capable sensor system was selected. Kind of thought with the reports of Damen involved that they might be pushing the Crossover design? Can’t see why Babcock think the Arrowhead would fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,882 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a general purpose light frigate, highly modular and adaptable, not unlike the MEKOs and other such offerings, including from Damen, so not surprising Babcock made a pitch when they caught the sniff of a contract.

Interesting article above for sure, but the trade papers will have us buying everything short of a Ford-Class Carrier until the Government accepts the pending Houlders recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I wonder will we see French,Spanish and Italian visits as well?

They might be leaving it a bit late, also I wonder what current designs might they offer?

We don't even have a rough specification to tick the boxes against. I daresay they could roll into Cork Harbour in the middle of 2025 and still be in time.

However, I'm not sure those Countries have too much to offer for our needs anyway. Yes, their builders may well be involved in building the designs of the multi-purpose naval architecture firms, but their Navies are all colossal amphibious warfare ships and surface combatant units.

• Advertisement

There would be nothing to stop any of them taken we say a candian design and building it the same way appledore did.

At least there seams to be a bit of movement on this project.

What way would it work for the east coast crews when the kiwi ships get working. Will crews simply be assgined to the ships or would they be able to put in a transfer request to be bases there if they are from the east coast

Hard to know. I'm sure like in the Army, crew will be able to apply for postings or there may be a duty rotation to the east coast base for a specified time.

Given the size of the operation I don't think its likely there will be anyone assigned there full time.

In any case the Lake Class ships will be well in service before any east coast station is stood up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

When doing a cost comparison with KD, keep in mind her integrated mast (which is modular and can be swapped with that on the Holland Class OPV) retail for €100m each. Stick a standard mast in there and the cost comes way down.

So the mast alone is almost double the cost of a whole Beckett-Class?

Yikes.

• Advertisement

I did note that her sensor system could be a cheaper option, but I’d still question how much a “downsized” version would cost as a one off for us given all the changes that might be needed, and whatever system replaces the I-mast.

The I-Mast serves a purpose for the Dutch Navy, but is serious overkill for anyone else (and is also a completely independent unit within the ship, you just undo the bolts and you can plug the whole thing out, and slot it in somewhere else. It can even operate as a standalone on land, as the ops room is incorporated within). It is its own citadel. You just need somewhere on the ship to stick it in, like a giant lego block.

So basically, for KD, it was a third of the overall cost of the ship. But it permits KD and any of the OPVs (who's days are numbered in NL service- to be replaced by a Damen Crossover possibly) to act as c3 platforms with ECM and Phased Array radar, in addition to their other functionality.

What replaces the I-Mast? An ordinary Nav radar, and a standard Air Search radar, in addition to the standard comms and navaid any vessel of this type would have.

Stands to reason. Apple proprietary products are always way more expensive.

Disgraceful state of affairs.

Its an emergency situation, national service is needed, now.

National Service isn’t happening in Ireland, you might as well call for an Irish Moon landing.

When the lakes are in DL and working, To get crew particuarly for non married crew they

defence forces should take out a lease on this building so young crew have a place to live. As part of better T&Cs the personal will live free there.

Now now, do you want Finance and DPER to have collective heart attacks? And have everyone left in the NS wanting to take postings on the Lakes?

A lot has changed in the security paradigm of Europe in the past 11 months. The Germans are calling it 'Zeitenwende', a turn for the ages.

If I told you 18 months ago Germany and Finland, among others, would be sending MBTs to Ukraine to repel a Russian invasion, you'd have had me committed.

Sacred cows are being slayed all over the shop and Ireland is not immune, because all of a sudden, we have a boat load of critical infrastructure to be protected, not just critical to Ireland but to Europe and to global commerce and communications.

To paraphrase Sherlock Holmes, when all other solutions have been exhausted, whatever is left, no matter how unlikely, must be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

4 ships operational.

I doubt the new minister of Defence cares.

Can the Chief of Staff not do anything or is he happy being a Yes man?

I know there’s retention issues around the world with other Navy’s but the government could have done something more meaningful years ago and we wouldn’t have had this mess.

Something needs to change or else we can forget about new ships & investment in renovating buildings on Haulbowline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Engineers seem to be the main issue, national service is usually short term, maybe a year, engineers are usually better staying on the vessel they are used to,a constant turnover of engineers is not a good idea.Are you proposing that engineers only have to do national service, surely not,or how do you see it working?

Chief of Staff doesn’t set the pay so not sure how you think he can change things? And the story of Irish defence is “if we had done something before we wouldn’t be in the “X” state we are in”, given the story on the fight over unspent funds between DOD and DPER I wouldn’t expect DPER to either care or change. Hell they would most likely love the reduced costs of not having a Navy, and for them the best bit is they won’t be blamed if anything happens….

My model of national service would see two years compulsory national service for all citizens and qualifying residents of the State before age 30, irrespective of education level, job, parental status etc.

It wouldn't all have to be military, it could be in social and community service, paramedical, educational, sporting, charity, overseas aid and development work etc

Basically, every person would gain skills and experience that would enable them to give back throughout their lives. For those trained militarily, they could progress their technical studies through ongoing DF membership if they wish, and remain in reserve, serving maybe one month per year, until say, age 55.

I know its a massive piece of work and realistically it would have to be gradually introduced over a few decades, but there are many models internationally and I think it would be really good for Irish society, not least by integrating the work of the DF into everyday life.

But the overall point is, the World is getting less safe, more unequal, more divided. If every person growing up had exposure to how others live, to work alongside them and to be skilled to contribute in times of need and scarcity, like the epidemics, hospital crises, weather emergencies, movement of refugees, we'd all be better off than the cosseted and somewhat oblivious and feckless bunch the last couple of generations have become.

Basically all the reasons the Government are buying the MRV....

Will comapare to what the government are paying to hotels for refugees its small change. It would pay for itself in crew retenion

If they were willing to spend relatively small amounts of money the DF wouldn’t be in the state it is with the issues it has. Clearly one or more of the departments are beyond not caring about retention and are actively trying to reduce the DF at this point.

That would be DPER. A dept created to comfort a politicians ego, who, now that the financial crash is over, are struggling to justify their own existence.

It wonder the examiner or the times havent reported about Niamh & Roisin yet

I noticed that, nothing on the Indo either, RTE might not even notice of course.

The reporter works for Journal.ie. I've never found him to be wrong (unlike the bluffer in Examiner).

The Indo hates the public sector. They're too busy reporting how many kittens and puppies will need to die to afford the new "government jet".

As for RTE, if it happened outside the M50, they don't care.

• Advertisement

Well the one positive if you can call it that is we seam to have strong leaders in the defence forces that are willing to stand up and say listen we dont have the man power to run the ship safely so we are not going to sea. I imagine there was a lot pressure from government to not park up the ships

Advertisement