Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnivore 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What are you mostly eating? Are you finding it hard without the veggies or choice in meals ?

I loosely followed it and never thought I would miss a plate of veggies like I did . I did feel well though and definitely not hungry .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Beef Jerky, liver and heart, striploins, would be the usual run of it. I had a few local grass fed burgers saturday with a fancy enough cheddar from supervalu and some goats cheese and bacon. I had bacon and eggs yesterday for the first time since starting and i had a bitta hot sauce on the eggs. Im trying to incorporate more mince/diced beef into it now from this week on. I might have the odd bit of cheese/yoghurt through the week too. Everything is cooked in butter too. I dont miss the veg at all but i wasnr eating a whole lot of them in the year prior however i did like a good farmers dinner whenever i got it with a mountain of spuds and veg along with a bit of boiled bacon. From what i see on facebook groups is that you have to up youre fat intake to help beat cravings. Have a look at Paul Saladino the Carnivore MD talking about vegetable it might change youre perspective on them.

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What about mate tea?

I think there's some carnivorous Amazon tribe that drinks it for the nutrients.

It gives a nice energy boost without the jitters of caffeine. You might even appreciate the earthy taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Quick google on it there it seems the gauchos the argentinian cowboys used to survive for months at a time solely on beef and mate tea.

Another thing i happened to think about today on how the carnivore lifestyle trumps the modern western diet is how the pioneering populations of America and Australia survived back in those days before they had nutritionists telling them how to eat. I listened to the book Kings in Grass Castles a story about the Durack Family and The Overlanders who opened up huge tracts of land in Australia and i cant seem to remember a whole lot written in the book about fruit and vegetable consumption as they would have been non existent through most of the year. What was in abundance the whole way through was cattle i.e. beef and they seemed to live fairly fulfilled and reasonably long lives for the 1800s anyways.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well, don't really true at all, is it. Firstly he didn't hand his license he. He was order to surrender it by the medial board. And it wasn't because he was prescribing lifestyle changes. Doctors everywhere prescribe lifestyle changes, People are constantly told to exercise and eat better by their doctor.

The reason his license was suspend is that he was deemed incompetent to practise. Which make sense, he was a military orthopaedic surgeon. He had no experience in the area.

This action was based on failure to report adverse action taken by a healthcare entity and incompetence to practice as a licensee. 

Yes it was reinstated, after he passed basic competency, and on the condition that he is supervised in a clinical setting. Overall, this does not paint him as an advanced doctor. It makes him look like a graduate. That's important before you use his doctors license as an appeal to authority.

As regards his physical health in his 50s yeah he did have a fairly intense time training most of his life however im a young man myself and im doing a fair bit of training myself now and if the carnivore diet compliments that (which it has) im happy enough with that and who knows maybe when i reach my 50s ill still be thriving like him.

I was implying he was in steroids and has been for a number of years. His blood test that he posted for another issue pretty much confirm that. And sure, you could blast Test a bit now. And get onto TRT at his age (that would be my guess) and thrive like that.

As regards progress last November i was 130kg i dont know did it rise over Christmas with the excessive eating/drinking associated with the holidays but i was down to 128kg today. As regards measurements my measurements today starting into the third week were

Neck 17.5"

Waist 41"

Gut 42"

Chest 43"

Shoulders 53"

RH Quad 24"

Training wise my garmin is telling me ive hit new PBs after my swims and certain run sessions during the week. My coach was surprised with the level of training i put in last week after only really recovering the week beforehand and getting back into the swing of things after a poor back end of the year for 2022. Im attributing this way of eating for some of that.

Regardless of whether you are carnivore, keto, low-carb, low fat, vegan, etc. Ultimately it comes down to energy balance. Calories in - Calories Out.

Do you have a target calorific intake? Are you tracking intake with something like MFP or Chronometer. The answer to both should be a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I'd be more interested to get before and afters on your cholesterol and blood pressure.

All in due time, wont be today nor tomorrow youl have to make do with measurements and weight for now. Will that suit?

Better living everyone

@carrollsno1 Do you know if you are in ketosis?

That's the only reason I mentioned the ketone sticks really. I see that you are eating some honey (nice on bacon!). So it's not a keto diet, I see. I did miss the sweetness of even vegetables on my one week experiment with keto!

Good to see you feeling so well. Keep the updates rolling! 👍️

I would be surprised if i wasnt! From memory in Ag Science fo the LC Ketosis is when the body burns up fat to use as energy to maintain the body. However it could be that i am not in ketosis either. Just thinking there now ive not had a whole lot of honey this past week and fruit as well for that matter. Just had a little bit of goats cheese on its own here now thats tasting fairly sweet to me at the minute here.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

@Bullocks and @igCorcaigh

This might be of interest to you, its similar to the chapter in his book i am listening to at the minute. Im close enough to a tier 5 at the minute with honey and minimal fruit.

https://www.carnivoremd.com/resource/what-to-eat-on-a-carnivore-diet-your-carnivore-diet-meal-plan

Better living everyone

And how do you find managing it financially? Red meat is pricey, apart from offal.

Have you tried canned fish or chicken wings?

So far its ranged from €60-80 pw in the butchers and you could say €10 tops on top of it for some dairy/fruit/honey. Seems a nice but however ive seen a post on facebook recently how someone who hust started couldnt realise how cheap meat actually was in comparason to what crap they were consuming before. The thinking behind it was weve got this much superfood compared to that much crap for the same money. Someone else also posted how they are saving money by not eating out anymore on this way of eating. Id have been partial to a takeaway beforehand, a sourdough pizza locally could be roughly €15 maybe add wings and a drink thats exceeded €20 and will most likely be only one meal out of the week maybe a slice or two left for breakfast. I thought about it last weekend i havent huge options for eating out/takeaway on this lifestyle if i went for Thai, they can cook without oil yes, im sure they would without vegetables and then the chips/rice is obviously out the window too if i was to go for it its a pricey enough meal when compared to the fella in the queue beside me paying the same price but getting his veg and chips and whatever else with it. The chipshop is no good no matter how you dress it up best i could do is tray of kebab meat with a bitta cheese and really take the piss by getting a bit of onion on it just so they dont reckon im a complete nut.

Beef looks cheap compared to a takeaway now doesnt it.

In one way i suppose im fortunate i dont have chick nor child to support at the minute so its a bit easier financially. However i am mixing in minced this week and hoping to mix in diced beef next week. The problem this week with the mince i found was it was awfully strong tasting funnily enough my coworkers reckoned the steake taste a lot stronger than mince/diced at this butchers, reason for the strong taste is due to the grass fed and grass finished beef i believe. The other problem with the mince/diced is it has a shorter use by date.

Fish is strictly off limits for me, i used to love it as a kid however in my teens i went off it and went off it in a big way. Chicken wings would love to give a go, oyster thighs were my go to back in Australia when i went high protein animal based there i was eating 6 a day back then. Chicken i believe demands a premium for organic/free range/pasture raised whereas in this country anyway the majority of the cattle in this country there diet is a high % of grass/forage.

Better living everyone

Not quite. Burning fat for energy is just fat oxidation. Will happen for anyone that is dieting. Can even happen when not dieting depending on activity. ie on a long easy run, you definitely be burning fat.

Ketosis is rather than burning fat directly, the body converts fat to ketones for energy. Unlike muscles, the brain can't run on oxidised fat. So this only happens were carbs are very low. Typically less than 25g a day. Depends on activity. You can get test stick to confirm the presence of ketones in your pee. It usually takes a few days to deplete glycogen and start ketosis. Unless you are eating lots of honey, you'll be in ketosis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Losing weight and waist circumference is great, don’t get me wrong.

I mention the cholesterol and blood pressure as they’re the main risk factors that could be negatively affected by the carnivore approach, and ones worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Chicken thighs are great for carnivore. Find the ones in Lidl best, a good size and no bits of plucked feather parts left.

Instead of the ketone strips try a ketone breath meter. Theyre cheap enough on Amazon and just as reliable

I would avoid commercially grown chickens. Specially fatty parts because all the toxins that liver can't eliminate get stored in fat.

I have no idea where to get wild chickens, but you can buy really good organic pasture raised chickens in Ranelagh.

I'm sure they are very good, but they are still commercially grown chickens. Practically all meat is commercially grown, so its not much use are a description. Non commercial meat seems to be frowned upon. Seems silly to me.

I would try to buy free range all the time, and organic/grass fed when I can. But with the rising cost of living, I think people should make the best choice within their personal means. Non-organic chicken is not toxic.

As I said, I'm sure the above it great. Not sure what "Pasture raised" equates to as its not a regulated terms. But personally, for €27 I'd expect it to be fresh meat. Just a preference. Anyway, a carnivore should be eating a bowl of hearts and livers 😉

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Popoff

Are you still at it, Mellor?

Unfortunatly not, i succumbed to scurvy in the end and ive went vegan in the meantime as animal based/carnivore is bullshit.

Disregard the piece above, ive been fairly animal based/carnivore since tbe 03/01 however i have a family emergency at the moment here andci was planning on doing a 60 day update next week however thats not going to happen right now. I will be looking at significantly reducing dairy intake in the future an im not gonna lie there was a few drinking sessions aftercthe 30 day point which will not have done my progress any favours. I will update in the coming weekscwhen this passes over.

Better living everyone

Righto guys im back. Unfortunatly in February my mother took a turn for the worst and passed away in March so i had a fair bit to be dealing with over the last 10 weeks. Between hospitals, wakes and dealing with bereavement this endeavour got pushed to the wayside. I have been training fairly consistently (running, swimming, spinning, bike) since before patricks day and have even done my first 5km and 10km road race since then and Triathalon season is just around the corner now too. Despite going back onto the standard western diet the last 10 weeks ive felt slimmer more confidence in myself the usual and even got remarks that i was heading in the right direction too. However the tape and scale dont lie and i was putting off getting back to it but decided on this week and i pulled out the tape and scale this evening.

Shoulders 55, up 2 inches

Neck 18, up 1/2 inch

Waist 43 up 2 inches

Gut 45 up 3 inches

Chest 45 up 2 inches

Rh quad 25 up 1 inch

All gone the wrong direction however were still not quiete back to where we were at the start of January thankfully. I knew the weight wasnt going to drop over the last 10 weeks but thought i would at least maintain it or maybe go up 1 or 2kg with the training regime being fairly consistent however i was shocked to see the scale go from 128kg up to 134kg over the last 10 weeks. It really does go to show you cant outrun a bad diet. Tomorrows the first day back at it and hopefully i can get a good long run at it this time round. All feedback welcome, off to cook some duck eggs and bacon for tomorrows breakfast now.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

A week in now, any updates @carrollsno1 ?

Not fully a week in yet Tuesday would be a week done fully, however ive just done my measurements since you posted.

Weight is down 2kgs

Shoulders 54 down 1

Neck 17.5 down .5

Waist 42 down 1

Gut 43.5 down 1.5

Chest 44 down 1

Rh Quad 23 down 2

After 5 days thats 2kgs down as well as 7 inches lost too not bad going i would say. I even had a few Guinness 0.0s the last two nights which is not strictly animal based in the slightest.

A typical day so far looks to be between 2000-2500 calories consumed with some form of cardiovascular excercise in the evenings. Typical days macros are protein 178g(33%) fat 132g (56%) carbs 58g (11%) the %is the %of calories consumed that day. The weekend was a bit looser to be fair and i did consume some fairly fatty dairy foods yesterday which has caused a bit of an upset too. Ive not had any fruit so far its just been ruminant meat, eggs both duck and hen however ive a preference for duck eggs, bacon and tea i also had the least bitvof honey through the week also.

I spent €45 at the butchers this on friday for a 12 duck eggs, 1lb butter, 5 good thick steaks and a pack of liver. I also picked up 15kg of venison burgers for €30 this weekend too which will ease up on the spending a bit every week too hopefully.

Better living everyone

Just shy of two weeks in now. In the past 7 days im down 2.5kg however i didnt lose much inches wise. Figures as of today

Weight 130kg down 4.5kg

Neck 17.5 same as last week

Waist 42 same as last week

Gut 43.5 same as last week

Chest 44 same as last week

Shoulders 52.5 down 1 5

RH quad 23 same as last week.

Total loss so far in 4.5kg and 8.5 inches. Had a fairly tough triathalon this morning im going to break for tonight and enjoy a few handy pints this evening. Not looking for a lecture on how alcohol isnt animal based.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MickyBest

I will not discourage you from this diet. I will only say that the human body needs amino acids. Some of them are irreplaceable. And some of them can only come from plant foods. Research this issue. Perhaps you need a plant-based dietary supplement.

Post edited by MickyBest on

@MickyBest quick google search on that shows that animal proteins such as meat, eggs and milk are classed as complete proteins as they contain all 9 essential amino acids required by our bodys. Plant based sources of protein such as nuts, beans and legumes do not contain all 9 essential amino acids and are classed as non complete proteins. Ive been listening to several podcasts over the last week on this topic and i have yet to hear anyone mention taking a plant based supplement in any of them. Soms of the guests on the podcasts have been living this way for years so there is a fair timescale to work with.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Yes, you can get all 9 essential amino acids from meat, lean or not, and fish or eggs. The other 11 amino acids can be made by the body using the 9 essential that the body cannot make. If you have the 9 essential in your diet, you should have the 20 in total available to you.

Beverly Hills, California

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement