Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FUE Hair Transplant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I think it's worth mentioning that Topical Finasteride isn't as effective as Oral Fin...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's all a minefield tbh.. bear in mind if you have Laya health insurance you can get Proscar (Finasteride) tablets prescribed for free from https://www.careoncall.ie/hair-loss

Maybe VHI have similar, not sure

Also remember as Dr Nel is a registered doc you can also claim back a portion of the consultation fee, depending on your health insurance cover.

I got back €80 of the €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

The topical finasteride and minoxidil is definitely working for me.

I found this evidence before I went on this route:

I got it from Hims UK. I had to use AddressPal as they don't deliver directly to Ireland.

https://www.forhims.co.uk/hair-loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Advertisement

That's a quote from the same study I quoted from. That's a pretty liberal usage of the word "similar" (34 and 55). Possibly there were some vested interests in that study.

That's true, but still you would expect much lower results with other medications when administering topical vs systemic. Plus it's a relatively small study and generalising on a wider population could vary the results.

For me at a personal level, the topical combination of both minoxidil + finasteride seems to be working with zero side effects so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GenericName2

• Registered Users Posts: 33 grahamfitness

I've been reading your thread and just curious how you are now since the surgery, has it worked, did you need any more follow up treatments and do you continue to use the products in your hair.

How do you look at the whole experience as I'm considering it. Cost is key right now for me so it would be Turkey or Hungary in the end the cost difference isn't massive so then it's the whole procedure and results. My hairline has reduced significantly so I'm guessing I'd need a lot of work.

Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

It's almost a year since the surgery, and my hairs are looking denser every month. I am very happy with the results, and I am using Fin + Min hairspray from Hims website every night.

I will have a yearly check-up with the surgeon soon (basically take pictures from different angles and email them, and they get back to you). I am 100% happy with the left temple but 70% satisfied with the right temple, as the hairs on the right side are not dense and you can see the scalp to some extent. Overall, it was worth it.

A few of my friends went to Turkey and their results weren't this good. Maybe it also depends on how you care, genetics and body response to the transplanted hair.

I am happy to recommend Hungary over Turkey.

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Can I ask you if they said for you if this would be a one procedure process and did you have 4000 graphs. I've a feeling I'll need the most hairs and maybe further treatment but as you said it's hard to tell this as it can be down for how you care for it afterwards and genetics.

It was 4000 hairs at HairPalace, Hungary. Not 4000 grafts.

Yes, they told me one procedure was sufficient for me and if I wished for more I could come again after a year or two.

I am attaching picture of my forehead taken

today.

Thanks

Looks like a good job. Great to hear a good ending. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GenericName2

I have never heard of this place. What's yer thoughts, if Ireland only market vs abroad. Eithier way it's good there's some publicity around the procedure.

Mr Ó Sé underwent the procedure at the Cosmetic and Hair Restoration Clinic at the Bon Secours Hospital in Tralee just before Christmas and was “blown away” by how quickly he recovered post-operation.

Dáithí Ó Sé has said getting a hair transplant is the “best decision” he’s ever made. 

The TV presenter said he noticed in recent years that his hair was getting “really thin on top” and he decided to take action.

“This bothered me, and I’d guess it bothers many other men my age and even younger,” he said.

"I just didn’t want to talk about it.

“Of course, I realised the problem wouldn’t just go away.

“Well, life’s too short and it was time for me to do something about it.

“My job is about having confidence in yourself, something that was being affected just like my hairline, but not anymore!

“When I look back at pictures from last year, I can really see the difference. It's mad really!”

Dáithí Ó Sé at the CHRC. 01/11/2023. Image: CHRC

Mr Ó Sé underwent the procedure at the Cosmetic and Hair Restoration Clinic at the Bon Secours Hospital in Tralee just before Christmas and was “blown away” by how quickly he recovered post-operation.

“I’m even walking around with a quiff now and I’m told it will only get better in the months to come,” he said.

“I’ve done a lot of good things in my life, but this is the best decision I’ve ever made; I’m so happy with how it turned out.

“Before I was worried that my hair was thinning too fast, now I’ve to make more time for the barber - not a bad complaint at all!”

'Thrilled with my new head of hair'

Since his operation, Mr Ó Sé has become a brand ambassador for the Cosmetic and Hair Restoration Clinic - something he described as an “easy decision”.

“I only ever become an ambassador when I can stand over something I believe in,” he said.

“I’ve been through the procedure and had the most amazing experience, and of course, the results speak for themselves.

“I'm thrilled with my new head of hair and the confidence it has given me.”

Between 2019 and 2022, there was a 50% increase in demand for hair transplants - a figure perhaps influenced by the low number carried out during 2020 and 2021.

Main image: Dáithí Ó Sé and his doctor. Image by: CHRC. 

https://www.newstalk.com/news/the-best-decision-ive-ever-made-daithi-o-se-on-getting-a-hair-transplant-1521275#Echobox=1698960985-1

"Brand ambassador" in other words "I got it done for free!!!" ;)

Just looking at some of the photos, his hairline is a different colour to the rest of his hair. Overall doesn't look fantastic if you ask me.

Also, surprised to learn he's only 47, looks 60, and has done for some time.

Was very obvious he had a HT when I caught a bit of the Rose of Tralee,probably hadn't seen him since the previous year.

Interesting to hear they have an ARTAS robot in kerry but realistically that's not top end work,I'd wager you'd be paying top end prices though.

holy crap you're right.. I never noticed his age.. always thought he was going for the "I'm in my late 50s but act like I'm younger" thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,037 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi masterboy 123, can I ask what your regime is with your hair?

Do you use a derma roller?

The minox and fin is premixed together and comes in a bottle in a liquid form is it or is it like a mouse you spray into the scalp and hairline and rub in?

What’s the difference between the topical treatment you get from forhim’s.co.uk and Kirkland regained from boots etc?

How long do you get out of a bottle of that stuff?

How much is a bottle?

How often do you put it on?

Do you use Nixon shampoo also?

Do you put the treatment on at night before you go to bed or would you not notice if it’s in your hair if you put it on during the day?

Sorry for all the questions!!

1. I don't use derma roller.

2. I don't know what is kirkland regained so can't tell the difference.

EDIT: I searched Kirkland. It has Minoxidil only in it. And Hims are selling a combination of Minoxidil and Finasteride.

3. I get 6 months subscription (2 bottles of Fin + Min from Hims). The most recent costed me about €200 (180 for Hims + 20 via AddressPal and custom charge). It's a premixed solution either in the form of spray or dropper. I am using dropper bottles now as that has no alcohol.

4. I put it every night before sleep. The hair becomes somewhat sticky so I wouldn't put during the day.

5. Not sure what is Nixon shampoo. But I use GrowMe shampoo from Amazon for past 6 years or so.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Brilliant thanks very much.

I think I’ll go with this option.

I haven’t had a HT but I’m interested to see will this mixture actually stop the hair loss any maybe even somewhat regrow where I’ve lost on the crown and hairline.

I will also take a vitamin called biotin that I read and hear is supposed to be good for hair growth.

Biotin is a supposed natural DHT blocker,to be honest there's not a lot of evidence that it does much.Finesteride is a proven DHT blocker if your body can tolerate it (and you're giving yourself the best chance of that by using it in topical form)

You could add in biotin (it will also make your nails grow quicker) or leave it out,it won't make any difference really Finesteride and minoxidil is what you want.

Just out of interest have you or has any one else on this thread used the topical finesteride, with the oral tablet- propecia is it called or something like that?

Proscar,Prospecia etc are just different named brands of the drug finesteride.

I've used both of those at different times and different dosages but now just take .5mg finesteride each day.

I don't know about using both the topical and oral at the same time (if that's what you're asking?) I wouldn't think it's a good idea as you're taking more than the recommended dosage there,I'd say it would increase the chances of side effects.

You're most welcome.

I am also using high strength biotion in addition to the Hims spray.

I ran out of the supply for about a week and noticed hair started to fall more and looked thinner.

Do you get the high strength biotin from him’s also or somewhere like the health shop etc?

At the same time as starting your hair regime would you say you’ve taken steps to improve your overall fitness as well or would it be generally the same as before?

Have you noticed any side effects?

Im gonna stop asking questions and wrecking your head now 😂😂

Yeah thought so regarding the different names.

I would agree taking the oral and the topical at the same time is just double dosing and probably a recipe for disaster.

Have you noticed any side effects with the oral fin?

I took it years ago (I think it was 1/4 of a tablet a day- 0.25mg?) and I seemed to get very emotional or something 😂😂 very strange. So I stopped after about 6 months.

But I’m gonna give the topical with minox plus biotin plus possibly derma rolling a go and see how I get on.

41 now so not sure how much growth I’ll get back 😆.

I've been taking finesteride for about 15 years I had to stop for about 4 years to try to have kids in that time.I lost a lot of hair when I stopped.

Over the years I've had lots of the more common sides (to varying degrees)

I never had the more serious ones like ED or depression.

Biotin supplements are a complete waste of money.

• Advertisement

I get the Biotin from Holland and Barrett. I can't post the link but this is the name: Hairburst Chewable Hair Vitamins 30 Day Supply 60 Pastilles.

No side effects per se.

I am in general looking after my health (even before the hair transplant) and going to the gym at least times a week and eating healthy. I am a medical doctor and so somewhat health conscious to some extent 😀🫠

All the best

Advertisement