Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FUE Hair Transplant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

Were they expensive?

did you have any side affects?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭boetstark

1800 euro cash plus my flight. 1800 included hotel and transfers.

No problems at all. Painful donor area during healing but pure aloe Vera calmed that quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GenericName2

Any update on this? I too went to Nel and have just run out of Proscar.

I was consider getting finasteride off web doctor. My crown and front has got noticeably worse over the year, so I don't know if Proscar (and Lonitin) is doing anything. I don't live in Dublin so was thinking of ordering from web doctor or something.

For anyone here who went to Bisinga or any other top surgeon, what exact finasteride did you take before or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I just happened upon this

Online consultation by Laya Healthcare to get prescription for Finasteride and possibly oral minoxidil costing only €25 (which is refunded if they deem you are not suitable).

Bit cheaper than going the Dr Nel route for €60 per visit (although I still like to pop into him for this just to get his opinion on the state of things)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 KraigSada

hi

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vimalandrew

I had hair loss problem. What I did is I bought Argan Oil which is available from Lidl and applied on my hair 15 minutes before taking bath. Now my hair loss is fully gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Here in this forum, we would classify the above solution as "SNAKE OIL" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Sorry to open up an old post.

Was it 4850 grafts or hairs? I believe each graft has 1-5 hairs.

Thanks.

Hi All,

I would like to share my experience with hair transplant.

I am in my early 30s and started noticing receding hairline in the past two years. So I decided to explore the options of a hair transplant.

I got quotes from different clinics as below, and all recommend 4000-4500 hairs:

Cork, Ireland (FUE €7500)

Turkey (FUE and DHI from €1500 to €2200)

Hungary (FUE2 from €1800 to & 2300).

I went with Hungary and got the FUE2 hair transplant with 4200 hairs (not grafts) in Budapest, Hungary. Costed me €2200 by cash.

It's been only two weeks since the procedure and the scalp looks very natural. People can't tell if they had surgery and I am happy to recommend the HairPalace clinic Budapest. PM me if you need more details.

Few reasons why I opted for Hungary.

-Short and cheap RyanAir flight (€150 return with 20 kg luggage).

-Consultant surgeon does the surgery as opposed to a technician in Turkey.

-Medical procedures are more regulated in Hungary (falls under the EU medical regulations and ethics).

-Price difference between Turkey and Hungary was negligible when adding the flight cost.

-Medicines and good aftercare are being delivered so far.

Things that are better in Turkey:

-Slightly more hairs with the same price, and they are using the latest DHI technique. A friend did the procedure in Turkey last month, and his recovery was within 5 days as opposed to 2 weeks in my case.

-Turkish clinic provides shampoo in addition to the meds. But again the majority of his procedure was done by a technician, and surgeon checked in every now and then. He told me 6 more people were getting the hair transplant done at the same time, so the surgeon has to move around.

-No prior blood tests needed in Turkey. Whereas in Hungary, you need to get the bloods in Ireland and send off the results or arrive 2 days prior to the surgery in Budapest and pay €100 extra for these blood tests.

My surgeon in Hungary has recommended Minoxidil and Finasteride shampoo or foam from week 5 post-op.

Could anyone recommend to me where I could purchase this shampoo/foam with these two chemicals. I am not ready to take the oral pills.

Many thanks 😁🧑

Post edited by masterboy123 on

• Advertisement

So I am in week 4 post op.

My surgeon recommended Finasteride+Minoxidil based shampoo or spray. I don't want to take oral tablets.

So I did my research and found Hims UK selling spray form of 0.3% Finasteride + 6%Minoxidil. I have ordered it using AddressPal and should get it early next week.

4 sprays each day.

4 sprays each day.

Damn that sounds like a hassle, is that 4 sprays for the rest of your days, or just for the period after surgery?

If indefinitely that would mean you need to remember to pack the spray with you if you head for a day out etc?

and I thought having to remember to take the 1/4 tablet in the morning was bad enough!

It's 4 spray puffs daily (once a day). I will make a habit of doing it before going to work. And it's not on 4 different times of the same day 😁

Post edited by masterboy123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I know it's been asked a million times already, but how the **** do you get your hands on some Oral Minoxidil in this country? Has anyone actually got it?

Up until recently I assumed it was just by going to Dr Nel, but I've since managed to get it prescribed by my local GP. This may only have been because I was actively on it due to the initial Dr Nel prescription.

So it may be that the the €200 consultation with Nel is a requirement at the start (assuming you can find an available appointment), but perhaps ask your local GP first and find out what their objections are.

Just back from the GP, wouldn't prescribe it. Got quite animated when I tried to discuss the issue with prescribing it too, wasn't up for discussion. Also, she confused the side effects of Finasteride with Minoxidil. She said the only way I could get a prescription was by seeing a dermatologist, 1 year wait going public. Our health service are way behind the curve when it comes to hair loss.

€200 per prescription, that's some racket Nel is running. He could probably earn a living just by writing OM prescriptions.

There's other HT doctors in this country, some offer free consultations, I wonder would they write a prescription...

€200 per prescription, that's some racket Nel is running. He could probably earn a living just by writing OM prescriptions.

yup... sucks. Well it's €200 for the initial visit (where he examines your current state and gives you the hard sell on getting a transplant etc), then €60 to renew the prescription each time, which would be more like your typical doc visit.

It's mad that a medication that's available in every pharmacy in Ireland is so hard to get a prescription for. It's not like it's a rare commodity.

You could try the topical version some others are using that includes Finasteride too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

Funnily enough my own GP also confused the side effects of minoxidil with finesteride.

I'd be fairly sure there's a lot of GPs who are unaware of using finesteride as hairloss medication.

Also as oral minoxidil is not FDA approved (for hairloss) I doubt many doctors are going to be persuaded to prescribe it for this reason.

I take 2.5mg daily,I had serious palpations and dizzy spells for a month or so,heart medicine that isn't prescribed to you is not to be messed with.I don't plan on being on it for life,I'll most likely move back to topical when this batch runs out.

Personally didn't notice much difference in results anyway.

I have a prescription from mainland Europe and that where I get it from.

I am using Topical Fin + Min for the last 3 months and all of a sudden this week I see a major chunk of hairs coming out of the scalp. I had HT done around the same time so maybe the transplanted hairs are coming out now. Either ways I will continue to use topical solution from Hims UK.

Mainland Europe you say? So Irish GPs will accept prescriptions from abroad? I'm off to Dr. Turan in Turkey next month, could I get him to prescribe OM and present this prescription in my local pharmacy?

• Advertisement

I have it sent from Belgium, I really don't think any GP in ireland will prescribe it for hairloss,as I said its not approved in oral form for this use,it's a blood pressure drug.

Ask Dr Turan,you can buy finesteride without prescription over there so maybe the same with oral minoxidil.If you can't get it just use topical which you can buy in Boots or anywhere.

Sorry I meant Irish pharmacies, not GPs. Pharmacies don't ask questions, they provide whatever medication they are told to by a doctor's prescription. So if Irish pharmacies accept foreign prescriptions there might be no issue. Gonna ask about that tomorrow actually in my local.

Fed up with topical minox, such a pain in the arse to apply each day. It's making my scalp dry too.

really don't think any GP in ireland will prescribe it for hairloss

apart from Dr Nel of course... it's not illegal to prescribe for hairloss regardless of the purpose the medication was designed for, it's up to the individual GP to decide so it's possible you may get a progressive GP that is willing to do their own research and see that the medication is working and agree to renew the prescription, such as my own GP.

I went in for travel vaccinations recently in a different clinic and the GP there saw the OM listed on the "current drugs being taken" list and responded "Is that for hairloss?", so again she knew what it was for, rather than assuming it was for something else.

This is an article that is worth sharing with GPs who are in doubt, but whether or not you can convince them to change their minds based on this is entirely up to the GP: https://www.aad.org/dw/dw-insights-and-inquiries/archive/2022/low-dose-oral-minoxidil-alopecia

I too hated the topical stuff.. just ended up making hair stick to head and look greasy, plus it was just more time to waste in the morning when you're rushing out the door. Also cycling to work the sweat would make the stuff pour down into my eyes! :)

You could just take the hit and pay the €200 to get it over with? I mean you are flying to Turkey, so I'm sure the price of the stay will be more than that?

Once you get the initial prescription it's just €60 per year after... which you may or may not be able to get renewed by any GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ceolaguscraic

Wow, that sounds like madness to me. Going through palpitations and dizzy spells for a month does not sound worth it at all.

Are you not worried you are endangering your middle to long term health for short term gain?

Nah I'd probably stick to topical rather than fork over that kind of money, for what is basically the same product. Plus with topical I can add tretinoin for better results, and using topical will keep me motivated to dermaroll.

Dr. Fotios from Grow Club will prescribe Finasteride, but not OM. Seems doctors in general are wary of OM for hair loss because it's "not FDA approved".

In short yes.

I consulted my GP and he advised against it,however as mentioned he seemed to be getting finesteride and Minoxidil mixed up.

The side effects have largely went away after a month or 6 weeks so I'm more relaxed about it but I think I will revert back to topical.

As regards the meds debate in general you will see lads on forums etc saying " been on finesteride 6 months mate,no sides,it all in your head "

Be careful with this sort of advise.I was on finesteride for about 7 years,the first 5 I had no sides but then I had a lot of sides towards the end.Nothing major like ED,loss of libido or depression but brain fog,watery semen,pain in balls,nipples and the start of man boobs.

I stopped taking it (for these reasons but also to try for kids) I just started it at a lower dose again this month so will monitor things and see how it goes.

Bottom line is you don't mess with your hormones for years without some sort of side effects either minor or more serious.

As regards the dry scalp thing,are you using Rogaine or one of the cheaper brands like Kirkland? The cheaper ones seem to cause dry scalp.

I get the thing about it making hair greasy and stick to the head etc.I got around this by only using it once a day before bed.

Regarding topic Min+Fin spray, it does make the hair oily. But zero odour from it. I use it 9 pm every day and shampoo in the morning for a fresh start!

I am seeing the gains and no side effects so far.

• Advertisement

Can I ask where you get this? It's definitely something I'd be interested in

Advertisement