Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,278 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Can’t under what the big deal seems to be about wearing masks.

Some people want to wear one. Most people don't.

It should be no big deal but the people that want to wear them are hell bent on forcing everyone to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's not about "want", it's a public health measure which works better when everyone is masked.

It's like saying people want to smoke, most people don't. We weren't "hell bent on forcing everyone to stop smoking" - just stop smoking indoors beside us.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's not much interest in them now if they work so well

British didn't even mention them when the sh1t hit the fan with the hospital's lately

• Advertisement

Masks are not mandatory as they are not deemed necessary. So it actually is about "want".

You can wear one or not if you want.

A vocal minority continue to push to have them forced on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

Nobody anywhere "wants" to wear a mask. Some people think they're a relatively useful public health measure for relatively little inconvenience, some people don't. I'd suggest most don't think of it that way, and just don't like them, which is fair enough too, but there isn't some nefarious plan to force public health measures on anyone for sh1ts and giggles, and thankfully IMHO they won't be mandated ever again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Except you have been using the exact same phrasing since day 0, even when they were mandatory, phrasing it as 'forcing them on everyone'.

So you're contradicting your own posts if you are trying to pretend otherwise.

It's not about "forcing them on everyone" for the sake of it, as a power trip. It's being urged for motives of public health, and that is why mask mandates were in place. SO I entirely reject the premise of your post.

It is not debating in good faith, as it implies not merely are pro mask people wrong about the benefits of masks \ mask mandates, but motivated by bad motives.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

Mask-wearers can wear masks as much and as often as they want. Expecting others to do the same is just wrong! 

Pro-choice is what it boils down to.

"Public health" is a meaningless term at this stage. 

Actual health is not a priority in this country, if you think about it.

I don't care if you reject the premise of my post.

It's factual information that mask mandates are gone almost a year and not deemed necessary by authorities.

You can wear one if you want. That's not enough for some people though.

We've seen various unions and individuals pushing for mask mandates recently and once again we can see they weren't needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No granted, its not about a power trip, at least in this country it isn't, not sure about all countries across the globe.

What it is IMO is cheap point scoring by politicians with all the 'Aunt Marys' on the back of very weak evidence (if any) and be seen to be 'doing something'. Thats not a good enough reason and serious government overreach. If thats not nipped in the bud it can easily catch on to more sinister and invasive stuff. It's not about the great conspiracy it's about keeping the shysters honest.

Incorrect my friend, incorrect, all I asked is “What is the big deal about wearing a mask”.

Just asking dude……..any ideas?

They're horrible for the deaf community and anybody hard on hearing.

Detrimental to toddlers/children's development etc

Not ideal for security purposes. CCTV etc

Global data doesn't support that they had any major impact on cases. We're fine without them.

They're horribly uncomfortable, steam up your glasses, cut the ears off ya if you're wearing it for awhile.

Thankfully we don't have to worry about these things now though because the mandate is long gone and not coming back

Load of rubbish there …

Where is your evidence that “Global data “doesn’t support their use.

They are not uncomfortable if worn properly

Never saw a “toddler” sporting a set.

The advice from qualified medical people is that they are useful in preventing spread of airborne virus.

Some scones seem to think that they are better qualified than those medically qualified.

I would take the advice of the medically qualified that some scone roaring and shouting in a boozer.

Not suggesting that you fall into that category but that’s just me.

If you think they are so useful then you can wear one. You are entitled to do so.

It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But that refutes none of the facts.

Your argument boils down to personal freedoms, which means your only avenue for argument is to show that a pandemic did not occur as health measures overrule personal freedoms during a pandemic.

Over to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That is rubbish .

You say the same stuff over and over without ever referencing what you are talking about .. the epitome of utter nonsense !

Did you read my post above? ...distinctly no mandate suggested, the opposite in fact .

Wear a mask don't wear a mask but stop whinging that " people are trying to force you " .

Read the posts. A poster asked what's the big deal with wearing a mask.

I explained to him that there is no mandate as authorities don't deem them necessary. Some people wear them and most don't.

A lot of the people that want to wear them want to force others to wear them.

They've now been repeatedly told that it won't be happening. Maybe that irks some people...

Try reading the news. More than one union was calling for the government to bring in a mask mandate.

They literally publicly asked for the government to force people to wear masks...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As a trade union they were perfectly entitled to ask the Government for any measure they had the support of their members to ask for.

• Advertisement

The poster above said that nobody is trying to force me to wear a mask.

A union asking the government to force us by law to wear masks is people trying to force me to.

Thankfully the government are not backing down. There'll be no mandate and people have to get used to that.

They didn't.... They " suggested " that they be used in crowded busy indoor environments which is not a mandate, it is a public health response to an infectious variant . And it is what is has been recommended by the WHO which I posted above and suggest you to read . A response that has been lacking given our recent doubling of hospital cases , especially given our present CMO had said that the situation would be reviewed if cases went up .

If any health union did not ask for these measures in this situation they would surely be called negligent. Who else should care about public health if our top public health people are more interested in their political careers than the health of the nation ? She is abdicating her responsibility.

Again , nobody" forcing " any poor beleaguered person on boards to wear a mask .

I don't espouse mandates, but agree with WHO , education and encouragement is the way forward .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You've reduced yourself to trying to prove that the pandemic wasn't a pandemic, everything else you have posted has been proven untrue using facts and scientific data meaning you are only repeating the same defeated arguments from now on (and everyone else can reference that those arguments have been absolutely and thoroughly defeated ad infinitum).

So, pandemic or not, good luck with that, we'll see who's obsessed about the pandemic and who isn't.

Well at least you are confirming that it is the Government that will decide.

The unions, other interested parties and you have positions on the mask issue and can all try to influence the Government.

It's called civil society and that's how it works.

"We need the Government to now make difficult decisions including the return of mandated mask-wearing in congregated settings."

A mask mandate requires bringing in laws to force people to comply with wearing masks.

And that is exactly what INMO and some other unions wanted.

So what, the unions wanted one thing and you wanted something else.

Yes, which proves my point.

Some people are still not content with wearing a mask themselves. They want to force others to as well.

It proves no such thing.

The unions have no power to make you do anything.

No.They ASKED the government to make the decision. Big difference . Which as a HEALTH CARE WORKERS union, is totally within their remit . If it was just some uneducated,disinterested and uninvolved parties to the debate asking , that would be a different story, like why would anybody with any sense listen to a crowd like that ?

( When you quote , by the way, you need to also link so that others can see the context otherwise you could be making stuff up ? Where is that link ? What publication ? Who's spinning here ? )

Who should decide whether it is reintroduced or not or in certain areas?

CMO and public health should advise the government. It is the government who would make the decision .

Any union worth its salt would and should be doing its utmost to protect its workers . Doesn't mean they would or could " force " anyone .

The decision is down to the government .

It should not be left to any union to have to suggest that others do what they are paid a load of money to do .. under the present circumstances .

Useless bunch .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

For god sake even that annoying Nbru lad O’Leary admitted on a radio interview that the vast majority of union members in Dublin bus were against wearing masks but Dermot still went along with Phil ni of the nurses wanting compulsory masks to distract from gross incompetence by doctors, nurses and the hse combined

Advertisement