Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grey skies give way to......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

05 - 11 Dec

Mon: Morning workout. short walk at lunchtime. Back to the track for training, it was so cold. Intervals of 400m, 300m and 200m with 100m jog recoveries between each one. There was to be a 3 min recovery between each set but to be honest I kept walking or jogging to stay warm. 4.25km in 25mins.

Tues: rest day.

Weds: Did my workout in the evening. Followed by an easy run down the town, had planned 3/4kms in my head and ended up doing 5km in 34 mins. Legs were very tired by the end.

Thurs: lunchtime walk

Fri: Morning workout. Late afternoon walk doing laps around the estate on the road in the cold fog.

Sat: parkrun 5km 31mins 30. Hadn't thought this one through. Was out the night before for a Christmas party and wasn't in the best shape for a parkrun. Rocked up with warm layers and was told we're grand for volunteers. Shouldn't complain really, there's been plenty of times I've forgone my run to volunteer. First km or 2 was spent getting warm. Conditions underfoot were ok and the trail runners helped. As the run went on I could feel my head getting sore and the pounding on the hard ground. Was glad to finish and that I had the foresight to leave my coat at the finish line area to put on straight after while waiting for my husband to finish his 100 run! The first hot cuppa after parkrun was down in one go!

Sun: First Sunday morning lie-in in forever. Curled up in bed watching the Europeans cross country. In the afternoon I left a bit earlier for collecting the young lad from work and jogged over to the nearby park for a few laps while it was still bright out. The paths in the park aren't smooth which means grip. I really enjoyed it and wished I had gone out earlier to get a longer run in. 4.3km 28 mins

I'm getting close to my mileage target for the year. But the track training has been cancelled because of the weather, local footpaths are dicey, it's dark in the mornings and evenings, I haven't access to a treadmill and I'm not risking driving on those roads to the next town just for a run. I may be doing loops of the housing estate this week!

12 - 18 Dec

Mon: up the walls with work and the track running was cancelled with the icy conditions

Tues: very short walk at lunchtime. Went out for a run that evening, just did loops of the estate avoiding the footpaths - 5km in 36 mins.

Weds: morning workout online

Thurs: 2.5km walk at lunchtime

Fri: morning workout online

Sat: volunteered at parkrun

Sun: Finally the frost and ice started to disappear and I got out for a run in the afternoon. Went along some gravel paths and a few loops of the park where I knew the surfaces would be better if there was still some icy patches. A lonely run on my own but got some podcasts listened to. 10.2km 1hr 7 mins. Hit my distance target for the year of 1,200kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I find the cold weather can play havoc with the HR on my watch sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on hitting your distance goal for the year, 2 weeks ahead of schedule too! You've made great strides this year, I hope 2023 is another good year for you :-)

19 - 25 Dec

Mon: Back to training at last. Still bitterly cold so jogged the rest periods to stay warm. Pyramid intervals from 2 mins up to 5 mins and back down again. 6.2kms in 41 mins including warm up and cool down.

Tues: Been crazy busy trying to get work finished up and organised for Christmas. Went out for a late night walk to clear my head, few loops around the estate. 3.5kms.

Weds: Morning workout done. Hadn't planned on going to training tonight as I'd a nail appointment so I landed early and got a mile done beforehand and left training early. 6kms 42 mins

Thurs: rest day.

Fri: Staying with the inlaws and husband working remotely. So I went out for a run myself. Decided on a 10km loop and set off when it was just a tad misty. Running jacket came off after a km but went back on at 3.5km as there was a breeze off the shore. First half of the run was fine. Second half I knew would be tough from 5km to about 7km, but it coincided with the rain getting heavy. And then I missed a turn and only realised when I was almost at the bottom of a hill so I had to climb that again. I ended up nearly adding a km onto my run and was saturated by the end of it. Landed into my inlaws for them to have neighbours in for tea and sure they all though I was stone mad!! 11km 1hr 14mins

Sat: Had planned on the local parkrun but didn't get a chance

Sun: Christmas day. Wouldn't have minded a little walk for some air but it was fairly wet out.

• Advertisement

26 Dec - 01 Jan

In short - no running this week. Knew I'd be with my inlaws for a few days but no panic, and anyway the weather wasn't great. Had planned a few runs over the new year's weekend with a local 5km on the Friday and double parkrun Sat & Sun. All that went out the window when I test positive for covid. In the grand scheme of things I was fine but I was so bitterly disappointed to spend another Christmas break with covid (had covid last Xmas too). I hadn't lost out any money with registrations or missing a distance target, but I had been looking forward to some enjoyable running in daylight! I've only managed some short slow walks since then.

Not a great start to the [running] year.

I might as well set some running goals even though I haven't run a step yet this year!

Well I'm registered for DCM so kinda looking forward to training for that, and in particular group long runs. Already registered for Raheny 5 mile and Trim 10 mile so I giving myself this week to recover and hopefully be back running next week.

Haven't really decided on pb targets as yet - I think I'm still trying to process what I've achieved in 2022!! I suppose I'd like to have a more consistent 5km time - it seems to range from 29:xx mins to 27:xx. Still blown away with my 10km pb (53:xx) and it was the only 10km I'd raced last year so maybe race a few more and see what my 10km pace really is. 10 mile I would like to get nearer to 1:30 and half marathon nearer to 2:05. Marathon I'd like under 5 hours. One target I have set is to run 1,000 miles, not made a start on that one yet!!

Seen a few logs here do end of year reviews. Might be a good idea myself to help me get my head around the past year of running.

Total distance ran: 1,228 (target 1,200)

New PB's - 5km 25:40 (Roscommon Apr) 10km 53:21 (Mini marathon June) 10 mile 1:36 (Kilbeggan Aug) Half marathon 2:08 (Tullamore Aug)

First race of the year was Raheny 5 mile - even though it was technically a 5 mile pb - it was difficult to gauge due to the mix up on the course.

First race I noticed something different about my running was Tullamore 5km in March. First km or two I was trying not to go out too fast as I tend to run out of steam in the 4th km but my body just wanted to go faster, so I let it away from km3 onwards. Blasting up a hill, passing people - I honestly didn't know who I was! One of my most memorable races.

5km pb came at the end of the Roscommon race series - one of those sure feck it runs and the last km or 2 I tried to cling onto the lady ahead of me.

Only ran one 10km race - the women's mini marathon. Didn't feel the best prepared for this but I honestly couldn't have predicted a time of 53:xx! A race where I felt I quite enjoyed the run, only the last maybe 2/3 km felt tough.

The 10 miler was the first time I'd raced that distance. Found it tough enough as it was a very hot day and was glad to see the finish line. Time of 1:36 seems like a good marker.

Tullamore half was one of those runs where I went in confident I was going to pb but not sure by how much. It was a good run, felt comfortable for most of it. While I got a good pb, I did hope to be nearer 2:05.

Joining an athletics club was a great decision this year. The regular running, the training intervals where you push yourself just a little, the company. Even outside of the club there felt like a good running vibe locally and within the running community this year. The strength work has also been a help, first time in my life that I've felt strong in myself, a strange but nice feeling.

Otherwise I've just felt more confident in my running, I feel like a runner if that makes sense and that I deserve to line up with everyone else, not hide away at the back.

That was a great year, lots of big gains, well done.

Otherwise I've just felt more confident in my running, I feel like a runner if that makes sense and that I deserve to line up with everyone else, not hide away at the back.

Love reading this 🤩

I hope 2023 is another super running year for you x

02 - 08 Jan

Mon - Fri: no running as I was just cleared of Covid, straight back to work. Got out for a walk most days 20-30 mins.

Sat: Was visiting someone in Dublin so decided to tick a run off my bucket list and do Marlay parkrun. Well it was some experience, I have run parkruns with 200/250 people but never a crowd like this - 600+ Had no idea where was the start area, first timers briefing or anything, just stood around where there were crowds and the poor run director couldn't be heard, even with a loud speaker. Very congested for the first km. The crowds settled after that. Enjoyable run through the trees. I could feel it in my lungs for the last 2km and the last 500m I was out of push really and hadn't any fight for the finish. 5km 28:21. Splits: 6:02, 5:22, 5:44, 5:38, 5:34

Sun: as I'd successfully run the previous day and there was a lot of chat in the local running whataspp about the sunday long run I had FOMO and when I seen a few names whom I knew would be a good pace for me I opted in. I was nervous about this, but as we got chatting and shuffled along I relaxed into it. An out and back on the greenway and felt like we were at the turning point in no time. On the way back I got in step with a couple of girls and I felt the pace picking up a bit and to be fair I did pull back a couple of times. But overall I was glad to get a long run under my belt, my chest and everything felt fine. 10.67km 1hr 15mins. I was shattered later on and had a nap. Also I decided I wasn't going to do Trim 10 miler, it would be too much of a push I feel to be up to 10 miles in a few weeks and I'm also signed up Raheny 5 miler the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Oh I was timekeeper at Marlay Saturday, it was a nightmare 😅 The finish funnel wasn't ready for that many either, hope you were happy with the registered time , pls don't blame me 🙈😂

• Advertisement

I was there or there-about with the finish time so well done to you!! I was in awe at how ye were able to manage the numbers, it shows that parkrun is a well oiled machine.

9 - 15 Jan

Mon: getting back into things slow. Went for a walk at lunchtime. Met a friend for a run that evening as I didn't feel ready to get back to athletics club training. Had planned for 5km, it was almost 5.5 when we got back to the car so rounded up to 6. 6km 37 mins

Tues: just a short walk

Weds: another short walk. Did a workout video, tried to take it easy enough and not push too much.

Thurs: Awake early and decided to go out for a run. Nice to run when it was only starting to get bright and the neighbourhood starting to wake up. 5km 35mins

Fri: Decided to give the live zoom workout class a go. Found it tough and hard to keep up with the class. Went for a run in the afternoon when I still had a bit of daylight after work. Easy run on the greenway 4km 26mins.

Sat: On the road again for parkrun. Visited Castletown parkrun in Kildare for a run. Got there in plenty of time, a little warm up and got the first timers briefing. Started off quite congested to get into a bit of a stride after 500m once we passed the big house. Tried to settle in on my pace but difficult to do so avoiding puddles and managing crowds. Lovely running along by the river for the second km. Was stuck behind 3 women chatting and running abreast. Eventually scooted past. Tough gradual climb to start/finish area and second and final lap to go. now I knew where I was going and where the big puddles were! My 4th km in particular was quite good and I felt strong. But the last km I really struggled, especially that last 500m - it just felt like I ran out of juice and it was a real struggle up that gradual climb to the finish, I didn't even fight for any position. 5km 29:04 Splits: 5:57, 5:50, 5:57, 5:33, 5:26

Sun: rest day

16 - 22 Jan

Mon: Morning workout. Lunchtime walk. A little shuffle around the estate in the evening trying to avoid the slippy spots. Bit of a boring run on my own if I'm honest and could smell peoples lovely dinners cooking while husband was at home cooking mine! 5km 32:45

Tues: lunchtime walk

Weds: Another lunchtime walk. Did my workout in the evening. Track training cancelled with the weather.

Thurs: Another walk at lunchtime. I like snow but it can go now, I want to get out for a run!

Fri: morning workout class

Sat: Had volunteered for parkrun. So I went over at 8am, did a loop of the course to check all ok and carried on by the greenway out and back. It was just bright enough at that stage and a couple of dog walkers about really. Did 8.15km in 52:16. Back to the car, quick freshen up and put on a few layers to stand out for an hour watching everyone else run by!

Sun: 10 miles 1hr 50 mins. There's a few training for Trim 10 mile so I think they were planning 9/10 mile that morning. While it felt like it would be a big step up to 9 miles (longest in recent months has been 7 miles) I'd said I'd go with it. It was great that there was a nicely paced bunch going out and in fact there were quite a few groups out running that morning, different paces and slightly different routes but nice to meet them at different stages when out that morning. The run was just nice, it was relaxed, it was manageable. That said when we had the 10 miles done, I really wouldn't have been pushed at all to do another mile. It was nice to do a slightly different route than usual. I was quite pleased to have 10 miles under my belt. I am relived that I'm not doing Trim, I think I would have put myself under a bit much pressure and it's too early in the year for that.

Next weekend is Raheny 5 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck in Raheny, might see you there😊

23 - 29 Jan

Mon: Finally back at track training and the first month of the year nearly over! I hadn't been on the track since before Christmas. I enjoyed being back and catching up with people. A tough session to return to: a progression run. But I fell into step with another girl and we did ok with our pacing working together. Including warm up, cool down, running and recovery covered 6km in 38 mins.

Tues: An early morning walk 3.5km to stretch out the legs after first training session back the previous evening. What was supposed to be Monday morning's workout was done Tues eve.

Weds: Morning workout. Evening back at the track. A pyramid session going from 1 min to 2, 4, 6 and back down. Always an interesting session and the relief of the shorter intervals towards the end and seeing if you can give it a little kick on the last one. 6km covered in 39 mins including warm up and cool down. Met up with my mum after at the GAA pitch for the local operation transformation walk.

Thurs: Just a mile walk at lunchtime, the body was pretty tired after an active previous 24 hours.

Fri: Finished work early so quickly changed the clothes to get out for a short run while it was still bright out. Over the winter months I can be restricted where I can run in terms of light and safety. A simple out and back along the greenway, it was supposed to be easy pace but ended up going a bit quicker than I should have. I'm not going to lie - going out of the town on the greenway on my own has me nervous and it's something I need to get over. Did my workout class from that morning in the afternoon instead.

Sat: Rest day ahead of Raheny. Had volunteered to help out at parkrun. Was so tempted to join few of the girls who were running early for a couple of miles but I knew I had to be sensible.

Sun: Lazy morning and then travel to Dublin for the Axa Raheny 5 mile. I've run this race a few times so I know the lay of the land. However I hadn't really raced properly since Tullamore Half at the end of Aug so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of pace etc. Will do a separate post for the race report.

Spoiler: it was a PB!

Race Report: Raheny 5 mile official time 44:49 (PB!)

Splits (km): 5:42, 5:26, 5:33, 5:14, 5:39, 5:27, 5:39, 5:29, 4:23 (0.15)

A great race in the calendar, deserves the praise it gets and this year it lived up to it's hype!

Was a bit nervous going into this race. I hadn't raced since Tullamore half end of August. I have been ok at running over the winter but with weather, Christmas and covid I feel like I hadn't done much over the last month to 6 weeks. Also because the course measured long last year I wasn't really sure what kind of benchmark I was to run against and what might be a realistic target to set. So I decided on 45 mins which was to be 5:30/5:35 mins/km pace.

Bit of traffic heading up so a bit later than I expected and didn't get as much warm up as I'd have liked, still got a mile in. Headed over to the start area around quarter to time and had no idea if we had placed too far forward, too far back or just right. I'm short so I couldn't really see above the crowds!

Anyway we were go and the usual going with the crowds, watching your footing, trying to scoot past slower runners. I knew my first km was going to be slower and allowed for that. Second km was faster than I'd expected and found the climb up past the school and start area harder than I expected. Usually there's a lot of support along this km and they didn't disappoint here. Love a cow bell! Third km was slower - the route goes out onto a main road and we have the footpath or the bus lane to run. I try to stay on the road but it's easy to get stuck behind people here. Again I kind of knew to expect this. Turn down Sybil Road start of the 4th km. I knew this was a good downhill section so tried to make up as much time on this km. The crowd still felt quite congested and normally it's a bit more spread out at this stage. Around the corner and 4km done - half way there - a bit of a mental pep talk, pace on target.

5th km was ok - I could have done with a mouthful of water at that stage and starting to regret putting a light tshirt under my club singlet. The km finished when we were nearing St Anne's park and a look at my time at the 5km mark, 27:45 - some mental arithmetics for my last 3kms. Next km we were entering the park. I had kinda hoped the Scouts would have a little water table, I did want just a mouthful. But I had to steel myself up for the up and down of the avenue - probably the toughest part of the route for me. I don't like the motion of the flow of runners going the opposite direction, it's strange on my eyes. So I kept far left and put my head down. I did keep looking for the turning point, it felt ages away! One I turned I felt more like I was on the home stretch. Just before the end of the 7th km coming off the avenue the course narrows quite a bit here and you have to try and be mindful of other park users. Once I got past the dog park and onto the last km it was really just ok make it out of the park. Out onto the road and it just come on, push on. With about 500m to go I could feel the legs running out of steam then like I was trying to get through quicksand and everyone else was moving on ahead of me. Got to the bottom of the little park, knew there would to 2 rights and I was on the finish straight. The finish stretch felt so long but a club mate cheered me on and that gave me one last boost. After I crossed the line first thing I did was check my watch 44:49!! Delighted I was just in under 45 mins! Collected a substantial goody bag and guzzled down that bottle of water. Didn't really hang about as we had a journey home.

Really pleased to have gotten a good time and a good yard stick for the year ahead. Will be back to it again next year for the 40th.

30 Jan - 05 Feb

Mon: a 4km walk in the morning to stretch out the legs. Went down to the track for training that evening, nice speed session of 6 x 3 mins and then 6 x 1 mins. Nice that there was a little bit of fire still in the legs! 6kms 41 mins

Tues: Rest day. Just a little stroll at lunchtime.

Weds: Workout that morning. Buzzing after it. Back on the track this evening. It was a progression session which can take a bit of discipline and concentration. These are good training sessions for me as they teach me what to judge and control my pace by feel, learn to start slow and the push on when I need to. We did 6 x 4 minute sessions. Total 6kms in 39mins. A little walk after with my mum at the gaa pitch for OT.

Thurs: rest day from exercise, done nada activity-wise, brain was up to 90 with work though!

Fri: morning workout. It was a very fast paced session and I just felt like I wasn't able to keep up with the reps. Then that evening I had signed up for a bit of a different run - the Kinnity Knight Run. A run in the dark in Kinnity at the bottom of the Slieve Blooms. A 10km loop - 6km up and 4km down. We had high vis, lights and head torches. The climbing was tough, could really feel it in the calves and walking was no easier than running! The running down bit was good but you had to watch your footing at times. Something fun and a bit different. We completed it in 1 hr 7.

Sat: No activity, was run director at parkrun.

Sun: As most of the usual Sunday morning crew were doing Trim, I'd arranged to meet with one other who wasn't doing it either. He's getting back into running which is great to see and his long run this weekend was to be a step up to 5 miles. So I meet with him and did a nice enjoyable 5 mile, roads and greenway were quiet at 8am and despite the cold temps, it was a lovely morning for running. There wasn't a bother on him and we were done in 56 mins. After saying goodbye to him I decided that I was nicely warmed up and didn't want to stop just yet and that I would do another 5 miles. Well these felt a lot longer running on my own. Looked at my watch thinking I'd 3km done when I wasn't even at 2km! Some true crime podcast in my ears and just pushed on. Got my second 5 miles done in 50 mins and pretty happy to have 10 miles done in total.

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on Raheny nice report - and a great start to the year . You nailed the target - great pacing - doing the maths on the run is hard stuff !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on your PB for Raheny, very well deserved 😊

06 - 12 Feb

Bit of a funny auld week. Didn't feel well earlier in the week and that left me lacking in energy for the rest of the week.

Mon: Bank holiday. Bit of a rest, bit of housework, bit of work work. Did an in person workout class and really enjoyed it. Did a 2km easy run beforehand to stretch out the legs after the 10 mile the day before. WE had no track training that evening.

Tues: unwell.

Weds: not an ounce of energy. Had to work late so didn't make track training.

Thurs: Busy with work

Fri: Busy with work. But feeling a bit more like myself.

Sat: We had a rare weekend where none of us were on parkrun volunteer duties so we decided to do a spot of parkrun touristing. Paid a visit to Lough Key parkrun for a change of scenery. Decent crowd and lovely run through the forest. I brought my trail runners but conditions were good underfoot. Pretty congested to start but after 1km it was more spread out. Enjoyable run through the forest, did feel like the energy levels were low alright and felt like a long 5km. Little climb at the 4km mark to sap the legs and then trying to hang on in there to finish. 5km 28:00mins even.

Sun: Was visiting the inlaws so headed out for a run before I got tied to the table for more tea! There aren't many routes to run near them with busy roads no verge, or fair climbs. I combined to 5km loops that I would do regularily when I'm up. The first loop felt tougher and longer than I'd remembered, it was a real struggle for the first 2.5km. At 5km I rang my husband to see where he was as he was to be going out for his shorter run but he hadn't left the house yet. So I carried on but met him where he took a short cut across to meet me on my way back from my second loop. While the pace slowed down it was nice to have company. When we got back to near the house, he only had 3.5km done so we carried on to get him to 5km. At that stage I was at 10.5km so anything after that was a bonus for me. We carried on, turned later than we should have so finished up on me with 12.5km in 1hr 24mins. Happy enough with that after feeling like crap most of the week.

• Advertisement

13 - 19 Feb

Mon: Early morning workout. An ok training session on the track 3 x 8 mins. Probably could have pushed a bit harder. With warm up, cool down and recoveries 6km in 42mins

Tues: Early morning walk to stretch the legs.

Weds: Another morning walk, needed to clear the head.

Thurs: Early morning workout.

Fri: Another early morning workout. Cut it short as I'd arranged to go for an early morning run with a neighbour. Quite enjoyed running down the town and back as the world was waking up and the sky was getting bright.5km 34 mins.

Sat: no running, was volunteer at parkrun. Met someone for a workout, nice to have a bit of company as most of my workouts are done on zoom and following a recording.

Sun: I don't know how Saturday got away on me but that meant I had to figure out how to get my long run done on Sunday with mass at 10am and family stuff to do after! Only thing for it was to get up early. I was in town for 7am, a little nervous about running on my own so I stuck to main roads until it got a bit brighter. Even though it was near 8am when I got onto the greenway, there wasn't a sinner on it. 😐️ Got 10km done before meeting a few others at 8:15am for their planned 5 miles (8km). Glad to have a bit of company now and a chat and didn't notice the miles going by. Lovely easy pace for the 5 miles (about 6:45/7 min/km average). In total 18.1kms in 2 hours. And at that pace I could have kept going so I was pleased with that, my longest run in a good while. Means I could press the green light on registering for Mullingar half marathon on St. Patrick's Day.....

20 - 26 Feb

Mon: Skipped morning workout. Track session was a pure speed session 10 x 30 seconds on/off, a 5 min jog, then another set of 10 x 30 sec on off. Good to be able to try and push a little with the pace, especially in the second half. 4.2km in 25 mins.

Tues: morning workout. Went for a walk that evening.

Weds: Had to work late so missed training on the track. Decided to do the morning workout which I had skipped as I wasn't in the humour to leave the house.

Thurs: rest

Fri: Morning workout. Had planned on doing a longish run in the afternoon after work. But we ended up going for a work lunch which meant I was home later and was as full as a tick. So I went for a long walk instead.

Sat: Missed parkrun as I'd to bring the young lad to an exam. Got up early and ran 6km in 37:53. Grand run, took a little while to get into my stride but it's nice to see an unintended progression run! Splits: 6:29 (downhill), 6:36, 6:20, 6:10, 6:09, 6:03 (uphill). Went for a 2km walk while himself was in the school.

Sun: Was away for the night and packed the running gear just in case. It was actually a gorgeous morning for a run and the route was coastal which made a lovely change from the midlands. First run of the year in shorts (I'm soft). A faster run than I had set out for, especially after the alcohol the night before, but I really enjoyed it! 5.7km in 34:26. Finished off with literally just putting my toes in the water - I really have to take my hat off to those who sea swim - it felt like someone was stabbing my feet in the water! (Again I'm soft)

The track sessions sounds really good and enjoyable . I wear shorts all year running but so wouldn’t even dream of putting my toes in the cold sea . So fair play - you not soft at all !! I don’t believe in unnecessary discomfort . ( don’t get me started on sea “ swimmers” - I’ve no problem people swimming in the sea whenever they want ( wetsuits people ) but it’s the Instrgram photo guys( just posing for photos ) that get my goat !!!)

I was in Portugal last Sept and struggled to get into the water! In the end I did get in every day (I was only there for a long weekend so 4 times) but only with serious coaxing from my two, all year round, sea swimming friends - they said the water was very balmy 🙄

You are great for keeping up the workouts, track sessions and your own runs as well - fair play, lots of variety!

27 Feb - 05 Mar

Mon: Track training. Speed session of 2 mins fast & 2 mins jog x 2, then 2 mins walk. Times 3. Then a spicy 2 x 200m and 2 x100m I don't usually do short fast bits like that but I enjoyed it! With warm up and cool down 7.15km in 45 mins.

Tues: Short walk at lunchtime. Online workout that evening.

Weds: Tempo session on the track. 4 x 7mins with 90 second recovery which felt very short. With cool down, wasn't on time for warm up - 6kms in 38 mins.

Thurs: Lunchtime walk and evening workout.

Fri: Busy day exercise wise. Online workout that morning. Got finished work earlier than planned so went for a 5km easy run (33 mins) while it was still bright out. Then had to bring my son for a mock exam so I went for a walk while I waited. He was delayed getting started so spent the last 2 km of my walk going up and down past the school!

Sat: nothing.

Sun: Nothing for the weekend. Had something else on. Not ideal getting no long run done this weekend with the half marathon on St Patrick's Day. But hopefully a short long run next Sunday incorporating a 5km race will have me ready 🤞

06- 12 Mar

Mon: woke up with a head cold. Felt lousy. Went for a short walk that evening just for some fresh air.

Tues: Still felt like crap, just with no energy to boot.

Weds: Woke up feeling much better. Went to track training that night. One of the girls is looking to ensure she can go sub 60min for 10km so me with the vast experience of ONE 10km race under 60 mins done, decided I would pace her for the intervals! The session was 4 x 6 mins with 2 mins recovery which was perfect for what we wanted to do. I actually enjoyed it, I might have been going a little too fast but fair play to her she worked hard. I do know she will be well able when the time comes, I think she just needs to build her confidence up a bit. It's strange for me to be the one pacing and supporting someone else! 5.3kms covered in 38 mins incl recoveries and warm up. I didn't bother with cool down, ordinarily I would have to bring me up to 6km but I was just glad to have gotten out for a run at all.

Thurs: Morning workout, really enjoyed it, sweated buckets! We got snow that evening so went out for a walk in it. Hopefully, that's it now til Winter, I am so ready for sunshine and warm weather now. Oh how mother nature laughs at me.

Fri: Body was sore and tired next morning so gave the workout a miss. Thought I might get to it in the afternoon but ended up working late and had a lot of housework to do.

Sat: Was volunteering at parkrun and got absolutely soaked and frozen to the bone. An anti-social one, people headed home as soon as they finished to get out of the wet clothes, I wouldn't blame them.

Sun: First race of the Offaly race series. I'm not with an Offaly club although technically I am half Offaly in blood - this is not a requirement to take part in the race series however! First club to host was Tullamore and it was a fantastic event. My plan: few km warm up, 5 km race, few km cool down after = 13km long run. I usually only do about 1km warm up before a 5km and no cool down! Arrived early, collected race number and got 3km done (22 mins). Back to the car to swap the long sleeve for a singlet - it was quite warm out - I told you Mother Nature is playing with me! Picked a spot near the back of the pack, and we were off. Felt I had started a little fast but it felt ok. Even after 600m it felt a bit congested and was having to watch where I was stepping to try and get around people. First km beeped at 5:13 - bang on what my average pace was for last year's race. Second km was ok, trying to keep in mind that I was to try and maintain this pace for the whole race! Another bit of trying to scoot past people plus a very slight uphill, not visible but just making you work a bit. 2nd km 5:25 - crap I need to pick up a bit. I was boxed in towards the end of the 2nd km so I looked for a gap and darted out. Around the corner and clear road infront of me, around another corner where I knew there was a climb and a powered up it, passing one person and catching up on the group ahead by the time I got to the top. Now that we had looped around we were on the homeward stretch. 3rd km 5:09 - that's better. My 4th km was spent picking off people one by one, such a good feeling but I was a bit worried I was going to run out of steam. Look I'm nearly finished, just keep going! 4th km 5:05. Onto the last km and it was just keep going, knew we would turn off the road and into the stadium for the victory lap! Was feeling very overheated and when I got to the track for the last 400m I hadn't it in my legs and was afraid I was going to puke. It took everything just to keep going, keep moving, I just wanted to be finished. I hadn't the sprint for the finishing straight and I was a little annoyed at myself being passed by people I'd overtaken earlier. Last km in 5:02 and an official time of 25:53 - my second quickest 5km!! Really quite pleased with that, once the feeling of nausea passed. Bottle of water, a jaffa cake and few chats and it was back to the car to stick back on my long sleeve and out for my 5km cool down. Went the opposite direction than the race still buzzing! Could feel it in the legs a bit on this cool down. 5km 33 mins. I feel like I should be ok for the half marathon on Friday morn - I just need to hydrate myself properly this week and get a few early nights. Plan is to run with the 2:10 pacers and see how I'm fixed 🤞

Well done on the 5k - sounds like you pushed hard! Hope the half went well .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

How did the half go? You sound like you are enjoying your running at the moment.

13- 19 Mar

Mon: Early morning workout. Went to track training this evening, tried to take it easy enough and chat while going around. 4 x 6.5 minutes progression runs - so start of your set slow and on the whistle pick up the pace at decreasing intervals. I find training like that interesting for me to try and learn to start out slower, to judge my pace by feel and to be able to mentally and physically pick up pace. 4.8kms in 31 mins

Tues: lunchtime walk.

Weds: Morning workout. Had something on that evening so missed track training.

Thurs: Lunchtime walk. Finished work early and felt I wanted to get a short run out to stretch the legs. 3.2km in 21 mins.

Fri: Mullingar half marathon - 2:07:32 - pb!! Will do race report in a separate post.

Sat: Rest

Sun: 4km walk

Edit to add: Ros Run (in Roscommon) next weekend - 10km. Entry has carried over since 2020 so use it or lose it. Be good to get a run out to suss out a current 10km pace.

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

• Advertisement

Race Report: Mullingar Half Marathon official time 2:07:32 (PB!)

Splits (km): 5:52, 5:46, 5:51, 5:45, 6:00, 5:49, 5:51, 6:01, 6:06, 6:02, 6:06, 6:09, 6:09, 6:05, 6:15, 6:12, 6:33, 5:56, 6:03, 6:04, 5:40, 5:22 (0.2)

A race that I've wanted to do for some time but it being on St Patrick's Day it just didn't really suit. This year however it did. I felt I didn't get the long run training I should have with other things going on but figured sure if anything it will be a long run at least, a practice race . Went into it fairly determined to get under 2:10 and as close to my pb 2:08:12 as possible. Also, like the 5km the previous weekend, I wanted to see where I was with that distance pace-wise.

Landed in Mullingar in plenty of time, walked up the town to get my race, back to the car and did a 1km warm up. Back again to the car and bumped into a club mate so we jogged to the start area and met with others from the club. A day for the singlet, it was very mild out - wish I had a bin bag though to keep the rain off before the start.

Anyway got going and my plan was to stay with the 2:10 pacers for the first few km to ease in. But after 500m the pacer was running 5:45/km so I scrapped that idea and ran myself. I just tried to settle into my own pace by feel. Unfortunately feeling fresh at the start so my pace for the first 5km was around 5:50/km! But it felt fine and I was enjoying it so I didn't worry. 5km done in 29:30 which I was happy with. I had been running near I girl I knew and was chatting her the odd time. But from around 8km onward she seemed to slowly move onward and I let her go. At the same time my tummy started to feel off, wondering should I use the course toilet when I came across them but each time I felt fine once I got near one. Was glad when the watched beeped for 10km - in just under the hour which again I was pleased with. But it felt like it was going to be a long way to get to the finish! After that my tummy felt unhappy again so I tried to distract myself by chatting to a local runner. He told me about the big climb up ahead - fly over the N4 at 12.5km - which in fairness I knew about anyway. It was a fair climb but I was mighty pleased I ran up it the whole way, passed M'gar man and others on my way up. Once down the other side we were turned and in my mind I thought right we are facing for home now so it put a spring in my step. Onto the canal now and I do like a canal run. Tried to relax as best I could. When the watch beeped for 15km I was thinking right 6km to go, hold on another little bit and you can start working after 10 miles. But by then my insides really weren't great and I grabbed a fresh bottle of water just before 17km and had to stop briefly and walk, I was sure I was going to empty out 🤢. At that stage to get myself going it was just think of the toilet at the end, the quicker you go, the quicker you'll get there. A guy who worked with a friend of mine was up ahead, he had passed me about half way, so I put a target on his back and reeled him in and got him with 2km to go. Those last 2km I pushed on and was surprised that I had a good burst in my last km, tummy trouble all forgotten I had such drive! I just wish my last 10km had been as enjoyable.

Finish line, waddle to the race HQ for tshirt and medal while chatting a few clubmates and sipping on soup while waddling back to the car and straight home to the comfort of my own throne! Not going to lie I was disappointed when I seen my finish time - I thought with how I'd been running in the first half at I'd have been closer to 2:05. But still a pb by 40sec and it's early in the year yet!

Advertisement