Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

22 - 28 Mar

Mon: track session. A session of 5 x 3 mins. A good session at 5km pace or quicker. After the session a few of us went out for an extra 2 miles, lovely to get back on the greenway in the evenings again with company and daylight. 8km 51mins including warm up and recoveries. First run in my new runners, feet getting used to them.

Tues: rest

Weds: Love an auld pyramid session on the track, it's great to try and pace yourself. Happy enough with my intervals going up the way. But back down felt tougher. And I misjudged the intervals, started the second last one thinking it was the last and flew off, wondering why I'd left the others behind me. I crashed on burned as they caught up on me! Last interval and hadn't the kick in me, it was all used up. Felt like a rookie error! Few laps cool down to round it out to 8km in 55mins.

Thurs: Rest. Fitness class and a morning walk.

Fri: Morning walk.

Sat: Parkrun. Over visiting my inlaws so went to their local parkrun. Parked up early and got a 2km warm up in, nice and easy. It was getting warm out. Started parkrun and it was a bit congested at first but eased out after 200m. A 3 lap route of what goes up must come down! After the first loop I seen that my average pace was pretty good, try stick at it and felt good for the second lap. Trying to remember what my own course record was thinking 27:xx but not sure what. But on the last loop I really struggled with the climb and slowed up to a walk. Got going and had to work to get back to my pace. Tried to push on as much as I could for that last lap. Crossed the line 27:11. Checked my course pb after - 27:05 - so close - that walking cost me I think. Ah well I'll just have to try it again next time I'm visiting!

Sun: Out for my long run, wasn't as early or as long as I had initially planned. Plotted a route which was mostly along the waterfront which was really enjoyable. Roads around that way aren't great for running, you'd nearly want to stick to the back roads as they are quieter and safer from traffic but are hillier. And I wasn't in the mood for hills so we had to contend with jumping into the verge every so often for drivers who wouldn't move out for us. But an enjoyable run nonetheless, relaxed pace, lovely scenery. 11km 1hr18mins. Passed the 500km mark, early in the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

29 Apr - 05 May

Mon: track session. 7.5km incl warm up and cool down. 4 x 90sec increasing paces with 2 mins off. 4 sets. Went ok, it's nice to look back on strava and see each interval does actual increase in pace.

Tues: rest

Weds: Track. 5 x 5 mins session. To be honest, I actually wasn't paying much attention for this. I ended up chatting for most of it, as much as you can do running about. Session kinda flew past and at the end I wasn't even sure if I was running the prescribed paces. Was embarrassed when the session coach said as I was stretching that I had a good session out there that evening and was working well! I couldn't tell him I wasn't paying any attention! 🙈 6.6km in 45mins incl warm up and cool down.

Thurs: rest

Fri: walk.

Sat: morning workout class. Over to parkrun after. Feels like ages since I'd run my local parkrun. I don't know what I had for breakfast that morning but seemed to have found an extra gear somehow! Or maybe it was because I didn't do any warm up. Eased into it for the first 200m and seemed to find my groove at 5:40min/km pace and in step with another lady. I let her go on I think maybe around 2km, but still kept her in my sights. Otherwise I was picking off people slowly one by one. Funny enough I seemed to pick up pace for the 3rd km. At 3.5km I caught back up with the lady I started with and we seemed to keep it steady and strong and we picked up a passenger at 4km for the last bit. A very quick glance at my watch showed me on for a pretty good time, wasn't sure what my course pb was, thinking around 28:00-ish. A good incentive to keep the pressure on for the last little bit to finish in 27:37. Looking back over my parkruns on this route, I ran this 5mins and 1 sec quicker than my first ever one!

Sun: Long run. Had planned out an 11 mile loop from a friend's house. It was a warm enough morning, will have to start digging out the singlets and sun visor. A lovely run, roads quiet even though we set out after 9am. Much of the run was in the countryside for lovely peace and some chats. Into the town around 10km and hopped onto the greenway for 4km and off then for the last 2km. 18km in 1hr 50mins. Pace felt ok for running and chatting, on paper it reads a bit fast for my LSR but it felt easy effort-wise. Onto a bonus bank holiday fitness class after - seemed like a good idea when I booked in after class the previous day but felt as weak as a kitten for much of it but managed to pick things up a bit at the end!

Advertisement