Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

03 - 09 July

Mon: missed track training as we went to the bog.

Tues: morning walk 4.2km. Nipped out for an evening run around the sports centre before the late night grocery shop. 5.1km 30:33 mins

Weds: Track training. Had us doing the trail circuit for a change of scenery. 6 km 38 mins.

Thurs: Bit of time to myself that evening so decided on a long walk with the Scamanda podcast. But by the time I got the far side of the housing estate it started to rain and even though I had a coat and hat on, it was no good - I turned back and was soaked to the bone and 1 mile walked.

Fri: Few errands to run in town and decided to get an easy run along the river while I was there. They were going a lot of work in the park so I turned and went out the opposite direction along the river. 5km 32 mins.

Sat: rest day. Was time keeper at parkrun. Went out for a walk that evening.

Sun: Decided to do the following weekend's long run 18km as I might not be available then. A few said they would do 10 miles so I arrived a little earlier and did 2km myself. Got soaked and when I got back to meet the others I could have been very easily persuaded to call it quits. But the rain eased after a couple of miles and the sun came out! Stashed my damp running jacket along the route to collect after - the joys of summer running in Ireland! Enjoyed the run and the company. Legs did feel a little tired and a little achy for the last few km. But this has been my longest run since March.

10 - 16 July

Mon: Another missed track session. It was raining cats and dogs all afternoon and the track was deemed waterlogged. They said they would hold training on the indoor track which I'm not really a fan of. But by the time I got in from work, I had no desire to leave the house again so I did an online workout instead.

Tues: Small procedure in at the doctors, all good. Went out for a very slow walk that evening.

Weds: Another slow walk

Thurs: Another walk, bit quicker, feel like I'm back to myself again.

Fri: Said I would chance an easy run. Definitely felt like it took me a while to ease into this run, you'd swear I hadn't run in weeks. By the end of it I was happy and comfortable enough. 5km 32 mins.

Sat: I'll take the opportunity to run at parkrun when I can get it, a race on the Sunday meant people putting themselves forward to volunteer at parkrun on the Sat. A damp drizzly morning, didn't notice it too much when running but my top was soaked by the end. 1km warm up. I actually kept the parkrun pace steady for the most part, struggled a little on some of the hills and picked up the pace for the last km. 29:30

Sun: Club training plan called for 18km this weekend. This was the first weekend where there was a proper crowd out locally for DCM training. It was great to have a bit more company on the road and a good mix of paces. Weather was good for a run, should have worn a singlet rather than a tshirt. Plenty of chatting and catching up with people, a bit of nervous excitement from those training for DCM and a relaxed vibe from those who aren't. A good half of the route was on quiet country roads which made it relaxed and chatty. The kms ticked by. At 10km I took my first ever gel - I'd been recommended to try the Hi5 aqua gels so I picked up one in Elverys, it seems to go ok apart from a little heavy feeling in my stomach around 11.5km which quickly passed and may not have even been gel related as I'd had gulped some water at our water stash en route. I didn't really know what to expect with them but noticed after that I wasn't flailing for energy for the rest of the run. For the last km we all went silent, each picked up the pace to what they wanted, a strangely satisfying way to finish! 18km done in 2hr 2 mins, average pace 6:45 mins/km. I did feel quite tired in the afternoon, I don't want to get into the habit of napping in the afternoon of a long run so kept busy and mobile with housework.

17 - 23 July

Mon: morning workout. Track training in the evening - a pacing session which I find good for practicing my pacing by feel rather than relying on the watch. 6km 38mins

Tues: morning and evening walk.

Weds: morning workout. Track training - a speed session of 90sec on/off. A do-able session, jogged my recoveries rather than walking them to get a bit of distance in. 6km 38mins

Thurs: rest day, up to my eyes in work.

Fri: I don't work Friday afternoons and as it was promised wet in the afternoon I swapped my run and my workout. So out for a short 3km run that morning. Home from work in the afternoon and did my workout. Just as I was finishing a friend messaged to see if I fancied an easy run which I jumped at! However we were too busy chatting and blowing off steam that we ended up running 5km in 29mins.

Sat: rest day. Was time keeper at parkrun.

Sun: the long run and a milestone 21km in the plan - half the distance, the tune of Bon Jovi in my head "Oh we're half way there, oooh-oh, livin' on a prayer!!" A really nice group gathered for the run and good mix of abilities. Started out nice and slow, glad to be in a singlet as it was humid out. As the miles went on, the group stretched out and people were pairing off. Myself and another girl got into a good stride and had to try and pull back the pace a few times. The miles flew by - took first gel at 9km and next one at 16km. Few hills on the route to test us a bit. I felt comfortable enough throughout the run, at the end I could have kept going which I'll take as a good sign. Half marathon distance ran in 2:18 which I'm pleasantly surprised with - my pb is 2:08 and we walked while taking on gels.

I will say my body does feel a bit tired after that week. I've been nursing a blister on my right instep but a compeed plaster and bandaging up my foot - it's grand on my runs. Also my right quad has been a bit niggley since Fri, more so when I'm going down the stairs but was fine when running. But overall I'm happy with how my training is going and enjoying the Novice thread here.

24 - 30 July

Mon: Didn't get up for my morning workout, I was pretty tired after running half marathon distance the previous day. Went to the track for training that evening. I took the normal interval session easy for a change, the legs felt tired and the right quad was niggly. 6km 39mins

Tues: morning workout. Late evening walk, probably a bit too late as it was getting dark and I was on my own.

Weds: again skipped my morning workout, I was up late the previous night doing taxi. Track running this evening and this time at the faster session. It was increasing paced intervals. For the first half of the session I found it difficult to get my pace by feel as the crowd there were so much faster. In the second half of the session I looked at my watch more and got better at pulling back to the correct pace and trying not to feel as conscious when I was being lapped. With warm up and cool down covered 8.25km in 50mins. Was buzzin' after it though!

Thurs: rest day - badly needed!

Fri: An active afternoon. Did the workout I should have done on Weds. Then later in the evening I joined a friend for a few miles who was doing his long run on his own that evening and kept him company for his last few miles.

Sat: rest day. marshal at parkrun. With this marathon training looks like I'll be helping out at parkrun a lot more in the coming months, I don't trust myself not to run too fast the day before these ever increasing long runs.

Sun: Long run 24km. I woke up nervous of this run, my longest distance so far this year, and extra 3km on top of the previous week. Started out well, kept the pace lovely and easy although from about 5km onwards the group pace had crept up to 6:30mins/km and I was to the back of the group. Stopped at the water stop at 11km and took my first gel then. The group got a lot smaller as those doing a shorter run went a different direction. But there was still a nice bunch of us that I had to keep pulling back a little with the pace! But it was still a grand run, felt like I was working a little more than the previous week. Took another gel at 18.5km. The rain was starting to come down now and I didn't pass much heed until we turned at around 21km and we headed back in the direction of the car. Felt like my face was soaked and my eyes were stinging. Wasn't really enjoying it now at this stage, just wanted to be finished. We ended up picking up the pace for the last 2km, just wanted to be done out of the rain and also it did feel kind of satisfactory to be able to pick up the pace when I felt tired and fed up. 24km 2:39 av pace 6:39min/km. Highest mileage week to date 43.35km

31 July - 06 Aug

Mon: track session of 800s. Tough but good. Last rep coach said to do 1 x 400m and managed to give it a good push. 5.75km in 41mins incl rest periods

Tues: online workout

Weds: track session 3 x 10mins. Jeez they were long 10 mins. The gloss of training with the more advanced group is wearing off and I'm starting to feel out of my depth. 8.35km 55mins incl rest

Thurs: online workout

Fri: Was away for the night so went for a 5km around the hotel grounds for a bit of exploring and change of scenery. Did an online workout when I got home as I'd an hour free.

Sat: rest day. Was run director at parkrun so got a bit of a walk doing course check. Also went out for another walk that evening to stretch out the legs ahead of the 10 mile race the next day.

Sun: Kilbeggan 10 mile - 1:38

Feels strange - it was a race but I didn't race it and I feel I have to justify that to everyone! There was such a good crowd locally to me doing it so was looking forward to it. Time flew by when we landed, chatting, that I couldn't believe when it was already time to start. Started out fine, trying to keep the pace back and let others go on. A friend of a friend was running her first 10 mile so we said we would run it with her. So I was checking in with the pace every so often - it seems to be staying about 6:00-6:10 min/km. Another 1 or 2 people latched onto us and next thing I knew I was pacing a little group! Not gonna lie - it gave me a little boost of confidence and a sense of responsibility to manage their pace, keep them going, update on distance. A hilly route and it was getting quite warm out. Water station at 10km where I slowed down to a walk - I'd to refill my water bottle and take a gel - I haven't mastered taking a gel running yet and I was trying out a different one (it worked out fine). Caught back up to my little bunch again. Over the next couple of kms the group was spreading out and the girl I was with was struggling a bit. At 8 miles she told me to head on, that she needed the last few kms herself. So I picked up a little, didn't feel like tearing off. Last mile starts with an tough uphill and I endeavoured to run up the whole way and once I got over that I picked up the pace bit by bit to finish up strong with a push. Happy with that run.

Distance for the week 35.25km

• Advertisement

07 - 13 Aug

Mon: bank holiday so no track session. Booked into an evening circuits class for a change. Decided to go over early for a recovery run around that neighbourhood - ended up being hillier and tougher than I expected. 7km 47mins

Tues: Away for the day and when I got home a friend contacted me to see if I wanted to go for a run. I agreed once we took it easy. We started out easy but gradually the pace picked up over each km. 5km 31.5mins

Weds: track session. found I really struggled with this. Legs were so tired, felt like I was running so slow. Session was 3 x 9 mins with a pick up in pace for the last 2 mins of each set. No pick up from me, just trying to keep going. 6.7km 45 mins incl rest

Thurs: rest day - needed

Fri: More rest. Short walk around Athlone to try out the new bridge!

Sat: Moved my long run day to Sat. 26km was the plan. Friend mapped out a route from her house - 10 mile loop and 10km loop - back to her house in between to replenish water, loo if needed. Lovely to have a change of scenery with these roads and grand and quiet, country roads with a few corners and ups and downs - great training! The kms ticked along trying to keep the pace back a bit. Walked at 13km for the first gel. At 10 miles we met with another friend and it was nice to have some fresh legs and some additional company. Slightly tougher route. Took my second gel around 20/21km and managed to take it while jogging. Not gonna lie I'm finding it tougher one I've passed half marathon distance, the last few km the body was feeling tired. When we finally finished the hips felt sore when we stopped and took a bit of waddling to get moving. But at least we only have 10 miles left to go! 26km 2hr48mins, av pace 6:28min/km

Sun: short walk to stretch out the legs

Distance for the week 44.7km

14 - 20 Aug

Mon: Club training. Trail running for a change. managed 3 loops (approx 1.5km each). Plus warm up and cool down 6.5km in 40mins. Felt tough going.

Tues: rest

Weds: track training with the club. Was back with my original group and I found it enjoyable. Session was 6 x 4mins with 2min recovery. Was to be at 10 mile pace but found as I got into the session that I was going more 10km pace or slightly faster. Probably should have eased up the pace but it was manageable and enjoyable. Did another 2km after the session to get the distance up to 5 miles. 8.1km 56:22 including recoveries.

Thurs: rest from running - badly needed. Did an online workout.

Fri: Rest again. Had hoped to do a workout but had to work late.

Sat: Long run 28km. Was running with a friend who was just getting over a sickness so I was very mindful of her running. Even though we'd 28km on the plan, I said to her if she wanted to do a shorter run that was no problem. Kept checking in with her along the run and how she was feeling - she was doing great. The miles just flew by - the first 10km of the route I'd never run before so it was nice to have a change of scenery. The second part of the run, a 10 mile loop I had done before and knew it was could be tough enough but really happy with how the run went. Have found the last few weeks that once I go over 21km I'm struggling. But it didn't feel as bad this week, partly because I was conscious of my running buddy and how she was doing (she was brilliant btw). She was really helpful and supportive in those last few miles, she's done 10+ marathons and I ended the run feeling capable of doing more if I really had to.

Sun: Went for a walk to stretch out the hips and legs, nice afternoon out. Did an online workout after.

Distance for the week 42.5km

21 - 28 Aug

Mon: Was training with the earlier club group. More of a tempo session which is better after the long run weekend. 4 x 6mins. I did notice that my pace was a little faster than what it should have been but it was good. Few 100m sprints at the end to fire up the legs. 7.3km in 46mins incl warm up and cool down and rest

Tues: rest

Weds: Later track session. Was early so got a good long warm up beforehand. Speed session and intervals of 5 x 4mins at 5km pace. 1st interval was on pace, 2nd one I wasn't looking at the watch but it was quicker, 3rd interval I got into my head seeing everyone else go one must faster than me and I struggled on it. 4th interval I got my head back in the game and had a good fast one. Last one and one of the other girls ran it with me so nice to feel a bit supported. Total 8.5km incl warm up and cool down 59mins

Thurs: rest

Fri: Plan said 30 mins easy. Went out early morning, easy pace didn't feel as easy as it should. 4.7kms in 30 mins.

Sat: Long run 21km. It's mad that I'm now at the stage of training where I now think 21km is a short long run! Had planned out a route locally but running some of the roads the opposite direction than I usually go - it changed it up a bit. Had lovely company for the run - one of the people is getting back into running and hadn't done anything more than 10 miles in recent months so we kept the pace nice and relaxed and chatty. Have to say I quite enjoyed that run and could have kept going after. Once again hips were a bit stiff and sore later in the day - I'm either going to have to start taking epsom salt baths after (and remember to switch on the immersion) or start doing some proper stretching.

Sun: Little bit of a walk in the afternoon. Did an online workout that evening.

Distance for the week 41.6km

29 Aug - 03 Sept

Mon: 2 mile morning walk. Track training that evening. Interesting session of 400s and take your own recovery as needed. It's nice when you feel like you are in charge of your own session and one like this you don't feel as aware of how ahead/behind you are of the rest of the field, you are just concentrating on your own session. As few 200s after that, same instructions. Warm up, drills, session, cool down 6.2km in 53mins.

Tues: online workout

Weds: Missed track session

Thurs: rest. Walk

Fri: Walk and online workout. A bit more walking this week than usual. A lot on my mind at the moment and walking helps calm me down a bit and doesn't require as much effort as running.

Sat: Expected to volunteer at parkrun but they had a full rota so I decided to walk as I wasn't dressed to run. Got a lovely brisk walk around in 45mins.

Sun: Long run - the big one 32km/20 miles. I hadn't been dreading it as much after a good 28km 2 weeks ago. But this week was not good prep - was up the walls and out the door with a lot of things going on so I knew when I got up that morning that I hadn't fuelled correctly during the week, hadn't been drinking enough water, sleep was poor, stress levels high. - I was afraid this was going to be a very long torturous run. First few km and the legs were already tired. We then met with a few others who were doing a shorter distance and I think I settled down a bit then. A few new back roads to explore which I enjoy. The kms did fly by, the group was relaxed, supportive, we were all in the same boat. Took a gel around 10km, 20km and 27km. Did feel the last 5km tough and it had me thinking how would we go another 10km after this!

Distance for the week 38.4km

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on that 20miler. They are never easy but it's great to have it ticked off! I hope you have a better week this week x

• Advertisement

04 - 10 Sept

Mon: Track training. Was tempted to miss this one or go easy after the 20 mile the previous day but we had a guest coach and I was looking forward to his session. 3 x 9 mins - 6 mins at half marathon pace and 3 mins at 5k pace. I was so tempted not to do the last set, didn't think I had it in me but I did, great encouragement on the track this evening. Warm up, cool down etc 7km in 47mins.

Tues: Out for a walk as I would be in the car all day, legs needed a good stretch out.

Weds: Track training with a pyramid session - feels like ages since I did one of these! Mins 0f 2, 4, 6, 8 and back down again. Legs felt a bit tired but glad to get the session done. 7.6km 51 mins incl warm up and cool down.

Thurs: rest day

Fri: Glorious weather for this time of year. Out for an early morning walk.

Sat: parkrun - yes I actually ran! I haven't run at parkrun in ages. I clashes with my marathon training long runs and as the runs have been getting longer, I've been trying to rest on Sat so I've been volunteering a lot more. The local one wasn't short on helpers again this week so I arrived dressed to run! It was a very warm one and I was glad of the tree cover. Took it handy enough, chatting to a clubmate as we went around. Time 32:12

Sun: Well! The plan said rest weekend and what did I do - ran both days over the weekend! As a few of the local runners are following different plans there were still quite a few doing their long run, and a few like me running even though it was supposed to be rest. I said I would join them and do anything between 10km and 10 miles. Ended up doing 12.5km which was quite enough for me. We set off early due to the heat and it was nice to do a shorter run for a change and to be finished early, and also to run as far as I wanted, not to have a particular distance hanging over me. I did find it tough going with the heat and the pace was quicker than usual as we were with some faster runners. 12.6km 1hr 20mins. av pace 6:22/km Home workout done later in the day while dinner was in the oven, found it really tough going.

Distance for the week 32.25km

Edit to add: I'm over the 1,000km mark already for this year!

Post edited by Sunny Dayz on

11 - 17 Sept

Mon: Track training. Was ready for training a lot earlier than usual so I headed in early to get a bit of a longer warm up done - 2.8km. A progression session going from half pace up to 5km pace. Was probably running faster paces than the prescribed but I finding it difficult to run at my own paces with the faster group. In one way I guess I should be training to progress and run faster but at the moment I want to make it to the start (and finish) of Dublin marathon. Covered 7.2km in the session with the track warm up and did enough cool down to bring me up to 10km for the evening in just over an hour.

Tues: rest day.

Weds: Track training tempo session with the Fit4Life crew - felt more within my comfort zone. Still think I put in a good effort. 8.3km in 55mins incl rest periods, warm up and cool down.

Thurs: Evening workout

Fri: Short morning workout. Was meant to go for 30 mins easy run beforehand but it was so dark and rainy. But after the workout it had brightened up so I went out for my run then, I was well warmed up. Nice 30mins down the town and back - 4.55mins 6:36km av pace.

Sat: 21km on the plan for this weekend. As my boys were doing parkrun and going for breakfast after, and it actually lined up well with the local group running for a 7:30am start. I looked at the route planned and saw that I could get most of my 10 miles done with the group, peel off back to the carpark and nip over to parkrun for the last 5km. It kept things interesting and some of the 10 mile route was along a couple of roads I hadn't run before. My 10 miles, well 16.5km was done in 1hr44 - av pace 6:20km. I had planned a gel at 10km and just before parkrun but at 10km I felt fine and didn't take it, but by 12km I found myself lagging a little, took on a gel then and wasn't a bother after. Felt strange taking a gel as I walked to the start of parkrun! Parkrun done in 31:12 - av pace 6:15km. My long run overall was a faster pace than what I probably should be running but it felt fine and manageable, think the cooler air helped.

Sun: rest day

Distance for the week 44.5km

18 - 24 Sept

Mon: Club training. Interesting training session: 2 laps at 10k pace, 1 lap at 5k pace and half a lap fast. Break and then we did it again. I don't know where my head was at for the second round - my paces seemed to be more half and then 10k respectively. Few sets of strides and a cool down. 8km in 56 mins incl warm up and rest periods.

Tues: rest day

Weds: Track again. Attending both sessions each week is really helping with the marathon training, there's less thinking about it, just rock up to the track and do as you're told!! A good olde pyramid tonight, these are good for managing your pacing. My running buddy wasn't there and with the half marathon coming up at the weekend, I made sure to stick to the prescribed paces of each interval. I did open it up for the last 2min interval to blow off a bit of steam! 8.3km in 54mins incl warm up.

Thurs: rest day

Fri: workout

Sat: rest day. Was run director at parkrun.

Sun: Athlone half marathon! 21.2km in 2:09. Training plan had us down for 28km this weekend. So I decided 7km beforehand and then do the half marathon. A clubmate had suggested to do the first half the race at marathon pace (mp I'm thinking 6:25/km) and the second half at half marathon pace (hmp about 6:00/km). Interested - I said I'd give it a go. The 7km was a lovely warm up. Kept the pace at mp, and by the time we got within 750m of the race hq we were meeting plenty of others out warming up. Quick change of top, toilet break, took a gel and over to race start for photos, chats and hugs! Great turn out for the race and a good start. Once we got to the greenway after 2km settled down into MP. Kept this nice and steady until about the 8km mark. Time for another gel and were meeting people coming back the way then. Looking now at my strava my pace went to about halfway between MP and HMP, around 6:10/6:15/km until the turning point. Back the way then and up to HMP. It felt great to have been able to pick up the pace, putting out of my head that I'd 7km done beforehand. Ticking off each person ahead one by one. A little bit strange to be passing others struggling while I felt good. Tried to give a few words of encouragement to people as we passed. It did feel like a bit of a drag heading back the way. My kms were just under 6:00/km, some were closer to 5:50/km. Back to the exit to the greenway and any little climb felt like an effort. The final stretch was about 1.75 laps of the track which I really enjoyed. Plenty of cheering and support. Finished a few minutes before the rain. Was really happy with how I ran this. I couldn't believe that I had run 28km at those paces and felt good. And apparently it was my 3rd fastest half marathon. The race has made me wonder if 2:05 or closer to 2 would be possible for a half marathon? Lookit - for now I need to focus on the marathon next month and how that's going to go.....

Distance for the week 44.5km, same as last week.

25 Sept - 01 Oct

Mon: Early morning walk to stretch out the legs after the half marathon yesterday, quads quite sore. Track training that evening - was hoping that it would ease the legs out and in fairness they weren't too bad once we got going. 3 x 9mins so a nice uncomplicated session. First set I could feel me fading already. 2nd set stomach felt dodgy. Last set and just brought the pace right back and felt very tired. 5.5kms 35 mins.

Tues: Workout that morning and short walk in the evening.

Weds: Early morning walk before the storm arrived. Had hoped it would be cleared by later afternoon but it wasn't so track training was cancelled. Felt a little panicked as I don't want to be missing any sessions or loosing any marathon miles this late into the training plan now.

Thurs: Got out for 6km myself. Felt like a real effort for the pace I was doing. Feels like I'd taken a load of steps back. I think the last km was the only km that felt ok. 6km 46mins

Fri: Rest day

Sat: Another rest day. Short walk that morning.

Sun: Had switched around 2 weeks of my training plan. This weekend was to be 34km but as I knew I'd be away and so I swapped it for the following week's run - 21km. This I could just about manage on my own. I mapped out 2 x 5km loops nearby which run together would give a figure of 8, then I would run this twice. Started off and even though I know these routes, and knew the first 2/2.5km is a good bit of uphill work, I thought with fresh legs I would be fine. Nope - I stopped and paused the watch a few times, held back the tears, the marathon training podcast with Sonia O'Sullivan was not inspiring me, if anything I was feeling like crap, demotivated and thoughts of "I can't do this marathon" creeping in. When I got past the worst of the climbs I switched the listen to the silliness of My Therapist Ghosted Me as a distraction. Just plodded along, tried to appreciate the nice views I now had and the downhill. I started on the first round of my second loop and the second half of this went along by the shore. And then I seemed to settle down. I stopped panicking, stopped doubting myself, relaxed and inhaled the waterside breeze. I decided to change my route - I wasn't doing that first loop again and those hills - decided I would carry along out the shore road and turn back to bring me to up to 10 miles at that stage and a 5km to go. I'd never ran out this road before - it's one lane each way with no hard shoulder, just a grass verge but I'd sussed that the roads seemed quiet enough at that hour of the morning and I felt safe and the traffic (bar one) all gave me plenty of room. Back into the village for my final loop which I actually did the opposite direction to the first time around. I did feel good after it was done but I felt very slow throughout the run. Took 2 gels and drank most of my small water bottle. There was a high tide that morning so I went down to the pier after and braced the cold water on my legs.

Distance for the week 32.6km

02 - 08 Oct

Mon: Track training. Felt like a nice session, not to difficult or fast. 5 x 4mins with 3 off. My 4min intervals on reflection were fast but they didn't feel too bad, it's a nice feeling! Warm up, cool down and rest intervals total 7km 48mins

Tues: Feeling tired to got 2 short walks in.

Weds: Track training, I was early so got 2km warm up. Normally I like pyramid sessions, it's good for practicing pacing and making sure you have bit left in the tank to the latter faster intervals. But it felt like a long, fast session with 2 x 8 min intervals at the peak of the session. With the warm up, cool down and rest intervals I covered 10.5km in 1hr8 mins, longer than usual for me for a weekday session. At least I was planning to rest from running for the remainder of the week.

Thurs: Workout

Fri: 5km walk

Sat: Volunteer at parkrun.

Sun: Tarmonbarry 3/4 marathon 3:29:45

My first time to run a 3/4 marathon event. Was nervous about this - this was the last big long run before the marathon, my dress rehearsal. How I felt before during and after this would determine my mindset going into the marathon. Myself and the girls car pooled which was great for the early morning start and pre race chats. We parked up early, got our tshirts and numbers and went for a 2.5km easy run. A lovely village to run around and a nice morning for it. It was good not to be rushing about and we were very much ready to go at 9:30 sharp. Started off easy, and so did everyone else around us which was brilliant - it's so easy at the start for everyone to fly off and you get brought along with the crowd. Lots of groups of people running and sticking together which made it a little difficult to overtake on the narrow country roads, I ended up getting boxed in for a km. But it was great, the atmosphere was so relaxed, a lot of checking watches, words of "bring the pace back", "slow down" etc, everyone was very conscious of the fact that this was not race day. Encountered the first proper hill around 18km, it just kept going and going, a km long! We got a welcome repreve on the main road downhill, lovely breeze. Turned off this road, back onto country roads and around a sharp right hander and the road rose and rose before us! A few youngsters with a table of ice cold water was very much appreciated and great encouragement from them - credit to them. We each put the head down, said nothing and made our own way up the hill, one foot infront of the other, arms pumping, passing people out and we regrouped when we got to the top. Good feeling. Another fuel station packed with water, jellies, bread, coke. Grabbed a cup of coke and I think I drank too much too quickly - mental note to only take 1 mouthful going forward. Stomach settled after a minute or 2. We were now over the half marathon stage. We carried on putting one foot infront of the other, going in and out of chats, the crowds around us had thinned out. Just ticking off the mile markers even though I run in kms. Not gonna lie around 16 miles I was nearly getting fed up of running. But kept going and our group was slowly and gradually starting to separate a bit. I think we all knew we got this to be fair. Was very happy to see the fuel station just before 18 miles, I was almost out of water. Lovely eager teens at it helping me refill my water and I paused to have a mouthful of coke and grab a few jellybabies. This was it now, on the home straight, only a few kms to go. Just tried to wile away the miles as quick as I could, it was great when there was a mile to go, then a km to go. Then I was on the outskirts of the village, few locals and finishers out to support and I felt the pace picking up, looking at the watch I should just hit on 3:30 for the finish which is exactly what I wanted. Around the last corner, finish line in sight I gave the only real push of the whole race - but more of a 'pace pick up' rather than an 'empty the tank' if you know what I mean. It was great to look back and see that I could pick up the pace after running 31.5kms (plus another2.5km beforehand). Was grateful of a cuppa and homemade scone after the race. Stood outside, few stretches while chatting fellow clubmates who had run the half. Felt ok after, bit achy and stiff. But happy with how it went and countdown is now on for DCM2023!!!

Distance for the week 51.75km

Well done on the 3/4. I did the 1/2 and to be honest i was feeling sorry for anyone doing the 3/4 with all those hills coming in the 2nd half and the sun beating down but it sounds like you handled all of that really really well and even getting those extra few ks in as well. That should be a big confidence boost now for the big day, fair play! Recover well this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well done, great controlled running. That hill after main road is truly horrible, you will bound up heartbreak hill in DCM no bother in comparison. You would have been out in the worst of the heat too which I can't imagine will be an issue at the end of the month.

Glad you enjoyed what were probably my wife's scones!!

The spread after was super. And the ladies at registration were so friendly. I registered late so didn't get a tshirt but when I went in to the hall afterwards she had one left over kept for me. Kudos to all involved @Comic Book Guy.

And I definitely agree - heart break hll isn't a patch on that hill.

Thanks a mil. Well done to you in the half. To be fair, the extra bit of route we had didn't have any hills, just narrow country bog roads. So, provided we went out easy, we weren't spent before the hills.

Did you run it? Aww scones were fab, little bit of flaked almond on the top. That with a cuppa was perfect for after.

It was a well organised event and marshalls along the route were so supportive. Love the tshirt, it will be great for running in the winter.

09 - 15 Oct

Mon: Walk that morning to loosen out the legs. No aches or pains, fine going down the stairs. Gave track training a miss after the 3/4 marathon the day before. Met with a few friends for an easy run and a post mortem of the weekend's running. 4.5km 31 mins.

Tues: Morning walk and an evening workout at home.

Weds: Knew I was going to be missing track training as I'd booked a physio appointment that evening for a sports massage. Had planned to get up early on Weds and do my run, couldn't get out of the bed and thought it'll be grand, go out Thurs morn instead. Then when I read up about sports massages, they recommended no strenuous exercise for 24hours after. So I broke down my planned 8km into 2 runs - 4km at lunchtime 25mins and another 4km straight after work 25mins. I was glad I made to effort to fit in my run, it's too late in the plan know to say "ah feck it, be alright" - stick with the plan!! A mile walk to the physio as I've no car at the moment and mile walk home again after.

Thurs: A walk in the morning and at lunchtime to get some steps in and fresh air on a rest day.

Fri: Early morning workout, a good one.

Sat: 16km on the plan, it felt so short. There's a lovely 10 mile loop from my house and mostly avoids and loops around the town, with greenway and quiet country roads. Met with a few of the girls and set off. Pace was a bit quicker than I would have liked but hardly noticed while we ran, it felt good and we were chatting away. 1hr 37mins.

Sun: rest day. Gorgeous afternoon so out for a long walk.

Distance for the week 28.5km

• Advertisement

16 - 22 Oct

Mon: Track training. Was early and got about 3km warm up with some of the girls from the earlier session as they were doing their cool down. A good meaty session of 2min intervals which for me is around 1 lap of track. Good paces for these, a lot of 4:xx min/km splits which is great to see! Total run 9km in the hour with recoveries.

Tues: Rest

Weds: Didn't go to training, wasn't going to risk it with the weather. I was climbing the walls a bit so when there was a break in the rain, I went out for a little walk.

Thurs: Met with a friend for an early morning run to make up for skipping the track session. I know the work is done but I don't want to be skipping runs in the last couple of weeks. 5 miles up and down the town where there are street lights and sure footing, not leaving anything to chance!

Fri: Had some spare time on Fri eve waiting for himself so I went for a 5km walk with a change of scenery.

Sat: A bit off plan but I ran a parkrun. Tullamore were celebrating their 100 event and when our local parkrun had a full roster of volunteers at 9:30pm on Fri night we decided we would tip over that far for their event. I was warned - wrap up and go slow! It was kinda hard to hold back but I made sure my husband was well ahead of me! It's kinda mad that the pace it was an effort to keep slow enough was, in the past, the pace that was often 5km race pace for me! 5km in 32:25. Plus 1.5km warm up in 11mins. Coat and hat put on straight away at the finish. When I got home and still had my sports clothes on I did an online workout. Good core work and kept the weights light.

Sun: The last weekend group run. 10km on the plan. Quiet roads and then onto the greenway - defo the best and safest option as we all more or less stuck together and it was all chat. A stop on the bridge just after 5km for a photo op and back the way. Ended up at 11km in 1:08. Tea and nibbles at the end. It was a bit mad to think that same time next week I'd be running a marathon. 😁

Distance for the week 34.5km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hey, haven't been posting much in training logs but I have been keeping an eye on your updates here and in the mentored thread. Hope you have a fantastic first marathon!! the hard work is done, you deserve a good day out! Enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The very best of luck on Sunday! Looking forward to hearing all about it - enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

The very best of luck to you on Sunday; all the hard work is done. Enjoy every minute of it😊

Massive congratulations on a super training block! All that's left is the victory lap! I hope it all goes well for you now, it's a real achievement to line up, be proud of how far you've come and back yourself when the going gets tough, the training is done, all that's left it to go out there and smash it, believe in yourself ❤️

Dublin Marathon 2023 - official time 4:38:23

I've been awake early this morning, my body is aching so while I wait for the immersion to heat the water I'll write this while things are fresh in my head.

I felt as prepared as I could have been for this. I'd followed the training plan as set out by the club almost to a T, I'd a good 3/4 marathon. Saturday was probably busier than it should have been - volunteer at parkrun, out for breakfast after, went visiting, got all my bits for the event organised, different bags packed and then relaxed in the evening with a cheesy netflix romcom. Woke about 4am, dozed on and off for an hour, then scrolled on facebook for half an hour waiting for my 5:30am alarm. Was in the car park just after 8am, it was a struggle to eat my weetabix then (I'd had a slice of white toast before leaving the house and drank tea on the way up). Walked to bag drop and then wandered to our wave starts. Spent a while queueing for the loos had a good stroll to our wave. It was nice not to be rushing and also we weren't too early into our wave to be hanging about. We positioned ourselves just infront of the 4:40 pacer balloons. Sorry - the "we" is myself and a friend M - watching the marathon last year at different places on the phone over and back to each other we decided oh yeah next year that will be us! The plan was (haha, plan!!) run infront of 4:40 pacers for the first half so as not to run away with ourselves and then pick it up in the second half. Haha!!

Well we were off and to be fair we kept it fairly easy for the first few km - it was crowded so no point in weaving about, just go with the flow. It eased out a bit after about 1.5 miles. My husband and son were at the 2 mile mark tucking into breakfast rolls! Through 5km in 33 mins - bang on plan. I actually found it quite warm for the first few km but the showers later on weren't long about cooling me off! Carried on into Pheonix Park, pace picked up a little but brought it back. First gel at 5 mile. Somewhere along our 10th km one of the 4:40 pacers caught up with us and I think we panicked a bit and picked up the pace. Through 10km in 1:05 - 2 mins ahead of planned. We seemed to keep the pace up a bit for the next few miles. I hear about the support at Castleknock and Myos but nothing could prepare you for it!! With our names in big letters on our bibs we felt like superstars and powered up the hill! The loop back into the Park felt lovely - there was something calm and serene about it. More great support on Chapelizod. Through 10 mile in 1:43, again 2 mins ahead but that's ok. Another gel. Tackled that climb from under the main road at Ballyfermot and I think it was after this a fellow Boards Novice B sided up beside me and we ran together for a little bit. Was looking forward to Kilmainham as that's where hubbie and kiddo would be - the crowds there - they were nearly coming out to meet you on the roads! After that it seemed to calm down a bit and we caught up with a club mate and had a check in an chat. Could fairly feel the quads aching by then - in hindsight it would have been the hilly first half.

Speaking of half we were through halfway in 2:15 which was still 2 mins ahead which we were happy with. Not gonna lie after half way it started to feel harder than I was expecting, little panic internally. We had planned to gradually pick it up after half way but somehow I couldn't seem to find that next gear up. Plus I needed to use the loo and the next 2 miles were a blur just holding out! Gel at 15 mile. Relief when the pitstop was made at 16 mile! Through Rathgar admiring the fancy houses and cars. At 30km we caught up with a very good running buddy of ours who was walking so we joined her for a bit, I thought it would be relief to walk but I couldn't seem to walk the fast-ish pace I normally do, felt more like a waddle! We moved on and got going again for another little bit and up the hill at 20 mile with the promise that we would walk when we got to the top and take another gel. 20 miles in 3:30, good but now 4 mins behind planned and I started thinking ok 4:35 is still good. Shortly after I seen my sister in Milltown and got the biggest hug and was a tad emotional. Found mile 21 tough, few walking breaks but they didn't really help, it was just easier to run a little slower. Clonskeagh and Roebuck were much longer than I remembered from my UCD days 20 years ago, Fosters Avenue seemed like miles. And the 4:40 balloons were passing us. Down Fosters Av and we managed to put the boot down a bit to pass the 4:40s but it wasn't easy. It was then it dawned on me that I was actually going to finish a marathon. Had planned to take my last gel at mile 23 but didn't fancy it, it took a couple of packs of Haribo (which aren't easy to open when you are running a marathon and it's been raining on and off). I could see M was stronger and told her to go on. One quick breather just before Nutley where I was opening the haribos and a spectator told me to go on and it was me a little push.

Rounding the corner into Merrion and I was on familiar turf from the Women's mini marathon. I just had to keep going, 3km to go, it can be done, just get it over with. 2 clubmates were at the 25 mile marker and gave me the biggest cheer and hugs. And at 41km the husband and son were there, son had a bottle of coke ready which was just a godsend. Hugs and kisses and I was away again. Passing the 800m to go sign and it felt like the finish line was still so far away. On to the purple carpet and just try to pass as many as possible and smile for the finish! My friend M had finished 1 min ahead of me, she was just fantastic throughout. A waddle along getting medal and tshirt and over to bag drop. Unfortunately my clothes in the bag were soaked apart from 1 long sleeve and my jacket. It took a while to find husband and son at the meeting point, such was the crowds and noise. Over to McGrattans to freshen up and catch up with all my clubmates. I did a loop to try and find some Boardsies but sure I didn't know what anyone looked like!

I just want to shout out my husband. When I was suitable hydrating in McGrattans 😉 he went back to the finish to cheer a friend of ours over the line 6+hour runner. On the way he came across a finisher who seemed disorientated, and looked after him, got him medical attention and contacted his partner.

So will I run next year??! Honestly I don't know. The support in training was great, and the atmosphere along the race route was unreal. But it was hard work, it wasn't easy and I can't understand how people can run so many of these. I think I'll throw my hat back into the ring and make a decision next summer assuming they will have another transfer window. Far too early asking people to sign up when they've just crossed the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats marathon runner!!! That's a fantastic result! Hope the legs are not too bad today :).

Massive congratulations, you did brilliant, you are part of the exclusive marathon runner club!

I hope you're still buzzing today and not too sore. Fair dues to your husband also, people like him make all the difference in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats, that's brilliant going for your first marathon.

Kudos to your husband as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Big huge congratulations, marathon runner😊

Advertisement