Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey skies give way to......

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's been a quiet few weeks running-wise.

30 Oct- 05 Nov

Decided to take this week off after the marathon. By Weds I was feeling less sore. Work panic with a deadline starting to set in. Had a family thing at the weekend so no pressure to pack my runners. I didn't avail of the guaranteed entry for next year's marathon - I just couldn't think about another one when my body was so sore. By the end of the week I was coming around to the idea and decided to enter the lottery.

06 - 12 Nov

Really up to my eyes in work. I'd have liked to have started getting out for little runs but work. Managed to get out for parkrun - felt like I was climbing the walls at that stage! First km or 2 felt long and tough going. But by half way I was getting into it and finished 29:27. Also I had watched the NYC marathon and decided to enter the lottery for the half which is on next March. I know I won't get drawn but at least until the end of the month I can dream!

13 - 19 Nov

Work work work. Fairly tired by the end of week but over the worst of it now work-wise. Out for parkrun again Sat morn. Volunteered for pre-event course check so 2km warm up done. Parkrun done in 30:01 - the ground was soft and mucky in spots and I had to watch my footing - new trail runners should be arriving this week. After parkrun myself and himself went for a little run - 2.5km. Then out on Sun morn with a few girls for a tentative "first run" for us. We probably should have done 5 miles instead of 10km, it didn't feel the easiest. But good to get back out there again and back into the swing of things.

20 - 26 Nov

First training session back on the track for me. A 5 min tempo and then into sets of 90seconds on/off. Poor legs didn't know what hit them! 7.5km in 56mins incl recoveries. A walk on Tues and Thurs and first night social dancing on the Weds night. Fri I had another stressy work deadline and was finished a little later in the afternoon than I had hoped. I still went out for the run I had planned however, it got dark quickly and let me a little uneasy as the route I'd planned, they've put up lighting, but just haven't switched it on yet! 5km in 32mins. Was parkrun director on Sat morning. Little walk on Sat afternoon and short hungover walk on Sun afternoon.

27 Nov - 03 Dec

Mon night track session - alternating 5mins tempo with 2 mins fast. Found this tough but working. Feeling tough to get the pace up. 8.3km in 55mins incl recoveries. Tues walk. Weds social dancing, made more of an effort this time. Thurs - a workout - I haven't done one in about 5/6 weeks so I picked a beginners 30mins LesMils workout, wasn't too bad, good just to at least do something. Fri after work I got out for a run, this time before it started to get dark. 4km in 25:44, still not feeling any easier and still feeling slow. Sat morning I went to my first in person workout class in ages. And it wasn't as bad as I expected, I thought I would disgrace myself and not be able to lift a feather. But I enjoyed the energy of the circuit class and stuck with the lower weights. Afterwards over to parkrun and first outing for my new trail runners. Ground was frozen but safe to run on. Got my 5km done in 31:19 which wasn't too bad considering the conditions. Another Xmas night out so no run on Sun morn, head not too bad this time.

04 - 10 Dec

Mon night track session cancelled due to weather. Out for a short walk instead and did a workout at home. Another short walk on Tues. Track training got the go-ahead on Weds and we had a guest coach join us, always nice to have and changes things up a bit. A Pyramid session, which I normally enjoy, but just found there to be a fast crowd on the track that night and felt like I couldn't find another gear up. Rest days on Thurs and Fri due to an evening out and then getting the hair done so missed my new little Fri after work run. Sat morn went to a workout class before parkrun. But by the time I got to parkrun and changed I wasn't really in the humour for running and volunteered instead, I probably really should have ran! Sunday morn I hmm'd and haw'd over getting out for a run but ended up chilling in bed for a lazy morning. It's a little hard to find the motivation at this time of year and also my legs still feel tired, they should feel well rested and recovered at this stage.

On the plus side - I won an award with my local athletics club. Was quite surprised. I know in my heart I put in a lot of hard work this year, I really put the head down and focused on the marathon training, I just hadn't realised that other people noticed and it is nice to get some recognition for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congratulations on the award! You are listening to your body which is definitely the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congratulations on the award. Lovely to get recognition. Great year for you and that award was much deserved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Aw well done on the award, it's brilliant when you put in so much hard work & it's recognised by others too🤗

Time to get this log back up and running (har-har) again!!

11 - 17 Dec

Felt a little out of depth the previous week at training so I decided to go to the earlier running group and it was lovely and relaxed. I felt more at ease and gave me a bit of a confidence boost. Monday evening's session was mix of 200s and 400s. Covered 7km with warm ups and cool downs plus I was early and did 3km before hand. Weds was a 5 x 5 mins set, covered 6.4km incl warm up and cool down. I had a great running week overall, was off work on Tues so got out for a rare daylight run and did 5k. Out again on Fri after work for another 5km before it got dark. Was away for Sat night so myself and himself went for a run before breakfast on Sun morn, battling again the Atlantic winds but richly rewarded with hotel breakfast. Otherwise I got 3 workouts done, 2 online and one in studio.

18 - 24 Dec

The week leading into Christmas was always going to be a bit hit or miss. Training training was more games for finishing up, fun relays etc. Think I covered about 4km. Finished up work on Thurs afternoon. Out for a run on Fri in daylight, did 3 x 1km at 5min/km - wanted to see if I could get a bit of speed work and push myself, also a target pace for an upcoming race. Covered 7.5km including warm up, cool down and recoveries. Long run on Sun with a big group meet up and cuppa after. 11km in 1:12, nice to break out over the 10km barrier. 1 workout done this week and a bit of walking.

25 - 31 Dec

Tried to grab a run when I got a bit of free time, difficult to do when the week was spent with either side of the family. St Stephen's day got 2 runs in. Local charity 5km, flat on the greenway but hadn't packed the right running wear. Ran in 26:44 which I was quite pleased with. Then over to the local GAA for the GOAL mile. I even switched my watch over to measure in miles as I wanted to give it a good shot. But I accidently pressed the lap button at some stage and messed it up. Stopped where I thought I had a mile run and turns out I was just short. Ah well. Thurs saw a race local to my inlaws - 3km where they start you off in intervals, slower go first then faster until the speedys start off last. Was really hoping for 15 mins (hence my test of 5 min/km). First km was good 4:49, 2nd km felt tough 5:14, last km 4:57 was trying not to blow up early but by the end of it I finished strong and felt I should have pushed sooner. Finished in 15:04 but my watched measured 3.02km so that 0.02 was actually my extra 4 sec. Race wasn't chip timed. It was tough, challenging but great. Missed parkrun on the Sat, weather wasn't good but got out in the afternoon for a waterside run, 7km. Out for a short snappy 3km run on Sun morn to round out the year at 1,450km. Had aimed for 1,610 km (1,000 miles) but happy enough with that distance.

New year, clean slate, new goals etc. I have to say 2023 was a brilliant running year for me. There are times when I can't believe I was running those times, paces, distances. But equally I felt I put the work in. This coming year I hope to focus on the half marathon distance, I have a big goal race with this distance, really ticking off a bucket list event for this so really want to give it my best shot.

01 - 07 Jan

Didn't get to start the year running. Sick (grown up) child meant forgoing the new year's day parkrun. Got out for my first run Weds eve straight after work for 5km and felt like a good run to start to the new year with. Easy run on Fri after work 4.2km. Parkrun on Sat morn. My resolution is to run more and volunteer less at parkrun this year! I'd gotten into the habit of stepping up to volunteer most weeks when the rota was short. Now I've plotted myself on the rota for the next 2 months for 3 weekends including run director 1 weekend and I hope to stick to it and not feel guilty. 3 workouts and a few walks. Forgo the Sunday long run - I had run and do a workout on both Fri and Sat and was pretty tired on Sun, not to mention the slippy conditions underfoot.

8 - 14 Jan

Mon: track was too slippy for training but the astroturf pitch was free so that made a boring change of scenery. Reducing intervals from 10 mins down to 2 mins. Trying to stay warm in between intervals. It was good just to be moving and catch up with a few. 7.3km in 50 mins incl warm up and intervals.

Tues: walk in the morning. Figured that my trail runners are good for walking in this weather, I like crisp cool weather for walking, not so much for running. Workout in the evening.

Weds: walk in the morning. Track was safe to run on in the evening. A good auld pyramid session. Still feeling a little rusty after the Christmas break but good to try and hone in on paces again. 8.2km in 52 mins incl warm up and cool down. I'm going to try and hit 5 mile / 8km in my track training sessions.

Thurs: Morning walk. Evening workout.

Fri: Evening run. Decided to do this over in the big town as I wanted to do my grocery shopping after so a change of scenery and route for my run. Trying to keep my Friday runs easy enough. 5km 31:59

Sat: Early morning in-person circuits class. Good workout. Usually I'm over to parkrun after and I had fully planned to. But a suggestion to go for coffee after with a few girls from the class was too good an opportunity to pass up. Parkrun will be there next week.

Sun: Supposed to get out for 7 mile run. But honestly couldn't bring myself to go out in the cold on my own for it, especially since we discovered late on Sat night that the heating wasn't working properly and spend Sun morn fixing it. Went out for a walk instead to get some air.

15 - 21 Jan

Mon: Bit more walking than usual as I had to bring the car to and from the garage for a service. Club training in the vening but not on the track as it was like an ice rink. We ended up running up and down the pitch in the middle of the track which isn't ideal for running, it's uneven and the grass is a bit long. It was bloody hard work. Got 5.3km covered in the session. Also I was in early and got 3km run around the local business park in 19mins.

Tues: Rest day. Body felt very tired. Went visiting friends for an overdue catchup.

Weds: Club training. Again the track was unsafe to use so laps around the pitch inside the track and then a novel location of the underground car park. GPS watch didn't like it. Tempo intervals just to have us moving. Something a bit different and the car park was quiet and fairly empty at that hour of the night. 7.4km covered in 56 mins

Thurs: Attended a different workout class for more of a social thing. Weights a lot lighter than I'm used to which was a good complaint. Still worked hard with what we had. Short walk after in minus 4 temps.

Fri: Up to my eyes in work so a short walk that evening for some air. No run.

Sat: Circuits class, found it tough, think I was just tired from a stressful few days of work. parkrun, no run. Himself was down to volunteer but last minute the RD couldn't make it, so himself stepped up to RD and I did his volunteer role. But at least this means that the original RD will take his spot in a few weeks and frees up our weekend. Got out for a run myself in the afternoon. 5.25km in 31:53.

Sun: Long run. I'd be putting off my long runs the past few weeks. In terms of group running, no one really my pace is doing long runs at the moment and it's a lot harder to get on your own. 7 miles or 13km on the plan. But a few people a little bit slower than me were going out for shorter runs so I went with them for a bit of company which was actually enjoyable. Did the last few miles myself and I could feel it getting wetter and windier in the last mile. But box ticked, plaster ripped off, I'm back to long runs again! 13.1km in 1hr 30 mins.

• Advertisement

22 - 28 Jan

Mon: Was up to my eyes in work so decided to go to the earlier track session so I could get home earlier and log back into work for a few hours. Nice to run with that gang for a change. Session was 3 x 9 mins with pick up for the last 2 mins of each set. Felt pretty happy with the running here. Covered 6km in the session. Afterwards I did 1km cool down with a friend who as her warm up for the later session.

Tues: Complete rest. busy with work.

Weds: Track session. 5 x 5mins. I did find myself fairly tired for the 3th rep but found a little extra in the tank for the last few. Covered 6.5km.

Thurs: Morning walk. No workout in the evening, inlaws visiting

Fri: Did an online workout, really enjoyed it. Went for an easy run after with himself, 4km with him and the last km myself.

Sat: Studio circuits class. Love how I really push myself in these classes. Volunteered at parkrun after. Had an hour to myself after so went for a 4km walk.

Sun: RACE : Charlie Curran 5 mile - 43:45 - PB!!

Splits: 5:25, 5:30, 5:20, 5:17, 5:24, 5:33, 5:38, 5:16, 5:3(0.1)

We usually do Raheny 5 mile but decided to head to Carlow for a change of scenery. For me this was the first test for my half marathon training. Arrived good and early, toilet visit and then I toddled off for warm up/ clock some miles. Did 3km at about 7min/km pace. It had me lovely and warmed up and able to decide on racewear (singlet). Another toilet visit and off to the start line. Positioned myself beside the 45min pacers - my plan was to start with them for the first km or 2 and then push on but keep them behind me. I think they were going slightly quicker on the way out because they were hot on my heels for the first few km and I started to worry that I wouldn't be able to push on, I wouldn't pb, what if I didn't get sub-45?!! But somehow I settled into the run. Couldn't believe when we started meeting people coming back that way already. Was grateful for the water station at I think 3km. At the turning point I realised that someone I knew of was maybe 5 runners ahead of me so made her my target. I think I started to lose the 45min pacers from then on. Passed my target after a km. Found myself starting to struggle a bit for the 6th and 7th km, legs felt tired and was starting to regret 3km warm up and circuits the day before. Please don't let the pacers and the people I've passed out catch up on me. Tried to look around for a distraction - a nice house, some animals, anything but it was a fairly non-descript route. Found myself a little panicked and took a very short walking break just before 7km. Got my breathing calmed down and set off again. Soon I could see the outskirts of town and knew we were nearly there. I think I relaxed a bit then and quite enjoyed my last km and passed by a few people. Tried to push on for the finish but not sure there was anything left. I looked absolutely goosed in my finish line photo 😂 . Checked my watch and couldn't believe that not only was I under 45 but I was sub 44!. Official time 43:45 - just over one minute pb for the 5 mile distance - surprised and delighted. Tea and sandwiches after. Went for a 1km cool down shuffle while himself relaxed in the sauna! A well organised race but felt like I really had to work hard for it.

Well done on the PB, great stuff😊

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Congrats on the PB, super running, well done :-)

29 Jan - 04 Feb

Mon: Missed track training as I had something else on. Went out for an early morning 4km recovery run, poor little legs were tired.

Tues: morning walk and evening workout.

Weds: Morning walk. Evening track. A tough fartlek session. Rolling 90 sec of 4 increasing paces. I did find that half way through the session I was feeling tired but for the last few sets I found another gear. I like the learning from a paced session, controlling the pace, trying to run a pace by feel rather than looking at the watch. With a warm up and cool down 8km in 45 mins moving time per strava! That's nearly as fast as my race the previous weekend!

Thurs: Morning walk and workout in the studio for a change.

Fri: Online workout done that morning. Knew I was going to be on the road that evening so out for a run straight after work. 5km in 35mins, keeping the pace easy.

Sat: parkrun 5km. At my inlaws local parkrun which i haven't run in ages. Few climbs on it. 1 km warm up beforehand. Tried not to go too fast, mindful of the long run in the morning. But it's hard not to target someone in front of you, reel them in and then keep them behind you. Tried to keep it to a steady 5:30min/km - it's still mental when I think of a pace like that as "steady" !! Absolutely no walking breaks and it was good to feel the strength kick in on the hills. Finished in 27:35.

Sun: Long run time. Was looking forward to this one out by the inlaws for a change of scenery. Plan was for 9 miles and himself was doing 7. Had 2 loops mapped out which would bring us up to 7 miles and then I would do a little out and back for myself to get the last little bit of distance. First loop is nice, quiet back roads with a very gradual decline towards the shore. Then along the shore road towards the village - this part was very open and windy but thankfully the road was quiet in terms of traffic. Through the village and a gradual climb back to our starting point to begin loop two. Second loop I knew there was going to be more of a climb but at least we were well warmed up. Almost 3km of climbing from 20m to 103m. About 1.5km along on a good height with lovely views over the countryside and the water before our decent into the village and back up to our start point. I headed off then along the first part of our route for my out and back to clock up the last few km on my own. While the long run was a slower pace than I normally do, it was lovely and relaxed and just had the legs moving. Himself went for a paddle in the ice cold water after, I did not! 14.5km 1hr 43mins

05 - 11 Feb

Mon: Bank hol so no track training. Went for a morning recovery run before getting ready to leaving the inlaws. Legs felt tired enough and luckily the gates to the soccer pith were open so I did loops of the concrete around the pitch. 4.5km 32mins. When I got home later that day I went out for a walk to stretch out the legs.

Tues: Evening to myself so what better way to spend it than a home workout followed by a 5km walk. Could have been worse - I could have done housework!

Weds: Back to the track for a speed session. 90sec repeats. A nice session to push out the pace a bit and fire up the legs and lungs. Covered 7km including warm up, cool down and rest intervals.

Thurs: Workout in the fitness studio. A short walk after as it felt like I'd no air all day.

Fri: Was heading away for the weekend and knew I was going to be missing my long run. I was up bright dark and early and had hoped to get 10km done before work but it was a struggle to get as far as 8km, the body was tired after the workout the previous night. There was hardly a sinner out and the roads were quiet, it felt rather lonely.

Sat: away

Sun: away

12 - 18 Feb

Mon: Track training. Was in a bit early so I went for a 2km warm up run out the road while waiting for the earlier session to finish. There's also a big crowd doing C25k so the track is fairly busy on a Mon eve which is brilliant to see. Track session for us was 3 x 9 mins and each lap you picked up the pace. A really good session to do for managing your pace. Really enjoying track sessions at the moment. It's getting me out in the evenings, it's teaching me to control and manage my pace and to zone in more on what certain paces (10k, half, easy, hard etc) feel like rather than relying on the watch. Got 7km done in 46 mins plus track warm up.

Tues: Tiredness hitting me. Just a short walk in the morn and eve.

Weds: Again still so tired. Really pushed myself to do a weights workout. Was so glad I did, it felt productive. My quads the next few days were feeling it too!

Thurs: Fairly busy day. Squeezed in a 3.5km run in 21 mins just to say that I got a run in.

Fri: Felt like I was behind in my training plans. Early morning walk to clear the head. Short work day so went to the park in the next town after for a change of scenery and did a brisk 5km there in 28:56. Hadn't planned on it being that fast, I wasn't looking at the watch. Quite happy with it though, nice to go out run a 5km without paying my attention and be under 30mins. Home and before I changed out of my gear I stuck on a home workout before I could change my mind! Few pauses to load and unload laundry and check the oven!

Sat: Early morning fitness class. Quick freshen up and over to parkrun to do run director. I'd already arranged for people to check the course and set up which was a big help. But the weather! Only fit for ducks. Route was a bit water logged and muddy in places but after approx 50 people (yes couldn't believe that many came out in that weather) had gone around the loops it was getting dug up a little. A few little slips and slides. And of course the rain stopped just before the last few came over the line!

Sun: Long run. I had originally planned for 9/10 miles but coach in the club said 6 would be plenty given that I'm doing a 10 mile race the following weekend. So I set out with the group intent on running 10km. But I got into a good little group chat and the rest were going on further and I didn't really want to turn off for my 10km and I kept going with them. In fairness it was a fairly flat route, couple of hills, the last 2km a bit tougher. We kept it very relaxed and chatted along. 16.6km in 1hr49. To be honest I'm glad I've hit the 10 mile mark 4 weeks out from the half marathon, a good mental boost for me. Plan for the coming week is just to do the 2 track sessions and as I seem to be free on Sat morn, try and keep parkrun very very easy before the 10 mile race on Sunday.

19 - 25 Feb

Mon: Morning walk to stretch out the legs. Met a friend for a run before track, it ended up being a little fast than what should have been a pre-session warm up! 5.15km in 30 mins. A good track session which kept me on my toes - 600m run with 400 jog, 400m run with 200m jog, 200m run with 100m walk. Trying to remember which one you were on, getting the paces right. Completely distracted me from the fact that I'd run 5km beforehand!

Tues: Rest day.

Weds: Evening walk. Just feels like it had been raining no stop for days on end, everytime I went out the door it was raining and I was not in the humour for track training so met a friend for a walk - and of course it started raining! Got a workout done when I got home.

Thurs: Morning walk. Was at a running promo event in a sports shop that event and part of it was a group run. Because - surprise surprise - it was raining, we only ran 3km (19mins) instead of 5. After the event, one of the girls wanted to do another 2km to round up to 5km, so we did 3km to be sure (20 mins)! And it wasn't raining!

Fri: morning workout. Had planned an easy run in town after work but plans changed and the free hour was no longer available.

Sat: Had put myself down to marshal at parkrun. so I decided to go in a bit earlier and do a few laps of the nearby track to stretch out the legs. 3km 20 mins.

Sun: RACE : Turgesius 10 mile - 1:30:47 - PB!!

The next big milestone I'd set for myself in my half marathon training was a 10 miler. I'd never done this race before, reports from a few who had was that it was "hilly". My pb was standing at 1:34 so I wasn't sure if I'd manage to pb or if it would just be good training. Got there good and early, collected race number, visit toilet and back to the car to get ready, bite to eat and chat others. Another toilet visit and over to the start line trying to keep warm. Downhill start and had realised I'd never set my watch to display average pace which I find works best for me in a race, instead it was showing current pace. I wish I could give you a mile by mile account of the race but I honestly don't remember much of it! It was lovely very quiet rural roads, the odd house had someone outside supporting. Was certainly warmed up by 3km. Was running with a clubmate and we seemed to just be at what felt like a steady but working pace. I honestly didn't look at my watch much and the distances were flying by, plenty of times we were like oh I missed the mile marker or didn't hear the watch beep for that km. The route had hills, but they were ok hills, just up and downy hills, not those never ending gradual climbs that drain your legs. Also no long straight stretches of road where it feels like you're getting nowhere. Time to practice taking gels again - took one at 7km and another at 13km. At about 12km I pushed on a bit and held well for 2km but felt it tough to hang in there for the last 2km. The last bit was what people had talked about - a tough uphill climb but the reward was at the top - a right hand turn downhill for the finish. My running buddy was on my tail! Absolutely delighted with the finish time - ran mostly by feel rather than by the watch so it feels like a good reflective time.

So the next step is the half marathon on St Patrick's Day in New York. Bit nervous about it. My half pb time is 2:07 so I'm sure I'll beat that. The dream would be close to 2 hours but will be happy with anything under 2:05, I do want to take it all in as well, it's a once in a lifetime run.

Well done on the PB, a fair chunk of time taken off it too, hope you were buzzing 😊 Oh how exciting getting to run in NY, enjoy every min of it!

25 Feb - 03 Mar

Mon: morning walk. missed track session

Tues: morning walk. online workout in the evening

Weds: morning walk. Again missed track session.

Thurs: Morning run. Found this tough physically and mentally with the passing of a relative this week. 5.25km 35mins.

Fri: rest day

Sat: online workout followed by 5km walk

Sun: The last big long run. Feels like no time ago since I started training and feels like I haven't many long runs done. But was advised to run the full 13 miles / 21 kms. Had a few others for company for this which was nice and I planned out the route, mostly country and greenway so quiet roads. I was dreading it that morning - having not got out for runs that week, I started to have serious doubts about my half marathon. I felt tired and weak. We got going anyway and it did feel like it took me 5 or 6km to settle in, the pace felt a little fast and I was panicking because it was easy-ish pace were were running (around 6 min/kms). But I relaxed eventually and the kms ticked by. Found the few hills I had plotted to be ok. Only took one gel around 12km, think I'll be on 2 or 3 on the day. The last mile myself and one other picked up the pace and it did leave me feeling good and strong at the end of the run. 21.1km 2hrs 13 mins.

04 - 10 Mar

My last full week of half marathon training so really wanted to get as much done.

Mon: track session. A bit of a complicated set of 600s, 400s and 200s with recoveries. But I got in with a couple of other ladies and we worked together. It was nice to have some company on the track instead of trailing at the back telling myself that everyone just runs at their own pace... 7km covered including warm up and cool down in 40 mins moving.

Tues: online workout in the evening

Weds: morning walk. Good effort to go to track session that evening, -I'd gotten into the habit of crying off this session with the rain. A long fartlek set and it took a bit to hone in on my different paces - I was running my 10 mile set at 10km pace and finding it difficult on the pick up. Again running with the same ladies as Mon night and good to keep each other in check with the pace and push on when needed to. 8km covered including warm up and cool down 50 mins

Thurs: Evening workout in studio. Feels like ages since I'd worked with this particular instructor and she was great for giving little corrections and a bit of a push.

Fri: complete rest day. The joys of upcoming leave from work means all the work needs to get done before I go!

Sat: A rare chance to run at parkrun as there was a full volunteer roster. I had a rub out with the physio beforehand and he cleared me for parkrun once I went easy and that I did. I kept myself in check with my breathing - if I was getting out of breath I was going too fast and it worked. Legs felt the hills and took it very easy on them, terrified I'd pull or strain something. Time 31:28. One of the regulars sided up to me for a cool down and we did 1km at a faster pace than I did my parkrun but it was good to catch up with her!

Sun: Eeek a short long run!! My mum laughed as I said only 10km this weekend! The rest had planned for 10 miles and I was tempted but we had picked a route with a 7 mile loop and they would go out and back for the last few miles. It was a nice pace along, everyone stuck together even the lads stayed with us and they usually push on after a few km but I think because they often don't run with us it was a change of conversation for them! I was quite happy to leave them head on further at the end of the loop, I did feel a bit tired. But by the time I jogged back to the car I had to lap the car park to round up to 12km in 1hr 17.

Hopefully the hay is in the barn as they say! It's hard to know....

• Advertisement

11 - 17 Mar

Mon: track session. Went to the earlier track session and it was a rare evening where my running pals were there and we had a great time at training - it was such a buzz and made me realise that club training is not just about improving and pushing yourself in each session but about socialising and running with others, and that not really something I'm getting from the later group. Felt like a tough session - increasing run intervals, decreasing recovery intervals. I did hold back and the mind was going into overdrive: OMG don't get injured, I'm so tired, there's no power in the legs, etc!

Tues: rest

Weds: A short walk that evening for some air after a busy day getting finished up with work.

Thurs: I wanted to get a short little run in this morning just to run out the legs and settle the nerves. But I had a hair appointment at 10 and spent about an hour and half looking out the window at the rain. It cleared just after 9, scooted upstairs to change and boot it out the door. 3km, 20 mins was all that was needed. Good to run out the legs but didn't do much to settle the nerves. Quick shower and off to sit in the magic chair for a few hours!

Fri: Travel. Landed about 3pm local time and after hotel check in went straight to expo to collect race number. Fairly straightforward. No goodie bag. Had to exchange my finishers top - the sizing was tiny. Bought some event clothing - a long sleeve and a singlet, fairly high prices but justified by using my work bonus card for it!

Sat: They seem to be big into their "shakeout" runs in America. But it sounded like a good idea to stretch the legs and meet with a few others from the travel group. A 5km run from the hotel along the East River, stopping every so often for views. GPS went haywire doing 5.5km with a 3:xx min/km! Not accurate but a warning to myself about the watch for the following day.

Sun: New York Half Marathon! 🗽

New York Half Marathon 17/03/2024 - official time 2:03:38 - pb!

After being on my bucket list for almost 5 years, I was really getting to run the NYC half! It wasn't easy travelling abroad for a race - things like trying to figure out race day breakfast in advance was a challenge. Being conscious of travel time, time difference, being on our feet etc.

So an early 4am start. Everything laid out the night before. Trying to eat as much weetabix as I could! Meeting in the hotel lobby for 5 to walk to the busses at Central Park South. Not much life about the streets at that hour of the morning. Noticed on the bus on the way out to Brooklyn that my heart rate quite high, in the early 80s, for someone sitting on a bus and put it down to the nerves. Once we got there, dropped the bag off straight away and quickly through security. There was supposed to be a VIP area organised by the tour operators but I couldn't find it!! Queues for the portaloos were miles long and I did really need to go. But figured there were loads more in the corrals (wave starts) and waited for my wave to open and was straight in - relief! Just enough time then to shed a few layers, chow down a brioche roll and rice crispie bar and we were off.

Take a deep breath, relax into it, try not to start too fast. After 1km I was regretting wearing a light tshirt under my singlet. But it was my 100 parkrun tee and I was not parting from that for love nor money! The first 5km were lovely, bang on pace even though I never saw the 2 hour pacer for the whole race. Not too many around Prospect Park in Brooklyn at 8:30/9am on Sunday morn. Out of the Park after 4km and few people on the streets of Brooklyn cheering and waving signs. Feeling good, enjoying the buzz. I got a pace band in miles from the expo and checked each mile marker to my watch time. Doing ok. 5km in 28:17. Carried on through Brooklyn with Manhattan and it's Bridge looming ahead, 5 mile kicked in just as we were heading over the bridge. Time for my first gel but in hindsight I should have taken this before the bridge so that I could fully enjoy the experience of the bridge! Down into Chinatown where I'd never been before and the roar of the crowds and the view back under the bridge.

Now onto part 2 of the race - FDR drive - a 4 mile stretch. It was cooler here and glad I didn't part from my tshirt. Was though 10km in 57:29 which was still pretty good. But very gradually along FDR I was slowing up, only by a few seconds a km. Not much crowds along FDR due to the nature of the location. At 14km my bottle was near empty and I went for the water station and the paper cups were only half full, then lost half the water trying to pour into my bottle as well as loosing time. At 10 miles we turned off FDR and up by Grand Central - my God the noise, the crowds, the support, you proper feel like important people! Forgot to take a pic of Grand Central Bridge. Now onto the last stage of the race - the last 3 miles.

The crowds were truly unbelievable and really spurred you on. You forget about your pace and just take in the atmosphere and things just flew by, it's like the 500m of DCM, only for miles and miles. I had hoped to pick up the pace here but it wasn't so easy. Running low on water and time for another gel. A rock band playing on the corner, a right turn and it was another one of those "wow" moments and goosebumps. And trying to take a gel and take photos and take it all in!! I honestly don't think I was able to full appreciate it - between the lights, the crowds, the kids races - it was a lot!! Just past all the lights there was the water station - I was clever and grabbed a cup from the first table, walked along trying to refill then to the last table for another cup. Then I could see the trees ahead for Central Park and took off. I knew the finish line was just over there! But my god when I got into Central Park it just felt like 5th gear wasn't there, any climbs felt like mountains. I don't think I got to really take in or enjoy Central Park, it was just about getting to the finish, which is a pity because it's a fabulous part of the city and route. Didn't really feel like there was much pick up for the finishing straight but the relief crossing it. I hadn't even got my medal yet and my Mam who was tracking me had already messaged me congrats which was very sweet!

Got my finisher's bag and my own bag, changed my clothes and went out to Central Park South to cheer himself in. Afterwards we wandered about, not sure what to do, trying to get a taxi with the road closures. I'm delighted with my time. Initially I was a bit disappointed that I didn't hit 2 hours. But it's still a 4 minute improvement on my half marathon time and I feel I put in good training for it. It is a tough route, and the travel doesn't help either. It's very much one to go and run and not look at your watch - just enjoy it! It felt like a tough run and has made me think about whether I want to put myself through Dublin marathon again! But it feels like a 2 hour half marathon is just within reach so I'll be keeping an eye out for another one or 2 halfs this year to have a crack at it....

18 - 24 Mar

Mon - Fri: Couple of days sightseeing. Travel home. In hindsight I wished I got in one last run in Central Park but it was a good half hour walk away from the hotel and I hadn't really much free time.

Sat: A run out at parkrun - the legs still work - just about. No great shakes with the pace, just wanted a run out. 29:41. The parkrun route never seems to get any easier. Plus about a 1km warm up.

Sun: Few of the gals were going for a long run. Even though it was barely a week since the half I figured once we took it easy it wouldn't be too bad. It was ok but the 7 miles was enough. 1hr 19mins

25 - 31 Mar

Mon: back to track training. Enjoyed being back at it. Went to the early evening session to ease back in. 6 x 4mins at 10km pace - just about able to get a few words out on the track! Got in with a nicely paced group and felt comfortable and enjoyable. Afterwards as I was getting a lift with a friend and she was waiting for her kids to finish training we had time for a 5km. Grand out and back on the greenway - can't wait for the brighter evenings. Felt like I was winning of a Monday with 10km in the bag!

Tues: rest day

Weds: back at track. A session of 4 x 90sec at 5km pace or quicker with 90 recovery. It didn't sound too bad but my god it was tough. Short break and another set of 90secs. Did a few laps warm up and cool down - 6km 42 mins.

Thurs: Evening workout class - first one in probably 2.5/3 weeks. A toughie, instructor spied me with lighter weights and wasn't long about dropping over heavier dumbells! But by the end of the session I quite enjoyed it!

Fri: Good Friday and all in our house was off work and college. We went out of a walk along the canalway between 2 towns. 8km out, had a packed lunch and 8km back.

Sat: Morning circuits class - it was tough going. Had arranged to meet a friend after for a run, wasn't sure how it was going to fare out as she's a faster runner than me. But we got chatting and moving along and it was fine. 5km 28:19. We did a mile cooldown after - 10mins.

Sun: Was surprised that a few were available for a long run on Sunday but it had to be early with commitments. Meeting for 8:30am was tough when it was really 7:30 old time! We had planned for 10 miles but after 2 miles I already knew I wasn't feeling it. Relief when one of the others said at 5 miles about maybe cutting it short. So our loop brought us around to 7 miles. 12km 1hr 18mins. Legs felt quite tired, putting it down to the increased activity this week.

01 - 07 April

Mon: bank holiday so went along to a fitness class. Good class. Track training wasn't going ahead that evening so I decided to run a 5km recovery after the class. It was torture, really wasn't feeling it and pulled the plug at 2.5km in 16:40. That's not like me. Not gonna lie, it knocked my confidence.

Tues: rest day

Weds: Track training that evening and a pyramid session 1 min up to 7 mins and back down. It was an ok session, glad to be back with the earlier running group where at least I'm not running on my own. Head wasn't really in the session and I could put in more effort with the paces. Distance 6.4km in 43mins incl warm up and recoveries

Thurs: Took another rest day.

Fri: A local 5km race series was starting up, I usually enjoying doing it. But I decided to give it a miss. My long run was on Sat morn for a change and with the way I was feeling with my running, I couldn't do both well and had to chose one or the other. Himself was running so I went over that far with him, did 1km warm up with him and ran another 2km myself while the competitors were out on the course. It was nice to spectate for a change.

Sat: This ended up being a good long run and it was just what I needed. Change of scenery, a few different faces in addition to the usual suspects. It just felt relaxed and easy, the kms ticked by, couldn't believe when it was time to turn on our out-and-back route. If you asked me to run an extra mile I would have. We picked up the pace for the last mile and it felt great. 16km 1:42.

Sun: rest day. The Banagher 5km was on and it was tempting. But as someone pointed out to me during the week, the NYC Half may still be in the body and that might be why I was struggling the past week. I've had to tell myself I can't run everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Catching up on the NYC half - congrats on the PB. It’s a race I’d love to do myself sometime. Well done. Sub-2 is there for sure, although you might have to put the camera away. 😉 Super stuff.

08 - 14 April

Mon: unscheduled rest day. Every time I so much as looked outside it rained and was cold. By the time I'd walked home from work I was cold, wet and miserable and not in the humour to head back out into it again for a run.

Tues: A much nicer day weather wise so convinced myself to go out after waking dinner to make up for missing Monday. An ok run, calves were very tight and usually if they are the stretch out after a km but they didn't. 5km in 32mins.

Weds: I couldn't use the weather as an excuse to miss training again. It wasn't too bad leaving the house but the closer I got to the track the heavier it got. Nothing else I could do only zip up the jacket, put on a hat and get on with it. Thankfully it did stop raining half way through the session but at that stage I was soaked. We had a set of 6 x 4mins at about 10km pace, think I ran some of them nearer to 5km pace but no harm with the bit of speed work. Covered 7km with warm up, cool down and walk intervals.

Thurs: fitness class

Fri: second night in the local 5km race series and I put myself in for it. And realised it would be my first 5km race in ages and I've not really trained for faster stuff. Sure look I'll give it a go. Landed and it was cold and raining and me in a singlet and shorts with no change of clothes bar a hoody. Thankfully about 10/15mins before start it cleared up and was actually perfect weather. Got a 1km warm up done. I've run this race a number of times, I know the route, the climbs, the hills etc. Doesn't make it any easier. It was interesting to give the 5km distance a go and see where I'm at. Finish time 26:46 - not bad but made me realise I'm a long way off getting near to 25:00. Splits: 5:22, 5:37, 5:24, 5:21, 5:01

Sat: Fitness class. Run director at parkrun.

Sun: Long run time. Had arranged to meet a few girls for a run and decided to meet about my part of town for a change of scenery so I was tasked with plotting out a 10km route. I had rather hoped to be running 10 miles so I decided to run down to the meeting point - 2.5km away and make up some distance for myself. Enjoyable run with the crew, plenty of chat and good to be doing a different route for us and for me to have company on my local roads. When we had go back to the start, a couple of girls wanted to do a few extra miles but I wasn't sure how much more they were going to do but I went with them anyway. Kept it simple out and back on the greenway. By the time we got back to the meeting point I was at 20.9km so a no brainer to run on around the car park for 21.1km!! Pretty delighted with myself, planned 10 mile and ran 13. One gel taken. Moving time was 2hr 10mins but the watch was paused for things like meeting up with and saying goodbye to people. Got a lift back to the house!

15 - 21 April

Mon: An interesting track session - reducing intervals of 400m down to 100m all with 100m recoveries. Somehow I ended up being the one in my cohort keeping track and announcing which interval was next. It was good to look back at my strava and see the pace increase as the intervals shortened - it's nice when you see you actually ran the session as you were supposed to! Covered 6.5km including warm up, cool down and walk intervals. Cold evening with a threat of rain, kept the running jacket on. Runners are cutting at my heels, not far off 800kms in them so a new pair ordered.

Tues: Usually a rest day but because it was a nice evening a friend messaged to see if I wanted to join her for a little run while her kids were at training. Countless laps around outside track of the pitch, thought we would never get to 5km! 29:55. It's still mad that when I look at my running times - a few years ago I bust a gut to get near 30 mins and now I'm running and chatting and not watching my pace and getting under 30 mins without trying.

Weds: Foot felt sore that morning. I wonder was it from running on the path around the pitch the previous night. Dr Google told me it was planter!! I was almost in tears, what about all the lovely running and races I've planned for this year. I took some painkillers and in the afternoon it eased up and (touch wood) I've felt ok since. Gave track session a miss.

Thurs: Rest day from running. Was afraid getting out of the bed about my foot but it felt fine. Went to fitness class that evening, lovely pushing with a bit heavier of a weight.

Fri: Precautionary visit to doctor, I'd a rash that was a bit unusual for me. Apparently I might have shingles but once I'm feeling ok, carry on as normal. Okay…. Foot still felt ok, lovely afternoon so went for a walk after work while himself still working at home. Another round of the local Friday 5km and I wasn't sure about running it having been to the doc earlier. I decided in my head I would pace the husband for 30 mins as he'd been close to it the last 2 weeks. But he decided he didn't fancy it himself so we both gave it a miss.

Sat: Fitness class. Volunteer at parkrun after. On the way home I decided to stop off at the greenway and go for an easy 2/3km just to see how the body was. Happy enough with it so I decided to register for a local 5km that was on the following day.

Sun: Clara AC 5km time 25:40

Splits: 5:14, 5:01, 5:03, 5:06, 5:09

Wasn't sure what to expect with this run. A bit unsure if I should put my body under stress and what I should aim for. I looked up paces for 26:00 and 26:30. My time from the previous year was I think 26:20. Over in good time, parked up, collect race number and easy run the 1km to the start. Standing around chatting and it was getting warmer. We were off and I think I started too far back, spent the first km trying to pass people and not loose the run of myself on the downhills. By the 2nd km I felt I was settled in yet the pace was faster than I was expecting. Felt good and I was passing people. On to the 3rd km and still felt ok, route a bit lumpy, getting fierce warm now, kinda wished I'd a little water bottle with me but I recall from running this before that they had a little water station around the end of the 3rd km. Got there and no water station! Ok, don't panic, just 2km to go. Zoned in on a guy in a light blue tshirt and tried to stay with him. But there was a lady in some sort of Nike runners and the noise of them clopping along. 😡 On to the last km and it was a case of trying to hang in there, I let the blue shirt and clopper go on and just tried to get myself along that last km - get to this shop, this corner, this house. Rounding the last corner knowing I'd about 300m to go and looked at my time and realised I was very close to pb territory. Urgh I tried to dig in, there's a bitch of a hill just before the finish and I tore up it and back down with the finish line in sight I just couldn't get my wee legs to go any faster. Stopped the watch and it read 25:42.9 - that's ok 3 seconds off my pb. Official time came in on the way home 25:40 - equal to my pb! Ah that's worse! Could I have not lost a second somewhere?! Don't get me wrong I'm delighted and surprised. I've a 5 miler, 10 miler and (possibly) a half marathon in the next 2 months but at this moment in time I'd fair love another crack at a 5km! I didn't realise I was that capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant, well done on the 5k. It's always great when you run close to your PB again like that. It's highly likely there's another breakthrough just waiting to happen 😉 There's usually lots of 5ks around this time of year and great thing is they don't take long to recover from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Well done on matching your 5k PB!

Hopefully the foot stays ok. I have flirted with plantar fasciitis a bit since a just before DCM and calf stretches are what work for me. A couple of times a day if think of it or if I feel my heel at me at all. Hasn't caused me any major issues since I started doing the stretches for it.

Advertisement