Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America executes trans inmate

Options

Comments

Woman and female denote biological sex.

I always love a man telling me, a woman, when I should call a male person a woman. Not a bit mansplainy. I recommend saying it to the women and girls of Afghanistan whose sex means a life of hell.

There's no point at which someone who isn't a woman "becomes" a woman, no matter how much surgery. It's impossible. A transwoman though, yes.

• im not telling you anything I’m pointing out your inaccuracies. Identifying as a woman and being of female sex does not make you all knowing or indeed the final say on this or any other matter. You’re not the authority on who can and can’t use the female pronouns because you’re a female. That’s absolutely the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard and such a weak argument. Mansplainy? Honestly grow up. 😂

• But on that note I’m not really bothered to engage with you any further tbh.

male and female are the correct biological terms to refer to sex.

man, woman, boy, girl are gender labels we apply to people.

That’s just the end of it.

Not as weak as "if a person wants to be someone else, they ARE them".

Which inaccuracies? What I say is rooted in objective, biological reality so how can there be inaccuracies?

I don't identify as a woman (silly baiting) - I AM a woman, and it absolutely does make me an authority on what being a woman is like. Because womanhood is certainly not just clothes, makeup, accessories, shoes and hair.

I never said anything about pronouns - it's only you who keep bringing them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

May zee rest in peace

• Advertisement

• What is gender? What is sex?

2020-04-28

'Sex' and 'gender' are often used interchangeably, despite having different meanings:  

Sex refers to a set of biological attributes in humans and animals. It is primarily associated with physical and physiological features including chromosomes, gene expression, hormone levels and function, and reproductive/sexual anatomy. Sex is usually categorized as female or male but there is variation in the biological attributes that comprise sex and how those attributes are expressed.

Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, expressions and identities of girls, women, boys, men, and gender diverse people. It influences how people perceive themselves and each other, how they act and interact, and the distribution of power and resources in society. Gender identity is not confined to a binary (girl/woman, boy/man) nor is it static; it exists along a continuum and can change over time. There is considerable diversity in how individuals and groups understand, experience and express gender through the roles they take on, the expectations placed on them, relations with others and the complex ways that gender is institutionalized in society.

Whatever you like to believe.

The established use of the word woman in healthcare pertaining to female biology, sport, spaces, societies where girls and women are subjugated... refutes that woman just denotes gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You do care about ALL the other rapes happening across USA too, right? You didn’t just single out this one strange edge case rape to be concerned about, right?

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ever see the move Citizen X with Donald Sutherland and Stephen Rae, brilliant movie. Anyway in the end the Russian police took the killer to a room and gave him one bullet in the back of the head. That is all it would take. You could even automate it and deliver a few bullets at the same time to make it final in one swift blow.

What gets me about the way the US do it is they can go to foreign country kill dozens of people in an instant with a missile, and well you get the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

A person is not a woman if that person is a man.

Im trying to think of ways to explain this to you that might cause a lightbulb moment for you.

No amount of surgery or hormones can turn a man into a woman.

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] "edit: oh and while I’m pointing out things you’re wrong about, you didn’t upset me in the slightest as I said. I responded to a post you made, you made 7 total posts in response to maybe 2-3 of mine. Half of those were back to back before I even answered you as separate posts. Who upset who exactly?"

So what? My point stands that your first response to my one sentence was weirdly angry. A very unprovoked anger. You're not pointing out things I'm wrong about - you're just pointing out things I'm saying which are perfectly correct but you don't like them.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Women is just another word for one of the human sex's. It's a more personable word or instead we'd be referring to people as their sex all the time which is a bit crude.

You wouldn't call a female dog a woman you'd call them a bitch so bitch is to woman in a non-human context.

So we use words like Man/Woman for the sex of species in lieu of male/female.

If an alien single sex race visited and observed us from afar they would know there are male and female variants of species, but they wouldn't know what words like woman or bitch we use or why unless we explained it to them.

Therefore sex and gender mean exactly the same thing in a human and even animal context. There is absolutely no substantive difference between sex and gender, there is no substantive difference between a human male or a man, or a human female or a woman, they mean exactly the same thing.

If i said my country of birth, or Ireland, I mean exactly the same thing, i.e Ireland.

The idea that gender is something different from sex in humans is a notion that has been pushed by trans rights activists and thanks to anti gender ideology activists that notion has been completely rubbished and will never be widely accepted. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

I think they come under pressure to make executions more civilized affairs. Which is something we are subject to right across the full spectrum of society.

You can see this pressure in people being railroaded into accepting someone's gender identity, despite the small matter of reality and facts getting in the way. You are painted as being less civilized and even less evolved as a person if you refuse to play along with this game - and it is very much a game.

I think society has increasingly become shielded from the reality of death - or at least civilized society. As you say, the yanks will go off and murder people on the other side of the world, very often with barbaric methodology, but then people cry about a serial killer being put to death in Texas or something. I would even say the whole trend towards cremation over burial, is yet another attempt to shield people's delicate sensitivities from the reality of death. Death is not glamorous or pretty or tranquil etc... it's the expiration of your body. Whether brought about intentionally or by natural causes. We're organic matter at the end of the day - we're designed to expire. Hence why we are very easy to kill. (being dead may very well be tranquil or beautiful - who knows? hopefully - but death and dying isn't)

If we were less squeamish or delicate about death, yes we would simply put a bullet straight through the brain stem. Destruction of the the brain stem and I think the cerebellum, would induce practically instantaneous death and lack of ability for the brain to transmit pain signals through those vital receptors - hence as quick and pain free a method as we know of. Not to mention highly efficient and cheap as chips too. But a bit messy... which to many people means "uncivilized"... but only because they are deliberately disconnected from the realities of death, and so increasingly almost every aspect of death is an affront to their delicate easily offended nature.

There was a time when society had a much more intimate relationship with death. And in many respects this made life more real... but now that we are encouraged to shield ourselves from this reality, it has become somewhat abstract to many people. They are horrified and offended by the reality of death or someone being killed. When actually both are remarkably natural things. Human beings are actually the most successful predators that this world has ever seen - we are experts at death and dying. Professionals you might say. If you watch a pride of lions tearing apart an antelope on the Serengeti, those guys are mere amateurs compared with human beings.

So yes, unfortunately we cannot just use the most efficient and humane method. We must play along with the silly games that make up so many aspects of our daily lives these days! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You have literally just proved what both of us have been saying ,

The whole bases is not on reality or biology but based on "don't be a dick"

Which yes has merit , don't be a dick to people, be kind & nice, but even if you do so that does not change the TRUTH of reality ,

It's pretty simple

If a Trans women was a real women , You wouldn't need to put Trans in front of the word women ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sounds like someone is a shed exclusionary radical transgenderist, or SERT for short.

No I do agree that sex and gender are different. Gender is surface stuff, like the style of dress a person has which is typically associated with their sex. That's why it's not common for a guy to wear nail varnish and makeup. And when he does so he's gender non conforming.

I dunno what ISA is but this thread is about this person, so this person will be talked about on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Apologies should be USA, with over 100,000 rapes each year, and 15-20% of women being raped at least once.

So you’d wonder why anyone who claims to be all about protecting women has such a narrow focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Texas put a man to death using the same one shot protocol last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Whataboutery?

The thread is about one trans person being executed, not a general one about rapes in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

You are genuinely saying that because I am specifically speaking about this specific scenario on a thread which is specifically about a trans inmate, it suggests that I don't care about "protecting women" in all other aspects of life?

Are you serious?

Why did you only mention the statistics about the USA?

Is that an indicator that you don't care about rapes anywhere else in the world?

Ridiculous.

What is your stance on Trans- women

Is it we don't get to decide, its there decision not ours, they are "women " if they feel that way ?

Would that be a fair thing to say about of your stance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

When can you disagree ?

If your a straight male & you meet a "women" in a bar & became intimate & she told you later she used to be a man but that's fine because she isn't a man now she's women , Would you then have a right to disagree ? or ye know someone else life its open for question or debate ,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rather alarmingly, I've heard people referring to rejecting a person in such circumstances as bigoted and transphobic.

I'd hope to think such ideologies are limited to the extremists and in reality and are far from common.

See its all about PC ,

You don't even need it to go that far , just take the concept of it most people would say "oh ye you can disagree at that point that there not a real women ", but if you disagree before that your a bigot & transphobic but the person hasn't changed only the situation ,

No I do agree that sex and gender are different.

Gender is surface stuff, like the style of dress a person has which is typically associated with their sex. That's why it's not common for a guy to wear nail varnish and makeup. And when he does so he's gender non conforming.

I'm saying that gender and sex are the same, so gender is not surface stuff. Gender fashions (on the other hand) are outward expressions of masculinity or femininity, those human expressions do not say what one's sex/gender is because that's just social fashion conventions, i.e. I could stick on a some nail varnish but I'm still a man.

• Advertisement

Yes you're still a man - a gender non conforming man.

Advertisement