Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America executes trans inmate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

One is one too many in female prisons. I'm not concerned if they are in male prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,323 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ah right, I thought you were posting an actual informed opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am. Any proof that I am not? the subject of this thread is a man pretending to be a woman ostensibly to get a pass on execution. He didn't and that's good. Not that I support capital punishment, I don't, but I don't support males in female spaces. You just have to look at the males trying to infiltrate female categories of sport too. Must have been cack as a male in the male category, but will out do the females because, you know, hormones and chromosomes never lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,323 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you said

The number of transwomen in prisons completely screws up the criminality statistics. Look over here, there are more women committing crimes than men now. Just because a male criminal identifies as a woman.

I presumed you had some actual figures to back up such a big statement. clearly you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,663 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No he is not ,

A trans person is someone who thinks they are the opposite another gender he knows people like this exist , He is merely saying that is there belief is not factual ,

I don't believe there was a Jesus who was the son of god, that does not mean i think Christian's do not exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I am "literally" not.

I am disagreeing with an individual's self identification, due to the fact that they are identifying as something they are provably not.

That does not mean they do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭mikethecop

So guilty and gone.

The criminals accountability for taking human life and been accounted for. and there is zero danger of re offending.

as it should be.

Yes I support capital punishment. because properly instituted it is effective, ie prevents re offending and if used swifter would provide the deterrent that it doesn't at present.

how would you feel about is someone you loved was killed by someone who had done time for a past murder or rape and been released with a light sentence ?

Post edited by mikethecop on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

People who believe that they/are pretending that they are a sex other than what they are do exist. They always have. How is that denying their existence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

In your opinion how many biologically intact men do you think is safe in the women’s prison?

• Advertisement

People who don't agree that transwomen are literally women are not denying the existence of trans people - that line is such bull. Disagreeing with is not the same as denying the existence of, ffs.

As a woman I find it offensive when people tell me transwomen are the same as me. But I don't deny that they exist. Of course they exist.

Yes, sex and gender are different, yet there's conflation of the two by those who also recognise the difference. It makes no sense. Woman is not a gender, it denotes biological sex.

• But trans people don’t believe they’re someone they are not. They don’t subscribe to the gender assigned to them and seek another or go the non binary route.

you my friend are confusing gender and biological sex. Read the paper from 2001 on the subject to understand why you are wrong.

Also, different poster, but equally as stupid, your nationally is absolutely not fixed and you certainly could move to China and speak Chinese and if granted citizenship call yourself Chinese.

being tied to a particular nationality is rather down to the citizenship entitlements you hold in the country.

However if a white person wanted to call themselves a black person, they’re just an idiot because biology isn’t up for discussion.

So to summarise, biological sex and gender are NOT the same thing, you can be Chinese if the government will grant you citizenship, you’ll never be black because it’s biologically implausible. Unlike transitioning there’s no medical or any other way in which you can change your skin colour, there is, however hormonal and surgical procedures to change your bodies biology to some degree. That’s the other major difference.

Of course why would we worry about silly things like “science” and “facts”, that would just make all your claims bollocks and no fun then. Sure, if we do it that way, how are you gonna tweet at trans people that you identify as a Samsung QLED TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How would you feel if someone you love was on an Irish death row awaiting execution for a crime you know they did not commit and there was nothing you could do about it?

Because people in countries with capital punishment have experienced this.

But it's confusing gender with biological sex to say you're a woman when you were born male. Woman is not a gender.

• And refusing to call someone “she” because they’re biologically a man is confusing biological sex with gender.

Amazing how it’s almost like our mouth noises we decided were called “words” mean absolutely fcuk all in the grand scheme of things.

Fact is we could make up a whole new set of mouth sounds tomorrow to more easily distinguish one thing from the other. The idea of transgenderism obviously wasn’t a major priority when we were hammering out the finer details of conversation and human communication.

Handy though we do have something in ourselves that helps us understand the message being relayed even if it’s slightly misspoken. Do you regularly police how sentences are structured or are you just nitpicking now to make an argument about how transgender people are not the thing they want to be cos you don’t like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,753 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The bigger question is to see how capital punishment is applied unfairly, and is more likely to impact black and hispanic people, and (in previous years in the US, before a change of ruling) people with intellectual disabilities.

No gender is assigned to anyone. A sex is. But it's not assigned. It's recognised. As a fact. Because it's the truth.

You have gender. Go. Take it. It means absolutely nothing. It's a feeling.

Men will never be women. Women will never be men.

That's the sexes sorted.

You have fun with your infinite amount of genders and how strongly you believe that you are unique. Live fast, scream proudly, let everyone know how you identify.....

But you will still be the sex you are born

I literally just said woman isn't a gender (which it isn't). I don't know how such a statement could cause such anger.

Why would I be someone who polices how sentences are structured for simply saying that woman isn't a gender? (And oh my god the irony of that poster accusing me of that when they lost their sh1t over one short sentence I wrote).

Fact ISN'T we could make up a whole new set of mouth sounds tomorrow to more easily distinguish one thing from the other. Universally understood language isn't just created overnight.

And no, the word "woman" does not mean fk all. Many many of us women are sh1t sick of misogynistic attitudes like yours, undermining us, accusing us of horrendous things for simply recognising that biology matters. The word woman has ramifications for healthcare, social policy, culture... try telling a woman in Somalia, whose life is affected completely because of her SEX, that words denoting biology mean fk all.

"transgender people are not the thing they want to be" - slipped up there R. Why would someone just *be* what they want to be? That's not possible.

• I didn’t disagree with you. I said in response to you claiming it causes confusion, that we have over many centuries of refining communication come to understand nuance and context and can readily distinguish when someone says X they actually mean Y without unnecessary explanation.

And absolutely we could make a new word. We’ve added plenty of words to the dictionary without incident over the years, do you think it was written once and it can never be added to?

Your rant about misogyny is lost on me, I don’t know what horrible things women are being accused of, can you enlighten me? I certainly didn’t accuse you of anything anyway. Is it rather that you notice in your daily life a stark intolerance towards just giving people basic respect when they want to be called he or she contrary to their biological sex? It’s not universal, cos the women I know at least, afford people that basic respect and have never to my knowledge but I’ll say scarcely been the target of accusations because of it.

Uh I’m not sure what mistake you think I made? If a man wants to be called Emma and referred to as she they absolutely can do that and I don’t know if you aren’t aware.. but people have been doing it for years!

Oh and for the record you seem to think what you said upset me, it certainly hasn’t, I’m just pointing out that you’re wrong. But feel free to act like you’ve been attacked.

• Well me personally I never felt like I was living as the wrong gender, so I don’t really need to feel or do anything. It’s interesting though how others feel upsets you so much.

• Advertisement

You don't get to accuse me of ranting after your rabid previous post in response to my one short sentence.

Women who don't agree with pretending biology is inconsequential are called bigots, transphobes, fascists, nazis and even genocide supporters. We won't accept that woman and female and girl are just subjective, malleable words (meaning fk all as you charmingly put it) that can fit all sorts of meanings. They have specific meanings with rights and healthcare and policy associated with them which women FOUGHT for. The way we are being undermined for this is absolutely misogyny (e.g. viewing it as unfair when those who have experienced male puberty play in women's sports - but being sneered at and called a bigot for this very reasonable concern). A more benevolent form, but still disregarding and handwaving towards women - inclusiveness that excludes.

@[Deleted User] "Oh and for the record you seem to think what you said upset me, it certainly hasn’t, I’m just pointing out that you’re wrong. But feel free to act like you’ve been attacked" - sure thing. You were utterly livid in your rage filled post responding to my one sentence, and yes you absolutely did attack me. Coming up with weird reaches... on the basis of one sentence. That's what TRAs always do though - they're so angry. Almost as if... they know their detractors have a point.

It would be interesting...

But it's not.

I don't care how other people feel.

I care that I am compelled or am trying to be compelled to go along with their feelings about themselves, when it's demonstrably wrong or against biological fact.

I don't care what people think of themselves.

I do care when a man who rapes and kills a woman is then referred to as a woman.

It's not true.

I care about truth.

Ye always gas-light too. That poster stated irrefutable facts, that's it. Didn't say anything indicating how others feel upsets them.

If someone is gender non conforming (you can live as whatever gender you like - after all it's different to sex) wants to have hormonal treatment/surgery as an adult, all the best to them - it's a huge HUGE decision. All I disagree with is saying transwomen literally are women.

Actually, if you want to talk to me about gender, please announce how many genders you believe in before you claim to be "tolerant"

@[Deleted User] "Uh I’m not sure what mistake you think I made? If a man wants to be called Emma and referred to as she they absolutely can do that and I don’t know if you aren’t aware.. but people have been doing it for years!" I didn't refute that. Only you brought up name and pronouns.

What you acknowledged was trans people *want* to be something rather than *are*. Exactly.

• If gender is an irrelevance as you seem to be agreeing with then how can you be a gender?

Also, seriously can you not quote me 5 times both of you? I edit my post if I have something to add, I don’t reply to you and spam your notifications. Happy to have a debate but if you’re at that I’ll just add you to ignore. It’s very annoying, don’t do it.

thanks.

I don't think gender is an irrelevance - I just refuse to agree that sex is an irrelevance.

Gender is an expression, a costume. Feminine is how women typically present, and if a man wants that, all the best to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭mikethecop

So strengthen the justice system so that mistakes dont occur , there are also many cases where a person is guilty and escape justice due to weak and flawed system,

punish the guilty protest the rest of us and enjoy a safer world.

Who is more important really ? the offender or the victim?

• Advertisement

• So if I understand you it’s okay to want to be called she/her for example, but you definitely don’t get to say “I’m a woman”, is that correct?

However, I presume then you’ll have no problem one way or the other should the aforementioned also transition their body via hormone therapy and/or surgery, is that also correct?

Exactly where do you decide that someone’s enough of a woman to call themselves one?

Oh, by the way, woman isn’t a sex, it’s a gender. female is the sex. I knew there was something way off with what you were saying but it was too glaring to realise right away

edit: oh and while I’m pointing out things you’re wrong about, you didn’t upset me in the slightest as I said. I responded to a post you made, you made 7 total posts in response to maybe 2-3 of mine. Half of those were back to back before I even answered you as separate posts. Who upset who exactly?

Advertisement