Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America executes trans inmate

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

I have to admit there is something really funny about a fully tarted-up Panti Bliss lookalike getting toasted on an Old Sparky. I'd pay money to see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I've many doubts about the whole trans thing. I fully support any adult who wants to transition, but I don't think a woman can become a man or a man can become a woman regardless of what they feel, or what surgery they undergo. I respect their right to live as they wish provided they don't negatively affect other.

I don't support underage transition in any shape or form.

That said, reporting that a trans person was executed is a type of baiting. Just as it would be if they reported an Irish, gay or black person was executed/imprisoned - unless it is specifically relevant to their crime/execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The US has already executed Irish, gay and black people. This is apparently the first openly trans person who they have executed, hence the news story.

It was actually baiting from another angle too in some publications (Guardian leading the way of course) - as though the person was executed *because of* being trans (or claiming to be trans anyway - we don't know for sure if there was actual dysphoria involved) and there was more concern from many about what gender/name was used than the poor woman who was stalked, raped and murdered. This is where "we won't allow misgendering *anyone*" nonsense gets us. "Don't misgender the rapist and murderer" - it's actually sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So some trans murderer got killed? who cares.

I get that there are people against executions. But this is not so black and white. Some people are just too far gone and if you lock them up without parole for the rest of their existence they have nothing to lose. They will still kill in prison. Be it guards, medical or other prison staff. Even other prisoners. Out of sight and out of mind doesn't mean they wont still do ****.

Some people deserve to put down like dogs. In society you cant say that; its viewed as wrong but that is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Some people deserve to put down like dogs. In society you cant say that; its viewed as wrong but that is life.

You can say that, you just said it, and people often say it, people claiming Ireland should bring back the death penalty and all the rest of it when they hear about people who committed heinous acts. The problem with that attitude is that it’s fuelled by vengeance, not justice.

It was claimed earlier in the thread that one of the objections to the death penalty is that it’s murder; It’s not. Lawful killing, the taking of another person’s life, by definition, can never be murder, which is an unlawful killing. The reason for the distinction is because society is expected to value human life, by our laws, and the idea of putting anyone down like a dog violates that principle. It’s also why arguments similar to it in defence of euthanasia, that we put down animals, are so devoid of any real value, or the refrain that abortion is murder, offer nothing of any value in terms of how human life is valued.

It shouldn’t be easy to take a person’s life, and it should be reserved as a penalty for the most heinous offences, as opposed to any chance of it becoming the de-facto punishment for the most trivial offences. Opposition to the death penalty on the basis that a person can be rehabilitated is missing the point of the death penalty. It’s a death sentence which is regarded as an appropriate punishment for a crime so heinous that it warrants execution. In modern America though, it has become deeply politicised, so much so that I could borrow from another political issue and apply the same principles -

The death penalty, as a punishment for a crime, should be safe, legal and rare, and society should never reach the point where human life is of so little value that putting people down like animals wouldn’t give us pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,592 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its just bizarre this is even news at all , At the end of the day a man who killed women got executed what does it matter what he thinks & why does it differ from any other man who's been executed ? just because he thinks he's a women ? is that supposed to make us think differently or feel differently ? why do we need to know what he thinks ?

Man who thinks his women executed

Man who thinks he's innocent executed

Man who doesn't care he killed executed,

What's the difference ,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Trans people deserve protection, apparently.

they demand equality, until being ‘ equal ‘ doesn’t suit and they want more… protection. They want the benefits but not to own the responsibility when things go wrong.

Don’t think the death penalty advocates want vengeance… just a safer country, ordinary decent law abiding citizens protected…. Law to be a deterrent and safeguard

In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality was tacitly denied by their philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

As someone that gets banned for being transphobic I must say this is a really refreshing thread.

Plenty of sensible posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

It’s not the end of it. Many of us traditional folk still use man and woman synonymously to male and female. Sorry about that.

Advertisement