Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Under-20's 2023

Comments

Yeah, Costello's and Ben Murphy's probably looked the most severe - he was only on about 10 mins (Costello). A few guys who've had some injury problems this season like Conor O'Tighearnaigh and Fintan Gunne picked up knocks too. Plenty of others that didn't look overly serious (but very hard to tell).

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Not sure about today or the Italian game but Conor O'Tighearnaigh was captain for the game against Munster Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Is he the guy who’s also a really good GAA guy (i forget which game)? Is he commited to rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭letowski

Yes he is on the Cork senior hurling panel for 2023. He is a very good hurler too, should be breaking into the starting team in the next year or two, if he wants to concentrate on it.

Interesting. He would be a big get then. Hopefully they can get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wow. Decent result.

Delighted to see Gunne.

The squad announcement should be fun. I fully expect the 4 lads from last year to be included. McNabney, O' Tigheraigh, Prendergast and Mangan.

From last year's u19's, I thought Gleeson was the pick of the bunch. He should make the squad! Quinn will too. But then there's really good prospects like Liam Molony and Max Dunne, who may miss the boat.

Hadden looked a proper prospect in the summer series as did Irvine. It's tough to gauge what this squad will look like.

I think Gleeson is still under 19s if that makes any difference.

Yeah, the four from last season will be cornerstone players I imagine. McNabney is a quality operator, and Mangan is a huge unit. He looks big enough to jump straight to senior rugby.

Gleeson was good at 8, and I'd be surprised if he's not involved, but probably not in the first choice XV as all three of McNabney, Mangan and Ruadhan Quinn look elite (unless they use Mangan in the second row).

Ruadhan Quinn could have been the stand out player yesterday for me - has a real spark to him and a Sean O'Brien like burst of power / acceleration onto the ball. O'Brien is actually the player I would most compare him to when I think about it. Maybe that's too high a ceiling, but he's a quality footballer and a power athlete.

Max Dunne was playing for Leinster but was really good (as was the openside, from Old Wesley (O'Hare I think). I heard yesterday that Liam Molony is injured.

• Advertisement

Final post on this game - both Irish U20s out halves looked good.

Sam Prendergast is a pretty incredible athlete. He's 6ft 3 or possibly bigger, but seems to still have very good footwork, balance and pace. Ireland U20s had a really nice shape to their attack on a couple of occasions when he was there, where he was picking nice options in crowded passing channels. He reminded me a bit of Harry Mallinder (who looked a super player at 20s and won a JWC, but hasn't pressed on since then) in style, in that he's big and rangy but still seems to have a lot of skill and talent to him.

He outplayed Charlie Tector (who albeit was behind a more makeshift pack), but who didn't really shine yesterday.

Harry West (went to school in King's Hospital) brought a real spark to things as well. He made a couple of nice line breaks and took his try well (after a good linebreak from the excellent Fintan Gunne). If I were a Connacht fan I'd be optimistic on West.

Finally, first proper time seeing Fintan Gunne in the flesh and he justified the hype. Electric player - looked to create something almost every time he touched the ball. Some really nice snipes as well, and his pass looked to have good range on it.

It can be hard to tell at this level, but he looks to be a serious prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rugbylover1972

Great intel Fresh to Death

thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donnybrook1

Any word on Shay McCarthy, would have thought he would be involved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Munstermunch

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kita99

Are tight head members good?

At last season,I remember McGuire was excellent.Who is good this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tftsteph

Paddy McCarthy will be starting tighthead, how he will do in the scrums it TBD, he is a powerful but undersized tighthead who might end up at loosehead as a pro.

After that Fiachna Barrett is a converted backrow from Connacht, who looks like the primary backup, he has struggled in the scrum in the warmups.

No sign of two ulster tightheads in Cameron Doak and Joe Charles which is surprising, possibly injury related, another option is Ronan Foxe from Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kita99

Thank you very much.I understood current status by above comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deilf

One player that is constantly sailing just under the radar is the other u20 Leinster sub-academy scrumhalf Oscar Cawley (played for Ireland in the last two development matches off the bench). Had a very good match for Leinster, came on early for Ben Murphy after his injury - almost straight away box-kicked a 50-22 to almost the 5 meter line, scored an excellent try (kick through, chase and touch down) and put in a solid defensive effort. Doesn't have the same hype machine as Gunne behind him (came through the Leinster club system) but obviously Leinster see him as a prospect. Very little between him and Gunne imho.

Yeah Cawley is certainly underrated, he will certainly get a chance to impress for the 20s. I see he is starting for Naas today.

• Advertisement

How many are in the squad? When will it be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Munstermunch

Would you not see Gunne & Oliver first & second choice 9’s unless of injury he would be unlikely to start ?

Yeah but usually a 3rd scrumhalf gets an opportunity over the 6 nations/summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deilf

Yes, looks like he's establishing himself as the no.1 scrumhalf there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Squad named tomorrow as per the42

• Advertisement

Potential 30 man U20 squad:

Prop

Paddy McCarthy(Leinster)

George Hadden(Leinster)

Jack Boal (Ulster)

Fiachna Barrett (Connacht)

Hooker

Gus McCarthy(Leinster)

Danny Sheahan(Munster)

Matthew Victory(Leinster)

Lock

Conor O'Tighnearnaigh(Leinster)

Charlie Irvine(Ulster)

Evan O'Connell(Munster) - u19

Joe Hopes(Ulster) - u19

Backrow

James McNabney(Ulster)

Diarmuid Mangan(Leinster)

Rudhann Quinn(Munster)

Brian Gleeson(Munster) - u19

George Shaw(Exile)

Scrumhalf

Fintan Gunne(Leinster)

Jack Oliver(Munster)

Oscar Cawley(Leinster)

Outhalf

Sam Prendergast(Leinster)

Harry West(Connacht)

Centre

Hugh Gavin(Connacht)

John Devine(Connacht)

Hugh Cooney(Leinster)

Sam Berman(Leinster) - u19

Back Three

James Nicholson(Leinster)

Henry McElrean(Leinster)

Rory Telfer(Ulster)

Ike Anagu(La Rochelle)

Inechi Oji(Munster)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Is Shaw rumoured to be coming to ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Had seen Connacht mentioned before but nothing for ages

Ireland U20s Squad

Prop

George Morris (Gonzaga/Lansdowne/Leinster)

George Hadden (Gorey RFC/Clontarf/Leinster)

Ronan Foxe (Tullamore RFC/Old Belvedere/Leinster)

Fiachna Barrett (Corinthians/Connacht)

Paddy McCarthy (Blackrock/DUFC/Leinster)

Hooker

Gus McCarthy (Blackrock/UCD/Leinster)(captain)

Conall Henchy (Crescent/DUFC/Munster)

Danny Sheahan (PBC/UCC/Munster) - u19

Lock

Conor O’Tighearnaigh (St. Michaels/DUFC/Leinster)

Charlie Irvine (Wallace/Queen’s University/Ulster)

Evan O’Connell (Castletroy/UL Bohemians/Munster) - u19

Joe Hopes (CampbellQueen’s University/Ulster) - u19

Backrow

Jacob Sheahan (PBC/UCC/Munster) - u19

Diarmuid Mangan (Newbridge/UCD/Leinster)

Ruadhán Quinn (Crescent/Old Crescent/Munster)

James McNabney (Cambridge/Ballymena/Ulster)

Brian Gleeson (Rockwell/Garryowen/Munster) - u19

Scrumhalf

Jack Oliver (Castletroy/Garryowen/Munster)

Oscar Cawley (Naas/Naas/Leinster)

Fintan Gunne (St. Michaels/Terenure/Leinster)

Outhalf

Sam Prendergast (Newbridge/Lansdowne/Leinster)

Matthew Lynch (Terenure.DUFC/Leinster)

Harry West (Ballina RFC/Buccaneers/Connacht)

Centre

Sam Berman (St. Michaels/DUFC/Leinster) - u19

Hugh Gavin (Galwegians/Connacht) - u19

Hugh Cooney (Blackrock/Clontarf/Leinster)

John Devine (Corinthians/Connacht)

Back Three

Ike Anagu (La Rochelle/IQ Rugby)

James Nicholson (St. Michaels/UCD/Leinster)

Rory Telfer (Coleraine/Queen’s University/Ulster)

Henry McErlean (St. Michaels/Terenure/Leinster)

Noah Sheridan (Wicklow RFC/Clontarf/Leinster)

• Advertisement

Really strong squad. That squad should have a good shout at contesting for a GS this year (especially the way the fixtures are), and yet still also contains 7 U19s who should be there the following season.

Split is:

Leinster 16

Munster 7 (no Munster backs apart from Jack Oliver at 9)

Connacht 4

Ulster 4

IQ Rugby 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Shame only 1 back from Munster and more from leinster than rest combined.

Karl Martin is overage for this squad.

Yeah only remevered/realised just after I posted. He's a 2002. Point stillsame tho!

Fiachna Barrett is huge, looks to be 6'4/6'5.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

Are Liam Moloney and Ihechi Oji injured? Any other notable omissions?

Liam Molony is injured, pretty sure Ihechi Oji was dropped / not selected.

Other notable omissions I think are Andrew Osborne (injured I believe), George Shaw (not sure what's happening there), Max Dunne (would have been on the fringes and played in some of the warm up games), and possibly Cameron Doak (who I believe is still U19). Also not sure if Daniel Leane of St Mary's was underage for this team or not.

Ihechi isnt. benched for Bohs last week in AIL against Barnhall

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ljsulster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Sean Edogbo was on a lot of people’s radar earlier this season and scored an absolutely flabbergasting try for UCC last weekend. He’s still 19’s but is probably the best athlete eligible for the Irish 20’s.

Oji is the biggest loser from this imo. You’d hope he gets a shot at some stage during the tournament.

• Advertisement

I’m surprised by no Oji. I thought he looked raw but with big upside for the under 19s. I still wouldn’t be surprised if he made their academy.

No Telfer either?

Yeah, that try showed incredible pace and athleticism. I don't think he's been around the squad at all though, and is still a year young for the grade maybe? (I could be wrong on that, but I think he played U18 Clubs last year).

On Oji, I've read some pretty bad reviews of his performances for UL Bohs this year, but haven't seen him in person.

I think it's fair to say the weakest area of this Irish U20s side on paper at the moment is probably from 11-15, so not a good sign that he couldn't push his way in there.

Last year, i thought King should have played every single minute because he was by far and away the highest upside winger (and honestly was my favorite player in the squad). I saw somewhere that his limited minutes were specifically based on being raw defensively.. and i also heard that Oji is an extreme example of that.

Honestly, if i was setting the mandate, I’d want to pick players who project the highest upside. not the ones who are the most rounded now. On that basis, i think Oji should really have been in. However, i think he should still make the academy.

Sean Edogbo is apparently also quite raw but yea under 19s.

It's an interesting point, and connected to a piece I read on another site:

This piece is specifically about GAA, but some very interesting takeaways or readthroughs imo in a rugby context. He's assessing the development of young players based on when they reach maturity or their stage of maturity. Commenting on players who looked dominant at U14s for example, but were simply earlier in their stage of maturation, I.e. already at 100% of their adult height. Interestingly, those sort of players tended to also have skill deficiencies at higher levels too, because they can rely too heavily on athleticism at the younger levels and don't develop the other skills.

I'm in the same place as you when it comes to the U20s - to me it's nice to have success there, but ultimately it's about player assessment and development. A successful Irish U20s side is one that just keeps churning out high quality international players within a year or two, trophies are a by product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭snotboogie

What jumps out to me about Oji is his size. Is someone advising him to put on that weight or is it sloppiness? Look at clips from schools level, he was plenty powerful before he put on the weight and far quicker:

https://youtu.be/Po47_TjqkhI

I know it’s harsh to comment on a kids weight like this but it’s what really jumps out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Saw lancaster talking about something similar. Basically england did away with U16 side. It wasn't an indicator of who was going to push on. Just who was biggest

• Advertisement

Year to year its hard to gauge how good these sides are. We've done well in recent years. Each of the last 4 years have produced some massive talent.

Can't wait to see how these lads fare.

Advertisement