Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ljsulster

who is the Ireland captain?

james mcnabney captained at u19s, has he retained the role at 20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Wont likely know until after 2nd game. I guess. McNabney may well been captain at 19s but always is some who play a 2nd year at 20(and wont have played 19s) who may be looked at ahead of them...

Team to face Leinster Development side named:

15. Henry McErlean (Terenure/Leinster)

14. James Nicholson (UCD/Leinster)

13. Hugh Cooney (Clontarf/Leinster)

12. Hugh Gavin (Galwegians/Connacht)

11. Ike Anagu (La Rochelle/IQ Rugby)

10. Sam Prendergast (Lansdowne/Leinster)

9. Jack Oliver (Garryowen/Munster)

1. George Hadden (Clontarf/Leinster)

2. Gus McCarthy (UCD/Leinster)

3. Paddy McCarthy (DUFC/Leinster)

4. Conor O’Tighearnaigh (UCD/Leinster)

5. Diarmuid Mangan (UCD/Leinster)

6. James McNabney (Ballymena/Ulster)

7. Ruadhan Quinn (Old Crescent/Munster)

8. Brian Gleeson (Garryowen/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Danny Sheehan (UCC/Munster)

17. Jack Boal (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)

18. Fiachna Barrett (Corinthians/Connacht)

19. Evan O’Connell (UL Bohemians/Munster)

20. Jacob Sheehan (UCC/Munster)

21. Fintan Gunne (Terenure/Leinster)

22. Harry West (Buccaneers/Connacht)

23. Rory Telfer (Queen’s University/Ulster)

24. Joe Hopes (Queen’s University/Ulster)

25. John Devine (Corinthians/Connacht)

26. Josh Costello (Shannon/Munster)

Great to see Fintan Gunne on the bench after a long spell injured - serious hype about him on the Leinster side. I'm keen to see Brian Gleeson at 8, as I've only heard good things about him. The 20s look stacked in the back row this year (Diarmuid Mangan, James McNabney, Ruadhan Quinn, Brian Gleeson, Max Dunne).

Most curious to get a look at Ike Anagu on the wing, and see how Sam Prendergast is coming along at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If anyone follows ball handling hooker on twitter, he’s there. 6 players injured in first half already!

Actually maybe 7 or 8.

Ireland won 35-24… game called three minutes early. Hope none of the injuries are too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Harry West and Hugh Gavin two try scorers apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Gavin looks to be a really big center in the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Very surprising, scored 4 tries today vs RBAI who are often the standard setters up north

I was at it. Entertaining game at times, with some lovely offloading from both sides, but equally quite disjointed with both sides guilty of forcing things a bit too much at times.

I didn't recognise quite a few of the Leinster Development subs and some of their starting side, but believe a lot of the wider U20s were featuring for them.

Impressive for Ireland for me were Ruadhan Quinn, Sam Prendergast, Brian Gleeson & Gus McCarthy. Fintan Gunne had some nice moments too when introduced. Impressive for Leinster were Aitzol King, Ben Brownlee and (I think) Max Dunne at blindside flanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Munstermunch

Any of the injuries of a serious nature? Heard Costello went off on crutches

• Advertisement

Yeah, Costello's and Ben Murphy's probably looked the most severe - he was only on about 10 mins (Costello). A few guys who've had some injury problems this season like Conor O'Tighearnaigh and Fintan Gunne picked up knocks too. Plenty of others that didn't look overly serious (but very hard to tell).

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Purist98

Not sure about today or the Italian game but Conor O'Tighearnaigh was captain for the game against Munster Development.

Is he the guy who’s also a really good GAA guy (i forget which game)? Is he commited to rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

Yes he is on the Cork senior hurling panel for 2023. He is a very good hurler too, should be breaking into the starting team in the next year or two, if he wants to concentrate on it.

Interesting. He would be a big get then. Hopefully they can get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wow. Decent result.

Delighted to see Gunne.

The squad announcement should be fun. I fully expect the 4 lads from last year to be included. McNabney, O' Tigheraigh, Prendergast and Mangan.

From last year's u19's, I thought Gleeson was the pick of the bunch. He should make the squad! Quinn will too. But then there's really good prospects like Liam Molony and Max Dunne, who may miss the boat.

Hadden looked a proper prospect in the summer series as did Irvine. It's tough to gauge what this squad will look like.

I think Gleeson is still under 19s if that makes any difference.

Yeah, the four from last season will be cornerstone players I imagine. McNabney is a quality operator, and Mangan is a huge unit. He looks big enough to jump straight to senior rugby.

Gleeson was good at 8, and I'd be surprised if he's not involved, but probably not in the first choice XV as all three of McNabney, Mangan and Ruadhan Quinn look elite (unless they use Mangan in the second row).

Ruadhan Quinn could have been the stand out player yesterday for me - has a real spark to him and a Sean O'Brien like burst of power / acceleration onto the ball. O'Brien is actually the player I would most compare him to when I think about it. Maybe that's too high a ceiling, but he's a quality footballer and a power athlete.

Max Dunne was playing for Leinster but was really good (as was the openside, from Old Wesley (O'Hare I think). I heard yesterday that Liam Molony is injured.

• Advertisement

Final post on this game - both Irish U20s out halves looked good.

Sam Prendergast is a pretty incredible athlete. He's 6ft 3 or possibly bigger, but seems to still have very good footwork, balance and pace. Ireland U20s had a really nice shape to their attack on a couple of occasions when he was there, where he was picking nice options in crowded passing channels. He reminded me a bit of Harry Mallinder (who looked a super player at 20s and won a JWC, but hasn't pressed on since then) in style, in that he's big and rangy but still seems to have a lot of skill and talent to him.

He outplayed Charlie Tector (who albeit was behind a more makeshift pack), but who didn't really shine yesterday.

Harry West (went to school in King's Hospital) brought a real spark to things as well. He made a couple of nice line breaks and took his try well (after a good linebreak from the excellent Fintan Gunne). If I were a Connacht fan I'd be optimistic on West.

Finally, first proper time seeing Fintan Gunne in the flesh and he justified the hype. Electric player - looked to create something almost every time he touched the ball. Some really nice snipes as well, and his pass looked to have good range on it.

It can be hard to tell at this level, but he looks to be a serious prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rugbylover1972

Great intel Fresh to Death

thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donnybrook1

Any word on Shay McCarthy, would have thought he would be involved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Munstermunch

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kita99

Are tight head members good?

At last season,I remember McGuire was excellent.Who is good this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tftsteph

Paddy McCarthy will be starting tighthead, how he will do in the scrums it TBD, he is a powerful but undersized tighthead who might end up at loosehead as a pro.

After that Fiachna Barrett is a converted backrow from Connacht, who looks like the primary backup, he has struggled in the scrum in the warmups.

No sign of two ulster tightheads in Cameron Doak and Joe Charles which is surprising, possibly injury related, another option is Ronan Foxe from Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kita99

Thank you very much.I understood current status by above comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deilf

One player that is constantly sailing just under the radar is the other u20 Leinster sub-academy scrumhalf Oscar Cawley (played for Ireland in the last two development matches off the bench). Had a very good match for Leinster, came on early for Ben Murphy after his injury - almost straight away box-kicked a 50-22 to almost the 5 meter line, scored an excellent try (kick through, chase and touch down) and put in a solid defensive effort. Doesn't have the same hype machine as Gunne behind him (came through the Leinster club system) but obviously Leinster see him as a prospect. Very little between him and Gunne imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tftsteph

Yeah Cawley is certainly underrated, he will certainly get a chance to impress for the 20s. I see he is starting for Naas today.

• Advertisement

How many are in the squad? When will it be announced?

Advertisement