Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The thing is will you need 100% of the cars range every single day? I doubt it..

Of course I will charge my car to 100% when I know I'll use a large chink of that power almost immediately, or if I know I'm going into a charging wilderness..... The thing is those occasions only occur once every few months or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

The main thing is not to charge to 100% and regularly leave it at 100% for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭innrain

3rd party apps are usually more expensive. Get ESB and EasyGo for their own chargers.

Plugshare, community driven, is the main source of information ref chargers. Like wikipedia you can get and add info. Chargers are rated based on the activity, you can check pictures of the location to help find the charger. There is a function where you can chat with the users. Zap-map a bit more UK-centric.

There will be some other odd apps/networks usually at hotels and/or shopping centers. I use podpoint in Dundrum SC (those non-ESB from level2 red carpark), Plugsurfing at Blanch red entrance(?), ePower at some hotels. Ubicitry at Malahide and DLR lamppost, to name a few.

Ionity is on many different apps but they have their own. There is a whole thread about them

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭dingbat

Thanks so much.

So in the immediate term, sign up for ESB and EasyGo and work with PlugShare.

We'll start to work it out :-)

Plugshare is great for finding a charger you might need to use somewhere off the beaten track, or close to a particular destination you might visit, and the information contained in Plugshare will tell you what if any app you'd need to use a particular charger, or how you would pay etc....... but as you say, the main ones are ESB eCars & EasyGo (I'd recommend a prepay account for both, and maybe lodge €20-€30 in the ESB one and just leave the card* they send in the car).

Depending on your route, you might need to use Ionity, and depending on the car you're getting, you might have a manufacturer discount card, or you might have to be a non affiliated user, meaning you pay their very expensive rates. There are a number of providers that give access to Ionity... there's Ionity themselves, and some others like ChargePoint (that's who I'm with), though with Ionity, it seems a new provider shows up every few months offering really good rates, only for the rates to then increase to close to standard Ionity (high) rates again.... I was signed up with 4 different providers for Ionity before I actually ever used Ionity for the 1st time!!!

*apps are fine for the most part, but if there were ever network issues, having a physical card is invaluable... eCars card is sent for free, EasyGo fob needs to be paid for. I have an eCars card, but don't have the EasyGo fob.

• Advertisement

This is a VW specific question, apologies. Their WeConnect ID app comes with a WeCharge plan type of thing. Why do I need that if I can just have my own ESB and EasyGo accounts?

I believe the WeCharge card is primarily for use with the Ionity charging network, so you'll get decent rates with them as opposed to if you were a standard Ionity customer.

Sometimes people prefer just one card/provider. And it is fine if you use it once in a blue moon. If you are a heavy user you can sign up for Go or Plus plans which have a monthly fee but are cheaper overall especially for Ionity.

I just looked up prices and DC charging for the free plan is 76c/kWh on 3rd party networks and Ionity is 73c/kWh . That is around 30c or 2/3 dearer per kWh. Even on the Plus plan DC is more expensive but the overstay begins after 90 mins.

yeah we'll be only very occasional users of Ionity. So should we just get an account directly with Ionity and ignore this wecharge thing entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You should signup for the WeCharge one also. Just go for the free plan. WeCharge is international and has agreements with multiple providers, not just Ionity.

You might never use it but if you signup for the PAYG plan it will cost you nothing until the day you actually need it and you might be glad of it then.

And if you own an ID car you will have the app already on your phone anyway so its not even an extra app to download/update etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What's the story with battery heating? It's an option in the settings, I've seen one video about turning it on before you get to a fast charger to help speed it up.

But is that the only use? Is there a need to turn it on on a cold morning for just driving? Would it help with range or would the power taken to heat it offset that?

To get the max charging speed at a fast DC charging you need a warm battery. That's primarily what the battery heating is for.

However, on a very cold day, you will also have restricted power from the car if the battery is very cold, so some cars will heat the battery to an operating temperature that allows max driving power. It doesn't heat it to the same level as required for max charging speed but just enough to give you max power.

It will affect your range, unless the heating is done while plugged in at home, in which case the heating comes from your house electricity.

In most cases you just let the car manage the whole thing itself. Its not something you worry about but it depends on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,178 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@KCross - "In most cases you just let the car manage the whole thing itself. Its not something you worry about but it depends on the car."

This is the important bit, you don't really need to worry about any of these things yourself, the car will manage it for you. An extreme example is the batteries in most Chinese EVs and in base model Teslas are of the LiFePO4 chemistry, which will be destroyed very quickly if you ever tried to charge them when the pack is below zero celsius. But again, the cars won't let you do this.

Agree with both comments but, when speaking about Tesla, it is good practice to let the car know you intend to charge. On a long drive it is worth adding the SuC as intermediate destination in the navigation instead of popping up there on a whim. Even when charging at non Tesla chargers it is good idea to navigate to the charger instead of simply showing up. I did some tests in the winter and for few minutes the car redirected good kW from the charger for warming up the battery. Now that I have the SuC in my back garden I could do more tests preconditioned vs not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There is a button for it so I presume it has some real world use. But since you can't pre heat the battery from the app for a cold morning, it must be just for a fast charge in cold weather so it gets up to max speed faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Has anybody any experience with extension cables for their tethered home chargers such as this one, do they work well?

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/extension-cables/products/type-2-extension-cable-5-meter-16-32-amp

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

This charger has a 7.5m cable as standard if you haven’t installed yet and would stretch the distance

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/ev-home-chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Preconditioning of the battery, especially LFP in colder weather is an absolute must and absolutely will make a massive difference to charging speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I use an extension cable on a 32a CEE evse as one of my two regular home chargers with no issue.

• Advertisement

"Do I have to pay for parking while I am charging my electric car?" The answer is that it depends on the local council. In this video, Inge tries to explain and gives you a handy link to bookmark.

There is a new EasyGo fast charge point in Mallow, but you won't find it on any maps, at least not in the correct location. Watch this video if you want to know where to find it!

In this video, Guillaume reviews the Renault Megane E-Tech. How does it compare to his own Tesla Model 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Picked up my new Tiguain PHEV last week and have a couple of questions that are probably fairly dumb but anyway;

1. We've priced up getting a proper EV charger in our house. House is old and requires about 3k worth of work to support an EV charger. We'll be looking at extending the house in a few years which will require a re-wire and possibly move where the charger is. Would we be better off just getting an external socket and granny charging? I have access to proper chargers in work so don't expect to use the granny charger all that much other than the odd weekend or week I don't go into the office
    2. Public charging points - whats the best option for access to the most chargers? I don't expect to use them very often if at all but would like to have the option if we are away for a while or going to leave the car parked up somewhere for a few hours. Is it considered bad form to leave PHEV plugged in at these?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know about being ICED at a public charge point but is there one for being blocked by a PHEV who can't charge fast connecting to a super fast charge point when they could just plug into another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Does this happen often? Considering that most super fast CCS charge points are "tethered" then I would imagine that the connector will not fit in a PHEV seeing as most of them only have a type 2 socket on them. Pulling into the charger spot and not connecting anything, should have a penalty applied on it for sure though.

1. Thats a tough one since you could be doing redundant work now if you are doing an extension in a few years. If you were not doing the extension or if it was, say, 10 years out before you were doing it I'd say spend the €3k and get it done (draw the charge point grant also which will likely be gone "soon") ... but its really only you can answer it based on your finances and future plans.

I do think though that you need a home charge point. Having a charge point at work is great but that potentially means alot of your commute into work is on petrol, particularly if you have done other driving the previous evening. I think you'll be looking at <40km EV range on that car in winter. How long is your commute?

Granny cable charging is ok as a short term solution but you shouldn't really rely on that long term and its also likely that your next car will be a BEV rather than a PHEV which means the granny cable wouldn't likely cut it then, so you'd have to bite the bullet at that point.

Lots of variables here! I guess you can try out the granny cable for a while and see how you go. It will take about 5hrs to charge that car on granny cable.

2: An eCars account would give you access to the majority of the 22kW AC charge points around the country. Its fine to charge your PHEV on those AC units. Its what they are designed for. The honourable thing to do is to move once fully charged. There is no expectation that you move immediately, just as quickly as you can.

Did you asked the installer for only the 16A or 3.6kW charger? Maybe you don't need upgrading. You can buy a charging point that works for both 3.6kW/7.2kW the later being the most used/sold ones. Your car maxes out at 3.6kW so the wires required should be smaller.

Here an example. (I do not endorse or represent the company. They were the first result on google)

Forgot to answer second point.

Public charging for your car is covered 99% by ESB and easygo. Both on prepay, both quite expensive. There will be some other smaller players especially at hotels. but probably you can register on the spot if you need them.

Regarding the form, the car charges on AC only. So you will not charge on the motorway stations at least in theory. However, ESB installs some legacy AC chargers on the same place with DC chargers, in a very stupid layout of 4 plugs/3spaces or similar. If used inconsiderately some AC user drawing 3.6kW might block an 150kW plug. Is not that they do something wrong but it mounts frustration for the others. If you charge at AC only points you use the system as intended although some might comment in this situation as well. My experience with PHEVs it is limited to 2 rentals I had last year for around a week each. One Skoda Octavia and another Audi A6. Skoda I managed to charge twice and while on electric it was a nice ride. With the A6 I didn't have anything handy to charge so I just lugged its battery around Germany with no benefit. Overall my opinion is that it is too much hassle to charge in public for very little return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Thanks for the replies all, will take it all on board.

My commute is only about a 1km really and most of my journeys are <10k total during the week. At the weekend i might go a bit further afield. I had originally wanted full BEV but couldn't get one for January so went with this, range is about 45KM at the moment which would I'm hoping will get me through the week on electric mode. Driving it in that mode has just cemented that the next car will be BEV though, lovely to drive in that mode so that does sort of lead me to the conclusion of getting the charger installed sooner rather than later. Don't know exactly when we'll do the extension but it probably will be in 3-4 years time the way things are with building at the moment.

I'll make sure to avoid those types of fast chargers so but in all likelihood i'll probably just use the petrol engine rather than stop for too long to charge the car.

Advertisement