Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Everything you always wanted to know about electric vehicle (but were afraid to ask)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭sh81722

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hopefully the bumper stays the correct colour....ohh wait, that's the Premium BMW Grill Bumper that's destroyed by cleaning products! Wrong Thread.

Hopefully the EGR doesn't catch fire, ohh wait, that's the Premium BMW thread.

Hopefully the

Every manufacturer has outlier issues. Your brother must have rallied his car for the bumper to fall off as its the only occurrence in Ireland!

The funny thing is, out of the Tesla and the 530e in my house at the moment, the 530e is the only car that has left the owner strandard while out driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8985987/amp/Tesla-issues-two-recalls-covering-9-500-U-S-vehicles-NHTSA.html

Well it did happen to us, i am aware that this has happened in other countries…… also saw another one with the vinyl seats tearing, but i’ll just say they're perfect and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

So they all drove through water and it ripped the rear bumper off. Yeah, sounds about right to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What kind of submarine can't take a little water.

It’s an optional extra which many don’t pick. Sure with the panel gaps, it wouldn’t be the best under water 👀👀👀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

2 BEVs household 2019 and 2021. 80,000 km driven in 3 years. Less than normal due to... We have no home charger, but I can charge at work. Absolutely no issue. Never queued for a charger. I may have had to change some charging plans but didn't queue. Needs more planning than with ICE definitely but it fits with my OCD anyway. As lifestyle changes I would choose Tesco over Dunnes if not much hassle, more to punish the later for not caring at all than in appreciation of the slow chargers. I would choose hotels/restaurants providing chargers but without rebate over the scope of the visit. I may choose to walk from the charger instead of spending time to park in the front of the door.

Just back from a trip on the continent where I rented my first HEV, a Renault Arkana brand new. All members of the family appreciated the return to non-premium China made car. Some marveled it was warm and have room to stretch their legs, some that it has charging facility in the back, some the autopilot feature which let you relax after few crazy 100s km driving and hours on the airports and planes. Some that there was a software update waiting, software update which downloaded on the drive home. I don't know how premium cars feel like but I know we missed the EVs and the HEV didn't spark any interest to any of us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That reminds me of the Elon comment on a water boat/road Tesla when he was asked about one a few years back.

Nothing would surprise me with that guy, small market but he probably has a few R&D guys working away on it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bop1977

Hi all. New to this battery stuff. I have a superb PHEV. I have two questions.

1 how does the toll tag rebate/discount work. I have a tag and signed up for the levti thing with eflow. Is the 50% off peak based on the 3.20? rate or is it 50% of the 2.10 tag rate?

2 any recommendations for a home charge installation company. I have the grant emails from seai ready to go.

tia,

bop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The discount is off the tag rate. I wouldn't go with eflow, their admin is a mess and you have to be lucky to get your discount. At the end of the month. Maybe. With tolltag.ie / parkmagic your discount is immediately applied as you drive through the toll

Nigel Daly is the top installer of charge points, he is good, operates nationwide, but he is not cheap.

But realistically any electrician should be able to install a charge point, it is nothing different from a powerful outdoor waterproof socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

But wouldn't you be happier if you'd paid 15k more for a premium, smaller, slower, less efficient EV, with the worst grille ever seen?

Imagine how good the i4 could have been of bmw actually put some effort in. It’s a great car now, but if they had of put the effort that they put into the i3, then it could have taken over the segment. The transmission tunnel in the EV is a bug bear of mine. Lazy design by bmw knowing that bmw sheep will just buy it for the badge and ignore it’s short comings. The charging flap still has the fuel cap holder on it. Little things like that, if it was ground up EV it wouldn’t be there.

my guess is this is their entry into mainstream EV production. Their next car will be more thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

Has anyone here rented an EV abroad (specifically France)? Do the hire companies generally give you a cable capable of being plugged into a normal socket? I'm considering renting an EV this summer but won't be near a charger in the place we're staying so being able to charge at the house will be essential. Also when hire companies say 'or similar' on the booking page does that mean a car of a similar range? I don't want to book and then find that the car we get has a lot less range than what we were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

Rented a Mazda EV "or similar" in CH in March. Got a Leaf 62kWh which had both cables. I used only the type2 at the hotel. I was overcharged a full petrol tank though and the guy at the till was pretty clueless ref EVs. He said the battery it is at 100% and I have to return it at 100%. It was at 80% at the pick up and return it with 86%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Question: Has anybody imported a second hand EV recently? The 2 most likely markets are GB and Japan for obvious reasons, both non-EU countries? Just wondering how it went for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Inge drives his Tesla Model S 75 to Killarney and is pleasantly surprised when he sees his consumption stats. He also tells you how much battery drain to expect when using Sentry Mode.

12.3kWh/100km, Jaysus! You should post that pic in the Tesla Model S thread.

Thanks to EasyGo there is now finally a fast charge point in Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I take it from the picture, that 25 kW is available for chademo while the other side is getting nearly 43 kW? Thats nice if its the case.

• Advertisement

That's my interpretation also. I think the other car was an e-Niro in this case.

Since our previous video on this topic in early April, Tesla has opened up select superchargers in Austria, Belgium, Spain, Sweden and the UK in addition to the already open superchargers in France, the Netherlands and Norway. Also, more superchargers in Norway are now open to non-Teslas.

Inge visited Norway recently, and in this video he investigates how this pilot is going in Norway by visiting the superchargers at Øyrane Torg in Arna three times in two weeks and talking to Tesla owners.

He also tells you about charging in Norway on Recharge charge points. If you think ESB ecars is expensive, wait until you see the Norwegian prices!

In this video, Inge explains why Tesla's current implementation of waypoints is a big improvement.

The lack of physical buttons for many common tasks can be a challenge for new Tesla owners, so here are some voice commands that every Tesla owner should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

How much does it cost on night rate to charge an EV per KWH?

So if I had a Tesla model 3 (big if!) how much would it cost to go from say 20% to 100% on the night rate with electric ireland for example?

Depends on your contract and your supplier.

Also depends on what version of what car you have. You mention Model 3, so let’s assume the base 60 kWh LFP battery.

Also, let’s assume night rate is 10c per kWh for ease of calculations.

Rough example, ignoring charging losses etc is battery size x kWh rate. So I’m the above example it’s 60x10=€6 for a full charge which will get you very close to 400km.

20% to 80% = 36x10=€3.60.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In my 2020 SR+ (~50kWh battery), 20% - 80% is around 40kWh

my EI night rate is around €0.12

20% - 100% would cost me €4.80*

*over the last 3 weeks I’ve only put in 12kWh charging from the grid, so around €1.50. All the rest in that same period came from my Solar PV system (around 80kWh or 650km). Car is sitting on the driveway at 78%, so no need to charge up tonight for tomorrow’s driving, and then from Monday onwards I’d be hopeful of putting 10-20% in per day from Solar excess…..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Also just wondering what sort of repayments people have on their EV’s?

Im seriously considering taking the plunge but I’m trying to figure out will I be worse off when I factor in the repayment.

I need something with plenty of range, ie model 3, ID4, KIA EV6 etc due to site visits approx 200 kms away (one way) which would take place all year (so winter range).

Id be doing 25k kms at least per year so I presume that rules out pcp due to mileage limits?

• Advertisement

@tom1ie - is that mostly motorway driving? None of those cars can do 400km motorway driving at 120km/h in winter without having to charge, so that's the end of the road for you there I'm afraid. Unless you are happy to stop for a fast charge on the way. Depends very much on your routes I suppose and on how often you make those trips.

@AndyBoBandy - charging from excess solar PV is bloody marvelous. I upgraded this week to a zappi (at a cost of minus €120 😂) and I have it set to eco +, with zero import from the grid allowed. I plan to charge both my EVs near 100% from the sun until autumn (I do have a rather large PV setup for someone in a small semi-d in a Dublin suburb)

Advertisement