Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Star Trek thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

Early 90s Sky One was great for a Star Trek fan with TNG/TOS/DS9 every weekday at 1700 repeated at 2200, and yes I did watch it at both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,842 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Between school and then homework \ study, that 1700 episode was my oasis from the Leaving Cert slog :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I was in first class when I started watching it daily. Communion money for my own TV was a wise investment and my dad split the cable tv to my bedroom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I forgot "spitting the cable" was a thing.

We had Sky through Westward Cables in Limerick at the time.

Speaking of splitting the cable. "The cable connecting Cork to the Comeragh Mountains was 100 km (60 mi) in total: the longest cable TV route ever built in Europe"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yup, cablelink it was so, NTL must have been a later rebrand! I think for a while I was bouncing between Sky and the BBC watching episodes. As far as I recall the new ones were Sky, and I could watch older ones I missed on BBC, until Sy started doing the two Trek episodes back to back 4pm-6pm on weekdays

• Advertisement

Getting very off topic for Star Trek but did anyone else's cable do free Sky Movies weekends a few times a year? It was a great opportunity to fire up the long play VCRs and tape movies all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

What I remember, Sky One was where you went for the new airings of Trek episodes, and BBC got stuff that was a couple seasons back. Similar to what we had for The Simpsons.

This is one innovation of Digital TV that I instantly disliked. Suddenly the splitter to my TV was pointless unless I had my own decoder, and in the case of the likes of Sky Digital, my own decoder card. I had missed the ability to just tune in the channels on any capable TV that was connected to the Co-ax.

Now I wish I had thought of that…

My first Trek movie collection comprised of an official VHS of First Contact, and the earlier Trek movies home-made on VHS by having the STOP and REC buttons ready on a *hair-trigger* at each ad-break whenever one of TOS movies would air. (To make a seemless ad-free recording…naturally) I think I managed to get the lot in the end.

I'm pretty sure I had all the Star Trek films up to First Contact taped from the TV too.

I was a master of the VHS ad break. I used to confound my sisters by stopping the tape and then fast forwarding, because it was faster, and having the end of the bumper on when I pressed play again. I noticed they were exactly 4 minutes on Sky at the time and I was just watching the timer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a really important point you made: many of these TV aggregate scores are based off of "reviews" of a couple of episodes and manys show righted its growing pains by season's end. Same with user reviews: how many were from those who bailed after a ropey first couple of episodes, the impulsive 1/10 not fairly reflective?

nine or twelve channels!!!

I thought we were doing well in Monaghan with our 6 channels, getting the UK channels on-top of poxy 'aul RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

We just had Poverty One and Poverty Two

I had cable until I was 14 when we moved. Cable was RTE1, Network 2, BBC1, BBC2, UTV, Channel 4, Sky One, Sky News, MTV, QVC (switched to TV3 when that launched), Cartoon Network/TNT split 12 hours each, and TnaG as far as I remember.

After moving it was the four Irish channels and the 5 UK ones from Wales. There was one Sky box eventually but that was my mostly what my parents wanted to watch during Prime time.

If you lived in the Southeast and got UK tv from Wales TV3 and TG4 had terrible reception because the UHF aerial had to be pointed in the opposite direction to the Irish broadcast to receive the UK channels at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

<cough> When I were a lad, 😉 after walking barefoot, six miles uphill, each way, eating a bag of gravel for the dinner and then switching on the old wooden monster in the corner, waiting 3 minutes for the valves to warm up and waiting for this to disappear so I could watch the ONLY channel available ... RTE ... no 1, no 2, just RTE ... and yes, keeping on topic, I watched TOS in B&W, when RTE syndicated it in the early 70s, I think it was on around 4:30 or 5:00pm.

As for Westward Cable, we had that thing split three ways in our house 😁. Who remembers the first movie that was encrypted on Sky Movies?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do gotta laugh how this segue is kinda revealing how old this forum's most prominent users are 😂

Whilst I wouldn't normally subscribe to the whole "the young have it so easy" kind of old-fogey perspective ... I do think there's something potentially unhealthy for childrens' development that generations now have instant gratification in so many aspects of media.

Even at 2 years old, my little one knows that mum/dad's phone can show him videos of whales and airplanes; back in the day, kid's TV was between a very definitive set of hours, then that's it. At a pinch, VHS existed but it was still an opt-in process. Now? YouTube, streaming services and so on offer 24/7 entertainment for kids. I know there's the concept of "screentime" now with modern parenting, but at least Fadó Fadó in Ancient Ireland, after 5:30pm that was it - no more kid's TV.

This type of forum is skewed older anyway the kids are all on that there Discord and the TikToks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Folks, go easy with the memories, I'm nostalgia-ing hard 😁

Tiktoks.. back in mah day..

Also, I mentioned these "Thick thocks" is it? to one of the youngers before Christmas and that also now seems to be an oldies thing with BeReal being the real deal..

I was absolutely in the dark.

In mah day, social media was Bebo, new music came from Myspace, and we were happy.

Well.

We weren't, it was shíte but still better than what Twitter has become.

I dunno, the whole instant gratification thing has it's advantages. I remember one summer finding the VHS where I had Best of Both Worlds taped from RTE back in the day and it was like manna from heaven since there was a small collection of season 7, I think at that stage it had been years since I'd been able to watch it. I'd absolutely dread if Netflix had the ability to show you how much time you spent watching particular series/shows/episodes. I can think of several where I must have worn the tape out on Netflix servers!

Something I wish Netrflix et al would do is allow you to put a few series into a special list and give you the option to play episodes in that list at random. Sometimes when I want to put an episode of Star Trek or something on in the background I spend way too much time picking the episode.

• Advertisement

At least back then if you had an argument because you hate Discovery it was only with your friends and you and you didn't get a million racist homophobes giving you the kind of back up you really didn't want.

Oh **** yes. I could **** on its merits, or lack there of, and

1. Not be labelled a homophobic, racist, misogynist

2. Not have actual homophobic, racist, misogynists fight "my" corner

Jesus no! I've been trying to getting around to cancelling Netflix, not having it playing constant Trek in the background all day. Divorces are expensive apparently.

So the big reveal is Beverly got a little hot under the collar on seeing Picard in his prime (Shinzon) and she jumped his bones during the E's refit and then disappeared to have a secret child, right?

That would make Wesley's half brother a good 35 years younger than him which given the life expectancy in the Federation might not be all that uncommon but still weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,553 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I heard Picard has been left open so if Patrick Stewart wants to or is up to a 4th and 5th season it's possible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They're going to feck this up, aren't they?

Picard got fecked up 2 seasons ago; that ship has sailed 😂

Yeah but this is Picard TNG. Whole different beast to kill all over again.

Is Beverly really going to pull a Carol Marcus on us? We know how Picard was feeling about family from Generations and the loss of René.

Need to send this lad off to have a chat with Patrick Stewart.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but then if we're just talking TNG era? The latter-day movies also ensured Picard has been fecked up before the show came along 🤣

Advertisement