Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah ok. I don't really follow PRO so didn't realize it was back already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Going back to do yet another watch through of VOY to tide me over until SNW next year. Flipped a coin between VOY and Babylon 5 and Janeway came out on top. Tried to persist with DIS or PIC but felt like a chore rather than enjoyable entertainment. Even tried the new Quantum Leap but that was also a bust. I shall stay living in the past until SNW returns!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe no stick with QL it gets really good. Some great episodes in it.

I think if I was looking for something to tide me over untill SNW us back it would be between DS9 and TNG.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I've recently finished a DS9 and TNG run through so dipping back to VOY.

I think I lasted 3 episodes into QL, but found it such a poor comparison to the original. Is it worth persisting with?

Ms

Yes it is worth persisting with. It had a good Halloween episode and the episode before it was very good too. No doubt it is different to the original but I think it has potential.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah once you accept it's not the original it's an enjoyable leap of the week series. As I said in the show thread, I was one of the doubters and I'll admit I was wrong.

I shall give it another shot this week in that case. VOY can wait!

Ms

I would love to see Naglim make an appearance in Lower Decks. He featured in episode two of season two. That was a decent episode that.

I wonder how many times was the Enterpris-D neatly destroyed before it eventually was how many times did they use self destruct to nearly destroy it too? Anyone know.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ms

So whoever wrote this obviously does not Have a clue what they are on about but hay it's on Screen Rant so I am not surprised.

The Enterprise B lol on the Original series not unless it's from an alternate reality lol not in this reality he was not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Ms

A very bad one who obviosly hasn't a clue thats what. Unless whoever wrote it if it was a person came from an alternate reality or universe lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Heh

And they said Elon Musk wouldn't start allowing fake news on Twitter 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Heh heh (posted on Michael Houghs instagram story)

Ms

So I am just watching DS9s 'The Visitor " episode. I know it probably did not happen as Jake fixed it and all but then maybe it did happen in an alternate reality.

So do you think in that alternate reality without Commander Sisko that the Federation and the Dominion still went to war and if so do you think the Dominion would have won in that one? Also maybe Jadzia does not die in that reality or maybe she dies sooner?Who knows.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The way that future played out it seems like there wasn't enough of the Alpha Quadrant-ish powers united to be a threat to the Dominion so they probably only had changeling infiltrators stirring the pot every so often

Without Sisco there is a good chance S31 still poison all the Founders.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

Ms

Ye maybe. Jadzia and Bashir are still around but old and Nog too.

So ye maybe the Dominion never seen any of the other powers as a threat at least not yet so there had been no big war yet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Broken Link comes a good bit after the Visitor so Odo might never have gone to the Founders home world to spread the virus. I don't remember off hand if Odo is even mentioned in the alternate future segments.

Ms

No ODO is not mentioned in "The Visitor" at all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I've started a rewatch of DS9 from the beginning in conjunction with the "Greatest Gen" podcast working through DS9. I've just finished S1 and even though it naturally had a wobbly first season I was struck by the quality of the episode "Duet". For a simple two hander story it feels like an episode coming much later in the show's run. The performances from both Visitor and Yulin were great - I especially liked how Yulin switched back and forth between the personas of Marritza and Darheel. I don't think any other Trek series has such a good episode in their first season.

On a side note when the "Greatest Gen" podcast begins watching DS9 they make lots of references to their new podcast "Friendly Fire" which is about to start. It's hard to hear the optimism in their voices given how that show fell apart at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Feckin love that Greatest Gen pod though. Was lucky enough to catch it from pretty much the start, TNG Season 3 I think by the time I caught up to real-time, and now I'm actually doing a re-listen of TNG (on S05E09) along with the weekly Voyager episode and Prodigy at the moment on Greatest Trek.

It's good, fun, easy listening. And Trek.

Ms

I don't think any other Trek series has such a good episode in their first season.

I guess you have not watched"Strange New Worlds" then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

None of the SNW episodes come anywhere close to "Duet". I'm always shocked when I see that it's a S1 episode. It feels like the peak seasons DS9 stuff.

SNW has probably got the strongest first season overall of any Trek series. But on a one-for-one basis "Duet" is a better single episode. It really does feel like an episode you'd get 3 or 4 seasons into the show. A lot of the quality is simply the emotional performances from Visitor and Yulin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was wondering if Duet was the one with the Cardassian war criminal cos yeh, hot damn that was a stellar, Best Of Episode quite soon in an otherwise patchy first season.

Strange New Worlds has been an incredibly strong season of adventure stories, but just in terms of a quality script, idea and execution Duet is up there with the best of TV, let alone Trek. You could easily fashion a version of it without the Sci-Fi aspect entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

17:00 Legend channel is showing TOS from the start again, starting with

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

Making my way through S2 of DS9 and just finished "Invasive Procedures" where the Dax symbiont is taken from Jadzia into Verad. It was fun seeing Tim Russ pop up as a klingon mercenary and John Glover gives a good "before & after" performance as the host Verad. I have to say the Dax symbiont itself does not come out of the episode in a good light. It seemed to show only passing regard for the fact that its previous host Jadzia was going to die. Now, that's partially down to the personality of the new host Verad but it does make Dax seem a bit heartless.

Advertisement