Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Yeah, that can happen all right.

For example I would say this describes the implementation of the whole 2+1 road type in Ireland. Ideally 2+1 roads would have been a great solution for many less busy mainline routes but having driven the N24 implementation many times it was and still is one of the most appalling roads to drive and based on those the whole concept has been dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

2+1 section on the Cork - mallow road probably the most anger inducing section of road I can think of.

People will do 80kph on the single section but will suddenly jump to 110kph on the 2 lane sections, especially if they think you might want to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

If it’s any consolation, it’s not deliberate. The narrow 1-lane sections cause people to slow down because there’s a hard barrier to their right, even though the limit is 100; when the road opens up, the drivers resume their “free speed” which may be above the posted limit.

The same principle is used to reduce traffic speed around junction complexes without having to post a lower speed limit for a short distance. Since this recent change to Carrol’s Cross on N25 (N25 - Google Maps) pretty much every car now travels through here at around 80 km/h, even though a 100 km/h speed limit still applies.

(Before the re-works, this was a really dangerous set of junctions, with through-traffic regularly shooting through at over 100 km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That little section of the N25 is a shocking mess of minor junctions. Kilmacthomas bypass to the Luffany roundabout at the start of the Waterford bypass should be 2+2 and that little bit there should probably all be tacked onto one roundabout on the mainline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Since this part of the Macroom bypass has opened I have driven from Killarney to Dublin twice going via Cork. I guess it is a longer drive, I'm not even 100% sure if it is quicker but I just can't face the holdups in Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest and Adare. This will become a much better option once the Ballyvourney section and the Dunkettle junction works are completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

What's the schedule for the remaining sections of this project? http://www.n22bbm.ie/ says the 22km stretch will be "completed by mid 2023"

Is that still accurate or achievable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

From killarney id sooner go via fermoy even with the ghastly N72. If times not a problem fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Christ I’d be amazed. Seems to be really getting close to completion now with the tricky bits west of the Bohill bridge almost done.

If I were to guess I’d say Q2 for Macroom-Ballyvourney and Q3 for the section around Ballyvourney

• Advertisement

Further upthread there was someone saying the opposite... Ballyvourney bypass possibly first (June/July) followed by the middle bit. But most likely the rest of it at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

The road looks in good shape overall in the video, add 5 - 6 months to this and you would think another section of it will be ready to open. The video stops before it gets to the temporary roundabout at the western end of the Macroom section but it looks like they have a good stretch of this tarmacked from passing.

Hat tip to Ed O'Sullivan for posting on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

No disrespect to Ballyvourney residents but I was also looking forward to this being my last winter passing through the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭EarWig

I'd take the new route and then return to the Abbey Hotel. I always found that to be an excellent place to stop for food.

Finally used the new bypass today, after having planned to do it Day 1 and life getting in the way.

What a nice piece of road. Wasn't as scenic as expected but was very functional with a good surface.

The only thing I will say: My return journey, Killarney - Cork was at night. And just here -> https://goo.gl/maps/BnDgCoU8sB2NSmci7 you'll see a minor road just off the eastbound carriageway which is newly built, joining two other minor roads east/west. With the dip in the N22 eastbound at that point, everything lines up almost perfectly such that a car travelling westbound on that minor road looks like it is driving westbound along the eastbound N22 carriageway. Nearly gave me a heart attack!

The other thing I will say is that I thought people were being less stupid with the overtaking coming into Ballyvourney from the west, or going along around Ovens, because there is now 9km of overtaking opportunity and less need to get around a slow lorry.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The only thing I will say: My return journey, Killarney - Cork was at night. And just here -> https://goo.gl/maps/BnDgCoU8sB2NSmci7 you'll see a minor road just off the eastbound carriageway which is newly built, joining two other minor roads east/west. With the dip in the N22 eastbound at that point, everything lines up almost perfectly such that a car travelling westbound on that minor road looks like it is driving westbound along the eastbound N22 carriageway. Nearly gave me a heart attack!

Same! This has caught me out on more than one occasion, quite jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Would a few sections of noise barrier cover off the lights on that section?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

TLDR: Temporary traffic management is currently in place which will be adjusted significantly on Tuesday 7th February 2023, with a temporary speed limit of 60km/h in operation. Existing N22 traffic will be diverted onto a diversion road, to facilitate road construction works on the new N22 road. These roadworks, including the traffic diversion, will be on-going at this location until Sept. 2023.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The home stretch now. I hope DroneHawk is floating around the area soon to see what's going on around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

On a somewhat bemusing note, at 2:40 in the video, you can see a car going around and around the roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

How the hell did you spot that... it's you isn't it?

Have to say macroom itself is a different town now, dont have to clock watch for a time to go in or sit in traffic, it also seems like the guards are driving up and down a lot more, if it takes 2 minutes to do a drive around as opposed to 20 minutes before, i might be imagining that though.

When is the other section due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Apogee

Report in the Examiner on the effects of the bypass on passing trade. Mentions that "it is due to be completed by the first quarter of 2024."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It will be made up for by locals, or people specifically diverting to go to the town. This is what has happened in every other town that has been bypassed.

“Passing trade” really applies only to people on foot. If you’re driving a long distance, you’ve already decided on where you’re going to stop to eat before you set out. And heavy traffic through a town actually discourages people from stopping there, because it will makes it harder to get back on the road afterwards.

If we’re heading further west than Kenmare on a holiday, we usually stop in to the Mills in Baile Bhuirne for lunch. When the new road opens, I’ll do the same - it’ll be much nicer without the traffic streaming past the window.

The parking in the shop in Ballyvourney is quite awkward between the limited spaces, strangers not following the usual parking setup and the busyness of the road. It’ll be much easier post road opening

One serious group the businesses in Ballyvourney will miss is the workers themselves. They made good use of that deli the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I know you both will only visit Ballyvourney for Shani Kebab House, under the guise of "shop" or "mills" visit. Own up.

Seriously though, the towns will actually become proper towns again. It might take a few years (Fermoy as an example) but trade will become much better and people will properly visit the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

I see Michael Creed is saying July for the road opening of the second section as far as Toonlane and the Autumn for the final section. Good news indeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Can anyone confirm that this temporary new layout is in effect at the Western end, as OSM seems to indicate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Salvadoor

Yes it is

Advertisement