Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

I’m very happy about this early opening with Christmas family travel west on the cards, but I can’t see how it’s legal. The city council partially closed the road I live in for two days last year to put in speed bumps and even that required lots of “process” over the preceding months - notices published in the paper, etc. There are always provisions for councils to undertake emergency works without planning permission but this would hardly meet the definition of an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Brendan75

There is a legal duty of care on the developer, Cork County Council, to ensure the public safety of motorists, cyclists and pedestrians at this unauthorised junction and roundabout (without planning permission). Cork County Council may be liable in negligence because it is well known, including on this forum, that people are very apprehensive about vehicles coming down at high speed into this unauthorised junction, which was not in the original planning authorisation.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

View from Clonfadda overbridge today (Thursday), the day before opening. Last time I'll be seeing the road this quiet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Just listening to a Cork County Council offical speaking right now on Morning Ireland.

He said it was the contractor that approached them earlier this year with the idea of the partial opening.

Hopefully that corrects some political stunt suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I think I was the only person on here making the suggestion that it was a stunt. But: it was only the reworking of the road to create a temporary junction that I thought was a political stunt. Partial openings are fine, but this still looked like messing around.

But if they were approached earlier this year, why didn’t the Council do their part and get the legal bits sorted? If there really is no planning here, it means that if anything were to happen at this junction, the injured parties could take the council to the cleaners for allowing an illegal construction. (I actually think there is some kind of legal permission in place, but it isn’t visible in the normal places, and that’s a bad sign)

And before anyone starts piling on: I'm really happy that this section of the road is opening. I just think the way it’s happened has been a bit of a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Brendan75

Agreed, there has to be transparency in all planning permissions otherwise there may be allegations of abuse of power, corruption and other forms of skullduggery.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

The words ”no way they’re letting Varadkar have it” were used in the story that I heard when this partial opening was first mentioned, and the odd date did suggest that they were working to a gap in someone’s diary, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that An Taoiseach Micheál Martin is doing the blather and cut this morning..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD: Lads keep the abbreviations **** out of here, especially on a day like today. Take it to Twitter where it belongs.

Of all days can we not be negative on this thread today.

@yerwanthere123 's photo would have made a much better pic than the one RTÉ chose for the story above, where the angle makes it look like the road is unevenly surfaced - it’s far from it.

It’s a really impressive piece of construction, and the western side will be even more so. The terrain here is probably the most difficult of any major road project. It’s just a shame we can’t get Ovens-Macroom lined up to fill the big gap that this scheme will now leave in the N22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

An elderly lady has been killed by a lorry on main Street in Macroom. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I just drove along the bypass, lovely road. Big chunks of sheer rock by the sides showing the work they put in. Wouldn't fancy using the millstreet turn heading west during rush hour. Sorry heading East, went up it to avoid town, didnt notice the west one.

There are gardai at the coolcower roundabout and the millstreet road trying to divert as many as possible away from the town because of that accident.

How long until google maps update roads usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Just on it heading west, already people are ignoring the stop signs and driving straight on at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Awful to hear on what should be a great day for the town. The prick in me says if only they hadn't done the ribbon cutting exercise but on the flip side, at least there's a good road diverting traffic now (scant consolation to the family).

Sounds like a good road anyway, lot of dynamite used. Must trek west as an excuse to use it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I understand it’s just the Macroom bypass element opening today? I’ve hardly ever needed to use that road thank god but isn’t Ballyvourney bad enough too?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 peter.teahan

Sad start to what should have been a great day for Macroom. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Horrible thing yo happen today and a reminder of how important these schemes are for road safety

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

Ah yeah. Tiz well known that the original N22 was laid down 2000 years ago by an immigrant crew supplied by the middle-east family business "Jesus, Mary and Joseph Roadworks Ltd". I heard Jesus himself was responsible for rolling the stones away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Very sad proof that opening this scheme early was the right thing to do. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

Nobody is saying here that opening the eastern part of the scheme wasn't a good idea. Of course its a no brainer.

The debate centres around the issue of the temporary roundabout at Carrigaphooca. There has been clear political manoeuvring to get this unauthorised junction tacked onto the end of it. Like has been said above I hope Cork CC have covered themselves with regard to the planning status of this unplanned junction. If they haven't there could be serious legal issues arising as a result.

I will also add my condolences in relation to todays fatality. Lets hope thats the last ever roads related fatality in the town centre. RIP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The RTE article linked above says the rest of the scheme won't open until early 2024. Previously the opening date was guided at Q2 2023 - quite a slippage.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

DroneHawks latest video

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Never at any stage was it supposed to open in Q2 2023. It was always expected to take 3.5 years to build, with an expected opening date in Q3/4 2023. Since covid it seems to have bounced back and forth between Q4 2023 / early 2024, so worst case scenario we're potentially looking at it opening around three months behind schedule. With everything that's happened in the world since construction started back in early 2020, I'd say that's pretty good going.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

1 person on here has consistently stated that it’s a bad idea.

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Pretty impressive how quickly OSM gets new roads shown compared to Google Maps.

Advertisement