Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

i would suggest dublin-mitchelstown-mallow-rathmore-barraduff-killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Shorter but terrible roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Dublin - Limerick - Newcastlewest - Abbeyfeale - Castleisland - Farranfore - Killarney is the most direct route and it's motorway and good N roads all the way. Google Maps says, 3 hr 44 min (308 km). Going via Cork = 4 hr (351 km). Going via Mallow = 3 hr 42 min (307 km) but sections of the N72 are seriously crappy.

I would have always used the via Limerick option without question.

Obviously, the time can be different depending on traffic delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Keep it simple and stress free and go Dublin-Cork-Killarney, it's a no brainer for anyone used to doing the journey.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Agreed.... but just for the time being don't hit Dunkettle at rush hour either end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I don't know about it being stress-free. The JLT & N40 can be a nightmare and the current Macroom - Ballyvourney old bit of the N22 is no fun either. Plus it's 43km and at least a quarter of an hour longer.

When I lived in Dublin I never gave the via Limerick route a second thought, but everyone to his/her own 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'd find the Cork route less stressful outside of peak hours alright. Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest, Adare versus JLT and Baile Bhuirne.

And soon only JLT, and also soon no more JLT. It will be a much more relaxing journey I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Adare alone is worse than what Macroom used to be.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I have foreign friends who went on holiday in Kerry last month. I told them to go via M8 all the way to Cork then take N22. Driving in a foreign country is stressful enough without having to negotiate small towns too. And it’s not even that much longer in journey time: When the western section of this new road is open, the travel time difference between going via Mallow or via Cork will be only 10-12 minutes or so, but the drive itself will be so much easier.

I don’t know were other people are working these things out from, but using Google Maps: from Dublin Airport to the little park in Killarney where the jaunting cars are is 315 km and 3h21 (best time) via M8, N72 (the shortest route).

If you go all the way to Cork and take N40, N22 to Killarney, then it’s 353 km (+38 km) and 3h36 (+15 minutes) now. You really won’t notice the extra 15 minutes travel time on a journey that’s the guts of 4 hours anyway, but staying on major roads for the biggest part of the journey will mean you arrive far less tired than if you took the “shortest” way.

As for Limerick, I could understand why you’d to that if you were heading for the Dingle peninsula, but I’d never send someone that way for Killarney: it’s no shorter in distance than N72, and you have to go through so many towns and villages after Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I go down a lot and it is far superior to the N72. The roads are of a decent standard, the only issue is the traffic in the towns which you would also get with N72 and, currently, via Cork/N40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Any date for when the next section is open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

June, apparently. Oh that’s next month. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Doesn't look like it's that close to being ready, as I pass. June would be great.

My understanding is that this next opening is only to the junction at eastern side of Bailie Mhic Íre.. the final small section out to the Western side of Baile Bhuirne won’t be ready until October.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes indeed, Carrigaphooca-Tonn Lain in June/July, the rest later in the year.

Noticiable from DroneHawk's videos recently also with tarmac down on the intermediate section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That intermediate section opening would be great as it has by far the bit of road being replaced on the whole scheme.

Yes, and it will get rid of that really unsafe temporary tie-in. I’ve only driven this road four times since it opened, and on three of those, I saw a near-miss involving traffic between the old and new roads on that temporary roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Does anyone have any update on the (rumoured) early opening of the next section?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Torrey

I don't see the point in opening the carrigaphooka to Ballymakeera section if the whole thing will be finished a couple months later, they are flat out laying the road surface as far as the steel bridge on the western end. With good weather all summer it could be open by September.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If it’s ready to go it’ll get traffic off that horrendous section between Lissacresig and Ballymakeera.

It may save someone’s life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Correct - if it can save 1 life get it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Has there been any updates recently around progress, surely the weather conditions are enabling the pace to be maintained or increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

June 2023 DroneHawk Update:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cartoncowboy

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Post edited by rounders on

11th of August is the prelim date. To be confirmed but fingers crossed.

A pity, two weeks after the homecoming for the Cork footballers if last weekend is anything to go by so Ballyvourney residents will have to navigate the bends on route to the South Mall

(N22 Macroom bypass will close from the 8th to the 11th to facilitate the removal of the roundabout at Carrigaphooca)

October then for the last 6km

All per Radio Kerry just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Torrey

There will be a big clamour for the temporary roundabout at Carrigaphooka to remain I'd imagine, the local councillors will be out in force!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Thankfully decision making isn’t at a councillor level.

What clown would want an at grade roundabout permanently plonked in the middle of a 2+2 road.

Good news that there's less than eight weeks left for that roundabout. I think I've used this stretch of road just six times, but have seen some pretty close shaves at this roundabout on three of those occasions - it appears to be blind for traffic heading west on the old N22. The old-road traffic actually has priority heading west here, but it seems most drivers on the new road don't realise this fact, and just keep driving.

The sooner it's gone, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Those who designed the Turlough-Westport bypass apparently ...

Advertisement