Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Keep an eye out for Whitewater and their range. Clotworthy Dobbin is an awesome Brown that others can only aspire to. Ewe Rebel is one of the best IPA's that you will get anywhere, while their Hen Cock and Pigeon Rock is a superb Red that is very easy to drink yet with a sweet malt about it. Also a big fan of Hilden; Headless Dog is a grand wee ale and the harder to find Barney Brew, a peppered IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

"Zingibeer" now availabel in Supervalu I think. It is an Irish product and only ginger beer on market.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah heyor, can't be havin' people enjoyin' themselves they might lose the run of themselves.

Event dismissed by Them Who Know Better.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

That Oktoberfest thing in the docklands was an abysmal event, crap beer, crap "entertainment", crap prices, crap crowd management.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It was decent the first few years it ran then it became of victim of it's own success. I used to work in one of the offices right beside it and I remember leaving work at 5 on a Friday and being able to stroll right in and get a table. In subsequent years the line was massive from early on and there was an unsavoury element hanging around making it feel unsafe and unwelcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Spotted this in an off licence in Smithfield at the weekend. Thought they were starting early.

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not at all bad - when in date!

O/T but our local Dunnes now has an extensive Christmas section 🙄

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ended up at it for multiple hours one year, work went there at ~5 and then some friends came in about ~7.

Heard the same five or six tracks from the band maybe five times each.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've been enjoying 9 White Deer, Stag Bán pale ale in my local lately. Lovely, light, balanced drop.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything nice to say about their Imperial BA Stout,though. Thought it was a flavoured mess of a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Really enjoying Wide Street Brewing's Valhalla. At 9.7% it's a great room temperature sipper (I may have to pick up another one for xmas day). The tartness is offset by the warmth of the abv and the oakiness from the barrel ageing. It's fantastic to have an Irish brewery eschewing the DIPAs and hoppy East coast IPAs etc and doing something so unique but also making beers such high quality beers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've just bought a bottle of imperial stout that was aged for over 5 years in French oak casks. It got me thinking, what's the longest barrel aged process for this kind of beer? I know Galway Bay did one recently enough that was aged for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Just finished an Irish Red Ale 7.5% Vol from Whitefield Brewery in Templemore..I drank it at room temperature, it's lovely, no nasty aftertaste..

Def buy this again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭adaminho

Anyone try the naughty and nice chocolate stouts from Vocation yet? Had the whipped nougat and the malted honeycomb stouts and they're amazing. Looking forward to try the other 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Krombacher today for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Liked the name. Will sip over Xmas.

Pleasantly surprised with the cost of beers at the Mace just off South Circular Rd near entrance to James hospital. Tiny shop, quite remarkable how much choice of beers they can cram into a tiny part of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A White Hah Yule last night, delightful as always. Tried the O Brother/Bierhaus Red Ale collaboration, tasted stronger than the 4.7% and a fair whack of bitterness too, enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 worldreporter

I drink Guinness for three months in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

White Hag Gola Secca, dry Italian stout. Not bad but not great, nice and dry but a tad watery for me.

I tried the Bierhaus collab too and really enjoyed it, one of the better red ales I've tried in recent memory. It's funny it almost reminded what some Irish brewers would call a pale ale with the strong malt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

hey lads, i have a slab of 24 cans of elevation. every can i open is basically froth. am i missing something obvious? no matter how slow i pour it into a pint glass i end up with 80% froth. any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is it cold enough? The higher the temperature the more foam you'll get.

Are you pouring it into a macro-branded glass? Industrial lagers are bad at head retention so the glasses are etched to offset that. That will mean a huge persistent head on beers brewed to sale strength like Elevation.

Low abv beers like 2/3% can sometimes be excessively frothy in my experience but 4.8% elevation shouldn't do that. Are they short dated perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have had serious issues with Whiplash Rollover in recent months in all sorts of glasses.

thanks for replying. ive loads of different types of glasses from breweries, i usually put cans in fridge a day or 2 before drinking, so they are well cold. theres really no difference whether its a warm or a can thats been in the fridge for a month. driving me mad.

june 23. although ive had these since last august. i store them in the utilty room and then throw them in the fridge when space arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Issues here with O Haras Leann Follain. No matter what glass was used or what temperature it's at absolutely no lasting head at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

All froth. Takes an age to pour/settle. Will leave it off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stronger beers tend to not retain a head for very long. Not sure this is a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I've never really had a head on Leann Follain. No issue with that at all. It's one of my favourite stouts.

Advertisement