Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

2 slabs Carlsberg (48x 500ml cans) for €35 in 2020. 73c a can. Same two slabs would cost you €81.50 today at a minimum.

Alcoholics were not the ones buying two or more slabs at a time. It was normal people trying to save money, stocking up for xmas, parties, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

New 60 Ships Down from GBB. Not as strong on tonka as I remember last years version. I might pick up another tomorrow alongside a 200 Fathoms, to try side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I have mine in the fridge and a can of the non-BA one to have another night. I have a vague memory of GBB indicating they would BA some of it, so I got extra cans to stash away - glad I did!

My stashed aways cans/bottles rarely last me long enough to try it that way. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

My trick is to bury the stash under loads of other things so I don't see it therefore forget about it till moments like this...! I put a sticker on the bottom, apparently I bought it back in April 2022!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Have recently discovered Guinness West Indies Porter - a less creamy alternative to traditional Guinness but has a slightly sweeter taste. Haven't seen it on tap anywhere and only select few off licences seem to have it in stock. Would highly recommend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If you like West Indies, try Guinness Foreign Extra Stout: a lot of the same characteristics, but stronger. Most of the supermarkets carry it.

I’m not sure they’ve ever had that one on tap. They had the Dublin Porter though, which was launched at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

That dublin porter was great. Drank it all night at a wedding in the schoolhouse and the lack of (severe) hangover the day after was a pleasant surprise. That .3% made a difference. But there was still plenty of flavour.

Love the west indies and foreign extra too, but not for sessions

Havent seen the milk stout or the dublin porter in a few years though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭brokenbad

I think Dublin Porter was discontinued a while back - used to see it stocked in Dunnes Stores, Supervalu and Carry Out alongside West Indies Porter but haven't seen in a long time now.

Drinking the Island's edge stout with 50 mls of coffee liqueur, the aldi DRIP stuff. It works out as roughly 5% abv and the blandness of the islands edge makes it a great mixer. I've done it with creme de cacao as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I still think, given the brewery and the main flavour profile being tea, they should have just called it chai-neken...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

had a can of regular guinness the other day, not sure if they changed anything but it tasted very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭adaminho

Sample dropped in by a rep today. Supposedly being available in keg here soon. Its now being brewed in Shepherd Neame under licence.

How is it? I never really like Tiger but I think I liked this one. Think I had it in a few Thai restaurants but could be a similar sounding name

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have fond memories of drinking it on the beach in Thailand but its just another unremarkable lager. Probably will be sold here as a "premium" lager like Moretti along with a slightly higher price tag than usual macro lagers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Was in Thailand last year and got sick of Singha very quickly, ended up drinking Heineken if it was available instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭adaminho

It was grand, light tasting but its 5%. 630ml bottle as well, I tend to try new stuff a bit but end up going back to what I know and I'd class this as try a few and switch back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tiger is the only lager that seems to somehow have me running for antacids or more serious stuff (Pepcid, Nexium) after maybe two pints so I'd be very happy to see an alternative to it as the default and only draught in Indian restaurants.

I'd be happier if it the local independent breweries lager or session IPA, of course.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Saw a lot of chat about sours in another thread this weekend. Did any of ye try the O Brother X Bierhaus collaboration, Lionn Buidhe Bhrighde? Described as a dry hopped sour made with Mosaic hops. I think it's the kind of sour that people are looking for, but apparently it's sold out in a lot of places.

I thought it was very good. Always seems to be on the shelf in Molloy's Francis Street in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had an Errigal Donn, brown ale, in Bierhaus, Galway last night. A lovely beer. Nutty, some sweetness, hint of coffee/chocolate. Very impressed. Hadn't heard of Errigal before it.

Dec from Otterbank brews for them. Some of the beers look very like former YellowBelly recipes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anybody here tried Gimp Mask, the pinot noir brett stout from Otterbank? Got one in my local Fine Wines last night and enjoying it slowly tonight. Similar to some of the specials 8 Degrees did some years back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not sure I'd want to be seen buying that in public!

😂

The only guy in Limerick who stocks it is a proper connoisseur of good booze. He wouldn't judge me. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had something on tap called Pow! Pale Ale in the relatively newly refurbished Hole in the Wall Galway on Thursday. Was decent, no idea who is making it though or whether it is just a new brewery.

They also had a gluten free lager on tap and a stout that was empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bigned

Drinking this today! Got it in a Moldovan shop and fairly sure it's from Siberia in Russia. It's nice, reminds me of miller only smoother.

Advertisement