Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Nothing new but just having a bottle of Lidl own brand 'Crafty' Larger. It's up there with some of the best German Helles I've had, really is!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Rye River "Crafty" (Lidl) "Grafters" (Dunnes) and another one in Tesco I can't remember the name of is actually really good, and cheaper than buying the same stuff under their own name 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I've been to that pub and eaten there.

Their drinks are excellent. If you ever get the opportunity to visit, do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I know they are all Rye River but the Lidl beers are superior to their other supermarket offerings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

they are not the "same stuff" either, the recipes are different for the three off brands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 seylen

Does anyone know where to find tomato beer? I know it exists, but I can't find it. I really want to try it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't think there are any around in Ireland at the moment. Craft Central had a Ukrainian one last year, Pomo d'Oro, but that's long gone now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That was a spambot 'asking' so I don't think they're too pressed on the matter. I suspect tomato beer is very bad for servers anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Tomato beer pairs great with spam.

How about with chips? 😉

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Solas is the Tesco one. They are different - I like the Crafty American Wheat, but the Rye River one is different (and a notch above). I'm more frequently in Lidl, but like the Grafters Extra Pale. They used to do a lovely Solas Brown Porter too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I used to think the Crafty American Wheat was one of the best value hoppy beers out there, but I feel like it's gone downhill a bit in recent years. Doesn't have the same hoppiness it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭adaminho

Was there a few years ago. Funniest thing was the lad asking for a vegan menu when the walls are covered in taxidermy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Well I've been going "Backwaters" much more since they launched that. Currently €2.50 in Tesco!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Don't get that one up north but I'll keep an eye out next time I'm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Off topic but if anyone is close to Rascals in Inchicore on Sunday, I bought 2 tickets for a showing of Intermission that I wont make, happy to give them to a good home

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This good weather has me reminiscing about nights out in Galway in pre-Pandemic summers, especially in the Salt House. Now I'm craving a bottle of original recipe Of Foam & Fury. The new little cans just aren't the same!

Are there any good DIPAs or similar out there that would have similar flavour profiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah I’m a bit P’d off with GBB’s strategies these days. They seem to be wanting to push punters towards buying 330ml cans of everything. OFAF I kind of get because it’s kind of a heavy hitter but the Bay Ale and Full Sail shoukd st least be in 440ml cans. Chopping around the range isn’t great either. I was in Salt House yesterday and was told Buried At Sea is discontinued. Time was they had two stouts on the go. I forget the other one as I was a BAS fan. Ostara isn’t that great imho and it’s hard to get a right impression as well with those pi$$y little 330ml cans. Seems like they’re in it fur tge cash grab now or she’s disappearing up their own jaxies!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stormy Port was the other stout/porter. That disappeared for ages, came back as a 440ml special, and then hung around for a while again. They were very different drinks though, and both well worth having.

I'm having Western Herd's Spanish Point American pale ale and a Trouble Brewing Fresh Prince of Kildare tonight anyway.

Thanks! Yes, Stormy Port. That was it. Definitely a good core I’d have thought. I had a pint of Flaggy Shore, their oyster stout yesterday and I wasn’t left feeling too enthusiastic. Mind you I had a Lindemans Frambroise just prior so that would have altered my impression.

Im having a Western Herd Siege right now. It’s a great beer I think. I have the Spanish Point in the fridge so will try that next. Haven’t had it before. Western Herd seem to just be improving more abd more as time goes by. Personally speaking I found their earlier stuff very hoppy and it seemed to give me attrocious hangovers so I gave them a bit of a berth for a while but I’ve recently tried their stuff again and really like it. I’m delighted for them as well. I’m from Clare so it’s great being able to support the locals and county colours don’t come into it now. I’d be drinking their stuff anyway.

• Advertisement

O'Hara's DIPA is good.

As regards flavour profiles, covid destroyed my sense of smell 2 years ago and I'm still trying to build it back up ☹️ put on weight because I get less satisfaction from a given portion of food. Stopped buying nice whiskeys because I just can't enjoy them any more. It sucks. I'm trying smell therapy but the effects are very limited so far. I don't think I'll ever get back to 20% of normal.

Christ! That’s awful and I’m sorry to hear that. Lost my sense of smell for a fortnight with Covid this time last year and it was what really scared me. It came back but but I do often wonder if it’s quite as good as it was.

Sorry to hear that, man. Hope time and the therapy help. I only lost my taste and smell for 24 hours with the first bout of COVID and it didn't happen at all with the later variants.

I tried the Western Herd Wolf Hound IPA tonight. Over 10%, a beautiful colour, and powerfully hoppy. Between this and the Fresh Prince last night I think I've satisfied my craving for the old OFAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tonight's haul from the liquor store near me in Bermuda. Brazilian lemonade is particularly nice so far.

Having a Jai Alai from Cigar City Brewery. Absolute gorgeous - a "big" beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Maybe an odd question, but does anyone remember how cheap a 20 pack of 330ml bottles went for before MUP.

Tesco are selling 20 bottles of Heineken for €23, which is pretty good even with MUP. €1.15 a bottle is solid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Heineken used to regularly be €18 for 20 bottles without breaking too much of a sweat to get it, coors light €16, Carlsberg €16, Bud €15.

2 20 packs for €25 is the cheapest i ever saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Thank, wow it really was for nothing a few years back.

• Advertisement

You can thank FG for that increase. And FF for removing the below cost selling ban that would have negated the primary argument for MUP

Advertisement