Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling- what’s gone wrong and where do we go from here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Nobody is talking about 'dumb' pulling on the ball except you. Did you ever see John Fenton or John troy? I don't you have. You can pass a ball 20 or 30 yards to a guy om the ground.. look at sideline cuts man. The next development on the sidelines is moving the ball accurately on the ground by the guy receiving the sideline pass. Use your noggin. Its obvious effective ground hurling will reappear ...probably sooner than you realise.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 25,048 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A sideline ball is a very different thing because nobody can tackle you.

Game moves on. Using a fella like Troy who played 25 years ago is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Trying to convince a Limerick hurling fan that theres a problem with the handpass in hurling is like telling an Argentine soccer fan that theres an issue with diving in soccer. They are not interested as everything seems perfect when your on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I am, you're quoting me while shiteing on about banning the handpass, You're the only person who brought up banning the handpass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It is interesting (to me anyway) that criticism of the current game gets dismissed as people looking to turn the clock back to the 80s or 90s.

It’s not really much of an argument.

It’s been a trend in hurling commentary for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Looking forward to the 2023 season

I’d say it’s down to management & tactics to over come the problem’s hurling is facing.

The game always evolves so let it flow

Problem’s that can & need addressing are increasing attendances, respect for referee’s & keep the club game growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Falling attendances and the problems with how the game is played are not separate issues.

Its the 'let it flow' attitude thats the problem. At some stage a reset is required or the game descends into a farcical foul a second game and its not far off that now. The 2022 Munster Final was hailed as the greatest in decades and a lot of that was down to the refs decision to 'let if flow'. Anyone who thinks that should continue is deluded and short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Advertisement

When I say let it flow I mean let the tactics, management systems, defensive & attacking strategies develop naturally.

What’s hot now is the short hand passing & ability to score effectively from your own half. In 2 or 3 or even 5 year’s time there’ll be something else that will take over or evolve from those.

If they keep tampering with rules & some stuff suggested here your just going to encounter another set of problems.

sometimes the right thing to do is step back & let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

i would often have agreed with you, but I think things are a bit different at the moment.

Because of the current ball and the fact that there has is no regulation of hurleys, the scoring zone is just massive now, it’s about 2/3rds of the field.

Given that, I can’t see how, at the higher levels, hurling won’t always be hugely focused on possession unless changes are made.

I think the problems are more fundamental than just tactical fads that will be made obsolete when someone tries something new.

While nothing has really changed since the thread started, at least people are talking about the issues now.

Im not suggesting stopping evolution even if that was possible but the rules are being broken. You cant just ignore that and call it evolution.

The Munster final was the game of the year. I'm sorry but it was a 'let it flow game' . Change the rules so that type of game is played more often. I'm all for clamping down on throwing and steps but I'm all for more tackling and harder hits aswell. The days of the light forward diving and getting a handy frees are gone and thank God. The All Ireland was reffed well except for the throws and Walters 11 step shalom with the ball in his paw.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Indeed the final was refereed very well except for the small matter of the team whose approach to the game is based upon illegal handpassing when under pressure somehow escaped being penalised even once for the dozens of throws they committed while going on to win by two points. That's the refereeing to strive for alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Why do say its illegal handpassing. How do you know it's a throw. If there is there is a mili-second where there is the tiniest fraction of a gap between the ball and hand, does that not count as a legitimate handpass.

I just googled to see what the position is. Came across this - albeit 12 years ago. Maybe the overall context has changed since:-

“The ball must be released and struck with a definite striking action of the hand,” declared Daly – as if to say simple as that. “So the pop, or the sling, or the throw, or whatever way you want to describe it, is not allowed. It must be released and then struck, so there should be clear daylight between the ball and the hand, so that you see it being struck.

There are so many subjective elements there - how much clear daylight is needed, what does it mean by needs to be seen to be struck. Presumably means seen by the ref. How is the ref going to know if there is 1 milimetre or 1 inch between the ball and hand. If the ball is 1 milimetre away from the hand, it is regarded as being released. And then if contact is made again, surely it is regarded as then being struck again. I know it's all a bit technical, but you cannot just accuse the team of illegal handpassing - you do not know that is the case.

We've been around and around on the handpass already...many times over the years. There has to be an obvious gap between the hand and the ball and the ref should blow a free ( indirect would be sufficient) every time. At the moment in the white heat of battle a ref is not going to pull Mike Casey for a throw to Nicky Quaid . The consequences are too high and the ref will get lambasted. Mike Casey does the 'extended arm and release' ..no striking of the ball. Will o Donoghue does the ' round house sling' ..got penalised against Galway. Tom Morrissey does just a regular throw. Kyle Hayes does a proper handpass. Declan Hannon does a throw whilst looking at the ref in an 'I dare you' mode. I love limerick as a team..theyve kicked the arses of the establishment for a long time now and they'd still win if they adjusted their handpasses ..they are a significantly better team with better players ,passing and coaching but they foul the ball. Kilkenny traditionally take the pee with steps. From DJ through power through Walter. Colin 10 step Fennelly is the most blatant bug again it's a reffing issue.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

To quote Robert de Niro in Ronin whenever there is any doubt there is no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

If there is only 1 mm gap between the hand and ball, then you can't see a definite sticking action so a free should be awarded. Better still, change the rule to there should be a 50mm gap between the hand and ball during a handpass. I don't think anyone is going to get too excited if the gap is only 25mm but it should eliminate all those instances where you don't know if it is a handpass or throw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭flasher0030

ok. Define precisely what a definite striking action is. Not just some general comment - but a definition that leaves no doubt to referees as to what is correct and what is not. To me, it is subjective and cannot be defined precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

I agree with you, you cannot define a definite striking motion. That is why I state that at some stage during a handpass, there should be a 50mm gap between the hand and the ball. This should eliminate the blatant thrown pass. To me at some stage during a legitimate handpass, the hand has to move backwards to give momentum to the ball. Now people could argue as to whether the gap is 25mm or 50mm just as they can argue at the moment as to whether a player has taken 5 or 6 steps or a legitimate 4 steps. However in both cases, a team cannot complain if a free is given against them for taking 10 steps or if it unclear as to whether there was a gap between the ball and the hand. If they do complain, I would say to them to learn how to pass the ball so that no one is in any doubt as to the legitimacy of the handpass. There were very few issues with the handpass until the last 10 years, there is no reason why there should be in future. Teams throw the ball for a reason and that is because there is an advantage in doing this. It is quicker and more accurate. For what it is worth, I think Limerick would still be the best team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Nail on the head here! The biggest issue with hurling, and the GAA in general, is money. Its head in the sand stuff by the GAA. There should be a set budget for each county team in Ireland, equal for all counties. Distributed by the GAA from the central coffers. Wealthy donors and sponsors have changed the GAA and are doing big damage IMO, although their intentions are good. The county game is becoming more like NFL franchises at this stage. Time for the GAA to admit that we crossed over the amateur/professional threshold years ago and put regulations in place around the money.

All I read is complaining about a stupid hand pass rule.

i propose let them throw it so at inter county level.

Id agree It’s a rule that get’s abused so much & so much inconsistency from referee’s that the only option is to let them throw it.

We are lucky to live in a Capitalist state. There is zero chance of all counties getting the same amount of money. That's a complete non runner. The disparity in the sizes of counties is huge. Cork has more clubs than Connacht but you want to see them getting the same money as Leitrim. I agree that professionalism has creeped in . I'm just surprised that the players haven't spoke up more. They are happy to see a guy coming in and getting paid to train them while they sacrifice their time and energy..especially grating in the club scene

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

That's easily the worst possible solution. Throwing it is the problem, you don't solve it by letting everyone do it by rule ffs

Really? Why

What would be so bad about being allowed to throw it?

some of the suggestions I’ve read here like not being allowed score from inside your own half or only allowed 2 or 3 hand passes would bury hurling as a spectacle.

If I can throw the ball why not just do it like a quarterback in American football? Just overarm toss it as hard as I can into a players chest? It wouldn't be a hurling skill but it would be legal. It's that what you want hurling to look like?

Even without that, if you somehow legislate to not let people do it, the problem is that throwing instead of hand passing requires neither skill not physicality, is ugly, and rewards the person who doesn't execute any skill or physicality by giving them an easy way to maintain possession. Why would you legalize that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I'm only advocating for a fixed budget for the county teams. The funding for the club game is a different story. Give each county €100k each per calendar year and that's their lot to run the county team. It would level things up and get rid of the professional managers in the game.

Advertisement