Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling- what’s gone wrong and where do we go from here.

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭randd1

I don't see how being critical of some aspects of hurling is being seen by some as a dislike for the game. You can still marvel at the brilliance of the game while wanting the stuff that adds nothing to it to be tackled.

For far too long, us hurling people have been a bit precious about the sport, unwilling to listen to criticism. And it's got to a point now where teams can't play the game without repeatedly breaking the rules on steps, barging throwing, pulling and dragging. We're seeing a growth in the diving, feigning injury, abusing officials.

Should we not be critical of these things? I don't think they add much to the game personally.

And I think changing the hand pass rule will help combat that, or at least get the ball rolling. At the beginning, it might lead to more rucks, but eventually teams will get the point that being bottled up isn't worth it, so teams will likely plan to have the ball released quicker. This will likely see less barging along with likely less breaking of the steps rule from taking the ball into contact. And with players releasing the ball from the hurl/opposite hand, it allows tacklers to get in a tackle with the hurl as opposed to trying to drag/pull because players are holding onto the ball for the pass. Teams will eventually adapt to the reality to running into bodies just won't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Stephen Long - Connacht Communications manager - came up with this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jeeez….. I’m dizzy…

Will the points total from both Provincial finals today exceed 100?

Thats the burning question

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The game itself was poor enough, and the ending epitomized some of the major problems of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

To back myself up here. I knew the guy completely over reacted from a tiny sample size.

Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 - 2.91 goals per game (just shy of the 3.00 in 2022 which is the highest since the round robins in 2018 began again - excluding covid years where it was straight ko)

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 - 3.75 goals per game (highest of the round robin iterations since 2018 excluding the covid seasons where it was straight KO)

Basically, there’s more goals than ever really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not saying you are right or wrong in your conclusions but you are using 4 years yourself which is also a tiny sample size.

In the Leinster hurling final since 2000, 16 teams have failed to score a goal.

In the previous 100 years this figure is 6.

That's taking one game - the same game - which leaves out turkey shoots, dead rubbers, etc. I think it deserves some explaining.

Averages are attractive as they are so easily calculated and have developed a disproportionate plausibility as a result. But they hide a multitude of variables, which of course is what they are designed to do.

Post edited by Rosita on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Was using 4 years because of the Round Robin format

• Advertisement

Bottom line dude, back in the day the Leinster hurling final would attract a constant 60 to 65k in Croker.

Now its under 25 k.

ok there are more games etc but that huge drop in attendance tells me something, and it’s not promising.

Think Railway Cup, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

"...back in the day the Leinster hurling final would attract a constant 60 to 65k in Croker."

That's complete and utter sh*te!!

The record attendance was in 2017 which was 60,032.

When Offaly won their historic first ever Leinster title in 1980 the attendance was 9,613. Back in the day!

Advertisement