Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watched GDT's Pinocchio, found it very underwhelming and Pinocchio himself really annoying. Not sure where the rave reviews are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

BARDO, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (2022) (Spanish) Alejandro G Iñárritu directs an epic set against the intimate and moving journey of Silverio, a renowned Mexican journalist and documentary filmmaker living in Los Angeles, who, after being named the recipient of a prestigious international award, is compelled to return to his native country, unaware that this simple trip will push him to an existential limit. The folly of his memories and fears have decided to pierce through the present, filling his everyday life with a sense of bewilderment and wonder.

Beast of Bangalore: Indian Predator (2022) 3 Episodes A vicious predator's brutal -- and murderous -- pursuit of women sends a faltering police force on a wild hunt, while a state reels in terror..

Far From Home season 1 (2022) A financially struggling teen finds himself in the world of luxury after a prestigious scholarship sends him to an exclusive school for the one percent

Paradise PD part 4 (10 episodes) (2022) 4 Parts An eager young rookie joins the ragtag small-town police force led by his dad as they bumble, squabble and snort their way through a big drug case..

HELL DOGS - IN THE HOUSE OF BAMBOO (2022) (Japanese) Bent on revenge, a traumatized ex-police officer must infiltrate a yakuza organization by befriending one of the group's most unhinged members.

The Volcano: Rescue from Whakaari (2022) Survivors' and rescuers' accounts and minute-by-minute footage fuel this gripping documentary about the deadly 2019 volcanic eruption in New Zealand..

Cook at all Costs season 1 (2022) In this kitchen contest, home cooks bid on ingredients to create dishes that will impress celebrity guest judges -- and win the cash left in their bank.

Dance Monsters season 1 (2022) In this feel-good competition, amateur dancers disguised as CGI avatars bring their best moves, hoping to win $250,000 -- and a second shot at their dreams.

Summer Job (2022) (Italian) Ten Gen Z contestants go on their dream vacation. But for a shot at staying in a luxury villa -- and to win €100,000 -- they have to work real jobs.

A Storm for Christmas (2022) Limited Series (Norwegian) Destinies collide when extreme weather traps travelers and workers at an airport, forcing them to spend the final hours leading up to Christmas together

Boogie (2021) Dreaming of becoming an NBA player, the American-born son of Taiwanese immigrants faces pressure on and off the court to upend expectations.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

We enjoyed it, thought the singing was well done, 9 year old found the odd scene a wee bit scary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its a bit wooden in fairness.............

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Half way through a storm for Christmas and it’s lovely so far !

• Advertisement

Storm for Christmas is absolutely gorgeous

While You Live, Shine (2018) Follow a record collector and musicologist in his journey to northern Greece to understand and preserve the oldest music in the Western world.

Inside the Real Narcos (2018) 3 Episodes Exposing a rarely seen perspective on the drug wars, ex-Special Forces commando Jason Fox interviews dangerous traffickers and cartel members

Dawn of the Dead (2004) In the wake of a plague, America is overrun by millions of cannibalistic zombies. A small group of survivors tries to find refuge in a shopping mall.

and as usual some older european releases, mainly italian

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

Blockbuster the latest show to be cancelled. Have to admit I completely forgot to even give it a shot.

Watched Descendant this afternoon. Documentary, recently released. It's about the descendents of the last slave ship to bring slaves to the US in 1859, some 50 years after it was made illegal, and a few years later slavery itself was abolished. So these people built a community in Alabama, but were never allowed to talk about how they got there, under threat of reprisal from the people responsible for bringing them there. The ship they were brought on was sailed up the river, set on fire, and sunk, and never found, despite several expeditions to locate it.

So the documentary follows the descendants of these people as a new attempt to locate the wreckage is launched. Very quickly though that aspect is almost forgotten about, and the focus stays on the town, and it's history, and it's people, and it's current state as a highly industrialised town.

It's really fascinating. The history itself is interesting, but so are the different ways the descendants managed to preserve their story despite never being able to talk about it, and how different people have different reactions to the discoveries that are made, and different ideas about how they should proceed.

I'm not a big fan of documentaries, but I'd highly recommend this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm on 2nd episode an easy watch, love the reference to Ireland being 1st country in world to introduce smoking ban🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

just watched 2 as well, spotted the Ireland ref too and laughed, not a bad watch after.

Well it worked out as a film for me, I've just watched 6 episodes in one go!

Loved it❤.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I was enjoying Storm for Christmas but the ending really did become over saccharine for me with everything tied up a bit too neatly. Pretty much the Norwegian Love, Actually

Inkheart (2008) Unbeknownst to his 12-year-old daughter, a bookbinder has a secret ability to bring characters to life by reading their stories out loud.

Rainforest First: Climate Protection in Central Africa (2021) This documentary focuses on the Green Gabon program in the Congo Basin and explores rainforest conservation efforts as a way to stem climate change

Added

Funlover come on there is no such thing as an over saccharine Christmas film, impossible 🤣.

Finished it....loved it.

Obviously some storylines more gripping than others but that is the nature of these kind of programmes.

• Advertisement

A Not So Merry Christmas (2022) (Spanish) A curse is placed on grinchy Chuy, who wakes up to find he's lived a full year, but is doomed to remember only Christmas Day. Every year. From now on.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Grudge of Edinburgh Part 1 (2022) (Japanese) When sinister forces threaten the peace of Britannia, a young prince embarks on a perilous journey to save his loved ones and discover his true powers.

Mothering Sunday (2021) In 1924, a housemaid meets the son of her employers' wealthy neighbors for a secret tryst that will reverberate through her later life as a writer.

Added

I AM A KILLER season 4 (2022) Death row inmates convicted of capital murder give firsthand accounts of their crimes in this documentary series..

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (2015) Katniss Everdeen and her allies bring their fight to the Capitol, as they aim to liberate all of Panem by assassinating the dictator President Snow..

Emily in Paris season 3 (2022) After landing her dream job in Paris, Chicago marketing exec Emily Cooper embraces her adventurous new life while juggling work, friends and romance.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,955 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never really liked the two-part Hunger Games finale, maybe I should go back and reassess them. Looking back on the fadó of ... JFC, only 2015???... they're both really odd fish as blockbusters go. They had angry & overt ideas about (absolute) power, the fog of war, the morality of rebellion movements; lots of really interesting material among the set-pieces and "which hottie do I want" emotional conflict within Katniss - who herself is possibly the most intentionally unlikeable protagonist of a mainstream crowdpleaser in the last 20 years. She's supposed to be a total dose. Like, this is a blockbuster series where the last act is about

The supposed hero rebels herding scared refugees towards the Presidential Palace, then bombing them so it looks like the old regime murdered its own citizens - the victims including our hero's kid sister. All of which rendered unflinchingly and as far one could with what I presume was a PG-13

They're really exceptional curios now, insofar as the blockbuster landscape now exists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

JUNG_E arrives on January 20. Stylish and intriguing teaser, this.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix moving into the Fitness business.

Netflix Aerobics? Streamer Tests Fitness With Nike Training Club Workout Videos

Some 40 years after Jane Fonda launched her first workout video, Netflix is getting in on the game.

The streamer is launching a series of workout videos from the Nike Training Club. It will launch 30 hours of sessions across two parts on December 30, just in time for that post-Christmas fitness push.

The unusual move is the latest departure from Netflix’s core business of original series and films and comes after it dipped its running shoes into the video game market with a range of online games.

Is it a precursor to taking on Peleton or just helping its subscribers lose a bit of post-Turkey weight?

Over 90 Nike Training Club workouts will be available across all fitness levels and they will be available in 10 languages. There’s plans to launch more throughout 2023.

The training programs include 13 episodes of Kickstart Fitness with the Basics, seven episodes of Two Weeks to a Stronger Core, six episodes of Fall in Love with Vinyasa, 14 episodes of HIT & Strength with Tara and six episodes of Feel-Good Fitness.

Nike Training Club is best known as an app that people use to track their own running and exercise workouts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,955 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean they could just focus on better quality programming and movies but sure that's crazy talk.

• Advertisement

I cancelled my Netflix subscription last week. This doesn't make me regret it. There's probably thousands of versions of those same workouts available for free on YouTube. They've made so many dumb decisions of late and yet its still surprising when they make another one.

Advertisement