Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭jj880

Getting very close myself. Movies like The Big Short being removed (tomorrow in this case) 😭 I always liked sticking it on every now and again.

Then you see them throwing cash at absolute tripe. Anyone ever watch the movie Idiocracy? Prophetic before its time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Isn’t running out of content the inevitable problem for streaming services that dump series that are ready to watch in one night? Terrestrial tv can drag it out for six months or so and even then they have other shows on the go for filler. What was the name of that song? 200 channels and nothing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed, which is probably why Prime, Apple et al have pivoted back towards weekly episode release. Or the middle ground of the first 3 at once, then weekly. As you say there's less risk of running out of output and you can stagger interest, extend subscriber lifespans and it's bizarre Netflix won't even try a weekly release for their marquee stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I just found I was watching it less and less. The odd film they'd have exclusively might draw my eye, but they've cancelled most of the shows I enjoyed, or ironically, kept some of them going too long, and now I don't care about them anymore. It's also the most expensive of the streamers here, and lately it feels like I'm paying them to churn out complete ****, so I've have enough for now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm kinda keeping it for the films and occasional TV pearl but the disparity in quality between Netflix's TV output and Apple is embarrassing at this stage. I honestly had the latter set to fail but it's arguably the market leader IMO. Meanwhile Netflix is burning cash on Russo Bros dross, Gal Gadot vehicles, Harry & Megan rubbish and the utterly insane amount spent on the Knives Out sequels.

I will still say the service's quality is not in the English language material anymore. All the good stuff is coming from Spain, Germany, South Korea etc.

I feel like with films I can watch them whenever, whereas with TV stuff it's increasingly hard to avoid spoilers, so they're somewhat time sensitive. So as appealing as some of the films may be, I can watch them all in a year's time when I subscribe for a month to see the end of Stranger Things.

I had until now kept Netflix as the one permanent and rotated through the other services every few months depending on what was on where. But it's become the one I use least, and quite often if I do watch something on there it's more a case of watching it because it's there, rather than actually wanting to watch it.

I've still got it until the middle of January so I am trying to squeeze in anything I did want to see before then. But even then there's only a hand full of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look at Luther from the Netflix film.

Luther: The Fallen Sun due to drop March 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm a Peleton subscriber and Netflix would have to heavily invest in their underlying platform to become a legit alternative.

I definitely agree with those who feel that the Netflix offering is lagging behind others as it appears like their first to market headstart has come to an end.

Still happy to hand them my cash given what I've committed to paying for a yearly subscription and given I no longer really consume media in any other way (eg cinema, rental vod).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement

Jeez bringing Luther back is a bit desperate. He had his run, the last one they released was crap

But Snabba Cash - the Swedish Top Boy, with a smattering of Startup is definitely worth a watch. They even created a mini Heat style shootout in one of the episodes. It's impressively done this show.

That second photo betrays an odd desperation to persist with Luther's standard set of clothes as some kind of "costume".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Alice in Borderland season 2 (2020) (Japanese) An aimless gamer and his two friends find themselves in a parallel Tokyo, where they're forced to compete in a series of sadistic games to survive.

The Casketeers season 1 (2019) Māori funeral directors Francis and Kaiora Tipene and staff temper good humor with care and respect as they help Polynesian families cope with loss.

The Battle of Chernobyl (2006) This documentary recounts the fateful night of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident and the ensuing fight to prevent further disaster.

Mathieu Dufour at Bell Centre (2022) (Canadian French) In a freewheeling stand-up performance for a packed Montreal arena, the comedian shares stories about paintball mishaps, McDonald's misdeeds and more.

Tomorrow is knives out day with glass onion and knives out added

That 90's show trailer

as trailers go that looks rubbish

out jan 19th

limited cinema release but its on netflix on jan 6th

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) 2hr 21m [12] Daniel Craig’s Benoit Blanc finds himself in an other star-studded murder mystery, joined by Edward Norton, Janelle Monáe, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr., Jessica Henwick, Madelyn Cline, Kate Hudson and Dave Bautista.

Knives Out (2019) A detective unravels the tangled web of secrets and lies surrounding the death of a successful crime novelist and his unsettling, eccentric family.

Big Boys Don't Cry (2020) A young man who grew up in an abusive children's home must revisit his turbulent past after his boyhood friend's death triggers a police investigation.

Observations at 65 South (2021) Scientists travel by sailboat to Antarctica, where they witness firsthand the harrowing effects of climate change on the world's fifth-largest continent.

Romantic Road (2021) This documentary follows an English lawyer and his wife as they recreate a youthful trip through India and Bangladesh in their 1936 Rolls-Royce...

97% Owned (2012) This documentary reveals the inner workings of the UK's debt-based financial system and the devastating impact of banking crises on ordinary citizens.

Riding High (1981) A bored motorcycle messenger begins training for a major stunt riding competition, where he'll attempt a death-defying jump known as the Devil's Leap.

Added

Coming to Netflix UK in January

January 1st

• Bad Boys II (2003) – Martin Lawrence and Will Smith reteam for another Michael Bay police epic.
    • Barbie Fairytopia: Mermaidia (2006) – In this “Barbie Fairytopia” sequel, Barbie stars as enchanted fairy Elina, who learns that a wicked sprite has captured her friend Nalu, a merman prince.
    • Crank (2006) – Jason Statham’s action thriller where a assassin has to keep his heart rate up or he will die.
    • Fighting Spirit / Hajime no ippo (Seasons) – Japanese anime series.
    • Glow Up (Season 4) – BBC series sets out to find the next makeup star.
    • Kaleidoscope (Limited Series) Netflix Original – A heist plays out over the course of several decades. Starring Giancarlo Esposito and Rufus Sewell.
    • Lady Voyeur (Season 1) Netflix Original – Brazillian crime series about a hacker finding herself thrust into a dangerous investigation.
    • LEGO Ninjago (Multiple Seasons) – Animated kids series.
    • Monster (Multiple Seasons) – Classic anime series.
    • Mousa (2022) – Egyptian sci-fi movie about a engineering student building a powerful robot to go up against criminals and the corrupt government.
    • Old Enough! (Season 2) – Japanese kids series.
    • Power Players (Season 3) – Kids animated series.
    • Robin Roberts Presents: Mahalia (2021) – Lifetime movie about New Orleans gospel singer Mahalia Jackson rising to fame in the 1940s.
    • The Age of Innocence (1993) – Oscar-winning romantic drama from director Martin Scorsese.
    • The Caller (2011) – British thriller about a young girl who looks for a new start but finds that someone still knows who and where she is.
    • The Croods (2013) – DreamWorks Animation’s prehistoric feature film featuring the voices of Nicholas Cage, Ryan Reynolds and Emma Stone.
    • The Layover (2017) – Kate Upton and Alexandra Daddario star in this romantic comedy about them getting stuck at a hotel after their flight is redirected.
    • The Way of the Househusband (Season 2) Netflix Original – Japanese anime series continuing the story of the legendary yakuza Tatsu, now a stay-at-home husband.
    • Thomas & Friends Series:
      • Thomas & Friends: Race for the Sodor Cup
      • Thomas & Friends: All Engines Go
    • Tremors 2: Aftershocks (1996) – Sci-fi comedy about a team of survivalists and scientists battling giant predators.

January 4th

• How I Became a Gangster (2023) Netflix Original – Polish crime movie following a gangster climbing up the Warsaw criminal ranks.
    • MADOFF: The Monster of Wall Street (Season 1) Netflix Original – True crime docuseries looking into the fall of the financier, Bernie Madoff.
    • The Kings of the World (Season 1) Netflix Original – Colombian drama series about five friends from the streets of Medellín who set out on a perilous journey through Colombia to recover a piece of land that was bequeathed to one of them.
    • The Lying Life of Adults (Season 1) Netflix Original – Italian drama series based on the Elena Ferrante novel. Valeria Golino stars.

January 5th

• Copenhagen Cowboy (Season 1) Netflix Original – Danish TV thriller series from Nicolas Winding Refn.
    • Ginny & Georgia (Season 2) Netflix Original – Netflix’s YA drama returns to perhaps annoy Taylor Swift again?
    • Woman of the Dead (Season 1) Netflix Original – Austrian mystery series about a woman on a vengeful quest to find out who killed her husband.

January 6th

• Mumbai Mafia: Police vs The Underworld (2023) Netflix Original – British produced documentary from Francis Longhurst and Raaghav Dar about the rise of “encounter cops” in 1990s Mumbai.
    • Pressure Cooker (Season 1) Netflix Original – Cooking reality series about eleven chefs using culinary skill to compete for $100,000.
    • The Pale Blue Eye (2023) Netflix Original – Christian Bale stars in this mystery thriller set in the early 1800s following a detective hired to investigate a gruesome murder of a cadet.
    • The Ultimatum: France (Season 1 – Part 2) Netflix Original 

January 9th

• VINLAND SAGA (Season 1 – New Episodes) – Weekly episodes of the anime series begin dropping from January 9th.

January 10th

• Andrew Santino: Cheeseburger (2023) Netflix Original – Stand-up comedy special.
    • The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker (2023) Netflix Original – True crime documentary.

January 12th

• Kung Fu Panda: The Dragon Knight (Season 2) Netflix Original – DreamWorks Television series is back with another season where Po (voiced by Jack Black) heads to India.
    • The Makanai: Cooking for the Maiko House (Season 1) Netflix Original – Japanese live-action following Kiyo living in the geisha district of Kyoto.
    • Vikings: Valhalla (Season 2) Netflix Original – Next season of the historical series that sees the heroes continue their story shortly after the tragic fall of Kattegat. Finding themselves suddenly fugitives in Scandinavia, they are forced to test their ambitions and courage in worlds beyond the fjords of Kattegat.

January 13th

• Disconnect: The Wedding Planner (2023) Netflix Original – Romantic comedy movie from Africa.
    • Dog Gone (2023) Netflix Original – Rob Lowe stars in this new biopic about a young man and his beloved dog separated on the Appalachian Trail; he and his father must begin a desperate search to find him before it’s too late.
    • Suzan & Freek (2023) Netflix Original – After going viral from posting covers on social media, a passionate music duo and couple navigate remarkable success and accompanying fame.
    • Sky Rojo (Season 3) Netflix Original – The third and final season of the Spanish thriller series from the creator of Money Heist.
    • Trial by Fire (Limited Series) Netflix Original – Indian miniseries about two parents dealing with the loss of their kids. Based on true events.

January 15th

• Don’t Say A Word (2001) – Mystery thriller starring Michael Douglas.
    • JFK (1991) – Kevin Costner stars in this political historical thriller about the Kennedy assassination.
    • Runaway Jury (2003) – Crime thriller from director Gary Fleder about a juror on the inside and a woman manipulating a court trial.
    • The Client (1994) – Tommy Lee Jones stars alongside Susan Sarandon in this Oscar-nominated crime mystery.

January 16th

• Miu404 (Season 1) – Japanese crime series about a police unit solving crimes within 24 hours.

January 19th

• Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales of the Macabre (Season 1) Netflix Original – Anime horror series based on the manga which will feature 20 stories.
    • Khallat+ (2023) Netflix Original – South African anthology movie.
    • That ’90s Show (Season 1) Netflix Original – Comedy sitcom sequel series to That ’70s Show that sees the original cast all grown up and a new generation of teenagers experiencing life in Wisconsin.
    • Women at War (Season 1) Netflix Original – France, 1914. As the German troops advance and men leave for the frontlines, four women must grapple with the devastating consequences of war at home.

January 20th

• Bake Squad (Season 2) Netflix Original – Reality baking series.
    • Big Mäck: Gangsters and Gold (2023) Netflix Original – Documentary feature from Germany on the wrongly accused Donald Stellwag.
    • Bling Empire: New York (Season 1) Netflix Original – A new-spinoff reality series that shows you what it’s like to be rich Asian American socialite living it large in the big apple.
    • Fauda (Season 4) Netflix Original – Israeli action thriller series.
    • Mission Majnu (2023) Netflix Original – Indian spy thriller.
    • Represent (Season 1) Netflix Original – French comedy series created by Jean-Pascal Zadi and François Uzan. About an educator who is thrust into the French presidential election race.
    • Shahmaran (Season 1) Netflix Original – Turkish fantasy drama.
    • Shanty Town (Season 1) Netflix Original – Nigerian series.

January 23rd

• Narvik (2023) Netflix Original – Norweigen war movie about a young soldier fighting in the trenches.

January 24th

• Physical: 100 (Season 1) Netflix Original – Korean reality series.

January 25th

• Against The Ropes (Season 1) Netflix Original – Mexican drama series. Released from prison, Ángela tries to regain the respect of her daughter, who loves lucha libre wrestling, by entering the ring as a mysterious persona.
    • The Endless Night (Season 1) Netflix Original – Brazillian drama series.
    • The Price of Family (2023) Netflix Original – Italian comedy movie.

January 26th

• Daniel Spellbound (Season 2) Netflix Original – Second season of the kids animated series.
    • Record of Ragnarok (Season 2 – Episodes 1-10) Netflix Original – Anime action series.

January 27th

• Kings of Jo’Burg (Season 2) Netflix Original – South African fantasy crime drama returns.
    • Lockwood & Co. (Season 1) Netflix Original – A new British fantasy series based on the novel by Jonathan Stroud. A tiny startup, run by two teenage boys and a newly arrived, supremely psychically gifted girl, a renegade trio destined to unravel a mystery that will change the course of history.
    • The Snow Girl (Season 1) Netflix Original – Spanish-language mystery series about a girl going missing during a parade and a newspaper journalist’s fearless pursuit to find her.
    • You People (2023) Netflix Original – Kenya Barris ensemble comedy movie that follows a new couple battling with societal expectations and generational differences. Stars Jonah Hill and Eddie Murphy,

I had to google whether it was a TV series or film; those Netflix trailers always do that. They might say when it's coming but won't say what it is.

So it's a film, lol, and the follow-up from the Train To Busan director for anyone interested.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

An anthology anime series based on Junji Ito's work? Yes, please!

• Advertisement

sorry i meant to put Jung_E on the list , its not get a definite date yet

TBD

• Jung_E (2023) – Korean movie set in the post-apocalyptic 22nd century. Starring Kang Soo-youn, Kim Hyun-Joo and Ryu Kyung-soo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Another crazy cancellation before the project sees the light of day. By the people who got them an Oscar nomination.

PS if you haven't seen Klaus, well worth checking out, very It's a Wonderful Life type of story vibe. One of my must sees at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yep, a high bar was set by Klaus.

Hope we get to see the follow up and that they're able to maintain the quality.

I'm more and more disgusted with how Netflix treats its animation. Just look at them this awards season, absolutely wetting themselves over GDT's Pinocchio, but ignoring the other 3 or 4 films that could have been genuine contenders for them. Even ignoring awards potential, they just dumped My Father's Dragon onto the platform in November, no promotion, I don't think it even charted anywhere on their Top 10s. Obviously I'm salty about that one because of the Irish connection, but it seems pretty disrespectful to spend whatever they spend on buying these films, and then not giving them the roll out they deserve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Especially frustrating as Pinocchio was the weakest of the three ‘prestige’ animated films they released towards the end of the year IMO!

They're obviously obsessed with "names" at the moment and really push anything that has something you can brand. I can be damn sure if My Father's Dragon starred Ryan Reynolds they'd have pushed it many times harder than they did.

It's the same with their gaming division. They're publishing all these indie gems, real awards winning games, but good luck seeing any promotion of them.

I really didn't like Pinocchio, but it seems that I'm in the minority there. I honestly can't belive that for a while there people were actually talking it up as a Best Picture nominee. If it didn't have GDT's name in front if it, I don't think people would be giving it the time of day.

Edit - speaking of animation not getting the promotion it deserves, Lost Ollie, which came out a few months ago, and is largely animated characters, did a lot of the things Pinocchio was trying to do, but did them all better, in my opinion. But it was thrown out on the platform with little to no promotion, despite being directed by one of the Spiderverse directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, they seem to be really bad at actually recognising good from bad in their promotion. It's like all 'content' is equal, with the only differentiator being if someone especially famous is in something. Like, they put out plenty of things that are genuinely really good, but you'd never even know they were on the platform if you didn't see some external website (like here!) talking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Alice in borderland season 2...oh that should be good. Really enjoyed the first season didn't get much hype but was a really enjoyable watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, loved the first season! Was every bit as good as Squid Game, if not better. Been looking forward to season 2 for bloody ages.

Advertisement