Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has Priority here? Almost Fatal Accident

Options

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

No cycle lane is better than a bad cycle lane. The majority are bad with no thought for how the cyclist will merge back into traffic once the poxy thing ends.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Well common sense would tell me that to just barrel across the road without taking care would not be the way to go.

Lookit, it’s clear to me the cycle lane ends at the road.

Its clear to me that the cyclist should stop and check if it’s safe before crossing.

Theres a lot of ,quite frankly, rubbish being talked here which kind of typifies certain attitudes that some folk seem to have,and that is if it’s not marked out in black and white it’s ok to do it.

They seem not to be able to think for themselves, as is patently evident from some of the replies here.

The cyclist for all their bells and whistles just got it wrong…..it happenens… happens to me …suck it up and learn from it instead of indulging in pedantic contortions on a social media platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Yeh on bike or foot, I’d give way to a car. In this instance the car has priority. Regardless I’d always give way to a car, same as when I’m driving my car I always give way to lorries, my safety is more important. when driving you have to be vigilant and ready for anything that happens, cyclists and pedestrians should be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you can come up with a better word to describe cycling positive glasses then by all means, but I think 100% of people know what "Lycra Tinted Glasses" means, maybe fewer would get "Carbon Tinted Glasses" and after that the take-up would drop off a cliff.

Its on topic, but isn't it odd how cyclists are obsessed with finding any thread and finding a way to blame the person in the car? (Am I doing it right?)

He was attempting to enter the road, since his lane was ending.

• Advertisement

Because they do unpredictable things including moving in front of people who have right of way?

TL;DR

The cyclist was totally wrong but "something about blaming cars anyway"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Lots of the usual weird trolling going on by "concerned motorists" here.

A few details:

1. There's a lot of blame going to the local authority here: this is very much more of a TII issue than a LA issue. TII were quite actively involved in this abysmal "design", both its initial version and the 2022 iteration
    2. People are saying it's a side-road, but let's be realistic, it's Ferrero and a private dwelling. It's a private entrance and should be treated as such. All proposed upgrades (one by the LA/TII and one by BusConnects) treat it as a private dwelling. There is no destination for any kind of through-traffic here. And speaking as someone who has been to ferrero a lot of times, you won't be using that road without their security taking interest.
    3. There's no direction for cyclist or driver in the current design: anyone saying "of course X had right of way" will have a very hard time proving their point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Apologies, I use LA, TII, Council in reference to the governmental group(s) who were in charge of design and implementation.

Of course, don't worry I'm just being pedantic because I think it's important for people to know that our national body responsible for road design such as this one is absolutely incompetent and putting people in danger.

• Advertisement

No one blamed cars, so I believe you either didn't read it, were unable to understand or it makes a valid point you can't dispute.

So specifically, to you, as a motorist, do you think you would have noticed the cyclist approaching? would you have slowed having observed them as there was a reasonable possiblity they would continue? or would you have carried on regardless because in your mind, perceived right of way trump's everything?

There's a couple of you here with the clear perception that the cycle track ended, could you tell us a little bit more about that?

I seem to be somewhat lacking...I can't seem to find the "yield", "end" or "dismount" signs. Could you possibly point them out to us so that the OP will know from what point they must stop?

It's hardly just your assumption that the cycle track ended....is it? I assume that since you know for sure that the cycle lane ended, that you also know WHERE it ended...

Neither driver nor cyclist got any explicit direction here. Terrible road design. A better driver would have waited, but the OP won't chance it again.

@OP please write to the council about it. You won't be the first, and I'll help you word it if you like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and it's worth reiterating - it was the cyclist, who with less warning, was the one who braked to avoid a collision here. they were the one who was approached from behind; the motorist had a clear view from the start and proceeded anyway. they wilfully drove into a hazardous situation and kept going.

Look at the words you used for the cyclist compared to the driver, its clear who you believe to be at fault.

The cyclist was a naughty scamp but the driver is a maniac who needs to see a psychiatrist.

Other road users approach everyone all the time, if your expectation is that every motorist should stop in case some other road user does something idiotic then I would suggest this is an impractical position to hold.

Switch motorist for cyclist in your question and come back to me, especially considering that one of them people is significantly more likely to fare badly in the event of a collision.

Of course right of way doesnt trump everything, but I'm not going to come to a stop everytime there is an possible interaction with another road user,

The whole point of "right of way" is to avoid accidents but also to avoid everyone having to stop and figure out who goes first.

That post seems to typify the kind of attitude some folk have.

Unless everything is marked out you are not allowed to think for yourself.

The reference to “weird trolling” by “concerned motorists” kind of puts posts like that in my virtual ‘waste paper’ bin.

I have read the full thread and can not see any “weird trolling” by anyone classing themselves as “concerned motorists”

Just genuine replies pointing out the ordinary common sense of not crossing the road unless checking the safety of that manouvre.

It kind of mirrors the sign over an open fire “Do not put hands in fire, burn injuries can occur.

You shouldn’t go near a cliff edge just because there is no sign there.

Its common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

I both cycle and drive and also walk, there is no cycle lane markings, OP should have checked, driver should have checked, if I was walking on the same path, I would be bloody mad just to walk off footpath and straight across road without checking for traffic, OP should have checked and not be trying to place blame ,just be sensible , driver should have checked in either case I would have. Both okay no harm do luckily this time.

Id say it's more likely the motorist just didn't pay attention, not that they were a maniac. What I said was if you thought this was OK having observed the video, then there is something wrong with you as you put 2 or 3 seconds of your time above the safety of others but please keep twisting my words. Switching motorist for cyclist does nothing to the situation. Imagine you were driving in the hard shoulder for some reason, your going relatively slowly (lots of scenarios as to why this might occur). I cycle up past you and cut in with 2 seconds to spare on my bike. People can argue all day about whether I had right of way or not but it's stupid cycling and I would 100% be at fault, so no, switching names makes no difference. In that case I'd be a psycho for having no concern for my safety or for your mental health had a collision occurred.

That's the difference though, if I'd been ahead for ages and had indicated, then no issue. If I'd been behind, I should slow and let you get past the junction. To come around and cut across you on my bike is dangerous and illegal, and being in front for those 2 seconds does not give me right of way and I would not expect you to stop.

I presume your not going to answer my question though. Would you have done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,594 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Because the car would have cut across in front of the cyclist, it's called a left hook. The car was the one changing direction.

Defending the indefensible, from the guy defending the driver who apparently forgot about the cyclist he passed just one second earlier? Really?

Who said that anyone was mowed down in this incident?

Would the 'anything behind' not have seen the driver indicating, and indeed seen the cyclist too? Always the excuses for the sh1ttiest of driving.

Ah, so what you are saying is that there is something wrong with the OP as he took his (incorrectly presumed) right of way and jut ploughed on through? A bit harsh, everyone makes mistakes.

It does everything to the situation as it was the cyclist at fault here. You should be asking them each of your questions. But I think you misunderstood my point, Im not asking you to switch scenarios, I'm asking you to switch the words in your question.

If it was two bikes involved would you be questioning the cyclist from the main road as much as you are questioning the motorist?

I can't possibly answer the question as I wasn't there. Would I knowing drive into someone? clearly not. Would I assume that every cyclist is going to kamikaze into my right of way, also not.

As a cyclist would I have continued off the road without looking (and hence stopping) to see a car with right of way indicating left? Absolutely not.

As a cyclist would I have continued off the road without looking (and hence stopping) to see a car without right of way indicating left? Absolutely not.

Same goes for all modes of transport tbh.

Thats not a left hook and the car didnt cut infront of anyone. The "lane" the cyclist or pedsetrian or jogger or whoever, was at and end. They continued on regardless into traffic. Anything else is in your head.

You are actually doing a disservice to cyclists (like myself I might add) with this nonsense.

Actual left hooks are a curse, cars cut across bike and buslanes all day everyday in Dublin, but this wasnt that. This was poor and dangerous cycling.

• Advertisement

Common sense Andrew, it’s a great thing to have, much underrated.

Probably, now I said probably, the car driver would have expected the cyclist (if he actually saw him)would have that rapidly diminishing thing called common sense and not have barreled across a road without taking due care.

Mind reading between cyclists and motorists hasn’t occurred yet far I I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Excellent post Cram and some much needed tips to inexperienced cyclists.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Other than the fact that its wrong, misleading, dangerous and giving incorrect advice to cyclists, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭cantalach

A key point seems to have been forgotten in much or all of the above discussion. We are required to drive/cycle with “due care and attention” (RTA, 1968). If you fail to do that, you’ve broken the law irrespective of the presence or absence of road markings and signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,594 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Common sense, such as thinking 'hey, that cyclist I passed one second ago, where did he go?'?

Didn't cut in front?

The video tells a different story. Maybe if the driver had properly cleared his side windows, he might have noticed the cyclist?

Sadly something both parties are guilty of. The OP at least realises this. Some posters here though believe that there can only be one right and one wrong party in any situation, which is a horrifyingly unrealistic view of how the real world works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the video the OP posted of the incident in question, on the first page of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gabezmail

Protect yourselves out there guys, it's a war and car drivers will always try to assert themselves over cyclists and ask questions later. Wear all the gear and pads, and ideally have a helmet-cam always running so you have footage as proof!

• Advertisement

That’s the kind of stupid post which typifies the situation we are discussing.

Theres no “war” out there .

There are arrogant bonehead motorists, there are arrogant bonehead cyclists.

Instead of encouraging cyclists to “tool up” for the conflict, it might be better to encourage them to use common sense and work with others to ensure road safety

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement